Author Topic: Long-term test: 2010 Volkswagen Jetta TDI, wrap-up  (Read 31238 times)

Offline Autos_Editor

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +91/-560
    • View Profile
Long-term test: 2010 Volkswagen Jetta TDI, wrap-up
« on: May 11, 2010, 04:09:56 am »

More than four months and nearly 8,000 kilometres behind the wheel of Volkswagen's diesel-powered Jetta TDI sedan has given us an excellent perspective of this car's strong points and weaknesses, says Contributing Editor, Chris Chase.

Read More...

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +298/-675
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Taos
Re: Long-term test: 2010 Volkswagen Jetta TDI, wrap-up
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2010, 06:01:56 am »
There’s also the issue of long-term reliability: my experience in reviewing used cars with the DSG suggests that its complicated nature makes it problem-prone (though not so much that I’d recommend against it outright), something that would also likely make for expensive repairs after the warranty expires.
The warranty on some DSGs on some cars has been extended to 10 years. I know of this on 2 2.0T 2008s including mine. I have no idea if this may apply to  TDIs or to any year other than 2008.

Is the DSG really much more complex than a modern slushbox I wonder.
The most radical revolutionary will become a conservative the day after the revolution.

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +391/-634
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Rock'n Rolla Nightstalker
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2010, 06:39:24 am »
There’s also the issue of long-term reliability: my experience in reviewing used cars with the DSG suggests that its complicated nature makes it problem-prone (though not so much that I’d recommend against it outright), something that would also likely make for expensive repairs after the warranty expires.
The warranty on some DSGs on some cars has been extended to 10 years. I know of this on 2 2.0T 2008s including mine. I have no idea if this may apply to  TDIs or to any year other than 2008.

I have no idea if this may apply to  TDIs or to any year other than 2008.

Mine is a 2009 and I also received the extended warranty.

Offline sailor723

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +417/-1000
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '17 BMW X5 Xdrive35i, '11 BMW 328iXdrive,
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2010, 06:49:43 am »
Are the Jetta's still built in Germany? I ask because of the reviewer's comments on VW's high pricing. With the Euro down nearly 20% in the last year or so maybe it's time for VW to consider a "currency rebate"
Old Jag convertible...one itch I won't have to scratch again.

Offline inco

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +29/-32
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Forester
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2010, 07:52:23 am »
AFAIK they all come from Puebla, Mexico. Once upon a time the TDI came from Germany and I think the GTI did too, but nowdays they all hail from Mexico.

Offline kard00d

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +3/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2010, 08:46:08 am »

I have no idea if this may apply to  TDIs or to any year other than 2008.

Mine is a 2009 and I also received the extended warranty.

Ditto.  09 TDI, 10 year (180,000 km?) on the DSG...

Not sure if that's good or bad!

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2010, 08:59:53 am »
I think it is good.  Also if one has one of the DSGs that fails the test that VW supposedly are going to do on them all the spring, you'll get a new** one anyway. 

**I presume that the failing ones will be rebuilt somewhere.

Canada Stig

« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2010, 09:01:37 am »
Your comment on fuel economy in the real world vs transport Canada is interesting.  Your numbers are almost bang on with the EPA figures in the US (using the new cycle).  When will Transport Canada start using the revised US procedures to give an accurate view of real world fuel consumption?

Nice car, and I think the Diesel is a better option than a hybrid in virtualy all circumstances if you are looking for maximum MPG.  But dealing with VW is a deal breaker for me, and yes, these things are EXPENSIVE!  Will you ever make your money back on the TDI vs, say, a fully equipped Mazda 3?

Offline greengs

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +26/-57
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 BRZ
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2010, 09:02:09 am »
AFAIK they all come from Puebla, Mexico. Once upon a time the TDI came from Germany and I think the GTI did too, but nowdays they all hail from Mexico.

GTI and Golf come from Germany.  

Offline Bubba

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +382/-442
  • Vice President, Autos.ca Arizona Operations
    • View Profile
    • My photo site
  • Cars: 2013 Toyota Corolla LE
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2010, 10:35:07 am »

GTI and Golf come from Germany.  

If the VIN starts with a 3, the vehicle was built in Mexico, W for Germany.  The Jettas are coming from Puebla, Mexico as Inco stated.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2010, 10:39:03 am by Winklovic »
My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government. - Thomas Jefferson

gta_driver

« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2010, 10:37:14 am »
My neighbour has one. He's now had it for close to a year and has put on 35000km's. His complaints are the loud idle at start(especially loud in winter). The car sounds like a tractor, VW says its normal and the $300 +taxes oil change (just oil and filter-nothing else) every 15000 km's. Other then that he loves the car.

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +391/-634
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Rock'n Rolla Nightstalker
« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2010, 10:52:48 am »
the $300 +taxes oil change (just oil and filter-nothing else) every 15000 km's.

Seriously?

elcee

« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2010, 11:01:37 am »
I pay less than $100 for the same service from my local dealer and this with the required synthetic oil, factory filter and labor.

Anyone charging more is ripping you off and should be reported to VW Canada. I have emailed them on few occasions and always recieved a reply.
Toyota never reply to any of my enquiries.

Dealer that abuse should be reported. Do not let these guys get away with it.

Offline kard00d

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +3/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2010, 12:36:21 pm »
My neighbour has one. He's now had it for close to a year and has put on 35000km's. His complaints are the loud idle at start(especially loud in winter). The car sounds like a tractor, VW says its normal and the $300 +taxes oil change (just oil and filter-nothing else) every 15000 km's. Other then that he loves the car.

Who gives a poo about idling anyways!  ;)

Got 10K on mine and can't say the idle is loud, at least not for a diesel.   You can't tell when sitting inside of it, as the thing is pretty well insulated.  Step out of the car to scrape or something and you realize there's a muffled diesel under the hood.   But only picky car people would (care) to notice the difference.

Bottom line it's a nice car.  The diesel part is a bit of a wash financially I think, and marginally better ecologically (unless diesel is not considered that clean).   But you do get a fun to drive German  sedan that's practical, simply styled and finished and holds its value pretty well.

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 11, 2010, 12:40:26 pm »
The gas engined car oil change at the dealer is about $100 +tax.

If the 2009/2010 TDI uses the same synthetic oil as would have to go into a Toureg TDI ( or the Jeep diesel or a Bluetec M-B) then I would expect it cost quite a bit more.     VW 504/507 spec oil is correct I believe  Castrol SLX Professional LL03 is one that is sold here

SJP

« Reply #15 on: May 11, 2010, 01:18:47 pm »
With the price of maintenance, the fuel savings is indeed negated. Buy one if you really like them, but for less money, I will take a nice Honda Civic thank you, or if reliability is less of a concern, I would get a Mazda 3, and save some $$$ up front. I know too many people with the previous Jetta diesels, and I don't trust that the headaches are gone in the newest model.

gta_driver

« Reply #16 on: May 11, 2010, 01:36:41 pm »
I didn't believe my neigbour when he told me about the $300 dollar oil change so he showed me the invoice. Apparently the car uses a special grade of synthetic oil currently only available in Europe. The oil filter itself is $75 and currently only available via VW.

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 11, 2010, 01:49:46 pm »
I didn't believe my neighbour when he told me about the $300 dollar oil change so he showed me the invoice. Apparently the car uses a special grade of synthetic oil currently only available in Europe. The oil filter itself is $75 and currently only available via VW.

An equivalent oil can be found at Chrysler dealers I believe.   The only "special " thing about it is that it does not damage the latest technology of Diesel emissions gear. Apart from that it is a full synthetic rated for long oil change intervals ( like 20-30,000 kms)

Mobil 1 ESP 5w-30   meets VW 507   ( which is the specification required)
Castrol SLX Pro LL03 504/507
ELF Solaris LLX 5w-30                supposedly available in the USA
VW's own 507 spec oil  which some web sites say is the Castrol one

JHEvans

« Reply #18 on: May 11, 2010, 02:42:43 pm »
I was surprised to read your comment about not being able to start the vehicle in 2nd gear... I on my 2nd vehicle with the same combination of DSG and TDI engine (Passat wagon and Touran MPV while living here in Europe) and in both vehicles, you can easily move the gear shift to the "sport" mode and manually shift to 2nd.  My experience with the DSG is not favorable... maybe better if I was driving a sports car, but for an everyday vehicle, the low speed characteristics are horrible and would definately sway me away from buying one.

Offline Wheelboy

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +1/-1
  • Can party with the best.
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2013 Mercedes-Benz C-350
« Reply #19 on: May 11, 2010, 04:18:38 pm »
This is the car I want to like.  I think diesel is the way to go compared to any other current "green" technology but VW does its best to stop me buying one -

• DSG transmission - outrageous cost for the maintenance oil change (a few hundred
    dollars), strange driving characteristics (noted already in this thread), failure potential (read the VW forums!).  I'd have a stickshift but my wife (who can drive a stickshift) doesn't want one.
  • No rear armrest unless I buy the leather interior model (no different than Corolla anyway).  Cummon - throw in a $5 armrest fer gawd's sake.
  • Extra cost ($450?) for ESC.
  • Shady dealership network (read the VW forums!) that I've experienced already before I part with my money.
  • Color selection.  What a dowdy bunch of colors.  What happened to the nice red they had in recent years?

Jetta TDI - I'm trying really hard to love you.
Dopelar Effect - "The tendency of stupid people to seem smarter when they come at you rapidly."