Author Topic: Long-term test: 2010 Volkswagen Jetta TDI, wrap-up  (Read 31230 times)

diceman

Re: Long-term test: 2010 Volkswagen Jetta TDI, wrap-up
« Reply #60 on: May 12, 2010, 08:30:54 pm »
"The Civics trunk is 12 cu ft , big difference HUH. I figure with your 30 years of driving experience you would see that"

Yes, I do see that, so what's your point? Are you saying no one will cross shop between the Civic and Jetta/Golf?  In any given car class there can be a pretty good difference in dimensions, and some are more important than others. A tall driver  might look for a little more leg room, and be willing to sacrifice a bit of trunk size. If cargo space is all that matters then just by a consumer report magazine, look up the trunk size and go buy the biggest one. The Civic has an inch more front leg room, so I guess it must be better right? Comparing two vehicles is more than simply picking one statistic and making a decision.
A bit of trunk size how about a third of its size. But a whole inch of legroom!!!

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7214
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: May 12, 2010, 08:47:01 pm »

LOL, no matter. One toyota is like another. You just go from dishwasher to an oven.

You've obviously never driven a Supra....
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

SJP

« Reply #62 on: May 12, 2010, 09:00:39 pm »
I guess you miss the point entirely, if trunk space in that important to you, then it goes higher on the list, but it is hardly the only criteria. Are you still thinking no one interested in a Jetta/Golf wouldn't be looking at a Civic too? Or a Mazda 3 for that matter? And that extra inch might make a difference if it means you legs fit. My point was not that the extra inch matters, it is just one of many things that set the vehicles apart. If cargo space if that important to you, your are foolish to not get a wagon. Maybe a PT cruiser would be better? It has an extra 4 cubic feet over the Jetta that you seem to think is so vital

SJP

« Reply #63 on: May 12, 2010, 09:16:33 pm »
Absolute true story!!! A good friend of mine stopped by a few hours ago in his Jetta Diesel. We talked about how reliable the engine is, 350 000 kms no trouble, and he wished the rest of the car lasted like the engine. I just got a call, it died on the side of the road on his way home. I hope he gets it sorted out, he's has no idea what happened, it died and won't go again.

Offline kard00d

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +3/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: May 12, 2010, 10:32:14 pm »
Playing the 'Civic' card is a non-argument really.   You can pretty much take any non-luxury sedan and destroy its value proposition when comparing it to the Civic based on economy, reliability, practicality and price.

Because all anyone really needs, from a completely rational perspective,  is a Civic.   The overall bang for the buck is hard to beat.

If you were forced to swap any typical sedan with a Civic I doubt your quality of life would suffer too much.   

But, there's nothing rational about cars!

SJP

« Reply #65 on: May 12, 2010, 10:40:45 pm »
All good points, but the Civic does exist, and not only is it a good value, but not a totally boring appliance to drive around in(for the record, I don't won a Civic) but as long as a yard stick exists, others will be held to it. If one company can provide a certain level of fun, reliability and value, others should be able to do the same. We are not talking about owning an exotic here, where you can live with some of the quirks for the overall driving fun. The Jetta is an affordable compact mainstream car, a nice one, with a lot going for it, but that's what it is, and should be judged against others in it's category.

Offline sacrat

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +21/-64
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2018 Ford Escape Titanium; 2014 Ford Fusion Titanium AWD;2014 Hyundai Elantra GL ; 2012 Infiniti G37X
« Reply #66 on: May 13, 2010, 12:03:21 am »

[/quote]
Yeah, an Echo must be soooo enjoyable. ::)
[/quote]

The Echo is my winter/beater car, you tool.....LOL

Newbs.....sigh....
[/quote]

Perhaps if you didn't have an Echo, you wouldn't be at 10,000 posts here. I'd be looking for reasons not to drive it too...
Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity. Martin Luther King, Jr.

lindtech

« Reply #67 on: May 13, 2010, 12:44:35 am »
My oil change at 15K (2009 TDI Wagon) was $110 and this is the same dealer that I have used for close to 35 years.  Exceptional service.  There must be the odd dealer out there that shouldn't that VW hasn't weeded out.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: May 13, 2010, 01:19:08 am »

Yeah, an Echo must be soooo enjoyable. ::)
[/quote]

The Echo is my winter/beater car, you tool.....LOL

Newbs.....sigh....
[/quote]

Perhaps if you didn't have an Echo, you wouldn't be at 10,000 posts here. I'd be looking for reasons not to drive it too...
[/quote]

Sigh..another newb.  Ok..Ill fill you guys in.  I bought the Echo because my 640HP+ Supra didn't go through the snow very well.  Make sense?  It has also served duty as a city bang-around car for my GF (a visiting nurse), so she wouldn't put anymore wear and tear on her modded Lexus IS300 (vandals threw a brick through the window and robbed the car of her electronics and medical supplies). She now uses a 2002 Accord Coupe for her beater. I know it might be hard to understand, given that it wouldn't matter much if you ruined a Sonata, a car that would be a great beater!  Reliable, comfy and good on gas.

Don't hate me because I had cars that were too good to be subjected to salt and winter roads.. ;)

Am I really that unique for having a winter beater?
« Last Edit: May 13, 2010, 01:23:43 am by rrocket »

Offline Wheelboy

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +1/-1
  • Can party with the best.
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2013 Mercedes-Benz C-350
« Reply #69 on: May 13, 2010, 09:47:01 am »
Oh..the used to.  I remember seeing their APR Europe page and they did diesels...

I just came from the N.Am APR page and I don't see any mention of diesels.
Dopelar Effect - "The tendency of stupid people to seem smarter when they come at you rapidly."

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +298/-675
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Taos
« Reply #70 on: May 13, 2010, 09:49:21 am »
Oh..the used to.  I remember seeing their APR Europe page and they did diesels...

I just came from the N.Am APR page and I don't see any mention of diesels.
Yes I had just looked before posting yesterday. probably there are just not enough for them to bother here.

There was a thing called a Powerbox... and it still exists for the 2.0 TDI     http://www.powerboxtuning.co.uk/

IIRC H2sport used to sell them.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2010, 09:52:24 am by tpl »
The most radical revolutionary will become a conservative the day after the revolution.

SJP

« Reply #71 on: May 13, 2010, 07:07:53 pm »
They stopped making Porsche 959's and MacLaren f1's too, and a pile of other great cars what is your point?

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +758/-938
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
« Reply #72 on: May 13, 2010, 08:34:03 pm »
They stopped making Porsche 959's and MacLaren f1's too, and a pile of other great cars what is your point?

He never has a point.  He's a douche-nozzle troll.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: May 13, 2010, 08:39:24 pm »

He never has a point.  He's a douche-nozzle troll.

I was going to say something, but bit my tongue.  You sir, are my hero!

:)

Offline Erik

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +60/-374
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2000 Honda Insight
« Reply #74 on: May 13, 2010, 11:52:26 pm »
I figure a guy should at least become a member before he can start beating up on rrocket. :)
"The car is the closest thing we will ever create to something that is alive." - Sir William Lyons

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #75 on: May 14, 2010, 12:07:19 am »
I figure a guy should at least become a member before he can start beating up on rrocket. :)

Meh...feel free.  Whatever gets you through the night...

You just have to consider the source.

Offline Erik

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +60/-374
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2000 Honda Insight
« Reply #76 on: May 14, 2010, 12:09:57 am »

Meh...feel free.  Whatever gets you through the night...

You just have to consider the source.

Just trying to be supportive, bud. :)

Offline jpd

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +8/-16
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: May 14, 2010, 10:08:50 am »
I do not think people should consider buying a VW TDI with DSG tranny, they won't like it......

I do not think people should even consider buying a VW TDI, they won't like it.....

I do not think people should also consider buying a VW, they won't like it.....

Offline Wheelboy

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +1/-1
  • Can party with the best.
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2013 Mercedes-Benz C-350
« Reply #78 on: May 14, 2010, 10:53:29 am »
I do not think people should consider buying a VW TDI with DSG tranny, they won't like it......
I do not think people should even consider buying a VW TDI, they won't like it.....
I do not think people should also consider buying a VW, they won't like it.....

Can I take it that you're not a VW salesperson then? 

vdk

« Reply #79 on: May 14, 2010, 11:20:19 am »
That was cute.