Author Topic: For my Subaru brothers....  (Read 3702 times)

Offline Snowman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +702/-1347
  • “It’s never crowded along the extra mile.”
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Cars: 2012 Audi TT-RS. 2011 Toyota Venza AWD.2004 Honda S2000 Bikes: Giant Defy Avdvanced 0. Giant Talon 29 "hardtail"
Re: For my Subaru brothers....
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2010, 12:05:14 pm »
 :skid:

Offline PlanB

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +4/-3
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Forester 2.5, 2006 Impreza 2.5, 2008 Honda VFR 800Fi
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2010, 12:25:36 pm »
That's fast indeed, but unless it's a production model (which it clearly is not with aftermarket/alternate market parts on it) it's essentially a 'tuner' car - and as far as 'tuner' cars go, I bet there are WAY faster Subaru's out there.  I don't see the point in this effort from Subaru?

Offline DockMan

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +1/-3
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2010, 12:51:51 pm »
:heart: Subaru.

O0
Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all. - John W. Gardner

vdk

« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2010, 01:58:30 pm »
 :thumbup: :thumbup:

Offline blur911

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +244/-779
  • Nasty Weasel
    • View Profile
  • Cars: and bikes by age:BMW, Porsche, Subaru, Suzuki, Suzuki, Mazda, Jaguar, Kawasaki, Porsche, GMC, Suzuki
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2010, 04:09:20 pm »
Also - many WRX/STi owners modify their cars. In many ways this is an ode to them.

From talking to a few people in SPDA they don't always hold up too well after the mods.  "They weren't really designed to be a race engine" was one quote from a guy with a smoking STI at the Ontario Regional Autoslalom, at least his was still under warranty.  Actually I think his engine was still stock.

Making me re-think whether I'm going to switch entirely to Subaru or stick with my old quattros.
Mr Pickypants

Offline Snowman

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Cars: 2012 Audi TT-RS. 2011 Toyota Venza AWD.2004 Honda S2000 Bikes: Giant Defy Avdvanced 0. Giant Talon 29 "hardtail"
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2010, 04:52:15 pm »
Both my WRX's were Stage 2, modded out of the box , and ran +100,000 kms with not one issue. I think most of the issues are driver related.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7213
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2010, 05:04:32 pm »
Yea....I've also not seen any issues with all of the modded Subarus I've seen.  Subarus mod well...as with any car, you can't overdo it as the stock fuel system and internals will only go so far...

Here's an STi that called me out at the track...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vatxeZg10Ps
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

CatsEye68

« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2010, 07:28:07 pm »
It may be a taste of things to come. There may well be a special edition based on this car (I hope so and I hope it comes here).

The point of this is publicity and to show what Subaru is capable of (especially now with no WRC).

Also - many WRX/STi owners modify their cars. In many ways this is an ode to them.

Would they be referred to as "piston slappies"?

Offline evil_twin

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +253/-253
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Cadillac CT5-V Blackwing, 2018 Audi Q7 3.0T
« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2010, 10:01:07 am »
Agree with the Cobb Stage 1 Map.  It is very appealing.  A very 'safe' mode' that provides enough gains for all but the most diehard track monsters.

Vman, let's consider 2 for 1 deal later this year.  Xmas time would be perfect.

Offline Snowman

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2010, 10:20:54 am »
As soon as I Move to Oakville and settle in I will be visiting my tuner in Mississauga for a Stage 1 from COBB.  :)

Offline mrthompson

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +70/-42
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Honda CR-V (The Green Machine)
« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2010, 10:44:56 am »

;D

Offline Snowman

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2010, 10:56:37 am »
Who's your tuner?

Paul at Neetronics. They have an AWD Dyno and ProTune COBB

Offline Snowman

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 10, 2010, 11:09:53 am »
I've been eyeing Neetronics. I know there are other threads on this topic, but how are your experiences there? I thought they were in Oakville?

They are a great but schedule flexibility is key. Last time I was there it was $200/hr on the dyno and it will take 4 house for a protune. Paul is probably the best tuner in Canada and is hands on unlike the mail in ECU types. Every car is unique and he will trailer the tune to the driver.

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +758/-938
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
« Reply #14 on: June 10, 2010, 12:25:28 pm »
Almost everyone I know has at least one Subaru.  Skiers/climbers/etc are nuts for them.  Some of the gang have modded cars (Forester XT is a fave, but we have a few WRX and STi owners in our cadre) and none of them have had any reliability problems.

One guy has a 2002 WRX that he's modded out to wazoo, and the little 2.0 seems unbreakable.  His transmission, not so much.  That's been the only weak point for him.  He's running a 2005 trans now, no more problems.

The 2.5L turbos engines had some intial problems, but I hear that Subaru has rectified them.

Subaru leaves a LOT of horsepower on the table.

Offline PlanB

• Enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 11, 2010, 03:32:57 pm »

True, they do this in favor of bullit-proof reliability.  Subaru owners know for the most part, when they do the regularly scheduled maintenance, their vehicles will be solid for pretty much as long as they want them to be. 

In my own personal experience, my Subaru's only - and I mean only - weak point, has been paint.  Fuji Heavy Industries doesn't consider this an issue and has for years and years given their vehicles questionable paint-work.  That said, even this can be taken care of with regular paint-maintenance and a little TLC now and then. 

Offline Snowman

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 16, 2010, 07:48:30 am »

True, they do this in favor of bullit-proof reliability.  Subaru owners know for the most part, when they do the regularly scheduled maintenance, their vehicles will be solid for pretty much as long as they want them to be. 

In my own personal experience, my Subaru's only - and I mean only - weak point, has been paint.  Fuji Heavy Industries doesn't consider this an issue and has for years and years given their vehicles questionable paint-work.  That said, even this can be taken care of with regular paint-maintenance and a little TLC now and then. 

I agree, every Subaru other than the Tribeca had soft paint and is prone to chipping.

Offline blur911

• Car Crazy
  • Nasty Weasel
    • View Profile
  • Cars: and bikes by age:BMW, Porsche, Subaru, Suzuki, Suzuki, Mazda, Jaguar, Kawasaki, Porsche, GMC, Suzuki
« Reply #17 on: September 08, 2010, 09:09:14 am »

From talking to a few people in SPDA they don't always hold up too well after the mods.  "They weren't really designed to be a race engine" was one quote from a guy with a smoking STI at the Ontario Regional Autoslalom, at least his was still under warranty.  Actually I think his engine was still stock.

Well, so far this season of autocrossing I've seen 4 cars with blown head gaskets, 3 or them were Subaru, another one with a STI drivetrain went on Sunday.

Offline PlanB

• Enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 13, 2010, 10:19:53 pm »

Making me re-think whether I'm going to switch entirely to Subaru or stick with my old quattros.

And you believed this idiot?  Surely you watched the World Rally Championships when Subaru had a team, no?  They dominated for a while until other teams caught up to them.   Any motor, no matter the design or the configuration will fail if it is modified improperly by amateurs . 

Offline blur911

• Car Crazy
  • Nasty Weasel
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 13, 2010, 11:01:05 pm »

And you believed this idiot?  Surely you watched the World Rally Championships when Subaru had a team, no?  They dominated for a while until other teams caught up to them.   Any motor, no matter the design or the configuration will fail if it is modified improperly by amateurs . 

Hey, I'm just telling what I'm seeing and hearing at the track this year.  The failures are not catastrophic, but seem to not be too unusual.  That said, there is a large sample of modded Subaru's being raced and $#!t happens. 
Head gaskets have long been a weak spot on boosted engines from most manufacturers, it's certainly hasn't been unheard of in Subaru's in the past.