Author Topic: Long-term test: 2010 Volkswagen Jetta TDI, wrap-up  (Read 31224 times)

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7214
    • View Profile
Re: Long-term test: 2010 Volkswagen Jetta TDI, wrap-up
« Reply #40 on: May 12, 2010, 04:46:12 pm »
Someone else long-term testing a Jetta TDI (Edmunds? Car and Driver?) also complained of the jerky DSG in the car.  Maybe the DGS+torque a plenty causes some jerkiness?
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +391/-634
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Rock'n Rolla Nightstalker
« Reply #41 on: May 12, 2010, 04:51:52 pm »
Questions for you VW peeps here -

Would you buy another VW?

Same question for the TDI & DSG people.

Yes.

I think VW still makes a driver’s car and not just an appliance, something that there seems to be less and less of every year. Also I wanted something that was a hatch/wagon, somewhat powerful yet good on gas and still very fun to drive. Doesn’t leave many choices out there.

I won’t lie, I was one of those “don’t get a VW” people because of the problems I have heard/read about in the past. After doing more reading it seems that the MKV’s were doing very well so I went for a test drive. I was hooked from the start and then had to sell it to my partner. Well, once she got into those heated leather sport seats, it was game over for us.

As to the DSG I’m a big fan of it. My partner doesn’t drive a manual but I do, so this is the best compromise out there right now. She leaves it in D (for dull) and I actually use the paddles 90% of the time. Does it have some flaws, sure but the pros easily outweigh the cons for me.

I think VWs are for someone that wants a little more from their car. After 1 year and 25,000kms....still have a smile on my face.

NOTE: If my partner could drive manual, we might have ended up in a WRX.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 12, 2010, 04:55:14 pm »
^^What's your avg. fuel economy?

SJP

« Reply #43 on: May 12, 2010, 05:00:12 pm »
Asking most VW owners if they would buy again is even sillier than asking a Toyota or Honda owner. They are a very loyal group, sometimes with, sometimes without reason. I have VW friends who love their cars, and even swear by how reliable they are, even while trim pieces are falling off, and things are breaking. I had a friend tell me how great his was and how it always worked so well.  except for this, this this and this........

I have never figured out how VW can make cars feel like they are carved from a block of granite, but the pieces attached are so fragile. Hondas seem to be more delicate, but seem to hold up better. Just my observations over the last 30 years of driving. I have really liked the various VW's friends have owned, and can appreciate why owners enjoy them, but they all came with HUGE maintenance headaches.

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +391/-634
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Rock'n Rolla Nightstalker
« Reply #44 on: May 12, 2010, 05:09:48 pm »
^^What's your avg. fuel economy?

All taken from the trip computer which seems pretty close when I do check.

Hwy (>120+kph) = 8 - 9L/100
Hwy (<120kph) = 7 - 8L/100 (can go sub 7L/100 if speed stays under 100kph but what fun is that)
City = 9 - 10L/100 (we don't drive much in the city + many hard throttles)

For winter just add 1L/100.

I think my best tank is around 6.7L/100 w/cruise on coming back from Tobermory just taking my time.

SJP

« Reply #45 on: May 12, 2010, 05:44:13 pm »
  I don't know much about the newer 5cyl VW's but the diesel was not a premium motor before, it was the only decent 4 cyl available in the Jetta/Golf, the previous 4 cyl gas engines were dinosaurs. Even if the 5 cylinder is good, the diesel is really the way to go with these cars, but it is not for economical reasons, it just suits the cars personality and works well. I would be interested to see what would happen if the price came down, and the vehicle was offered ONLY with the diesel. Could those now buying the gas be convinced to get the diesel if the price was more competitive?

vdk

« Reply #46 on: May 12, 2010, 05:57:30 pm »
  I don't know much about the newer 5cyl VW's but the diesel was not a premium motor before, it was the only decent 4 cyl available in the Jetta/Golf, the previous 4 cyl gas engines were dinosaurs. Even if the 5 cylinder is good, the diesel is really the way to go with these cars, but it is not for economical reasons, it just suits the cars personality and works well. I would be interested to see what would happen if the price came down, and the vehicle was offered ONLY with the diesel. Could those now buying the gas be convinced to get the diesel if the price was more competitive?

I would've gotten the diesel if they had one when I bought my Rabbit. Chip it and you're at 170hp same as the 2.5 I5 and in the low 5s on the highway.

Offline Wheelboy

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +1/-1
  • Can party with the best.
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2013 Mercedes-Benz C-350
« Reply #47 on: May 12, 2010, 06:03:10 pm »
Chip it and you're at 170hp.

Wouldn't that void warranty?
Dopelar Effect - "The tendency of stupid people to seem smarter when they come at you rapidly."

SJP

« Reply #48 on: May 12, 2010, 06:11:09 pm »
"I would've gotten the diesel if they had one when I bought my Rabbit"

Good to know, I suspect a lot of VW owners would do the same, I think they used to sell half or better as diesels. Part of that was the poor gas option(previous 4cyl) but i suspect part of it is the VW image. Diesel has never been the bad alternative in a VW.

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +298/-675
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Taos
« Reply #49 on: May 12, 2010, 06:25:44 pm »
Questions for you VW peeps here -

Would you buy another VW?

Same question for the TDI & DSG people.

Would you do it again?  Feel free to share your reasons why or why not.  I want a new car and I've considered everything from a Civic to a MB C-class.  And for some unknown reason I keep coming back to lusting for a Jetta TDI.  Why, I dunno.  Maybe I'm nuts.  I'm certainly confused.    :fall:

:popcorn:
Yes. This is my fourth VW product:   1987 GTi twincam  excellent, 1995 Golf GTI 8v Boring,  2000 Audi A4 fun with a chip
2008 GTI  fun.     The Golf just fits me although I found the A4 too small inside.

DSG  I don't know.   I like it and it is restful. I find I rarely use the manumatic except to change down to be in the right gear to accel out of corners or occasionally to change down to pass.  I may well save the $1400 next time.

TDI.  I spent 16 summers driving assorted small diesels in France on vacation and I LIKE the diesel driving experience. Now I am retired and no longer commute I care little about the amount of fuel I use  so I am undecided.   I buy my cars usually at the top of the range aka "loaded" so the price difference between a TDI and another GTI is minimal.  Maybe a 2.0T Passat is in my future...it will depend on what is the effect of these new fuel economy standards by 2012/13 on available engines.

I looked at the new M-B C class when I sold my BMW and really liked it although, like the A4 it felt small inside.
The most radical revolutionary will become a conservative the day after the revolution.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: May 12, 2010, 06:41:33 pm »

TDI.  I spent 16 summers driving assorted small diesels in France on vacation and I LIKE the diesel driving experience. 

Were opposites...though I REALLY like the idea of a diesel,  especially the torque and economy.  I just don't like the driving experience.  With the low redline, I feel as though I'm shortshifting...and it's just not enjoyable to me.

diceman

« Reply #51 on: May 12, 2010, 06:42:02 pm »
"I don't thin I would be comparing a car whose trunk can hold 16 cubic feet with a civic or Mazda 3 , no matter how it's classed"

You're right, the Civic has a longer wheelbase, and is hundreds of pounds lighter, no one will ever cross shop them. Different size tires too.

The Civics trunk is 12 cu ft , big difference HUH. I figure with your 30 years of driving experience you would see that. :rofl:

diceman

« Reply #52 on: May 12, 2010, 06:44:10 pm »

TDI.  I spent 16 summers driving assorted small diesels in France on vacation and I LIKE the diesel driving experience. 

Were opposites...though I REALLY like the idea of a diesel,  especially the torque and economy.  I just don't like the driving experience.  With the low redline, I feel as though I'm shortshifting...and it's just not enjoyable to me.
Yeah, an Echo must be soooo enjoyable. ::)

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: May 12, 2010, 06:53:32 pm »

The Echo is my winter/beater car, you tool.....LOL

Newbs.....sigh....

vdk

« Reply #54 on: May 12, 2010, 06:56:23 pm »

If you're on good terms with the dealer, no. Most/Some dealers look the other way. It's just a chip at the end of the day.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: May 12, 2010, 06:57:27 pm »

If you're on good terms with the dealer, no. Most/Some dealers look the other way. It's just a chip at the end of the day.

I think most are good if you use a quality company like APR.  They might not be as happy with some E-bay special....

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +298/-675
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Taos
« Reply #56 on: May 12, 2010, 07:41:06 pm »
With an APR chip ( Its just a flash update nowadays) you can turn it off before going to the dealer.  Quick flick of the cruise control switches.

FWIW APR don't do any ECU stuff for diesels.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2010, 07:42:47 pm by tpl »

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: May 12, 2010, 08:04:24 pm »
With an APR chip ( Its just a flash update nowadays) you can turn it off before going to the dealer.  Quick flick of the cruise control switches.

FWIW APR don't do any ECU stuff for diesels.

Oh..the used to.  I remember seeing their APR Europe page and they did diesels...

SJP

« Reply #58 on: May 12, 2010, 08:07:23 pm »
"The Civics trunk is 12 cu ft , big difference HUH. I figure with your 30 years of driving experience you would see that"

Yes, I do see that, so what's your point? Are you saying no one will cross shop between the Civic and Jetta/Golf?  In any given car class there can be a pretty good difference in dimensions, and some are more important than others. A tall driver  might look for a little more leg room, and be willing to sacrifice a bit of trunk size. If cargo space is all that matters then just by a consumer report magazine, look up the trunk size and go buy the biggest one. The Civic has an inch more front leg room, so I guess it must be better right? Comparing two vehicles is more than simply picking one statistic and making a decision.

diceman

« Reply #59 on: May 12, 2010, 08:27:02 pm »

The Echo is my winter/beater car, you tool.....LOL

Newbs.....sigh....

LOL, no matter. One toyota is like another. You just go from dishwasher to an oven.