Author Topic: First Drive: 2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee  (Read 16112 times)

Offline Autos_Editor

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +91/-560
    • View Profile
First Drive: 2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee
« on: June 28, 2010, 04:05:59 am »

Jeep's flagship Grand Cherokee is all-new for 2011, and it's come a long way from its predecessor, says Assistant Editor Jil McIntosh. A new V6, air suspension, terrain selector and upgraded interior make the difference: "They've nailed it," she says.

Read More...

Offline sailor723

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +416/-1000
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '17 BMW X5 Xdrive35i, '11 BMW 328iXdrive,
Re: First Drive: 2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2010, 06:13:13 am »
Looks good and it sounds like it has lots of available goodies. However,the reviewer didn't address the 64,000 dollar question. Is it going to carry on the GC tradition of abysmal,bottom of the pack reliability?
Old Jag convertible...one itch I won't have to scratch again.

John MacDonald

« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2010, 07:10:30 am »
Like most of Chryslers products, it looks good but will it be after 20,000 kms.  I would say no considering it prior track record.  It will take them years to prove that their products are reliable.  But there will always be people out there who want a "Jeep" and those who only want a vehicle that looks good.  I'm guessing that this is an improvement over the previous generation on a lot of things but if it's not reliable what's the point.

Offline Thinking Out Loud

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +19/-16
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '16 Suzuki M50 Boulevard + '19 Frontier Pro4X + 2015 Mustang EcoBoost 'vert + '09 Altima SL Coupe
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2010, 07:38:10 am »
Given this is based on Mercedes Benz underlying technology, and that the 300/Charger/Magnum/Challenger are all also built off of a (different) Mercedes platform (which seems to have done relatively well in terms of reliability), I'll give the new GC the benefit of the doubt.  They addressed most of the cheapskate interior pieces.  Seems priced reasonably.

I'd certainly consider this Chryslers' 'Malibu-esque' of go-forward vehicles as a new standard. 

Fortune favours the bold!

aknutson

« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2010, 08:34:08 am »
Given this is based on Mercedes Benz underlying technology, and that the 300/Charger/Magnum/Challenger are all also built off of a (different) Mercedes platform (which seems to have done relatively well in terms of reliability), I'll give the new GC the benefit of the doubt.  They addressed most of the cheapskate interior pieces.  Seems priced reasonably.

I'd certainly consider this Chryslers' 'Malibu-esque' of go-forward vehicles as a new standard. 

Gonna play Devil's advocate here, cause I remember reading recently on this very site a used car review of the Chrysler 300, and sure enough pulled up a quote today...

"Overall, the 300/300C gets a worse-than-average used car reliability rating from Consumer Reports for V8 models, and average for V6-powered cars."
http://www.canadiandriver.com/2010/02/25/used-vehicle-review-chrysler-300-2005-2009.htm

While I would agree that the underlying components deliver a good drive, it has yet to be proven reliable, and apparently this is even more pronounced in the Hemi V8 versions - the top-of-the-line models, for which people will be handing over plenty of coin. Chrysler looks like they  have figured out how to make a great interior, from appearances it looks top-notch, it's just a question of whether or not a) it will hold up over time, and 2) if they can shake the massive depreciation that has haunted GC's thus far.

I'm hoping for the best with Chrysler, but they need more than 1 or 2 home-runs to run a company...they need an entire lineup that is successful.

Offline wing

• Big Wig
  • Administrator
  • Carma: +279/-320
  • If you ain't first ... you're last!
    • View Profile
    • Drivesideways
  • Cars: 2009 Lexus ISF, 2009 Lexus LX570,2011 Audi A5 Touring Car
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2010, 08:47:36 am »
I've heard through the grapevine this engine feels anemic in this vehicle but I'll wait to judge after driving it... if Chrysler can afford the press fleet... :P

aknutson

« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2010, 09:38:14 am »
I've heard through the grapevine this engine feels anemic in this vehicle but I'll wait to judge after driving it... if Chrysler can afford the press fleet... :P

That's what would have been great about incorporating a diesel - lots of torque to get these Fat Sally's moving with lots of low-RPM grunt...unfortunately North Americans tend to be averse to diesels, so gas it is.

CatsEye68

« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2010, 09:52:58 am »
Jil nailed it with this article by noting that the complaints about the 5-speed auto trans were mostly the stuff of auto writers look for something to complain about and not relevant to reality, and also with her noting the disappointing, generic styling of the rear end, abandoning the usual Jeep look. Other than that it seems like a nice, though pricey, vehicle.

Re. the commentary here about past spotty reliability: if commentary about past rusty Toyo Tacomas is out of bounds in that article as suggested in the forums, I fail to see why Jil should be required to mention Jeep quality issues here.

SJP

« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2010, 10:51:23 am »
With no diesel option, I fail to see what makes this stand out, another GC, ho hum. 20+ years of poor reliability and resale are indeed important to me, and some Mercedes tech underneath means nothing in terms of reliability. A good friend has a 6 year old GC, and a Chrysler 300. both are falling apart. He doesn't want them, but the only problem is, neither does anyone else, so he's stuck with them. Give them the benefit of the doubt? Maybe with someone else's money, let's see.

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +117/-442
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Land Rover LR4, Honda Ridgeline, Husqvarna FE501
« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2010, 11:15:58 am »
Wait 2 years. Powderpuff used ones will be half price.

Offline sailor723

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +416/-1000
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '17 BMW X5 Xdrive35i, '11 BMW 328iXdrive,
« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2010, 11:19:23 am »
Wait 2 years. Powderpuff used ones will be half price.

+1 :thumbup:

Or dealers will be clearing out leftover 2011's a year from this Dec for 8 or 10K off list.

Offline bridgecity

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +126/-182
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 MDX; 2007 Tundra
« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2010, 11:26:42 am »
Re. the commentary here about past spotty reliability: if commentary about past rusty Toyo Tacomas is out of bounds in that article as suggested in the forums, I fail to see why Jil should be required to mention Jeep quality issues here.

Big difference Greg.  You mentioned rusty frames for a model that has been out for 5+ years with a good reliability history and no problems thus far with rusty frames.  The Jeep GC is brand new.

That being said, I like this new version of the GC, the styling inside and out.  Cargo capacity in on the low end for a large mid-size, but it looks very useable.  Lets hope it pans out for Chrysler.
Quality is never an accident; it is always the result of high intention, sincere effort, intelligent direction, and skillful execution; it represents the wise choice of many alternatives.

MCA

« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2010, 12:19:56 pm »
Nice Article - one question Jill - Does it still have a transmission between your foot and the gas pedal? This was the case in the Liberty and GC, and drove me crazy!

If it turns out to be reliable, it'd be a great rig. I do think the marketing is horrid, touting it as a purebred American machine, that works, hahaha. Don't they know about the internet? We all know the German platform it's based off of, and it seems bad to imply (the obvious) that your prior machines were sub par.

Fingers crossed for a hit with this one though!

Offline ovr50

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +27/-126
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 28, 2010, 12:50:23 pm »
2022 Mazda CX-5 Signature Turbo in Snowflake White Pearl
and
2012 Toyota Camry SE V6 in Alpine White

Dan

« Reply #14 on: June 28, 2010, 07:13:40 pm »
I was never a fan of the GC let alone of any Jeep products but I must admit this GC looks pretty nice. I like the masculine look both in and out but yet has a little luxurious look on the inside. The price is yet again too high in my opinion and the reliability question is yet to be answered.

Offline Sir Osis of Liver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1376/-1726
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 KTM DUKE 390, 2019 VW Jetta GLI 35th Anniversary
« Reply #15 on: June 28, 2010, 07:22:10 pm »
The last few years has seen the reliability greatly improved on the current generation. Consumer Reports has the 2008 V6 as "better than average", and the V8 as "average". Huge improvement over the "much worse than average" it had previously.

Other than that, not a vehicle I'm terribly interested in.

On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.

H. L. Mencken

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7210
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 28, 2010, 07:40:58 pm »
The last few years has seen the reliability greatly improved on the current generation. Consumer Reports has the 2008 V6 as "better than average", and the V8 as "average". Huge improvement over the "much worse than average" it had previously.

Other than that, not a vehicle I'm terribly interested in.

Yea, but when a vehicle is that bad, not really hard to get it better IMO.  That being said...despite tons of problems, my friends who own GC love them to death.  FWIW, the older V8 318 seems to be dead reliable.
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline Mozeby

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +10/-3
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 Chevy Cruze, 2013 Dodge Journey, 1968 Dodge Charger R/T
« Reply #17 on: June 28, 2010, 11:39:03 pm »
Looks good and it sounds like it has lots of available goodies. However,the reviewer didn't address the 64,000 dollar question. Is it going to carry on the GC tradition of abysmal,bottom of the pack reliability?

I think that the abysmal, bottom of the pack reliability king is the VW Touareg.

Offline CanuckS2K

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +398/-316
    • View Profile
    • Prestige Auto Detail
  • Cars: 1991 Toyota MR2 Turbo, 2005 Honda S2000, 2014 Infiniti Q50S, 2017 Ford F-150 Lariat
« Reply #18 on: June 29, 2010, 09:22:01 pm »
The new GC looks extremely nice, namely the exterior.  Unfortunately, looks are not everything and I wouldn't consider buying one. 
Owner - Prestige Auto Detailing & Hammond River Brewing

John

« Reply #19 on: July 05, 2010, 12:05:06 am »
Without having the benefit of driving the 2011 yet, I can see in the photos the same quirks of the current gen GC.  I currently drive a V8 Laredo 4WD GC, there 3 ever present bothersome quirks.
1-Obstructed side window view, smallish doors center posts get in the way, you'll find yourself leaning forward to look before turning left or right.
2-Low roofline, same thing, must lean forward if you are stopped at the light.
3-Huge transmission hump and center console stack, tight fit. 
Of course other than the average 12 MPG, the GC is built like a tank, doors, chassis, and drive train are built to take the abuse.

With that said, I don't see buying the new 2011 GC, there are other SUVs with better ergonomics out there, too bad, because they are built to take serious off-road abuse.