Author Topic: Test Drive: 2010 Chevrolet Equinox LT FWD  (Read 24411 times)

Offline drederick

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +0/-1
    • View Profile
Re: Test Drive: 2010 Chevrolet Equinox LT FWD
« Reply #40 on: May 05, 2010, 04:36:19 pm »
No one comes close to the 6.1 in real world testing.  GM optimized the engine/gearing for the TC FE cycle.

But, yeah, the economy is good for such a bloated POS, and I suppose even fatties might want to save a couple bucks on fuel.  Gm knows their customers can't fit in a Forester, so why even bother build it the same size?  No one would buy one!  Dad squeezes himself into his Silverado P/U and Mom, in her moo-moo, on the way to Wal-Mart to buy bulk boxes of frozen corn-dogs, can fit herself and her cubic brood into an Equinox.

They 'esplain that they "bought 'Mercian" instead of them furren brands, not knowing, of course, that many of the CUV's are made in Canada.

Midgets only fit in a Forester?  I guess if "midget" has been redefined as "healthy BMI."

Lets see 8.5l/100kms over the course of a week.... is just SOOOO far away from the combined FE of 7.8 l/100kms listed on GMs site. I feel DISGUSTED by this LOL

Looks like GM optimized the vehicle for FE in the real world and the TC FE cycle - especially compared to the recent Toyota vehicles tested here.

Is it ok for Toyota products tested on this site NOT to get their claimed FE numbers? artics unite! someone testing those Toyotas is part of the conspiracy!

P.S. that 'Subaru' your so proud of, well, it was built while GM had a 20 percent stake in the company LOL

Let me guess - you will now say that the Subaru is getting aweful FE - maybe even FE comparable to a current Toyota?
blah blah blah Toyota blah blah blah I feel your pain; you've got a GM, it's worth squat and you owe on it. 

Dude, if the displacment is EXACT, it's not "all new".  The intake is different, the VVT is now on both sets of valves  In the automotive world "all new" often means somewhat different

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +758/-938
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
« Reply #41 on: May 05, 2010, 04:40:15 pm »
GM had to sell their stake.  Didn't want to be associated with a car company consistently rated in the top three with respect to quality.  They also couldn't figure out how anyone actually got inside one.

GM exec:  "Too small, too light, and the AWD system works too well!  SELL!"

Offline drederick

• Enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 05, 2010, 04:43:51 pm »
GM had to sell their stake.  Didn't want to be associated with a car company consistently rated in the top three with respect to quality.  They also couldn't figure out how anyone actually got inside one.

GM exec:  "Too small, too light, and the AWD system works too well!  SELL!"

Sure......... of course......... did you come up with that all by yourself? I am impressed.

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
« Reply #43 on: May 05, 2010, 04:47:27 pm »
Sure......... of course......... did you come up with that all by yourself? I am impressed.

Your mom helped.

Offline drederick

• Enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 05, 2010, 04:52:06 pm »

Your mom helped.

Really? COOL! your the coolest artic now

articsteve look out - artic johnjenx is now the coolest artic ever!

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +310/-6812
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Hobby Car: 15 Mustang Vert, V6, manual, 3.55 lsd; 2024 MDX Aspec; 2022 F150 TREMOR lifted
« Reply #45 on: May 05, 2010, 04:56:58 pm »
The 2.4 in the Equinox is a ward's 10 best engine because...... it is crappy? why didn't the 'technical superiority' of the Toyota engine not just put it on Wards best engine list, but actually be listed 10 times and be the ONLY engine listed?

The "NorthStar" made the list as well and it was pure junk.  Took them about 6 years to fix the piston/ring blow by issue and make it manageably reliable and the most expensive domestic motor to facilitate routine repairs.  Look a resale values; NIL

GM has a graft for everything.  PLEASE,  "Just the facts mam"  900 rpm higher for same power.  That's BUSH league.  Buyer beware friends, buyer beware.

Offline drederick

• Enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: May 05, 2010, 05:04:25 pm »
The 2.4 in the Equinox is a ward's 10 best engine because...... it is crappy? why didn't the 'technical superiority' of the Toyota engine not just put it on Wards best engine list, but actually be listed 10 times and be the ONLY engine listed?

The "NorthStar" made the list as well and it was pure junk.  Took them about 6 years to fix the piston/ring blow by issue and make it manageably reliable and the most expensive domestic motor to facilitate routine repairs.  Look a resale values; NIL

GM has a graft for everything.  "Just the facts mam"  900 rpm higher for same power.  That's BUSH league.  Buyer beware friends, buyer beware.

"Just the facts mam" 900 RPM for same power...... we KNOW what the Equinox 2.4 does thru the entire rpm range, what about the Toyota? you can't say with any certainty that the torque looks as flat as the equinox 2.4 now can you? maybe the Toyota is designed simply with that 'torque' peak in mind and makes nothing before 4000rpm making a it an inferior design and one that shouldn't be on the Wards list

I love the artic logic: peak numbers = the whole story

Offline Erik

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +60/-374
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2000 Honda Insight
« Reply #47 on: May 05, 2010, 05:15:39 pm »
No one comes close to the 6.1 in real world testing.  GM optimized the engine/gearing for the TC FE cycle.

But, yeah, the economy is good for such a bloated POS, and I suppose even fatties might want to save a couple bucks on fuel.  Gm knows their customers can't fit in a Forester, so why even bother build it the same size?  No one would buy one!  Dad squeezes himself into his Silverado P/U and Mom, in her moo-moo, on the way to Wal-Mart to buy bulk boxes of frozen corn-dogs, can fit herself and her cubic brood into an Equinox.

They 'esplain that they "bought 'Mercian" instead of them furren brands, not knowing, of course, that many of the CUV's are made in Canada.

Midgets only fit in a Forester?  I guess if "midget" has been redefined as "healthy BMI."

Wow.
That is a pretty amazingly offensive post. You gonna start poking fun at racial groups next? How about sexual orientation? Disabilities? All good for a laugh, right?
"The car is the closest thing we will ever create to something that is alive." - Sir William Lyons

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Hobby Car: 15 Mustang Vert, V6, manual, 3.55 lsd; 2024 MDX Aspec; 2022 F150 TREMOR lifted
« Reply #48 on: May 05, 2010, 05:19:58 pm »
"Just the facts mam" 900 RPM for same power

I believe you omitted the word "higher" just after RPM   :)

This sums it up on the motor:

My only complaint power-wise is that it makes its power high in the rev range, which is fine until you pack four adults inside, at which point you immediately notice how much harder the engine has to work to get the Equinox up to speed. As it is, this four-cylinder doesn’t seem to mind reaching for high revs, and it sounds decent when pressed, but the amount of engine noise that makes it inside reminds you that this is no luxury vehicle.

PPL, buy the V6.

Leviathan

« Reply #49 on: May 05, 2010, 05:23:16 pm »
Wow - this thread sure turned to :censor: right about here. Stop the troll and the rest takes care of itself...

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: May 05, 2010, 05:33:18 pm »
That is a pretty amazingly offensive post. You gonna start poking fun at racial groups next? How about sexual orientation? Disabilities? All good for a laugh, right?

Race - beyond your control
Sexual orientation - beyond your control
Disabilities - beyond your control

Think about it.

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: May 05, 2010, 05:34:40 pm »
Wow - this thread sure turned to :censor: right about here. Stop the troll and the rest takes care of itself...

You have that right!

:notroll:

Leviathan

« Reply #52 on: May 05, 2010, 05:34:48 pm »
the Equinox managed 10.5 in almost all city driving, and returned 7.3 L/100 km on a 450 km drive from Quebec City to Ottawa

The all city isn't bad but the 7.3 is good (yes, no where near 6.1 TC rates it at). Best I've done is 8.0 all-highway.

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: May 05, 2010, 05:35:36 pm »
Wow - this thread sure turned to :censor: right about here. Stop the troll and the rest takes care of itself... when it began to resemble every thread about a Honda, Toyota, etc.

Fixed.

Offline drederick

• Enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: May 05, 2010, 05:35:51 pm »
"Just the facts mam" 900 RPM for same power

I believe you omitted the word "higher" just after RPM   :)

This sums it up on the motor:

My only complaint power-wise is that it makes its power high in the rev range, which is fine until you pack four adults inside, at which point you immediately notice how much harder the engine has to work to get the Equinox up to speed. As it is, this four-cylinder doesn’t seem to mind reaching for high revs, and it sounds decent when pressed, but the amount of engine noise that makes it inside reminds you that this is no luxury vehicle.

PPL, buy the V6.

"My only complaint power-wise is that it makes its power high in the rev range, which is fine until you pack four adults inside" ummm how is it with fewer than 4 adults - I believe 'fine' is the word used, right?

ahem.... from a review on this site of the Rav4 with 2.5:

"The only similarity to the old four-banger is a lack of torque off idle; after all, torque is up just six pound-feet (compared to the 13-horsepower upgrade), and it still peaks at a relatively high 4,000 rpm."

Strange words to describe the 2.5 in the Rav4... possibly the rabbit hole we call the 'conspiracy' just got ALOT deeper!

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: May 05, 2010, 05:41:14 pm »
and it still peaks at a relatively high 4,000 rpm."

Well if the reviewer thinks 4000 rpm sucks, then what did he say about 4900?

Offline Erik

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: May 05, 2010, 05:48:59 pm »

Race - beyond your control
Sexual orientation - beyond your control
Disabilities - beyond your control

Think about it.

Never heard of the Obese gene?

http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/67666.php

Offline Erik

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: May 05, 2010, 05:49:44 pm »

Hope you aren't surprised....

Offline drederick

• Enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: May 05, 2010, 05:51:00 pm »
and it still peaks at a relatively high 4,000 rpm."

Well if the reviewer thinks 4000 rpm sucks, then what did he say about 4900?

He said it was "fine", right, until you pack in 4 adults?

In fact, the reviewer said the "lack of torque off idle" comment without even saying anything about having 4 adults in the rav4 2.5 - what exactly does that say?

Leviathan

« Reply #59 on: May 05, 2010, 05:51:19 pm »

Hope you aren't surprised....
No, not surprised. Saddened would be a better description.