Author Topic: Feature: Importing my car from the U.S.  (Read 18557 times)

Offline CanuckS2K

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +398/-316
    • View Profile
    • Prestige Auto Detail
  • Cars: 1991 Toyota MR2 Turbo, 2005 Honda S2000, 2014 Infiniti Q50S, 2017 Ford F-150 Lariat
Re: Feature: Importing my car from the U.S.
« Reply #40 on: July 06, 2010, 09:49:52 pm »
Unless something big changes, I'm getting my next vehicle in the States.  The price difference and selection for some used models is ridiculous.

This thread is very helpful, and I'd like to thank the author and our fellow forum friends contributing to it!!

Julie, you can also check out the other recent import thread as well if you are looking to purchase from the US.

http://www.canadiandriver.com/forum/index.php/topic,67485.0.html
Owner - Prestige Auto Detailing & Hammond River Brewing

Offline Julie

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +359/-366
    • View Profile
  • Cars: nb miata, nc mx-5, e92 m3, mk6 gti
« Reply #41 on: July 06, 2010, 10:08:27 pm »
Unless something big changes, I'm getting my next vehicle in the States.  The price difference and selection for some used models is ridiculous.

This thread is very helpful, and I'd like to thank the author and our fellow forum friends contributing to it!!

Julie, you can also check out the other recent import thread as well if you are looking to purchase from the US.

http://www.canadiandriver.com/forum/index.php/topic,67485.0.html

Thanks Canuck!    :D

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-574
  • Profesional Dash Stroker
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Tundra, GTI, Triumph Tiger, KTM, C63 AMG, FZ-09, Triumph Speed Triple, VW Golf Wagon TDI, BMW 535i, Honda CRF250L, Hyundai Genesis Coupe, Mitsubishi Outlander, Lotus Exige, Subaru Impreza, Peugeot 106, BMW Z4, Toyota MR2 MKIII, Ford Sierra Sapphire
« Reply #42 on: July 06, 2010, 10:20:59 pm »
:censor:.  Now you got me looking for a 330ci zhp in red...  :banghead:

Choosing a car based on reliability is like choosing a wife based solely because she is punctual. There is more to it than that...

Murray

« Reply #43 on: July 06, 2010, 10:31:03 pm »
I did this a couple of years ago...when Cnd dollar was higher than US  ;D when buying a brand new 2007 Ducati Monster S2R Motorbike.  Definitely had all my research in order.  US border was easy.  Canadian border were A$$hole$.  A buddy of mine with me bought a bike off eBay from Texas and had it shipped to my Ducati dealership.  Cnd Border thought we had highly undervalued the bikes to save on taxes...which wasn't true at all.  Luckily I had all my research with me in a binder so they couldn't fight too hard.  They did manage to delay us at the border for 2 hours while they preceded to "investigate" us.  After it was all said and done I saved about 4500 to 5000 compared to what Canadian dealers were selling  the exact same bike for.  Would do it all again in a heartbeat.   

Offline chrischasescars

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +19/-31
  • The Voice of Reason
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 06, 2010, 10:43:50 pm »
Suppose I spend $27K instead of $40K on a new WRX.  What happened to the $13K?  Well, it might not have gone into the pockets of Subaru of Canada, but it might get spent elsewhere in the Canadian economy.  True the dealer missed out some money, but they'll get the service business, which is much more profitable anyway.

The REAL loser if you buy a Scoob in the US is SoC.  I shed no tears for them...

This is a really good point. The money saved is cash that'll end up being spent doing things like renovating homes and buying other stuff from local/Canadian businesses. The argument that importing cars from the U.S. hurts the Canadian economy is a weak one, IMO.
I used to work here.

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +758/-938
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
« Reply #45 on: July 06, 2010, 11:01:51 pm »
SoC buys the car from the Subaru mothership for some price, they mark it up and sell it to the dealer.  So, far, the money has either left the country or been pocketed by SoC.  Then, I buy the car from the dealer.  Now, there is the ONLY transaction I regret not taking place.  The dealer and sales person lose out thanks to SoC's inane pricing of their products to the dealers.

BUT, if I buy the car in the US and keep my $13K here, it seems to me that the $13K is much more of a benefit to Canada than the perhaps $2K the dealer might have made.

Why the huge price difference?  The import duty on Japan-made product is 6%.  In terms of tax burdens, etc, the massive health care costs that US employers face level the playing field in that regard.  SoC has little or no cost disadvantage to their US counterpart.

Why is the Outback, which is made in the US and subject to free trade regs, priced so much higher here?  Additional money for Soc, nothing more.

Offline Loudpedal

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +6/-6
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '08 Acura TL '08 Honda Odyssey
« Reply #46 on: July 07, 2010, 12:33:27 am »
While not a car, in 2008 I imported a new Kawasaki Jet-Ski from the States.   Simple, and saved a boatload (no pun intended).   I'd like to do it for a car or truck, but I think the MPH on the guages would drive me nuts...
Internal combustion thrust I trust

Calvin

« Reply #47 on: July 07, 2010, 01:38:17 am »
I did this a couple of years ago...when Cdn dollar was higher than US  ;D when buying a brand new 2007 Ducati Monster S2R Motorbike.  Definitely had all my research in order.  US border was easy.  Canadian border were A$$hole$.  A buddy of mine with me bought a bike off eBay from Texas and had it shipped to my Ducati dealership.  Cdn Border thought we had highly undervalued the bikes to save on taxes...which wasn't true at all.  Luckily I had all my research with me in a binder so they couldn't fight too hard.  They did manage to delay us at the border for 2 hours while they preceded to "investigate" us.  After it was all said and done I saved about 4500 to 5000 compared to what Canadian dealers were selling  the exact same bike for.  Would do it all again in a heartbeat.   
US border is easy because they don't care, so long as it wasn't a stolen item.  They don't need 72 hrs either, it's a 10 minute search, but they like it because it gives them time.

As for the Cdn guys...well, you'd be surprised by the amount of BS they see, and I don't even know the half of it.  They probably assume we're all full of crap because they see more of it on a daily basis than you would (though I've never asked, just doesn't come up in conversation).  I mean the list goes on - booze, cigarettes, clothes...cars aren't the only thing they get lied to about.
Anyway, about 15 yrs ago when my wife was working on the line, some guy comes through with a 92ish Saleen and as I recall he claimed it cost him only $4500.  My wife, knowing a thing or two about cars (my fault) figured he was not being truthful.  She calls me, I search the net & find several of the same year car, and none of them are anywhere near that low at the time.  I think (it was a long time ago) I even found the exact one he purchased, it helps having the dealer website on the fake bill of sale.  Guess who got into some poop!?  Fines and taxes does not save you any money. LOL

Who can blame them if they tend to not believe when someone comes through with something for 1/2 price? 

And, generally the only time they're pricks is if you start being one first.  And then...they just enjoy watching you get madder as they tell you what to do, and make you wait.  'cause you can't go until they tell you you can.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7210
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: July 07, 2010, 03:06:36 am »
The price difference and selection for some used models is ridiculous.

For sure!  California on its own sells almost as many cars as all of Canada...
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

mikemcm

« Reply #49 on: July 07, 2010, 09:20:07 am »
Canadian border were A$$hole$.  A buddy of mine with me bought a bike off eBay from Texas and had it shipped to my Ducati dealership. 

The CBSA person I dealt with was great. I wasn't at a border so maybe that made a difference. They were still wearing their bullet proof vest though. They were out at the warehouse earlier in the day and saw my car so they did the vin check even before I showed up. They also submitted my Form 1 to RIV for me. I don't know if they usually do that.
As for letter or recall, Honda USA allows people to check their VIN online for recalls so I didn't need that. The RIV people just looked it up. RIV also allows you to open a file up before you actually import the vehicle. This way you can submit the letter of recall ahead of time.

spidey

« Reply #50 on: July 08, 2010, 03:51:08 pm »
Ive been looking for an an older truck (2001-2006) for camping and hauling.  Maybe this would be the way to go, just keep it clsoe to the border so I dont have to drivce everywhere

payner

« Reply #51 on: July 12, 2010, 07:58:50 pm »
While it does take a lot more work to purchase and import a vehicle from the US, it is a lot of fun.
I've purchased two bikes - one >15 yrs old and one newish.  The old one I rode home across the continent - much fun!  The newer one I trucked as it came with 5 boxes of accessories and stuff that I could not have packed on the bike itself.

I found both side's customs to be satisfactory.  When I imported the Guzzi (old one) the US guys were friendly while the Cannucks simply would not (could not?) smile.  They even asked why I paid so much ??? for an old bike (kinda like asking why you paid so much for that old Ford... Mustang GT350).

The other bike everyone was friendly but the Cannucks did search the truck - not a rip it to shreds search but just checked out the cab.  Strangely enough they did not search the boxes in the bed of the truck.  However the two searchers were pleasant and polite... although I was somewhat concerned when two large gentlemen with badges were walking towards me pulling on latex gloves  :o

The Canadian Tire thing is kinda stoopid though.  They checked to make sure it was not a 'three wheeled vehicle' and that the lights worked (not that DRL's worked).  The Guzzi has neither KMH on the speedo nor DRL as you can turn off the headlight.  Doesn't matter as both bikes passed but that check, to me, is pretty dumb.

As far as keeping money in Canada  ::) oh please.
I'll buy from retailers/companies that do their work to keep me as a customer.  I buy stuff on ebay ($5 USB hub vs $25 at the local) but patronize a motorcycle dealer and pay more than the 'net as they provide excellent service.
Maybe, one day... over the rainbow... Canadian businesses will learn that you need to earn business  :P

Anyway, importing is great fun as you get to buy stuff a long way away and drive it home having adventures along the way ;D
Importing and driving can be expensive though... a friend who purchased a 911 in Texas had to buy new tires when he got home ;D 8) ;D