Author Topic: Test Drive: 2010 Chevrolet Equinox LT FWD  (Read 24430 times)

Offline Autos_Editor

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +91/-560
    • View Profile
Test Drive: 2010 Chevrolet Equinox LT FWD
« on: May 03, 2010, 04:06:07 am »

The new Chevrolet Equinox remains a larger-than-average compact SUV with generous passenger and cargo room, says Contributing Editor, Chris Chase.  But while its new base four-cylinder engine has adequate power, it can be noisy, he says.

Read More...

Offline ipolski

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +12/-29
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 540i-6M, Passat Wagon, Tundra, MDX
Re: Test Drive: 2010 Chevrolet Equinox LT FWD
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2010, 09:54:05 am »
Again?

Dan

« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2010, 10:04:56 am »
Didn't you test this already?

John MacDonald

« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2010, 01:32:24 pm »
Yeah but I think it might have been the 4WD model.  I don't understand why they need to test drive this so many times when they haven't done others within the category, most noteably the new 2010 Hyundai Santa Fe with the new 3.5L V6.  I would like to see what the author would think about that vehicle.  As for this one I think it's a great step in the right direction for GM and a big improvement from previous model.  But it is by no means the best in it's category. 

diceman

« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2010, 03:39:26 pm »
Easily the best in its catagory. ;D Loved it , best vehicle in this catagory I have been in.

Offline sacrat

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +21/-64
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2018 Ford Escape Titanium; 2014 Ford Fusion Titanium AWD;2014 Hyundai Elantra GL ; 2012 Infiniti G37X
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2010, 03:51:51 pm »
Easily the best in its catagory. ;D Loved it , best vehicle in this catagory I have been in.

I didn't know GM's president posted here... ::)
Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity. Martin Luther King, Jr.

John Doe

« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2010, 04:50:03 pm »
Anybody know if this GM import/rebadge job has a timing belt like the Cruze?   ???

Offline chrischasescars

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +19/-31
  • The Voice of Reason
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2010, 05:07:33 pm »
Yeah but I think it might have been the 4WD model.  I don't understand why they need to test drive this so many times when they haven't done others within the category, most noteably the new 2010 Hyundai Santa Fe with the new 3.5L V6.  I would like to see what the author would think about that vehicle.  As for this one I think it's a great step in the right direction for GM and a big improvement from previous model.  But it is by no means the best in it's category. 

We can only test cars that the manufacturers give us. For example, Hyundai has been less than forthcoming with press vehicles lately (a lot of recent turnover in their PR department); at the same time, GM has a lot riding on the Equinox, so there are, apparently, loads of them in the press fleet.

And yes, we have tested an Equinox already; that one was an LTZ FWD, while this latest one is a lesser-trimmed LT model. We often do multiple tests of the same vehicle if we're given the opportunity to drive different versions of it, as is the case here. After this year, you probably won't see much about the Equinox until it gets a mid-cycle refresh in 2013-ish and GM throws a hundred more of them into the press pool.  :P
I used to work here.

diceman

« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2010, 05:36:19 pm »
Anybody know if this GM import/rebadge job has a timing belt like the Cruze?   ???

That was pretty dumb.

Dan

« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2010, 08:59:23 pm »
I still dont understand how this is considered a compact SUV, reason I say that is because the other day I saw one parked next to a Ford Edge and they looked to be about the same size and yet the Edge is considered a mid size SUV.....this entire SUV/ CUV/ Crossover segment is so wacky that everything seems to be overlapping.

Offline chrischasescars

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +19/-31
  • The Voice of Reason
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2010, 10:31:37 pm »
I still dont understand how this is considered a compact SUV, reason I say that is because the other day I saw one parked next to a Ford Edge and they looked to be about the same size and yet the Edge is considered a mid size SUV.....this entire SUV/ CUV/ Crossover segment is so wacky that everything seems to be overlapping.

You're right, but the Equinox is priced to compete with the likes of CR-V/RAV4/Santa Fe etc., so that's why it runs with that crowd.

Offline jamie1

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +22/-20
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Acura TSX, 2014 Jeep Cherokee Limited ADI,2007 Mazda MX-5 Miata PRHT GT
« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2010, 10:50:49 pm »
Not sure how this is an import,but it uses the ecotec engine which uses a chain.
Enjoying the Alberta advantage

john doe

« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2010, 11:15:49 pm »
Not sure how this is an import,but it uses the ecotec engine which uses a chain.

Thank's Jamie, glad to hear it has a timing chain.  The Equinox is a rebadged Saturn Vue, which of course was a rebadged Opel.  Pretty sure those are imported.

Offline bridgecity

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +126/-182
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 MDX; 2007 Tundra
« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2010, 11:35:31 pm »

Thank's Jamie, glad to hear it has a timing chain.  The Equinox is a rebadged Saturn Vue, which of course was a rebadged Opel.  Pretty sure those are imported.

I think you have a little research to do.
Quality is never an accident; it is always the result of high intention, sincere effort, intelligent direction, and skillful execution; it represents the wise choice of many alternatives.

Offline KRS

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +0/-0
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Camaro, 2009 Sierra
« Reply #14 on: May 04, 2010, 12:06:27 am »

The Equinox is a rebadged Saturn Vue, which of course was a rebadged Opel.  Pretty sure those are imported.

I was within a mile of the plant these things are built in two weeks ago and no one asked for a passport. Of course some people may think Ingersol, Ontario seems like a different country but its still in Canada last time I looked. Just like the Toyota Corolla, it's not an import.
Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats.<br />        H. L. Mencken<br />      (1880 - 1956)

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +310/-6812
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Hobby Car: 15 Mustang Vert, V6, manual, 3.55 lsd; 2024 MDX Aspec; 2022 F150 TREMOR lifted
« Reply #15 on: May 04, 2010, 01:36:40 am »
THe good news on the Equinox is it's assembled in Ontario and it looks pretty good and seems roomy.  I imagine many former TrailBlazer customers would find this a better buy in the long haul.

A lack of torque is a complaint I have about most of the vehicles in this class: being mostly based on sedans, compact-to-mid-sized crossovers like this also share those cars’ engines, which – at least in four-cylinder trim – tend not to have much low-rev grunt.

The 2.4 in the Equinox is sub standard for the class.  172 ft/lbs torque @4900 rpm is not up to the task.  Owners in real world urban driving will find the mileage poor like the Trailblazers were for the size of the respective motors.  I think in this case, the V6 version is what should be recommended. 

John MacDonald

« Reply #16 on: May 04, 2010, 06:59:15 am »

You're right, but the Equinox is priced to compete with the likes of CR-V/RAV4/Santa Fe etc., so that's why it runs with that crowd.

Like stated above the Equinox is considered a compact only on pricing and how GM "pegged" it to compete.  Much like how the Honda Accord is actually a fullsize package but honda wanted it to compete with midsize.  Something to be noted is that above the competition should say CR-V/RAV4/TUCSON, not the Santa Fe as that is a mid size SUV/CUV.  If you put the Equinox against those competition (especially the Santa Fe) it definitely falls short on a number of things.

CatsEye68

« Reply #17 on: May 04, 2010, 07:39:45 am »
The 2.4 in the Equinox is sub standard for the class.  172 ft/lbs torque @4900 rpm is not up to the task. 

Yes, you'd be better off spending many thousands of dollars more for a Highlander with a rousing 180 ft-lbs of torque.

Offline Shnak

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +8/-49
  • New toy! :)
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 Hyundai Sonata Limited, 2006 Kia Sportage
« Reply #18 on: May 04, 2010, 11:25:16 am »
The 2.4 in the Equinox is sub standard for the class.  172 ft/lbs torque @4900 rpm is not up to the task. 

Yes, you'd be better off spending many thousands of dollars more for a Highlander with a rousing 180 ft-lbs of torque.

Sure, but look at the differences in weight:
Equinox: 3761 pounds
Highlander: 3845 pounds

So the Highlander has a bigger engine (2.7L) with more torque at lower and only weighs an extra 80 pounds over the Equinox. I'd bet the Highlander probably feels more responsive than the Equinox does.

Also, just for fun, look at the weight of the CR-V: 3415 pounds. So for very similar engine specs, the CR-V has 350 fewer pounds to haul around. The Equinox just shouldn't be this heavy. There's no excuse for it.

diceman

« Reply #19 on: May 04, 2010, 04:34:08 pm »
THe good news on the Equinox is it's assembled in Ontario and it looks pretty good and seems roomy.  I imagine many former TrailBlazer customers would find this a better buy in the long haul.

A lack of torque is a complaint I have about most of the vehicles in this class: being mostly based on sedans, compact-to-mid-sized crossovers like this also share those cars’ engines, which – at least in four-cylinder trim – tend not to have much low-rev grunt.

The 2.4 in the Equinox is sub standard for the class.  172 ft/lbs torque @4900 rpm is not up to the task.  Owners in real world urban driving will find the mileage poor like the Trailblazers were for the size of the respective motors.  I think in this case, the V6 version is what should be recommended. 

LOL, I've already learned you're full of sh1t. :rofl2: