Author Topic: 2011 Ford Mustang GT; Day 1  (Read 45313 times)

aknutson

Re: 2011 Ford Mustang GT; Day 1
« Reply #40 on: July 01, 2010, 09:54:12 am »
Power and amenities, I've no doubt Genesis V6 is at the same level or better than the Stang. But if you factor in the looks and the bad-ass attitude (as I specifically mentioned in my post), the Genesis looks are good but too generic (very subjective, but one could even argue that it looks 'cute'), and definitely not bad-ass.
I've sat in both and the Mustang interior just feels better to me (very subjective again). The hard plastics in the Genesis didn't cut it for me. I expected more given it shares its name with the sedan.

The Genesis Coupe V6 with decent equipment level is also $35K, whereas a V6 Mustang with Pony Package comes in at about $27K, a substantial savings. Plus I would agree with the comments about the interior - especially compared to it's sedan cousin, the Genesis Coupe lacks refinement. The V6 Mustang is pretty much the definitive bad-ass performance bargain.

Offline TopGun

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +43/-165
  • Carbon fibre > Soft touch dash material
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 01, 2010, 10:59:33 am »
.....Plus I would agree with the comments about the interior - especially compared to it's sedan cousin, the Genesis Coupe lacks refinement. The V6 Mustang is pretty much the definitive bad-ass performance bargain.

Blasphemy!  You will learn to bow at the great Hyundai...makers of the finest automobiles in the WORLD!!   :run:

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7210
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 01, 2010, 11:28:06 am »

The Genesis Coupe V6 with decent equipment level is also $35K
, whereas a V6 Mustang with Pony Package comes in at about $27K, a substantial savings. Plus I would agree with the comments about the interior - especially compared to it's sedan cousin, the Genesis Coupe lacks refinement. The V6 Mustang is pretty much the definitive bad-ass performance bargain.

The Genesis Coupe V6, in the "base" model isn't "decently equipped", it's loaded.  To get the same equipment in the Mustang as a base V6 Genesis Coupe, you're going to pay about $2000 MORE for the Mustang.

While both cars are in the same category, you're comparing essentially a stripped Mustang to a near luxury equipped Genesis.  Even with the Pony package, you're missing the following items:

Automatic Climate Control
Homelink
Auto Dimming Rear View Mirror
Heated Seats
Leather Seats
Leather Wrapped Steering Wheel
6 Disc CD changer (with Infinity speakers)
XM radio
BlueTooth
Courtesy Lights
HID Headlights
Heated Mirrors
Curtain Airbags
Security System
Power Sunroof
etc.

Plus the basic bumper to bumper Ford Warranty is 3yrs/60,000 vs. 5yrs/100,000 for the Genesis.

So yea, the Mustang IS cheaper, but it's cheaper because it is much less equipped.  Certainly some of the extra options may be of no concern to some people.  By the same token the V6 Mustang is a bargain, I also think the Genesis V6 is a relative bargain for how well equipped it is.
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +707/-12389
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Hyundai Genesis 3.8 AWD, 2016 Honda Fit EX-L Navi, 2019 Genesis G80 3.3t Sport, 2021 Honda CB650R, 2023 Honda Monkey
« Reply #43 on: July 01, 2010, 11:51:53 am »
So yea, the Mustang IS cheaper, but it's cheaper because it is much less equipped.  Certainly some of the extra options may be of no concern to some people.  By the same token the V6 Mustang is a bargain, I also think the Genesis V6 is a relative bargain for how well equipped it is.

Exactly correct.  They are both solid vehicles that offer strong value, performance and style - though they are not identical and buyers may legitimately prefer one over the other.  But this just points out my inability to swallow such over the top puffery as "There's nothing on the market that can TOUCH the MUSTANG!"  Unless one is so narrow-minded as to consider the Mustang a market segment unto itself, that's simply indefensible.  And when mags run comparisons - testing it back-to-back with segment competitors (unlike bad-ass-nothing-can-touch-it dude) - and rank it second or third, well, that suggests that his view may not be the prevailing view.

Jaeger
Wokeism is nothing more than the recognition and opposition of bigotry in all its forms.  Bigots are predictably triggered.

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Hyundai Genesis 3.8 AWD, 2016 Honda Fit EX-L Navi, 2019 Genesis G80 3.3t Sport, 2021 Honda CB650R, 2023 Honda Monkey
« Reply #44 on: July 01, 2010, 12:03:25 pm »
Power and amenities, I've no doubt Genesis V6 is at the same level or better than the Stang. But if you factor in the looks and the bad-ass attitude (as I specifically mentioned in my post), the Genesis looks are good but too generic (very subjective, but one could even argue that it looks 'cute'), and definitely not bad-ass.

Fair enough.  The Genesis may have more appeal to a buyer not so desperately insecure in his masculinity as to purchase a car to make him feel "bad-ass".

And here's an interesting comment on the interior of the Mustang ass compared with the Genesis Coupe from the MT review:

"Of course, with that budget bottom line comes a budget-conscious interior fitted with cloth seats, swarms of hard- and soft-touch black plastic, and no navigation or Bluetooth. Want a richer ambiance and equipment on par with that in our Genesis tester? You'll need to throw down $3700 for the Premium Package (leather, Bluetooth, satellite radio), $2340 for the Electronics Package (navigation and auto climate control), $595 for heated seats, and $525 for Xenon headlamps. Total? $32,545, or $1075 more than the Hyundai's sticker."

Jaeger
« Last Edit: July 01, 2010, 12:14:56 pm by Jaeger »

Offline whaddaiknow

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +185/-4812
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: July 01, 2010, 02:26:28 pm »

Fair enough.  The Genesis may have more appeal to a buyer not so desperately insecure in his masculinity as to purchase a car to make him feel "bad-ass".

And here's an interesting comment on the interior of the Mustang ass compared with the Genesis Coupe from the MT review:

"Of course, with that budget bottom line comes a budget-conscious interior fitted with cloth seats, swarms of hard- and soft-touch black plastic, and no navigation or Bluetooth. Want a richer ambiance and equipment on par with that in our Genesis tester? You'll need to throw down $3700 for the Premium Package (leather, Bluetooth, satellite radio), $2340 for the Electronics Package (navigation and auto climate control), $595 for heated seats, and $525 for Xenon headlamps. Total? $32,545, or $1075 more than the Hyundai's sticker."

Jaeger

Well, all valid points, and I like Hyundai cars (I own one for crying out loud).
But I don't need TESTERs to tell me how I should FEEL about the car. Like I said, I have sat in both, and the Genesis as much as I like it (and I really do) didn't appeal to ME as much as the Mustang did.
Can you really argue that the Genesis is no bad-ass? It's a very nice competent vehicle but it's no bad-ass. so I go back to my original comment that, when it comes to BAD-ASS ATTITUE, LOOKS, performance, etc. NOTHING CAN TOUCH THE MASTANG V6 at its price point. PERIOD.
If someone believes that they can take a few words out of the context and try to elevate their ego by putting down somebody else's comment, it's purely their own insecurity (or masculinity) issue.

Offline greengs

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +26/-57
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 BRZ
« Reply #46 on: July 01, 2010, 02:32:26 pm »
At least Ford gives you the option of buying a base car with 300+hp for $23K + fees if you want.  It's a really good deal for someone looking for powerful coupe at a low price.

Hyundai has taken note of this by offering a $4500 incentive on their base Gen coupe just around the same time the new Mustang went on sale.  Highly doubt it's a coincidence.

Offline whaddaiknow

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: July 01, 2010, 02:41:12 pm »
Let's look back a few decades ago. Those Stangs of yore still keep their appeal even today, and are desirable even today, and many would love to have one parked in their driveway even today. And guess what, they didn't have heated mirrors, homelink, or a 24-speaker Bose stereo.

This 2011 Stang has all it takes to continue with that appeal, there's quite a good chance that in 50 years, it will become a collectable item.

Now, I DO LIKE the GENESIS.

The question is - WHY does one buy a muscle car? (personal masculinity issues aside, and before launching a personal attack, look in the mirror first). Would one trade the visual masculinity and bad-ass attitude for a homelink or heated seats? Do I need heated seats or heated mirrors in a car that is mostly a summer toy?
No doubt, for a daily year round DRIVER, the Genesis is probably a better deal with all the bells, wistles, and longer warranty. But that's NOT THE POINT! Pedigree and image play a major role here, and the Genesis isn't quite there yet. But I hope it will as the company has proven itself worthy. But most likely not in my lifetime.

Offline whaddaiknow

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: July 01, 2010, 02:43:38 pm »
At least Ford gives you the option of buying a base car with 300+hp for $23K + fees if you want.  It's a really good deal for someone looking for powerful coupe at a low price.

Hyundai has taken note of this by offering a $4500 incentive on their base Gen coupe just around the same time the new Mustang went on sale.  Highly doubt it's a coincidence.

Exactly, who else offers 300+ HP for $23k? End of discussion.

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: July 01, 2010, 03:08:31 pm »

Jaeger

Well, all valid points, and I like Hyundai cars (I own one for crying out loud).
But I don't need TESTERs to tell me how I should FEEL about the car. Like I said, I have sat in both, and the Genesis as much as I like it (and I really do) didn't appeal to ME as much as the Mustang did.
Can you really argue that the Genesis is no  bad-ass? It's a very nice competent vehicle but it's no bad-ass. so I go back to my original comment that, when it comes to BAD-ASS ATTITUE, LOOKS, performance, etc. NOTHING CAN TOUCH THE MASTANG V6 at its price point. PERIOD.
If someone believes that they can take a few words out of the context and try to elevate their ego by putting down somebody else's comment, it's purely their own insecurity (or masculinity) issue.

Look, I get it.  As far as YOU are concerned, the Mustang is a class of one.  Good for you. It will make the purchase decision an easy and happy one for you.  You can revel in its cheap badassness and bask in the warm certainty that, in your own mind, there simply is not another car that can touch it.  Be happy.  Just don't expect everyone else to see it that way.

But declaring a car to be vastly superior to the point that there is no close second, solely on the basis of the way it makes you FEEL, is kinda thin, y'know?  By that rationale, everyone's favourite car is the BESTEST EVER, because of the way it makes them feel wonderful, or badass, or whatever ego-itch it happens to scratch.

Rock on with your bad-ass self, you bad, bad, bad ass.  The Mustang is most definitely your ride.  But do try to comprehend that, for some, the purchase criteria are a little more comprehensive than most horsepower for least dollar, 'kay?  And that for actual grown-ups, bad-ass isn't necessarily the governing element in a performance car purchase.

Jaeger
« Last Edit: July 01, 2010, 04:33:22 pm by Jaeger »

Offline Julie

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +359/-366
    • View Profile
  • Cars: nb miata, nc mx-5, e92 m3, mk6 gti
« Reply #50 on: July 01, 2010, 03:26:18 pm »

Jaeger

I thought the price difference with the base Genesis seemed strange - this explains it.

John

« Reply #51 on: July 01, 2010, 04:12:10 pm »
-1 there shouldn't even be a V6 Mustang. If you want a sports car - buy a sports car. If you want a cute little toy - buy an MX5 :)

That's ridiculous.  That's like saying there shouldn't be an Impreza, buy a WRX.  Or there shouldn't be a 3 series just get a M3.  What about cost?  Half the reason people buy a car is based on it's looks.  And what man would want to be seen driving a MX-5.?  He'd have to tell everyone it's his wife's car.

The MX-5 is no less manly than a 4 cylinder Malibu right?  Do you tell everyone the malibu is your wife's car too?

Offline whaddaiknow

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: July 01, 2010, 08:28:20 pm »

Jaeger

Can you really argue that the Genesis is no  bad-ass? It's a very nice competent vehicle but it's no bad-ass. so I go back to my original comment that, when it comes to BAD-ASS ATTITUE, LOOKS, performance, etc. NOTHING CAN TOUCH THE MASTANG V6 at its price point. PERIOD.

Look, I get it.  As far as YOU are concerned, the Mustang is a class of one.  Good for you. It will make the purchase decision an easy and happy one for you.  You can revel in its cheap badassness and bask in the warm certainty that, in your own mind, there simply is not another car that can touch it.  Be happy.  Just don't expect everyone else to see it that way.

But declaring a car to be vastly superior to the point that there is no close second, solely on the basis of the way it makes you FEEL, is kinda thin, y'know?  By that rationale, everyone's favourite car is the BESTEST EVER, because of the way it makes them feel wonderful, or badass, or whatever ego-itch it happens to scratch.

Rock on with your bad-ass self, you bad, bad, bad ass.  The Mustang is most definitely your ride.  But do try to comprehend that, for some, the purchase criteria are a little more comprehensive than most horsepower for least dollar, 'kay?  And that for actual grown-ups, bad-ass isn't necessarily the governing element in a performance car purchase.

Jaeger

Gee Jaeger, chill. I don't give a flying flack about your opinion about my masculinity. Get a life. Get out more, plant a tree or something and get a sense of accomplishement. Don't substitute your lack of argument with personal attacks.

Happy Canada Day!

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: July 01, 2010, 09:12:10 pm »
Gee Jaeger, chill. I don't give a flying flack about your opinion about my masculinity. Get a life. Get out more, plant a tree or something and get a sense of accomplishement. Don't substitute your lack of argument with personal attacks.

Happy Canada Day!

Plant a tree?  That's not very badass, is it??  Just keep sitting in your room, telling yourself how wonderfully badass the Mustang really is.  Pretty soon, your Mommy will tell you you're not grounded anymore, then you can go sit in one again and marvel at the wonderful badass interior.

Other than the Mustang making you FEEL badass, you haven't advanced anything resembling an "argument" to support your declaration that "nothing can touch it".  That's because you don't have one.  Or a clue.  Or a remotely mature merit-based source of self esteem.  Just kinda badass without a cause, really.

Returning to the vehicle itself - it's a very solid effort that should sell very well for Ford.  It would certainly appeal to a broad range of performance car buyers - beyond immature badass wannabees, or even traditional pony-car buyers.  The strong style / performance combination presented by the V6 model, together with Ford's improved performance in reliability  give it a good shot at reeling in some import-intenders, which would be very good for Ford, indeed.

I think I'd have to have the V8, personally.  Because while the V6 is good, the 8 is outrageous.

Jaeger

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7210
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: July 01, 2010, 09:16:56 pm »
I think I'd have to have the V8, personally.  Because while the V6 is good, the 8 is outrageous.
Jaeger

Agree.

Offline Julie

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +359/-366
    • View Profile
  • Cars: nb miata, nc mx-5, e92 m3, mk6 gti
« Reply #55 on: July 01, 2010, 10:30:37 pm »
Jaeger

Agree.

Agree x 2

Offline whaddaiknow

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: July 01, 2010, 11:54:29 pm »
Back to the point.
Interesting reading.
http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/review-2011-ford-mustang-v6/

"...The Genesis has proven to be rather popular with young people who don’t much care for the eight-cylinder engine and its attendant social baggage. It’s the ponycar for the twenty-first century, as important to some people as the original Mustang was in 1964. Except, of course, for the fact that this new Mustang is superior in virtually every respect, from interior quality to high-speed handling..."

"...No car at this price level ($22,995, since you asked) will have brakes that are truly good enough. If you want twenty fade-free laps of VIR, I’d suggest purchasing a Boxster 2.7. Just be careful when you see the Mustang behind you on the long back straight., because you won’t have the pull to hold it off..."

"...Through the infamous canyon roads surrounding Los Angeles, I regularly stretched out my perception and ran this Civic-priced Mustang at a pace traditionally reserved for the likes of BMW’s 335i. It’s plenty fast, and the light nose makes it a subtle handler..."

"...This car is not everyone’s cup of tea, and it’s ridiculous to think that the emotional needs of Accord Coupe buyers can be met by a snorting pony. Still, for those willing to look beyond the stereotypes, the Mustang is rapid, economical, and amusing to drive. It’s worth a look for almost any $25,000 import intender out there...."

And that's all I am saying. I am not ashamed to say that I will probably never be able to afford a 335i, and kudos to Ford for making the 300+HP thrill available to the masses at the price of a Civic.

And there's more

http://thatsbadass.com/2010/06/13/2011-ford-mustang-a-driver%E2%80%99s-perspective/

From this point on, I am only interested in what James has to say from his own experience behind the wheel.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2010, 12:13:16 am by whaddaiknow »

Offline whaddaiknow

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: July 02, 2010, 12:25:24 am »
Who else offers 300+HP for $24k? The cheapest alternative is the Genesis 3.8 at $32,995.
Which brings me back to the original message. NOTHING can touch the Mustang at this price point.

effa114

« Reply #58 on: July 02, 2010, 07:04:01 am »
Man... this car...

Exactly like this... 5.0, Brembos... in Kona Blue is one of my all time top "attainable" dream cars. Only could be better if they offered Highland Green!

This holds a definite place in my once again "attainable" (note the quotes) garage... A WRX265 Hatch (2011 model, of course) for winter, ski-trips and costco and a 2011 Mustang for everything else...  :P

Ben

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: July 02, 2010, 08:18:08 am »
I don't think there is anything on the market today that can touch it pound for pound (the V-6 that is). Nothing else from NA, Japan, Korea at the V-6 Mustang price point with the same bad-ass attitude, looks, power and amenities.
Finally something that comes from a NA manufactirer that we all can agree on. 2011 Mustang rocks!

Exactly, who else offers 300+ HP for $23k? End of discussion.

Who else offers 300+HP for $24k? The cheapest alternative is the Genesis 3.8 at $32,995.
Which brings me back to the original message. NOTHING can touch the Mustang at this price point.

You sure don't get tired of repeating yourself, do you?

And I wouldn't have believed there was actually a web site called "thatsbadassdotcom", but I would have believed that if it did exist, you'd be hanging on their every word.  :rofl: 

So rest assured that the badassdotcom crew and all genuine badasses and badass intenders agree that the Mustang is the baddest ass of all.  Actual automotive journalists might not declare the V6 model to be the unequivocal El Supremo of its class, much less a class-busting titan with no remotely close peer, but hey, all they know is cars.  You know badass, and badass is what matters, right?

Mustang rules.

Jaeger