Author Topic: FIVE-O V8...Hyundai  (Read 4841 times)

Offline EV Dan

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +480/-383
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '21 Venzaurus
Re: FIVE-O V8...Hyundai
« Reply #20 on: July 05, 2010, 03:39:24 pm »
First photos leaked...
IMO they made it look even better, which doesn't always happen with refreshes or succeeding models.
 :thumbup:

Give a man a fish, he eats for a day. Teach the man to fish and he wakes you up at 5 in the morning.

Offline dougjp

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +165/-170
  • Cars: 2019 VW Jetta GLI, 2014 Elantra GT
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 05, 2010, 06:49:17 pm »
Contrary to the "change" and "greenie" merchants, I think Hyundai has made the right decision here. They understand the market and what drives purchasing decisions in this segment, as proven by the success of other manufacturers in recent years. Engine and transmission technological improvements, and extra features/luxury,  more than satisfy the buyers in this segment. Direct injection providing more mileage, HP and torque all at the same time? Just fine and "more than enough" for these potential buyers, thank you very much.

This is obviously an entirely different segment than Hummer owners, both from the standpoint of buyers and opinions by others about those buyers. Except for a very minor radical segment of the population, I think most people won't think any different about drivers of luxury cars like this than they did 1,2 or 5 years ago. That "fringe group" was yelling into the wind then, and even 10 years ago just like now. Nothing has changed really, even the numbers of people "at the fringe".

However Hyundai still has the same image and market value problems to overcome. Its admirable how they attack these conceptions in the only way they can, by creating more and more, convinced they can force change in these perceptions. I for one don't think they can pull it off, only make partial improvements and still find themselves behind in the upper end of the market. IE; they won't be able to force their way into the "exclusive clubs" where they haven't been invited! 

Offline mmret

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +240/-570
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 05, 2010, 08:50:29 pm »
Looks nice but might some mustached gentlemen in Munich take offense to the restyled gearshift?

Maybe they will have to launch a new high-end brand (once they have 3-4 models to offer in it, at least) but where does that leave Kia (which, incidentally, is coming up with some great looking mainstream designs lately)?

I could see a high end brand with the Genesis, Equus, Veracruz and maybe Genesis coupe working. Might need some renaming / reskinning but mechanically its all good.
You can't just have your characters announce how they feel.
That makes me feel angry!

Present: 15.5 V60 T6 + Polestar, 17 MDX
Sometimes Borrow: 11 GLK350
Dark and Twisted Past: 13 TL AWD, 07 Z4 3.0si, 07 CLK550, 06 TSX, 07 Civic, 01 Grandma!

Offline Ice

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +15/-25
  • 2009 Corolla XRS
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 06, 2010, 12:01:44 am »
Looks nice but might some mustached gentlemen in Munich take offense to the restyled gearshift?

Maybe they will have to launch a new high-end brand (once they have 3-4 models to offer in it, at least) but where does that leave Kia (which, incidentally, is coming up with some great looking mainstream designs lately)?

I could see a high end brand with the Genesis, Equus, Veracruz and maybe Genesis coupe working. Might need some renaming / reskinning but mechanically its all good.
I'm having trouble with what high-end is supposed to be. I thought Hyundai was going to be aiming a bit higher with Kia staying mainstream. But the new Kia K5/Optima/whatever they will call it looks stunning. And both the K5 and the Sportage have several luxury type features. It seems like the gap is closing while the prices stay far apart... I suppose handling and NVH are still quite different.

Offline shurimonchik

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +0/-0
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '07 MINI Cooper S (sold), '09 Mazda 5 (sold), '17 VW Golf Alltrack 6MT (sold), '07 328i, '17 Audi Q7, '01 330ci
« Reply #24 on: July 06, 2010, 01:08:19 am »
this is so hot, i love it!

Offline Iso Octane

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +0/-3
  • to the beat of the different drum
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 06, 2010, 04:26:05 pm »
However Hyundai still has the same image and market value problems to overcome. Its admirable how they attack these conceptions in the only way they can, by creating more and more, convinced they can force change in these perceptions. I for one don't think they can pull it off, only make partial improvements and still find themselves behind in the upper end of the market.

I think more than anything it needs to improve the product.

Pushing the car as something premium requires more than bigger engines and more features.  As it stands right now the Genesis is a bit of a pretender. 

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +707/-12418
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Hyundai Genesis 3.8 AWD, 2016 Honda Fit EX-L Navi, 2019 Genesis G80 3.3t Sport, 2021 Honda CB650R, 2023 Honda Monkey
« Reply #26 on: July 07, 2010, 10:12:24 am »
However Hyundai still has the same image and market value problems to overcome. Its admirable how they attack these conceptions in the only way they can, by creating more and more, convinced they can force change in these perceptions. I for one don't think they can pull it off, only make partial improvements and still find themselves behind in the upper end of the market.

Pushing the car as something premium requires more than bigger engines and more features.  As it stands right now the Genesis is a bit of a pretender. 

No more of a pretender than the Lexus LS was when it was introduced.

Jaeger
Wokeism is nothing more than the recognition and opposition of bigotry in all its forms.  Bigots are predictably triggered.

Offline Dante

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +33/-97
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 VW GTI DSG, 2011 BMW 328i xDrive 6MT, 2007 Mitsubishi Outlander
« Reply #27 on: July 07, 2010, 11:08:31 am »

Jaeger

The (FUNDAMENTAL) difference is Lexus never sold budget cars under the same brand/roof.

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
« Reply #28 on: July 07, 2010, 11:16:51 am »

Jaeger

The (FUNDAMENTAL) difference is Lexus never sold budget cars under the same brand/roof.

But you can get a Lexus at any Toyota dealer, and most dealers can get you any make or model you want so what logo is on the roof really does not make a difference to a smart purchaser

Offline Dante

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 07, 2010, 11:36:27 am »

Jaeger

But you can get a Lexus at any Toyota dealer, and most dealers can get you any make or model you want so what logo is on the roof really does not make a difference to a smart purchaser

How is that? I don't think you can buy a new Lexus from a Toyota showroom or any other non-Lexus dealership, do you? I've never seen that, but please correct me if I'm wrong.

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: July 07, 2010, 11:41:12 am »
yes, you can buy a Lexus a Toyota deal
Dealers are like car brokers and they can just about get any make
If you talk with a knowledgeable sales person they will tell you that

Offline Dante

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 07, 2010, 11:59:48 am »

For the right amount of cash, I can sell you a Rolls Royce out of my driveway, but that's not my point.  :D

Offline EV Dan

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +480/-383
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '21 Venzaurus
« Reply #32 on: July 07, 2010, 12:13:16 pm »
What Hyundai needs to do IMO is besides having a red carpet corner for luxury offerings under their roof, like what they've done already, hire a few former Lexus or BMW reps to work with potential Genesis buyers, as well as offer priority service at their garage. I'm thinking a Genesis VIP card that guarantees no line-ups and a fresh cup of coffee served by the manager's assistant  ;D 

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 07, 2010, 12:29:08 pm »

For the right amount of cash, I can sell you a Rolls Royce out of my driveway, but that's not my point.  :D

::) where hell is Cord or AS when you need them  :rofl:

Offline Dante

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 07, 2010, 12:30:27 pm »

::) where hell is Cord or AS when you need them  :rofl:

I thought about that too... I'm sure AS will pop in once he's done selling for the day.

Offline Iso Octane

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +0/-3
  • to the beat of the different drum
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 07, 2010, 03:25:36 pm »

Jaeger
I'm not talking about perception.  I'm talking about quality of design. 

The Genesis Sedan looks/feels like a late 90's early-to-mid 2000's effort, IMO.  It just looks cheap to me.

The first gen Lexus LS was a lot closer to Mercedes.