Author Topic: First Drive: 2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee  (Read 16109 times)

Offline Mozeby

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +10/-3
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 Chevy Cruze, 2013 Dodge Journey, 1968 Dodge Charger R/T
Re: First Drive: 2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee
« Reply #20 on: July 06, 2010, 12:00:53 pm »
Without having the benefit of driving the 2011 yet, I can see in the photos the same quirks of the current gen GC.  I currently drive a V8 Laredo 4WD GC, there 3 ever present bothersome quirks.
1-Obstructed side window view, smallish doors center posts get in the way, you'll find yourself leaning forward to look before turning left or right.
2-Low roofline, same thing, must lean forward if you are stopped at the light.
3-Huge transmission hump and center console stack, tight fit. 
Of course other than the average 12 MPG, the GC is built like a tank, doors, chassis, and drive train are built to take the abuse.

With that said, I don't see buying the new 2011 GC, there are other SUVs with better ergonomics out there, too bad, because they are built to take serious off-road abuse.

Most of those quirks are going to be found in other SUVs too.  That hump is going to be in any SUV that's RWD based.  The roofline is going to be pretty much the same in most SUVs because they all seem to have the same general shape.  And I don't know of any SUV that's a V8 4WD that gets good mileage.  Even most 4.0+ V6 Suvs get crappy mileage.

John

« Reply #21 on: July 07, 2010, 12:08:04 pm »
Disagree;
09 Toyota 4runner, FWD V8, combined MPG 15.
Subaru Tribeca, FWD V8, combined MPG 15.
VW Toureg, All motion V8, combined MPG 17.
KIA Borrego, V8 FWD combined MPG 17.

The above have unobstructed side and front visibility and more accomodating space for the driver.  The V6 models get better combined MPG returns. 
The 2010 Tahoe and Sequoia, both V8s and FWD, get better than 12 combined MPG, and those are full size vehicles.

Offline sailor723

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +416/-1000
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '17 BMW X5 Xdrive35i, '11 BMW 328iXdrive,
« Reply #22 on: July 07, 2010, 02:34:48 pm »
Disagree;

The above have unobstructed side and front visibility and more accomodating space for the driver.  The V6 models get better combined MPG returns. 
The 2010 Tahoe and Sequoia, both V8s and FWD, get better than 12 combined MPG, and those are full size vehicles.

The Tribeca is a flat 6
Old Jag convertible...one itch I won't have to scratch again.

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +117/-442
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Land Rover LR4, Honda Ridgeline, Husqvarna FE501
« Reply #23 on: July 07, 2010, 03:19:02 pm »
I'm getting better than 15mpg combined on my V8 LR3. 21 mpg on the hwy and 12ish in pure city.

Offline Sir Osis of Liver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1376/-1726
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 KTM DUKE 390, 2019 VW Jetta GLI 35th Anniversary
« Reply #24 on: July 07, 2010, 04:50:27 pm »
The GC seems to be class competitive in the mileage race.

Figures are for V6 and 4wd versions and in L/100km.
On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.

H. L. Mencken

Offline Mozeby

• Enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 08, 2010, 11:41:27 am »
Disagree;

I still don't understand how you're "averaging" 12 mpg.  My old Dakota R/T which has a 5.9L and a 3.91 rear gear was better than that.  Not by much,but better.

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
« Reply #26 on: July 08, 2010, 11:45:09 am »
What are the value in Canadian units  ??? :P

Offline sailor723

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +416/-1000
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '17 BMW X5 Xdrive35i, '11 BMW 328iXdrive,
« Reply #27 on: July 08, 2010, 12:24:09 pm »
I don't have a problem with people using MPG when they talk mileage but I do wish they'd specify "US" or "Imperial" measure.

Offline Mozeby

• Enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 09, 2010, 10:29:18 pm »
I don't have a problem with people using MPG when they talk mileage but I do wish they'd specify "US" or "Imperial" measure.

I don't know why anyone uses MPG in Imperial measure.  Most Canadians are more familiar with the US gallon and MPG numbers, not the super inflated Imperial measure that makes every car and truck sound like it has diesel mileage.  The car companies in Canada just found a way to market their cars in a more persuasive way by using Imperial MPG.  Before gas was expensive the only ratings I ever saw in Canada was L/100.

• Car Crazy
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 09, 2010, 11:54:32 pm »

I don't know why anyone uses MPG in Imperial measure.  Most Canadians are more familiar with the US gallon and MPG numbers, not the super inflated Imperial measure that makes every car and truck sound like it has diesel mileage.  The car companies in Canada just found a way to market their cars in a more persuasive way by using Imperial MPG.  Before gas was expensive the only ratings I ever saw in Canada was L/100.

That has not been my experience. The people I know are familiar with imperial gallons or liters, they have to do arithmetic to convert the US figures.

Offline Seafoam

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +89/-202
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: July 10, 2010, 07:35:16 pm »

That has not been my experience. The people I know are familiar with imperial gallons or liters, they have to do arithmetic to convert the US figures.

I agree the imperial measure is fine or liters per 100 km. It is my experience that most people just put gas in their cars and have no clue what kind of mileage they are getting. It may take another gas crisis for people to clue in. :o
2023 Honda Civic EX-B
2004 Mazdaspeed Miata

Offline Mozeby

• Enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 11, 2010, 09:27:33 pm »

I disagree.  We've been reading US magazines, and watching US TV for years with their advertising of MPG.  Since when have we as Canadians ever gone to the grocery store to buy a "gallon" of milk or water.  We've always used litres when it comes to liquids.  We buy our gas in litres, the Americans in gallons.  Don't tell me that car companies in Canada aren't using MPG in the imperial form in order to trick us.  We don't use miles as a measurement, so why would they use Gallons, even if it is Imperial.  They don't advertise it as KPG. What's next, using quarts but in Imperial?     

• Car Crazy
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 12, 2010, 12:04:08 am »

I disagree.  We've been reading US magazines, and watching US TV for years with their advertising of MPG.  Since when have we as Canadians ever gone to the grocery store to buy a "gallon" of milk or water.  We've always used litres when it comes to liquids.  We buy our gas in litres, the Americans in gallons.  Don't tell me that car companies in Canada aren't using MPG in the imperial form in order to trick us.  We don't use miles as a measurement, so why would they use Gallons, even if it is Imperial.  They don't advertise it as KPG. What's next, using quarts but in Imperial?     

For the people I know who used gallons it was Imperial gallons. Car companies use Imperial gallons in advertising because that's what Canadian used pre- metrification.

Offline The Mighty Duck

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +34/-44
  • f*** that duck
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 MINI Cooper S | Past: 1999 Honda Civic, 2009 Honda Fit
« Reply #33 on: July 12, 2010, 12:24:37 am »

??? You do know Canada's only been on the metric system since the 1970s...?

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +471/-416
    • View Profile
  • Cars: since the beginning of Saf timeLOTUS ELAN,STANDARD... 10, MG midget, MGB (2),Mazda Millennia,Hyundai Veloster and 1997 Ford Ranger 2014 Subaru Forester XT
« Reply #34 on: July 12, 2010, 12:22:01 pm »
 ::) WOW.....I'm still driving on tha LEFT............................... :P
Time is to stop everything happening at once

Offline Mozeby

• Enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 12, 2010, 10:30:03 pm »

Yes I DO know.  SO why then are they advertising MILES per Gallon?  It makes no sense.  It's as if they're using the american numbers, but using the larger Gallon so that the mileage is higher.
There's a Canadian Ford commercial for the F-150 that says it gets 29 MPG.  Really?  In the U.S the same truck gets 20 MPG.  Why the hell are we even talking about miles in Canada.  It's stupid and misleading advertising.

Offline PJungnitsch

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +170/-337
    • View Profile
    • Travel in Africa
  • Cars: Subaru Crosstrek, Lexus RX350, Evolve Carbon, Biktrix Juggernaut, Yamaha TW200
« Reply #36 on: July 12, 2010, 11:04:20 pm »
Our current system (at least in common use) has evolved into a mix of imperial and metric. IE celsius has dominated temperature, but people still list their height in feet and inches, weight in lbs.

MPG is the most commonly used measure still to most people, so that's what the car makers use.

Personally I am starting to get the hang of L/100 km and like it, but it wasn't intuitive.

• Car Crazy
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 12, 2010, 11:57:57 pm »

Yes I DO know.  SO why then are they advertising MILES per Gallon?  It makes no sense.  It's as if they're using the american numbers, but using the larger Gallon so that the mileage is higher.
There's a Canadian Ford commercial for the F-150 that says it gets 29 MPG.  Really?  In the U.S the same truck gets 20 MPG.  Why the hell are we even talking about miles in Canada.  It's stupid and misleading advertising.

For example, my Dad and uncles grew up with mileage figures calculated in Imperial miles per gallon. They still relate to those figures. He spends almost half the year in Florida. When he calculates his mileage, he converts US gallons to Imperial to get the "real" mileage.

It's only been recently that I've gotten used to L/100km myself. Before that I always used Imperial mileage. Stupid or not, Canadians traditionally have used a different gallon than the US.

Leviathan

« Reply #38 on: July 13, 2010, 12:08:56 am »
It's only been recently that I've gotten used to L/100km myself.
And now electric cars are coming - kWh/100km?

Offline Calbrez

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +2/-10
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 15, 2010, 10:26:36 pm »
I have good taste - better than most. This is a very attractive vehicle...very.

I am going to wait 3 years and if this thing proves to be reliable it will be on my drive way by 2013.

I'll let you know how it works out.