Author Topic: FIVE-O V8...Hyundai  (Read 4847 times)

Offline EV Dan

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +480/-383
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '21 Venzaurus
FIVE-O V8...Hyundai
« on: June 23, 2010, 06:52:13 pm »
http://www.motorauthority.com/blog/1046423_2011-hyundai-equus-genesis-to-get-429-hp-5-0-liter-tau-v-8

2011 Hyundai Equus, Genesis To Get 429-HP 5.0-Liter Tau V-8

"Hyundai confirmed  its flagship Equus sedan for the U.S. last summer, just after the Pebble Beach Concours, and later pegged the starting price in the mid-$50,000 range. Now we have word straight from Hyundai via our executive editor Marty Padgett, on the scene in Korea, that the car, due for sale later this summer, will also get a 429-horsepower, 5.0-liter version of Hyundai's Tau V-8 engine--and so will the 2011 Genesis Sedan.

But the Equus won't get the bigger V-8 for launch. Instead, the first buyers of the car will have no option but the 4.6-liter Tau V-8, rated at 385 horsepower and 333 pound-feet of torque. The 5.0-liter mill, rated at 429-horsepower and 376 pound-feet of torque will become available next March. Both engines are slated to get an eight-speed automatic transmission. The big V-8 is more than stout enough to run with the BMW 750i's 400-horsepower 4.4-liter V-8, though it falls short of the potent V-12 engines found in the BMW 760i and Mercedes-Benz S600.

It's not yet clear that the Genesis Sedan will also inherit the eight-speed auto, though it's likely. It will definitely be available with the uprated 5.0-liter V-8, a move that's been contemplated since 2008. The bump in power will give the Genesis buyer an option that reaches up to and beyond the realm of BMW's new 4.4-liter twin-turbo, direct-injection V-8 in the 2011 550i. The existing 4.6-liter Hyundai engine already outpaces the 382-horsepower V-8 in the Mercedes-Benz E550.

The unexplained element in this 5.0-liter equation, however, is how Hyundai plans to differentiate the models--not just within the Equus and Genesis ranges, but between Equus and Genesis. As a flagship model, the Equus could be expected to offer an exclusive engine option, much as BMW's 760i and Mercedes-Benz's S600 do. On the other hand, Hyundai's unconventional approach to the luxury marketplace has proven successful so far, so we'll assume they have it figured out."

//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

It seems the V8 era is far from over. Ecoboost my $%^! Unlike autoblog I don't think this Tau would even fit into the Gen. Coupe, but it doesn't need it anyway. Looks like H have figured out a formula on how to beat its competition at every turn. Some may argue its all good only on paper, but in the end 0-60 times, fuel economy and the price are figures hard to dispute. On Gen. sedan H has shown they also can make luxury interiors. Kudos!
Give a man a fish, he eats for a day. Teach the man to fish and he wakes you up at 5 in the morning.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1255/-7215
    • View Profile
Re: FIVE-O V8...Hyundai
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2010, 06:56:30 pm »
If this makes it into the Genesis Coupe...I want one!!
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +707/-12418
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Hyundai Genesis 3.8 AWD, 2016 Honda Fit EX-L Navi, 2019 Genesis G80 3.3t Sport, 2021 Honda CB650R, 2023 Honda Monkey
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2010, 07:49:24 pm »
The current V8 Genesis Sedan is plenty strong - but 429hp makes m epositively drool.

Jaeger
Wokeism is nothing more than the recognition and opposition of bigotry in all its forms.  Bigots are predictably triggered.

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +758/-938
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2010, 11:27:36 pm »

Equus sedan

Does this guy get the first one...

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2010, 08:09:42 am »
I think it is mistake to though a big V8 into it
The should go the BMW route and make it a hybrid
Times are a changing and people that will buy this car are probably in the age that they are looking at ways of reducing their carbon foot print

Offline Railton

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +243/-156
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Infiniti QX60 Touring, 2010 Infiniti G37S 6M, 2020 Hyundai Kona 1.6T Trend
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2010, 08:18:02 am »
Times are a changing and people that will buy this car are probably in the age that they are looking at ways of reducing their carbon foot print
Huh? :think:
Railton
Do you realize that in about 30 (updated as requested) years, we'll have millions of old ladies running around with tattoos?

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2010, 09:13:03 am »
Huh? :think:
Railton
I believe in the near future any large displacement engine will have the same appearance of a Hummer and will not be social acceptable like smoking or DUI

For a flagship car , I think it more important to go green

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2010, 09:23:40 am »
found this on another forum, shows how some people are change

"After watching the oil spill in agony for weeks and weeks and being more and more disgusted, I just couldn't sit around and do nothing. I've always kind of sat on the sidelines looking at the Prius and the Insight and being one of those people who says "wow, this vehicle is ugly". The truth is, the new 2010 Prius is so much sexier, especially with Package V, then the previous generations. Granted, they still aren't pretty, but let's face it, until there are huge advancements in the engine technololgy, aerodynamics are a must, and that's why the Prius looks the way it does.

So, I may very well be one of the younger Prius buyers (34), and my friends are definitely scratching their heads and laughing at the same time, but I don't care. I had to do something to minimize my consumption of fossil fuels and pollution of the planet, and combined with less driving and other lifestyle changes, I think I'm on the right track with my new Prius.

The good news, coming from a former Lexus owner, is that with the Package V, I don't feel like I am taking a huge step down by driving a Prius. The Prius rides smoother and quieter then my Lexus did (granted I did have the IS350 which is a sporty performance tuned model of Lexus that does have a rougher ride and is a bit noisier due to the low profile tires)... And I feel like I have most of the creature comforts that my Lexus had. I think, in fact, so far, the only thing I really feel like I'm missing are two things. I do miss the auto tilt down electrochromatic driver and passenger mirrors. I also miss the Mark Levinson audio (sorry the JBL isn't as good, but it's NOT bad either). And on a hot day, I'll probably miss my vented seats. However, those are minor sacrifices to make to help do my part to save the planet. I'll also miss going 0-60 in 4-5 seconds. However, I figure if I ever NEED to go that fast I can just rent a sports car from Hertz to fulfill my urges, but on a daily basis, I can no longer justify consuming that much gas (and Premium at that!)... So, consider me a happy Prius owner

Offline EV Dan

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2010, 09:42:08 am »
"Fuel consumption V8    City: 12.6 L/100 km (22 mpg Imp)
     Hwy: 8.1 L/100 km (35 mpg Imp)"

So it's not exactly a guzzler. Some drive trucks for pleasure with almost double that. Socially irresponsible? Yes. Should be restricted? Yes, but not outlawed. If people decide to drive a V8, V12 or a diesel TTC bus we should let them, but treat the deed like we now do DUI and smoking, either fine or tax it.
Also, its not the number of cylinders, but rather carbon footprint that should be taxed. Buy something over the limit - pay back to society in taxes to clean up after you. Drive a lot - pay at the pump a portion to cover future oil spills, that is a real price of gas. By the way the same should be applied to power generation, where cost of nuclear waste storage, safety, CO2 and other things should be directly included in kWh. Only then, when people count the damages to their own pockets will we suddenly become greener. Only if it starts making sense to put solars on the roof, buy hydro from windmill generators and ride a bike to work will we have a change of heart. My suggestion here I guess is not to throw eggs at SUVs but rather think twice before casting your ballot.

Offline EV Dan

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2010, 09:53:23 am »
"After watching the oil spill in agony for weeks and weeks and being more and more disgusted, I just couldn't sit around and do nothing. I've always kind of sat on the sidelines looking at the Prius and the Insight and being one of those people who says "wow, this vehicle is ugly". The truth is, the new 2010 Prius is so much sexier, especially with Package V, then the previous generations. Granted, they still aren't pretty, but let's face it, until there are huge advancements in the engine technololgy, aerodynamics are a must, and that's why the Prius looks the way it does.

Right on. I read yesterday about BP controlled oil burning which happen to include endangered species of turtles caught in that mess. Where TF is peta and greenpeace when it comes to something this dirty?

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2010, 11:08:26 am »
If you want to sell things you have to product that the public is want/willing to buy

"I'm not quite sure driving a Hummer attracts the same stigma as driving drunk"
35 years it was OK to drive drunk, no one gave it a second thought.
Smoking & drink while pregnant, or in school , no big deal 
Times are a changing

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +117/-442
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Land Rover LR4, Honda Ridgeline, Husqvarna FE501
« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2010, 11:45:12 am »
I don't think Premium buyers are looking for hybrids. Maybe a few in Hollywood are. The projected fuel economy doesn't look that bad and in terms of overall cost, fuel is a small part on a Luxury car .

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2010, 11:49:06 am »
I don't think Premium buyers are looking for hybrids. Maybe a few in Hollywood are. The projected fuel economy doesn't look that bad and in terms of overall cost, fuel is a small part on a Luxury car .

I'm not sure about that.  I happened to talk to the car sales guy that I bought my MB's from, and he said that they are shocked by the demand for the S-Class hybrid.  MB diesel sales have been very strong and the new "mild" hybrid appears to be poised to be a strong seller in the flagship range.

Offline footlong58

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +12/-3
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2007 Toyota Yaris, 2014 Chevrolet Trax, 2008 Buell, 2005 Yamaha V Star
« Reply #13 on: June 24, 2010, 11:50:32 am »
If you want to sell things you have to product that the public is want/willing to buy

"I'm not quite sure driving a Hummer attracts the same stigma as driving drunk"
35 years it was OK to drive drunk, no one gave it a second thought.
Smoking & drink while pregnant, or in school , no big deal 
Times are a changing

Thats great.  Social issues change.

I don't know what any of them have to do with going from a 4.6L V8 to a 5.0L V8....

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 24, 2010, 11:53:23 am »

I'm not sure about that.  I happened to talk to the car sales guy that I bought my MB's from, and he said that they are shocked by the demand for the S-Class hybrid.  MB diesel sales have been very strong and the new "mild" hybrid appears to be poised to be a strong seller in the flagship range.

Wait for these things to come off warranty and the owner is left holding the bag on repairing a S class hybrid. That will change some attitudes. ;D

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 24, 2010, 12:23:13 pm »

Wait for these things to come off warranty and the owner is left holding the bag on repairing a S class hybrid. That will change some attitudes. ;D

It can't be any worse than pretty much every S-Class built (save perhaps the "low equipped" S320 of years ago) as they're all total POS cars on the reliability front.

Offline EV Dan

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 24, 2010, 01:43:01 pm »
Just for the sake of argument.... There must be a reason this Tau was listed among engines of the year, as some smaller cars with 4cyl can be thirstier with less power output.

Offline kard00d

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +3/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 24, 2010, 02:02:04 pm »
Hyundai 5-0.... don't hang-loose too much, 'r the eco-POLICE... will 8-6 you..  oh lord they won't give a jack :rofl2:

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 24, 2010, 04:01:25 pm »
This will make a used 4.6 Genesis even cheaper..

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +707/-12418
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Hyundai Genesis 3.8 AWD, 2016 Honda Fit EX-L Navi, 2019 Genesis G80 3.3t Sport, 2021 Honda CB650R, 2023 Honda Monkey
« Reply #19 on: June 24, 2010, 05:20:56 pm »

Yeah.... right..... sure..... (backs away slowly...... quietly......)