Author Topic: 2011 Ford F-350 Super Duty; Day 1  (Read 17729 times)

Offline Rupert

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +49/-160
    • View Profile
Re: 2011 Ford F-350 Super Duty; Day 1
« Reply #20 on: May 26, 2010, 05:54:23 pm »
I wonder if mega trailers will be around in any quantity much longer. A working truck has a bench seat and is minimalistic.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7214
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 26, 2010, 06:00:06 pm »
I think the diesel V10 Touareg puts out 310hp and 553 ft-lbs of torque (749.8Nm). Still lots.

This sucker puts out 996.5Nm. Enough to move my mother-in-law. Just.

You're right, I'm confusing my Nm with my ft-lbs! doh..

S'ok Bob. You'll fit in eventually! ;D

I'm surprised you don't have a truck yet since you recently moved to Hillbillyville.   ;D
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-574
  • Profesional Dash Stroker
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Tundra, GTI, Triumph Tiger, KTM, C63 AMG, FZ-09, Triumph Speed Triple, VW Golf Wagon TDI, BMW 535i, Honda CRF250L, Hyundai Genesis Coupe, Mitsubishi Outlander, Lotus Exige, Subaru Impreza, Peugeot 106, BMW Z4, Toyota MR2 MKIII, Ford Sierra Sapphire
« Reply #22 on: May 26, 2010, 07:18:20 pm »
I considered it.

Choosing a car based on reliability is like choosing a wife based solely because she is punctual. There is more to it than that...

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 26, 2010, 07:29:11 pm »
I considered it.

LOL....I meant Sir Osis...not you, Bob!   :rofl2:

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-574
  • Profesional Dash Stroker
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Tundra, GTI, Triumph Tiger, KTM, C63 AMG, FZ-09, Triumph Speed Triple, VW Golf Wagon TDI, BMW 535i, Honda CRF250L, Hyundai Genesis Coupe, Mitsubishi Outlander, Lotus Exige, Subaru Impreza, Peugeot 106, BMW Z4, Toyota MR2 MKIII, Ford Sierra Sapphire
« Reply #24 on: May 26, 2010, 08:59:48 pm »
I considered it.

I'm trying to fit in with the rednecks!  :rofl2:

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 26, 2010, 09:06:27 pm »
I considered it.

I'm trying to fit in with the rednecks!  :rofl2:

Better work on that accent then!!

Offline Sir Osis of Liver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1376/-1726
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 KTM DUKE 390, 2019 VW Jetta GLI 35th Anniversary
« Reply #26 on: May 26, 2010, 11:59:04 pm »
I think the diesel V10 Touareg puts out 310hp and 553 ft-lbs of torque (749.8Nm). Still lots.

You're right, I'm confusing my Nm with my ft-lbs! doh..

S'ok Bob. You'll fit in eventually! ;D

I'm surprised you don't have a truck yet since you recently moved to Hillbillyville.   ;D

Last thing I need is some smart-mouthed, librul Easterner tellin' me what to drive, boy.  ;D

Biggest surprise about moving here, there aren't anymore pickups here than in Fredericton, and you very rarely see cowboy hats and big belt buckles. What the hell am I going to do with my new belt, hat, boots and string tie now?
On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.

H. L. Mencken

Offline Sir Osis of Liver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1376/-1726
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 KTM DUKE 390, 2019 VW Jetta GLI 35th Anniversary
« Reply #27 on: May 27, 2010, 12:03:13 am »

I don't think I want to meet your mother-in-law.

You might have already sceen her. She used to do commercials.

THAT'S HER! :run:

My MIL is so fat, she puts on a black t-shirt and gets in her car, everybody thinks she's got tinted windows!

John Doe

« Reply #28 on: May 27, 2010, 01:26:03 am »

I don't think I want to meet your mother-in-law.

You might have already sceen her. She used to do commercials.

THAT'S HER! :run:

My MIL is so fat, she puts on a black t-shirt and gets in her car, everybody thinks she's got tinted windows!

Mmmmm.... Fat MIL leads to heavy  :cheers:

aknutson

« Reply #29 on: May 27, 2010, 08:51:09 am »
I wonder if mega trailers will be around in any quantity much longer. A working truck has a bench seat and is minimalistic.

I like this post, someone who knows what a 'work truck' means. Lots of power to get the job done, but skip all the luxury goodies. That's why I've always gotten a kick out of Ford's special edition trucks with all the bells and whistles - these aren't for hard-working guys who need a tough truck, it's for wannabe hard-working guys who want the image of being tough. When was the last time you saw a Harley Davidson or King Ranch with dirt on it? I passed an F350 dually the other day, base model with gray plastic bumpers, dirt all over and dented doors and bumpers...now THAT'S a work truck!

Joe0168

« Reply #30 on: May 27, 2010, 09:38:05 am »
Not a daily driver? Come on I can only afford to have one vehicle and its gotta be able to tow my 10K plus fifth wheel.  I can't see spending 50Grand on a vehicle just to drive every other weekend.  This thing takes me everywhere, the wife has a Taurus but usually we all just get in the 250 to go to dinner.

Offline wing

• Big Wig
  • Administrator
  • Carma: +279/-320
  • If you ain't first ... you're last!
    • View Profile
    • Drivesideways
  • Cars: 2009 Lexus ISF, 2009 Lexus LX570,2011 Audi A5 Touring Car
« Reply #31 on: May 27, 2010, 09:52:12 am »
My neighbour uses his daily as well, but very few people buy F-350's as their daily driver (at least in Canada)

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
« Reply #32 on: May 27, 2010, 10:01:16 am »

I like this post, someone who knows what a 'work truck' means. Lots of power to get the job done, but skip all the luxury goodies. That's why I've always gotten a kick out of Ford's special edition trucks with all the bells and whistles - these aren't for hard-working guys who need a tough truck, it's for wannabe hard-working guys who want the image of being tough. When was the last time you saw a Harley Davidson or King Ranch with dirt on it? I passed an F350 dually the other day, base model with gray plastic bumpers, dirt all over and dented doors and bumpers...now THAT'S a work truck!

Another person who think he knows what it is to use a truck for a living ::)
I can spend over to 3 hour driving to get to a work site , work 8 hours then drive back
I want the nices interior I can get. Heat /cool seats would nice ;D

aknutson

« Reply #33 on: May 27, 2010, 11:10:27 am »

Another person who think he knows what it is to use a truck for a living ::)
I can spend over to 3 hour driving to get to a work site , work 8 hours then drive back
I want the nices interior I can get. Heat /cool seats would nice ;D

...and since this was a reply in agreement to a previous comment, apparently I'm not alone. Perhaps you're the one confused about what it means to use a truck for a living?  ??? Note that I said 'work truck', not a truck to 'get to work'. Surely a hard day's work could get done without heated, cooled, hand-stitched imported leather seats. When we were driving our Silverado HD for our Landscaping company, there was a permanently mud-caked floor, beat-up dashboard full of tools and equipment, and nothing was ever clean...something tells me this pretty-boy stuff couldn't handle the simple, hose-out interior of that old GM, and the cost is just nonsensical.

67 Piston Slap

« Reply #34 on: May 27, 2010, 01:27:23 pm »
We have TWO  F350 in our family: One is a 2006 with the craptacular 6.0L power-stroke and its perpetual CEL light and wrench light and sticky VGT turbo vane problems and EGR implosion, expansion chamber regurgitations and carbon build up and chaffing wires and this and that,  and the other a is 2001 F-350 HD with the 7.3L that is bullet-proof, has serious grunt but makes continental drift look like a trip to the market, so slow its reaction times are. The advantage of the older model is it has that 18th century solid front axle that makes it track like, uhm... like it has a solid front axle on leafs.
The advantages of the 6.0L are uhmm.. perhaps the color since it's white and thus stays cooler in the summer since both AC on both trucks no longer work.

Both of these trucks leak/seep oil from every conceivable seal and gasket ever put on them. Both ingest/regurgitate/vanish coolant at will when pushed. They are like old steam locomotives and require refills after every trip to a horse-show pulling a trailer.

Both are full of dog hair, smell like horse poop inside and out, are covered in baked mud and dust, one has moss growing on its north-facing side (from being parked outside a barn on a shaded area) and both tow a 60ft 4 horse horse trailer with living quarters and have the scars to prove it.

NO ONE comes close to cutting in front of me when I commute to work on one of these cro magnon mobiles. Everyone is as courteous as hell, which does not happen very often when I'm on my regular car (German import) This is a bout the only good thing there is about driving one of these nightmare on wheels: no one messes up with you.

BTW, Has your CEL light come on yet? Are there spots on your driveway?? No??? Just wait a few months and start befriending your friendly Ford dealer service manager, and once the warranty expires, start inviting your closest good diesel mechanic for your Christmas dinners and social functions...

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
« Reply #35 on: May 27, 2010, 02:05:00 pm »
Surely a hard day's work could get done without heated, cooled, hand-stitched imported leather seats. When we were driving our Silverado HD for our Landscaping company, there was a permanently mud-caked floor, beat-up dashboard full of tools and equipment, and nothing was ever clean...

My truck has over $60gs of equipment in it. Cap and ladders. It is my office

Just because you want to be a pig in a truck you drive does not everyone wants too

jimbeam

« Reply #36 on: May 27, 2010, 07:06:39 pm »
Yet another group of "non truck" people reading and commenting on a vehicle they would never consider.   For the real truck people in the crowd; you have made some excellent points.   For those of us who use our truck as a daily driver to shuttle family around and go to work and tow on the weekends and the boat in the summer and the sleds in the winter this is the perfect vehicle.  Operating costs are higher than driving a corolla but a corolla is useless to me.

I think I read this new ford diesel truck is getting around 35 mpg on the highway, loaded or unloaded.  So all the tree huggers in the crowd can sleep at night.

if you hate trucks then stop trolling.  if you appreciate their functionality then great, I like reading your insight.  cheers

jimbeam

jimbeam

« Reply #37 on: May 27, 2010, 07:09:03 pm »
Forgot to mention I think Ford's research indicates around 90% of SuperDuty buyers tow with their trucks.   

JimBeam

Offline G0dspd

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +11/-4
  • Vroum Vroum
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 27, 2010, 09:41:36 pm »
Yet another group of "non truck" people reading and commenting on a vehicle they would never consider.   For the real truck people in the crowd; you have made some excellent points.   For those of us who use our truck as a daily driver to shuttle family around and go to work and tow on the weekends and the boat in the summer and the sleds in the winter this is the perfect vehicle.  Operating costs are higher than driving a corolla but a corolla is useless to me.

Yeah, you really need a F-350 Super Duty to haul your toys on the weekend.  :rofl2:  A half-ton (F-150) is more than enough for your needs (according to your post).  A decent crossover would probably be more practical.
"Can we make this quick? I have to give a banana to Annie's Boobs."

jimbeam

« Reply #39 on: May 28, 2010, 08:48:15 am »
LOL... I suppose if I DIDN'T have a wife, 3 kids, a dog, and only towed a jetski then ya maybe a V6 Escape or Rav would be adequate but that is not the case.  6000LB boat plus supplies, kids toys, bicycles etc etc.   Or the 4 quads and hunting gear for the moose hunt in northern Ontario.   I guess I could survive with a 1/2 ton but why not get a superduty diesel and have no worries?   

"A decent crossover would probably be more practical"

LOL!  So cruising down the 401 at 105km/hr in a v6 Rav with it's floor pan scraping the ground would be more practical?   LOL.  It would certainly be very UNSAFE for all the other people using the highway.  Potential fatal disaster.   I would rather travel in safety and comfort than to try and appease the trolls and "do gooders" on these forums who are holier than thou.

Think "Big Picture"