Author Topic: Used Vehicle Review: Mercedes-Benz CLK-Class, 2003-2009  (Read 7752 times)

Offline Autos_Editor

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +91/-560
    • View Profile
Used Vehicle Review: Mercedes-Benz CLK-Class, 2003-2009
« on: May 06, 2010, 04:06:32 am »

"There's no doubt that the CLK is a lovely car: it looks expensive and is a nice driver, but its typical Mercedes reliability concerns are a turn-off, though, particularly in out-of-warranty models," says Contributing Editor, Chris Chase.

Read More...

Griff

Re: Used Vehicle Review: Mercedes-Benz CLK-Class, 2003-2009
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2010, 09:59:09 am »
An accurate review- it takes a brave, masochistic person to own one of these hyper-complicated machines out of warranty.  :o

new age group

« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2010, 11:35:32 am »
all the leaking etc...... makes me laugh.

How can an auto manufacture company that has been producing vehicle for more than 100 years still building vehicles that leaks coolant to the transmission (when the vehicle is only a few years old, within the warranty period)

Why not MB focus on the basic quality, build a car that will last for a longer time ( let says 10 years) without any obvious trouble, I am petty sure they can sell a lot more if their quality is on par with Honda, if they cannot even build a proper cooling system, who cares if it has 400+ hp ....

gut

« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2010, 01:22:17 pm »
I drive 2007 CLK350 convertible for 3 years now. Driven 36k, with 14 lit/100km avg. (slow city 25% - fast city 50% - fast hway 25%) and no issues whatsoever. No coolant, oil or any other leaks, no service visits except for the regular ones (oil changes). My neighbour is driving 2002 CLK320 convertible for years now with the similar experience. I know it is too small for a reliable sample - 2 cars only, but these two I know about in detail.

In my opinion the used car report compiled from internet forums (like this one) is not a particularly good source of information as generalizations are not quite applicable to any particular car. Of course, you get the idea what to look for and where to pay attention when shopping for the used car, but it actually makes a diversion into buyers ability to find out what is wrong with the specific car (s)he are looking at the moment. Maybe the contacts with an array of independent service shops would help in better and more useful used car reviews...

The report as this one is good for the future owners and bad for the existing owners as it will help in reducing the prices. I personally don't care about that as mine is a lease and will be returned in a couple of weeks and exchanged for the new E klasse convertible ;D

If anybody looks for an excellent 350 convertible - call me ;) it will be available very soon. But the price will be nowhere near the ones published in this article. I believe that in this condition (as new - literally) it will go in upper $40k's.

Offline MMMB89

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +0/-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2010, 03:11:56 pm »
Typical Mercedes reliability? Mercedes is the best of the German brands when it comes to reliability let me assure you.

I know my Merc is one of the older ones which are basically bulletproof and it has less electronic devices that could go wrong, but in general if you want a German car, a MB is the best route to go.  If you look at used BMWs, Audis and VWs from any era, like I did when I was buying my car, MBs hold up far better.

Still, a lot of the early 2000s MBs were not as reliable as other years - especially since those vehicles introduced a lot of complex high tech features (i.e. Distronic, Airmatic, Active Body Control) all things which are obviously costly if they go.  However, in the CLK's case with the radiator for example, like Chris said, most have been fixed now that it should be a non-issue for a used car buyer.

Anyway, from having spent a lot of time looking at pre-owend cars in person and via research over the years, if you want a pre-owned German car, a Mercedes-Benz is always the best route to go.

Offline Winterpeg

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +8/-10
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '07 Chev Malibu LT V6
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2010, 04:54:01 pm »
An accurate review- it takes a brave, masochistic person to own one of these hyper-complicated machines out of warranty.  :o

............and a fist full of $$$$$$$$$$$$$$ 's.       :(
Have Car......Will Travel

TG

« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2010, 05:46:52 pm »
Typical Mercedes reliability? Mercedes is the best of the German brands when it comes to reliability let me assure you.

that was true untill mid 2000s, also don't forget inferior paint job. Google mercedes rust issues. I had rust on E, S class and ML, leven look at Sprinter vans - they are rust buckets.
It's true that older Mercedes are DIY friendly and parts are not that expensive if you know where to buy, but if you don't like seeing rust after 3-4 yrs get yourself VAG or swdish product.

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +758/-938
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2010, 07:08:04 pm »
No defending Mercedes from me.  I was a diehard MB owner, having had the following:

1987 190E 2.3
1987 190E 2.3-16V
1988 190E 2.3
1990 190E 2.6
1995 C36 AMG
1998 E300td
1998 C230

And logged over 1,000,000km on them.

Even the older MB's had issues, but not major mechanical ones.  On the rare occasion (OM606 engine, one example) they would, MB stood behind them.  Many of those six-pot diesels were replaced by Mercedes long after the warranty ran out.

Then came Lexus.  Mercedes didn't take it seriously at first, but then began to lose market share.  Mercedes could not figure out how to build a car to the Lexus price point without cutting corners.  They couldn't add the gadgets Lexus had without installing poor electronics.

By the late 90's, the thick sheetmetal was being phased out.  The super thick hides were no longer being used.  The paint had become environmentally friendly, and thin and easily chipped.  The electronic systems in the cars were overly complex and unreliable.  My 1998 C230 was among the last of the "simple, robust" Mercedes models.  The M112 V-6 engine had rivets in some spots instead of robust bolts, pointing to a new idea of "don't fix, throw away" at Mercedes.  For shame.

To Mercedes' credit, they didn't understand the new luxury car buyer.  Once upon a time, someone paying $40K or more for a car wanted a keeper.  They wanted it to last a long time.  By the late 90's, everyone was leasing, and didn't give a rat's ass about longevity, and weren't willing to pay extra for it.  They were just getting a new one in three years anyway, so who cares?

Two years ago I sold the 98 C230.  It had been an excellent car, providing reliable service and enjoyable driving.  However, Mercedes' reputation had been sullied, and it would take a lot for me to go back.

Offline Gardiner Westbound

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +22/-32
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2010, 10:04:05 pm »
Ach du freakin' lieber himmel.

Always wanted a Mercedes. Visited the showroom and dealt with a super snotty salesmen, looked at them, read Consumer Reports, read the owner forums, and bought Japanese.

No regrets!
"When you invent a better mousetrap the mice tend to get smarter." - Willie Gingrich

Offline robsaw

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +12/-2
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2010, 11:09:03 pm »
Mercedes have definitely slipped in quality in the last few years, although they're ratings have improved since 2007.  I mean, they're building stuff in ALABAMA, mostly because it is closer to the market, but in the past the risk to quality wouldn't have allowed it.

Also, taking a scan through internet forums dedicated to particular brands IS a reliable, if somewhat relative, means of assessing a vehicle for issues.  The repeat problems are apparent.

Offline MMMB89

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +0/-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2010, 12:26:54 am »

Then came Lexus.  Mercedes didn't take it seriously at first, but then began to lose market share.  Mercedes could not figure out how to build a car to the Lexus price point without cutting corners.  They couldn't add the gadgets Lexus had without installing poor electronics.

That was definitely the main reason for sure.  Still, even today you look at the style and quality of the S-Class versus the LS and the Mercedes puts the Lexus to shame.  Plus, there's not really any price gap anymore between the two like there was back in the 90s.

We all know that every car company has had their share of problems over the years in one form or another, no car is 100% perfect.  And even though I've owned and leased cars (new and used) from companies like Ford, GM, Honda and currently Mercedes, I, like many other people, have a love for German cars.  When I was looking at used cars from Germany ranging from the 1990s to the early 2000s, it was brutally obvious which cars held up better over the years compared to others.  The VWs looked and felt weak and tired; the BMWs quite often had an electrical issue, the seats were worn (a common BMW problem), and a couple trim pieces or buttons would be broken (and these were less than 10 years old); the Audis would look good usually, however they would have a costly electrical or mechanical issue and the MBs would almost always be in good condition with no significant wear and tear for their age.

That's why, if I was buying a used German car, I wouldn't hesitate to go for a MB (that was well maintained of course).  German cars are costlier to maintain, however their material quality, engineering, safety and driving dynamics make it worthwhile.

Offline 2JDM

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +119/-141
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2010, 12:34:23 am »
Friend has a 2005 CLK500. He bought it last year, and hasn't had any problems with it so far...The thing is smooth and accelerates like a rocket.

Canada Stig

« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2010, 02:37:06 pm »
3 years in and my B Class Merc has been dead reliable - no, and I mean no, issues (knock wood as I may have just cursed it).  This being compared to my 3 year old Odyssey that has had transmission issues, torque converter vibrations, power steering failure...among countless little squeaks, rattles and rolls.  I may have a different viewpoint if I had a 2000 or 2001 MB, but my 07 is a well made car.

Offline mmret

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +240/-570
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 10, 2010, 08:27:26 pm »
Always liked the looks (in person, not so much in photos) of the CLK coupe. Really elegant car.

Can't really compete with the new E350/550 Coupe but as far as a used buy, not bad imho.
You can't just have your characters announce how they feel.
That makes me feel angry!

Present: 15.5 V60 T6 + Polestar, 17 MDX
Sometimes Borrow: 11 GLK350
Dark and Twisted Past: 13 TL AWD, 07 Z4 3.0si, 07 CLK550, 06 TSX, 07 Civic, 01 Grandma!