Author Topic: Test Drive: 2010 Honda Civic Sedan Sport  (Read 22325 times)

Offline Autos_Editor

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +91/-560
    • View Profile
Test Drive: 2010 Honda Civic Sedan Sport
« on: June 04, 2010, 04:06:10 am »

Though it looks sportier than the base Civic Sedan DX and has better tires and brakes, the Civic Sedan Sport sedan has the same powertrain, so don't expect its performance to be significantly sportier, says editor-in-chief, Greg Wilson.

Read More...

Offline sailor723

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +416/-1000
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '17 BMW X5 Xdrive35i, '11 BMW 328iXdrive,
Re: Test Drive: 2010 Honda Civic Sedan Sport
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2010, 06:55:39 am »
Cars that are labeled "sport" with nothing to back it up but some decals and chrome always seem faintly silly to me.
Old Jag convertible...one itch I won't have to scratch again.

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +298/-675
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Taos
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2010, 06:56:51 am »
 :iagree:  and pickups and minivans labeled sport seem totally out to lunch.
The most radical revolutionary will become a conservative the day after the revolution.

Offline Thinking Out Loud

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +19/-16
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '16 Suzuki M50 Boulevard + '19 Frontier Pro4X + 2015 Mustang EcoBoost 'vert + '09 Altima SL Coupe
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2010, 07:41:28 am »
Reminds me of the "Z-22 Package" GM used to offer on Cavaliers....spoiler; several year old overstock 15" aluminium rims; several Z-22 decals; and the in-vogue sticker appliques of broad squiggles of colour down the sides.  Yup.  Definitely similar to the Z-24!

Then there is the Yaris "RS":

Rally Sport? 
Really Small? 
Ridiculously 'Spensive? 
Really Slow?

This 'Sport / Special Edition / Plus / Extra' marketing stuff happens with all manufacturers though, when their product is at the end of it's product cycle and it is no longer THE car to have with more currentl vehciles outclassing it.

And yes, I recognize that the Yaris has alwaya had an RS available - just wanted to point out that any reference to enhanced driving experience should be banned without a HP upgrade. IE:

Sentra SL: 140 hp
Sentra SE-R: 177 hp
Sentra SE-R Spec V: 200 hp

« Last Edit: June 04, 2010, 07:44:59 am by Thinking Out Loud »
Fortune favours the bold!

hemusbull

« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2010, 08:25:19 am »
Honda continue not to listen to their fans! They shouldn't launch this fraud named Sport, t's a mistake. And I am not agree with the autor that dashboard's "bold design" didn't "derailed Civic sales" - as Civic and Acura EL owner I can tell you I do not want to buy 8 gen civic cause I personaly hate this second floor speedo. There are probably more potential customers like me. Overall Fit's dashboard is better for my tastes. Sorry - I am waiting next generation Civic!

Jackmac

« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2010, 08:48:47 am »
The Civic is still a great package for everyday performance and economy, but it's fallen behind rivals in terms of features.  There's no excuse for stability/traction control to be missing, and at this price and trim level a trip computer, bluetooth and fog lamps should also be standard.  Even the dumpy Corolla 'S' has most of these, and the Kia Forte SX simply blows it away from a price/feature standpoint, for about $2k less.

aknutson

« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2010, 08:50:31 am »
Honda continue not to listen to their fans! They shouldn't launch this fraud named Sport, t's a mistake. And I am not agree with the autor that dashboard's "bold design" didn't "derailed Civic sales" - as Civic and Acura EL owner I can tell you I do not want to buy 8 gen civic cause I personaly hate this second floor speedo. There are probably more potential customers like me. Overall Fit's dashboard is better for my tastes. Sorry - I am waiting next generation Civic!

I'm not a big fan of the 2-tier dash either, and I have heard similar comments. I'm sure it's something to get used to, Honda makes a fine product and usually does their homework, but while being a younger person I guess I'm just old-school in the way I like a set of analog gauges. This is a car that makes a lot of sense for commuters and families that need something affordable and reliable, having owned a couple in the past I know they are built well.

Offline mmret

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +240/-570
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2010, 09:27:07 am »
Cars that are labeled "sport" with nothing to back it up but some decals and chrome always seem faintly silly to me.

I have much sympathy for this but the vast majority of the car buying public sees "sportiness" as an image thing (whatever that is). Hence sport utility vehicle.

Its kind of like how you can slap an Audi or Bentley badge on a VW Phaeton and its suddenly way, way cooler instead of just being a bigger Passat.
You can't just have your characters announce how they feel.
That makes me feel angry!

Present: 15.5 V60 T6 + Polestar, 17 MDX
Sometimes Borrow: 11 GLK350
Dark and Twisted Past: 13 TL AWD, 07 Z4 3.0si, 07 CLK550, 06 TSX, 07 Civic, 01 Grandma!

Offline libraman

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +1/-4
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2010, 10:21:45 am »
I don't like the dash either, nor the driving position. Looking for something different in next gerneration. I think they have delayed that for a year, mind.

Offline DarkHelmet

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +0/-1
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '10 Golf 2.5 5-spd, '06 X-Trail BV
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2010, 10:59:54 am »
The 2-tiered speedo/tach has kept me away from buying a Civic, and I believe many others, but still not enough to put a true dent in sales.  I still like Honda, and am anxious to see the 2011/2012.

Sival

« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2010, 11:01:07 am »
The predicted acceleration of the Civic automatic compared to other compacts is erroneous. All direct comparisons between automatic compacts indicate that the Civic automatic is more amongst the slower to 100 Km/h than among the faster, but the transmission downshifts eagerly and is well geared to help passing maneuvers. Consumer Reports says they tested a Civic automatic that did 0-60 mph in 10,1 seconds, the same as the Focus automatic and the Elantra automatic and a tad slower than an automatic Corolla. The Mazda 3, the Lancer, the Cobalt and the Sentra all are half a second faster to 100 Km/h or more. Motortrend's comparison also indicated that automatic Lancers and Sentras are up to one second faster than the Civic to 60 mph.

For the Civic fans, they can seek consolation in the fact that it was faster than a Caliber automatic... though the Caliber accelerated faster after 30 mph. In Consumer Reports' testing, it took 6,5 additional seconds for the Civic to reach 60 mph after reaching 30 mph, versus 6,2 seconds for the Caliber.

who cares

« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2010, 11:24:16 am »
...and we used to make fun of the Corolla Sport?  :rofl:

aknutson

« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2010, 11:27:17 am »
The predicted acceleration of the Civic automatic compared to other compacts is erroneous. All direct comparisons between automatic compacts indicate that the Civic automatic is more amongst the slower to 100 Km/h than among the faster, but the transmission downshifts eagerly and is well geared to help passing maneuvers. Consumer Reports says they tested a Civic automatic that did 0-60 mph in 10,1 seconds, the same as the Focus automatic and the Elantra automatic and a tad slower than an automatic Corolla. The Mazda 3, the Lancer, the Cobalt and the Sentra all are half a second faster to 100 Km/h or more. Motortrend's comparison also indicated that automatic Lancers and Sentras are up to one second faster than the Civic to 60 mph.

For the Civic fans, they can seek consolation in the fact that it was faster than a Caliber automatic... though the Caliber accelerated faster after 30 mph. In Consumer Reports' testing, it took 6,5 additional seconds for the Civic to reach 60 mph after reaching 30 mph, versus 6,2 seconds for the Caliber.

I don't think many Civic 'sport' buyers are concerned about 0-60, if they were they would buy the Si model which has 200hp. The 'sport', as others have said, is a misleading term just to add upscale trim - almost every manufacturer does this now. Insurance companies LOVE the 'sport' models...no more power but they can claim it's a higher risk vehicle because it is a sports model.

Dan

« Reply #13 on: June 04, 2010, 11:28:37 am »
My brother has an 06 Civic and I dove it a few times and I must admit that it is a very nice ride and handles really nice too but it does take some getting used to not being able to see the nose of the car. I feel that the driver sits almost half way back which makes it even harder to judge where the nose ends but Im sure if it was my daily car I would eventually get used to it. As for the 0-100km its almost pointless to judge cuz honestly how often do people race from light to light...Im more interested in the passing ability because thats what we all encounter in our daily commutes and I do realize that its not the fastest but it does a good job. I too am anxious to see the new design and features of the next generation.

Sival

« Reply #14 on: June 04, 2010, 11:31:09 am »

I don't think many Civic 'sport' buyers are concerned about 0-60, if they were they would buy the Si model which has 200hp. The 'sport', as others have said, is a misleading term just to add upscale trim - almost every manufacturer does this now. Insurance companies LOVE the 'sport' models...no more power but they can claim it's a higher risk vehicle because it is a sports model.

I was just pointing out an error in the article that supposed that the Civic automatic should be faster than competitors like the Mazda 3 automatic.

I do agree that the "Sport" moniker quite often makes no sense. Some companies even use it just to mean a stripped down car, because it's more "sporty" when it has less comfort features I guess. See for instance the Jeep Compass and Patriot Sport, both are the bottom trim. Anyway, "sport" doesn't mean much of anything nowadays.

new age group

« Reply #15 on: June 04, 2010, 11:42:56 am »
The only true sport model of the Civic is the Si, which stands for Sport Injected. Not just "Sport" labeled ... LOL

Dubbs

« Reply #16 on: June 04, 2010, 12:29:54 pm »
Drove this vehicle back to back with a VW Golf, and what a difference. I can't see how people continue to buy this vehicle, or any asian vehicle for that matter. VW is leaps and bounds ahead of Honda/Toyota in terms of feel and fun to drive factor. I would take a "base" Golf 2.5 over a loaded Honda Civic in a heartbeat.

PS I have owned 1 Honda (POS) and 2 Toyotas (Very Reliable) in the last 9 years.

Offline bridgecity

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +126/-182
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 MDX; 2007 Tundra
« Reply #17 on: June 04, 2010, 12:31:30 pm »
I can't see how people continue to buy this vehicle, or any asian vehicle for that matter. VW is leaps and bounds ahead of Honda/Toyota in terms of feel and fun to drive factor.

Because not everyone bases their choice on "feel and fun to drive factor".
Quality is never an accident; it is always the result of high intention, sincere effort, intelligent direction, and skillful execution; it represents the wise choice of many alternatives.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7210
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 04, 2010, 12:34:43 pm »
Drove this vehicle back to back with a VW Golf, and what a difference. I can't see how people continue to buy this vehicle, or any asian vehicle for that matter. VW is leaps and bounds ahead of Honda/Toyota in terms of feel and fun to drive factor. I would take a "base" Golf 2.5 over a loaded Honda Civic in a heartbeat.

PS I have owned 1 Honda (POS) and 2 Toyotas (Very Reliable) in the last 9 years.

The Honda gets better real world fuel mileage.  And some will say over the long haul, it will be more reliable.
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

SJP

« Reply #19 on: June 04, 2010, 01:53:44 pm »
True, just like those "Special Editions"

But it is special, the other ones don't have those stickers!