Author Topic: Test Drive: 2010 Land Rover LR4  (Read 10448 times)

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +117/-442
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Land Rover LR4, Honda Ridgeline, Husqvarna FE501
Re: Test Drive: 2010 Land Rover LR4
« Reply #20 on: May 11, 2010, 01:40:42 pm »

With that tall greenhouse, did you ever feel that it was top-heavy on the road? That is what comes across to me when I'm following one of these on the highway, it looks like the same proportions of width-to-height as those old Suzuki's that used to catch a summer breeze and flip over, albeit the LR is on a much grander scale. Again, I don't know if any of this is true, just an outward impression.

Doesn't feel as tippy as it looks. The combo of air springs and good shock valving actually give a secure feeling in corners. When starting a curve the truck leans a bit then it takes a nice set. It never feels insecure. even in heavy cross-winds it tracks well. You have to remember this thing wieghs a ton (multiple tons). Reviewers always knock the LR3s lumbering feeling. It has slow ratio steering and it weighs lots. IMO the slow steering is perfectly matched to the mass of the vehicle. Some big vehicles use heavy boosted  and quick steering ratios to give a big vehicle a sense of being "nimble". This is really just smoke and mirrors because it leads the driver into writing cheques with steering inputs that the rest of the chassis can't cash. The new generation Pathfinder is like this, light steering. One of my biggest pet peeves is quick ratio steering in big trucks and SUVS...