Author Topic: Test Drive: 2010 Toyota Tacoma Double Cab automatic  (Read 20887 times)

Offline Autos_Editor

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +91/-560
    • View Profile
Test Drive: 2010 Toyota Tacoma Double Cab automatic
« on: June 22, 2010, 04:05:18 am »

"My week with the Tacoma proved it's decent at hauling both people and stuff, but that it would be easy to exceed the Tacoma's limitations when compared to some of its competitors and larger trucks," says Contributing Editor, Chris Chase.

Read More...

John MacDonald

Re: Test Drive: 2010 Toyota Tacoma Double Cab automatic
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2010, 06:40:17 am »
Definitely the best compact truck on the market today (only half a dozen competitors so it's not hard to be the best).  Love the looks of these trucks and if I was going to purchase a truck this would probably be it.  Like most vehicles this one could be better if they brought over their diesel engine that they use over in Europe.  Now that would make for a great compact truck, too bad they won't ever do that.

Delta_T

« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2010, 08:01:44 am »
A friend of mine has one and loves it. Great little truck. Holds its value well too.
I agree, a (D4D) Diesel engine would be a nice offer.

On a side note, the Tacoma is based on the chassis of the current generation 4Runner (same as the FJ Cruiser and others). The pick-up truck sold outside North America is the Hi-Lux. It looks (a bit) like the Tacoma but is a different truck. It is basically an updated version of the previous generation Hi-Lux and is only offered with Diesel engines in Europe.
Funny thing is that -as far as I know- Toyota builds no Pick-up trucks in Japan.

Roy

« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2010, 10:29:26 am »
The reviewer really should have done his research to determine the approx weight of the soil.  Was it more than the Tacoma payload specs?  Was it more than the 1/2 ton truck payload specs?  Not having any experience with trucks and then summarily concluding that a 1/2 ton truck probably could have taken the same load is lazy and uninformed.

Scott

« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2010, 11:05:03 am »
For a compact truck I think the Toyota Tacoma is great.  The reliability, the fact the it has the double cab is important as well.  But it costs justs too much!  You could buy a Ford F-150, or Chevrolet (not Chevy) Silverado for the same price, if not cheaper with all the rebates going on.  And these are good full size trucks.  I would prefer a compact truck for my needs, I simply want to tow a small trailer, and a compact truck handles way better, and is slightly more fuel efficient.  A Ford Ranger with the 4 cycl engine is only $14,000 for the base model!  Yes the design is old, but it's functional, which is what most truck buyers want.  I would buy one, as it can tow 5000lbs, but no double cab!  I hope when it gets redesigned it offers that in the future.  But at this point I can't see the point in getting a Tacoma for the same price as full size domestic for the same price or less, and it having less capability.  And I agree with the previous post, maybe an auto journalist who does more truck reviews or currently has a truck, should have done this review. 

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +117/-442
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Land Rover LR4, Honda Ridgeline, Husqvarna FE501
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2010, 11:17:16 am »
The fake hood scoop, why?

Offline saint_satan

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +0/-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2010, 12:16:22 pm »
Great truck, but I have to go with Scott - it's lots of money.  When you consider the fact you can get a full-sized Ford, Chevy or 1/4 ton Ranger, Colorado, etc. for almost $10K less, it looks less appealing...

Offline PlanB

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +4/-3
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Forester 2.5, 2006 Impreza 2.5, 2008 Honda VFR 800Fi
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2010, 12:18:15 pm »
For a compact truck I think the Toyota Tacoma is great.  The reliability, the fact the it has the double cab is important as well.  But it costs justs too much!  You could buy a Ford F-150, or Chevrolet (not Chevy) Silverado for the same price, if not cheaper with all the rebates going on. 

While this may be true (full size being lower initial cost), I expect you'd get your money back in re-sale value and lower operating costs (gas/repair bills) of the Tacoma.

The Tacoma would be my choice for a truck b/c of the combination of capability, reliability, cost of ownership and quite simply design. 

spidey

« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2010, 12:34:56 pm »
I jave the Nissan Frontier (funny that wasnt used as a comparison in the article) and at the time (2005) it had more payload and towing capacity then the Tacoma.  Not sure about the new ones, but that was one of the reasons I got it.  I think the Frontier has more room, looks better and has higher capacities than the Toyotoa

Saying that, I do use mine as a truck.  Its used to tow a camper and haul stuff, not just to be pretty like so many truck owners.

If I could turn back time though, I would of bought a full size truck to future proof myself.  Since I bought it I have moved to an acreage, bought a quad and gotten a bigger trailer.

Right now while my truck can haul my camper, Im about 80% of its towing capacity, put a big hill into the mix and Im sure showing it.  Or maybe Im just being a wimpy with the gas and the rpms.  Righjt now I cant put the quad in the back because the box is to small, and had to borrow a neighbours truck when hauling a mattress because it wouldnt fit.

While many drivers wont need the full size capability, it sure is nice to have when you do need it.  Of course the drawback is the extra gas used.

So now Im in the process of finding a second used truck dedicated to hauling, etc.

If I knew this would of happened, I would of defintly bought a full size truck.  And since the cost of Full size is the same or even cheaper than this one, id go that route (if I could do it over again)

dragonflyjack

« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2010, 02:28:16 pm »
 Yo....Is a truck with a short bed and a 140 inch wheelbase a compact truck?   Methinks not...And for a medium/full-size truck, a 1000 pound payload is super wimpy...Apparently to get cruise control, you have to get the 5000 dollar TRD package.
  It's typical Toyota crapola...This truck is over 40 grand...Egads...By the way, I believe that tiny Ford Ranger has the same basic towing ability and a superior payload capacity...and gets great mileage...and costs half as much...And I actually think it looks better...even though the design is ancient... The gent with the Nissan had the right idea...That's a really nice little truck...They shell a ton of them here VS the Tacoma...There's a reason...dragonfly

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +310/-6812
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Hobby Car: 15 Mustang Vert, V6, manual, 3.55 lsd; 2024 MDX Aspec; 2022 F150 TREMOR lifted
« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2010, 03:50:09 pm »
The Tacoma has a 40% market share in the US market where the full range of Tacos are sold.  This includes Ranger, Mazda B, Ridgeline, the GM unit, the Dodge unit and the Frontier.  The success of the Taco is unparalleled.  :)

Offline PJungnitsch

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +170/-337
    • View Profile
    • Travel in Africa
  • Cars: Subaru Crosstrek, Lexus RX350, Evolve Carbon, Biktrix Juggernaut, Yamaha TW200
« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2010, 04:03:52 pm »
Toyota has priced this way higher (relative to other trucks) in Canada than in the US, and it shows in sales. As mentioned, loads of Tacomas running around S. of the border.

Payload-wise, 1150 lbs is only a couple hundred pounds under a double cab F150. Not a big deal. And the extra width of a full size (especially today's monsters) is a curse if you drive in town at all. There's definitely a place for the smaller truck, Toyota just needs to bring down the price.

aknutson

« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2010, 05:01:35 pm »
Payload-wise, 1150 lbs is only a couple hundred pounds under a double cab F150. Not a big deal. And the extra width of a full size (especially today's monsters) is a curse if you drive in town at all. There's definitely a place for the smaller truck, Toyota just needs to bring down the price.

I noticed you said 'today's monsters' and I wanted to echo that statement. The new F-150's look like late-2000's Super Duty's, they are just massive! The depth of the bed especially, which I understand comes in handy for some buyers, but its gone a bit far. I think there is a good market for mid-size trucks, but most makers don't take the time to build, engineer or price them competitively. Hyundai seems to be taking over the value car segment, who knows - maybe they'll be next to the pickup game? There's an interesting thought...

spidey

« Reply #13 on: June 22, 2010, 05:28:07 pm »
Funny thing I notice is the 2005 and on mid sizes are like the 97-2003 full sizes,  Ive been looking at older trucks and found a good 2000 Chev Silverado 1500.  Looking at the specs the towing capacity and payload are less then my mid size.

I know its not apples to apples, and it was the smaller 1500 (4.8L) but still it is a half ton. 

And todays half ton is really the old 3/4 ton
« Last Edit: June 22, 2010, 06:58:19 pm by spidey »

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Hobby Car: 15 Mustang Vert, V6, manual, 3.55 lsd; 2024 MDX Aspec; 2022 F150 TREMOR lifted
« Reply #14 on: June 22, 2010, 08:10:27 pm »
Hyundai seems to be taking over the value car segment, who knows - maybe they'll be next to the pickup game? There's an interesting thought...

Hope not and a terrible thought.  :)

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 22, 2010, 08:13:03 pm »
And todays half ton is really the old 3/4 ton

Pretty much.  The old 3/4 tons had punishing rides.

Offline pg2676

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +1/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 22, 2010, 09:23:17 pm »
The biggest problem between the compact pick up and 1/2 ton segment is a combination of box sizes vs. # of doors issues.  Every compact P/U comes with 4 doors barring the Ranger/B-Series, however you have to watch those box sizes.  Only the Tacoma and the Frontier come with 6' boxes in a 4 door model.  You have to watch the same thing in a 1/2 ton too as makes like the Chev are only available with a 5.5' box on the four door.  Chev Colorado comes with a V8, however this only increases the towing capacity to 5500lbs. Not sure why.  Dakota with the V8 and a 4 door can tow about 7000lbs, but only a 5.5' box. Ugly too, inside and out.
It all comes down to "what do I need this for"?  Myself, I own a Jeep Liberty and have been towing a 4000lb tent trailer and quad for the last 4 summers.  I could go with a compact p/u, however I have my doubts I could get my quad in the back of a Frontier or a Taco without having to jump the wheel wells in the box. 
By the way, a new Ford or Chev "Extended Cab" have almost as much leg room in the rear passenger area as a Nissan Frontier and a Chev Colorado, and can be had with a 6', 6.5', or even 8' box (really handy) depending on what you want for trim levels.  For the price of either of these 1/2 tons currently, you could save MORE than $10K compared to the compacts.

Offline Mozeby

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +10/-3
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 Chevy Cruze, 2013 Dodge Journey, 1968 Dodge Charger R/T
« Reply #17 on: June 23, 2010, 12:15:17 am »
The biggest problem between the compact pick up and 1/2 ton segment is a combination of box sizes vs. # of doors issues.  Every compact P/U comes with 4 doors barring the Ranger/B-Series, however you have to watch those box sizes.  Only the Tacoma and the Frontier come with 6' boxes in a 4 door model.  You have to watch the same thing in a 1/2 ton too as makes like the Chev are only available with a 5.5' box on the four door.  Chev Colorado comes with a V8, however this only increases the towing capacity to 5500lbs. Not sure why.  Dakota with the V8 and a 4 door can tow about 7000lbs, but only a 5.5' box. Ugly too, inside and out.
It all comes down to "what do I need this for"?  Myself, I own a Jeep Liberty and have been towing a 4000lb tent trailer and quad for the last 4 summers.  I could go with a compact p/u, however I have my doubts I could get my quad in the back of a Frontier or a Taco without having to jump the wheel wells in the box. 
By the way, a new Ford or Chev "Extended Cab" have almost as much leg room in the rear passenger area as a Nissan Frontier and a Chev Colorado, and can be had with a 6', 6.5', or even 8' box (really handy) depending on what you want for trim levels.  For the price of either of these 1/2 tons currently, you could save MORE than $10K compared to the compacts.

The Colorado can tow 6000lb.  But anyways, towing has as much to do with the frame and size of the vehicle, as it does with the motor. A larger, stronger body can handle the stresses of pulling a load, because that load also pulls the body.  A Silverado with the same 5.3 can tow around 9000lbs.  The Tacoma is really about the size of a Dakota.  Not so much a compact anymore.  The only compacts pickups these days are the Ranger and GM twins. 

John

« Reply #18 on: June 23, 2010, 04:34:34 pm »
I jave the Nissan Frontier (funny that wasnt used as a comparison in the article)
How did this reviewer miss the taco's direct competitor is beyond me.
More power (261/281), more payload (1383) and towing(6300).

spidey

« Reply #19 on: June 23, 2010, 04:55:02 pm »
I have the Nissan Frontier (funny that wasnt used as a comparison in the article)
How did this reviewer miss the taco's direct competitor is beyond me.
More power (261/281), more payload (1383) and towing(6300).

No idea, but it always seems then the have writeups like this, not just this site, that one is always overlooked.  Im not sure what the 2010 specs compare, but I know the 2005 specs was a no brainer.

Im not saying the 2005 Toyota wasnt a good vehicle, I just like the looks of the Frontier more side by side.