Author Topic: New Buick compact sedan revealed  (Read 8803 times)

Mitlov

New Buick compact sedan revealed
« on: May 04, 2010, 05:26:57 pm »
...at least a line drawing of it filed as part of a patent application.

http://www.autoblog.com/2010/05/04/patent-filing-shows-u-s-2012-buick-excelle-com/

It basically appears to be an Opel Astra with a Buick grille and a trunk:

...so hopefully it will have an Opel interior:

Powertrains are reported to be a 140-hp 1.4L turbo four and a 180-horsepower 1.6L turbo four.

Looks to me to be a nice option that'll be competing with the Acura CSX, the Volvo S40 (if they ever refresh that long-in-the-tooth compact), and maybe the Audi A3 2.0T.

Offline TopGun

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +43/-165
  • Carbon fibre > Soft touch dash material
    • View Profile
Re: New Buick compact sedan revealed
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2010, 05:43:16 pm »
Slimming down the model lines does make it easier to make these kinds of decisions doesn't it.

So Buick will have this Excelle, Regal, LaCrosse, Enclave...that's a nice line-up.

Do you see the Cruze being too close to the Excelle?

Offline whistler

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +1/-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2010, 06:20:15 pm »
Line drawing? Real uncovered pics of this car have been available for a month now.

Looks pretty good. Apparently the name chosen for North America is "Verano" which sounds like a cheesy coffee machine from Sears.

« Last Edit: May 04, 2010, 06:22:50 pm by whistler »

Mitlov

« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2010, 07:15:09 pm »
Real pics of the Chinese-market model have been available (though I couldn't find them when I made my post), but this is the first pic of the North American model.  We didn't know until now that we'd get the same thing that China gets (China has, historically, gotten better Buicks than we do).

Thanks for finding the Excelle pics, by the way.  I do prefer the name Excelle over Verano.

Offline footlong58

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +12/-3
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2007 Toyota Yaris, 2014 Chevrolet Trax, 2008 Buell, 2005 Yamaha V Star
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2010, 11:07:36 am »
I wonder... If this Buick way of thinking is to possible shore up sales in the Buikc/GMC dealers.  After all, Pontiac would have been the volume seller at the Buick dealerships, and now that Pontiac is long gone, Buick is trying to introduce some lower priced and smaller sized vehicles?

Offline TopGun

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +43/-165
  • Carbon fibre > Soft touch dash material
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2010, 11:39:59 am »
I wonder... If this Buick way of thinking is to possible shore up sales in the Buikc/GMC dealers.  After all, Pontiac would have been the volume seller at the Buick dealerships, and now that Pontiac is long gone, Buick is trying to introduce some lower priced and smaller sized vehicles?

The previous Pontiac/Buick/Caddy/GMC store in Burlington now includes Chevy.  I don't know how many are moving that way, although I've seen a few.

Mitlov

« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2010, 11:46:35 am »
Looking again at that Buick Excelle, if ever a car needed a chrome window surround, this is it.  Add that and drop the spoiler and you'd have a nice upscale-looking C-segment car.

That might be part of it.  I think another big part of it is that they're trying to attack the mass-market audience from two angles.  Chevy seems to me to be aimed at your typical buyer of mass-market cars: someone who wants some simple, practical transportation at a good price with good fuel economy numbers, etc.  Buick seems to be targeting your typical VW owner, lower-end Acura-owner, higher-end Mazda owner, etc: someone who is willing to pay a bit extra for subjective virtues, like interior materials, sound deadening, and suspension tuning.

Offline Dante

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +33/-97
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 VW GTI DSG, 2011 BMW 328i xDrive 6MT, 2007 Mitsubishi Outlander
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2010, 12:01:47 pm »
The finish on the center floor console in the Opel is nicer (covered cup holders and e-brake vs two holes and a lever), but maybe it will change on the US models.
The headlights are different too with my preference going to the Opel again.
That ugly rear wing has no business on that car though (Chinese Buick) and some excess chrome should be removed too....

diceman

« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2010, 04:38:57 pm »
Another hit from GM. All is right in the world today.

diceman

« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2010, 04:40:39 pm »
Compare the interiors to those posted in the 9th gen Civic thread. LOL, the Buick has just decimated that class.

Offline Black Hatch

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +36/-42
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 CX-5GT w/Tech
« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2010, 08:53:05 pm »
Compare the interiors to those posted in the 9th gen Civic thread. LOL, the Buick has just decimated that class.
Doubt it. Too many buttons.

Offline Ice

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +15/-25
  • 2009 Corolla XRS
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2010, 09:13:30 am »
Shocking to say but GM appears to have their interior quality and aesthetics levels up to the "import" brands level now.  Good to see.  A few years ago the interiors were laughable.  One thing to keep in mind RE: the Civic thread.  The Civic is a car that starts around 15k Canadian.  This will probably be somewhere over 20K (I would expect 23K and up).  Also the Civic came out late in 2005... so times move on.

Offline Loudpedal

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +6/-6
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '08 Acura TL '08 Honda Odyssey
« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2010, 09:32:37 am »
Looking again at that Buick Excelle, if ever a car needed a chrome window surround, this is it.  Add that and drop the spoiler and you'd have a nice upscale-looking C-segment car.

That might be part of it.  I think another big part of it is that they're trying to attack the mass-market audience from two angles.  Chevy seems to me to be aimed at your typical buyer of mass-market cars: someone who wants some simple, practical transportation at a good price with good fuel economy numbers, etc.  Buick seems to be targeting your typical VW owner, lower-end Acura-owner, higher-end Mazda owner, etc: someone who is willing to pay a bit extra for subjective virtues, like interior materials, sound deadening, and suspension tuning.

I'm not a huge fan of chrome window surround, but I totally agree with you on this one.   

3 things that confound me about Buick:

1) Why is Buick so popular in China?
2) Who is supposed to be Buick's target market in NAmerica?
3) Does anyone really like the Buick badge?
Internal combustion thrust I trust

Offline Ice

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +15/-25
  • 2009 Corolla XRS
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 08, 2010, 09:40:47 am »

I'm not a huge fan of chrome window surround, but I totally agree with you on this one.   

I asked my co-worker (who recently moved from China to Canada) about this.  He told me that in China for a long time the local car makers weren't very good (and they are still playing a huge amount of catchup right now) so import brands were considered valuable.  BMW, Volkswagen and Buick seem to be considered popular and worthy cars there.

There is a combination of differing expectations and standards as well as a different lineup compared to the North American cars.  I guess the idea of a big car was very popular in some quarters of China and Buick had big cars.  Another factor is that there is still considerable animosity towards Japan in China despite 60 years of peace so the Japanese brands have had a hard time making inroads while the American brands did not have such problems.

What's interesting is that GM Shanghai is now seemingly taking the lead on the Buick brand and the lead is translating into good cars in both China and in the US with Opel making up the other piece of the puzzle.

As for target market... I think they want to target someone like myself.  Someone who is younger, still has disposable income, and is probably a working professional of some kind (I'm almost there I think).  That said, most of the new Allure's that I've seen on the road were still driven by older folks but the move to smaller cars will attract my interests.

Offline Weels

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +253/-259
  • This is my happy face
    • View Profile
  • Cars: The 5's: 2023 Mazda CX-5, 2016 Mazda MX-5
« Reply #14 on: May 08, 2010, 11:07:42 am »
They should be targeting 30-45 age group with somewhat above avg incomes... those driving TL's, TSX's, top line Mazda 6's, Accords.. etc... they should certainly steal some sales from Acura at least...

Looks like they're going down the right path - i want to check out the Regal GS, and even this Excelle/Verano.  The Regal will certainly be on the radar once i start seriously shopping.  Never said that about a Buick before, like many many others.
What would really get me to take the bait to come in and chat with a friendly Buick salesperson is to have a Regal parked in the lot next to some of its competition - allow you to really compare side by side.

diceman

« Reply #15 on: May 08, 2010, 03:51:32 pm »
Shocking to say but GM appears to have their interior quality and aesthetics levels up to the "import" brands level now.  Good to see.  A few years ago the interiors were laughable.  One thing to keep in mind RE: the Civic thread.  The Civic is a car that starts around 15k Canadian.  This will probably be somewhere over 20K (I would expect 23K and up).  Also the Civic came out late in 2005... so times move on.
We could compare the Buick to the Acura CSX, would be interesting to see how they compare.

Offline Loudpedal

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +6/-6
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '08 Acura TL '08 Honda Odyssey
« Reply #16 on: May 08, 2010, 11:34:01 pm »

I asked my co-worker (who recently moved from China to Canada) about this.  He told me that in China for a long time the local car makers weren't very good (and they are still playing a huge amount of catchup right now) so import brands were considered valuable.  BMW, Volkswagen and Buick seem to be considered popular and worthy cars there.

There is a combination of differing expectations and standards as well as a different lineup compared to the North American cars.  I guess the idea of a big car was very popular in some quarters of China and Buick had big cars.  Another factor is that there is still considerable animosity towards Japan in China despite 60 years of peace so the Japanese brands have had a hard time making inroads while the American brands did not have such problems.

What's interesting is that GM Shanghai is now seemingly taking the lead on the Buick brand and the lead is translating into good cars in both China and in the US with Opel making up the other piece of the puzzle.

As for target market... I think they want to target someone like myself.  Someone who is younger, still has disposable income, and is probably a working professional of some kind (I'm almost there I think).  That said, most of the new Allure's that I've seen on the road were still driven by older folks but the move to smaller cars will attract my interests.

Older folks is all I see driving the new Buicks as well.   It looks like their product is good, but I just can't get the image of grey heads driving Buicks.   I'd love to know what they've got planned to move the buyers age down a few decades. 

Offline Wolverine

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +2/-0
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Ford Focus sedan 2008 1.6 Flexfuel
« Reply #17 on: May 09, 2010, 07:03:39 pm »
Looks nice but hell, it has more buttons on the dash than a plane cockpit.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2010, 06:06:02 pm by Wolverine »
"If you wanna make the world a better place take a look at yourself and make a change."

CatsEye68

« Reply #18 on: May 16, 2010, 05:04:04 pm »

Agreed. In profile it looks almost Hyundai Elantra-ish. Needs some brightwork around the greenhouse. Otherwise not bad. Wonder if Buick can take the buzz out of those 4-bangers with Quiet Tuning?

Offline EV Dan

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +480/-383
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '21 Venzaurus
« Reply #19 on: May 16, 2010, 09:42:19 pm »
Looks nice but hell, it has more buttons on the dash than a plane cockpit.

And not one in English  :surrend: :banghead: :stfu: :drive2:
Give a man a fish, he eats for a day. Teach the man to fish and he wakes you up at 5 in the morning.