Author Topic: Chevy fast-tracks new Camaro interior for 2012  (Read 2854 times)

Mitlov

Chevy fast-tracks new Camaro interior for 2012
« on: May 01, 2010, 02:11:27 am »
...and there was much rejoicing.  YAAAAAAAAAY!

http://www.autoblog.com/2010/04/30/report-2012-chevrolet-camaro-to-get-upgraded-interior-z28/

Should put the Camaro back in the running against the 2011 Mustang.  The "light makes right" crowd will still get the Mustang, but the Camaro will be a really good option for the "liveaxleFAIL" crowd.

Offline toolatecrew

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +16/-25
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2013 Ford Focus Titanium 5 speed with Handling Pack, 2007 Nissan Senta 6 speed
Re: Chevy fast-tracks new Camaro interior for 2012
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2010, 07:31:58 am »
Why would they upgrade the interior its already "Award Winning"?

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +707/-12413
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Hyundai Genesis 3.8 AWD, 2016 Honda Fit EX-L Navi, 2019 Genesis G80 3.3t Sport, 2021 Honda CB650R, 2023 Honda Monkey
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2010, 10:29:59 am »
Why would they upgrade the interior its already "Award Winning"?

Exactly - according to some, it is not an embarrasingly craptastic Tupperware experience, but ranges anywhere between "perfectly fine" and "class leading".  Whatever could Chevy be thinking to mess with such a wonderful interior and so very quickly as well?   :rofl:

Jaeger
Wokeism is nothing more than the recognition and opposition of bigotry in all its forms.  Bigots are predictably triggered.

Offline Erik

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +60/-374
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2000 Honda Insight
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2010, 03:26:54 pm »
Excelllent.
I know I am near enough alone here in not hating the current interior, but an improvement is always a good thing.

Nice to see that they Ford vs Chevy rivalry is going strong.
"The car is the closest thing we will ever create to something that is alive." - Sir William Lyons

Offline whistler

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +1/-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2010, 11:43:18 am »
I applaud GM for this, but I am still confused as to how they can manage to update this car so fast (a halo that very few people will actually buy), but they let their actual sellers (Cobalt and Malibu) languish for years without even an updated front bumper.

The Cobalt has been out since 2005 and the only difference I've noticed in the last 6 years is a new steering wheel and a fake leather boot on the auto shifter.

Camaro hasn't even been on dealer lots a year and it already has a new interior and new engines in the pipeline.

Offline TopGun

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +43/-165
  • Carbon fibre > Soft touch dash material
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2010, 11:52:09 am »
I applaud GM for this, but I am still confused as to how they can manage to update this car so fast (a halo that very few people will actually buy), but they let their actual sellers (Cobalt and Malibu) languish for years without even an updated front bumper.

The Cobalt has been out since 2005 and the only difference I've noticed in the last 6 years is a new steering wheel and a fake leather boot on the auto shifter.

Camaro hasn't even been on dealer lots a year and it already has a new interior and new engines in the pipeline.

Some car called the Porsche 911 followed that philosophy for years...never hurt 'em!   ;)

The Cobalt is replaced with the Cruze...so that' not long for this world.  The Malibu has always looked great...with a great interior...and that model is being updated as well.

I just listened to a podcast of Autoline Afterhours, where the Corvette Racing program manager restated that Ed Welburn is well aware of the interior deficiencies of the Vette...and is taking the long-term steps to upgrade it.  Apparently, Ed said the DASHBBOARD has the most parts, is the most expensive, and takes the longest to go from concept to production than any other part in the car.

Mitlov

« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2010, 12:03:36 pm »

Wasn't the Malibu all-new in 2008?

So?  It's replaced with the Cruze next year.  And as for minimal changes in the past six years, let's play "spot the differences" between a 2003 Corolla and a 2009 Corolla. 

When Subaru overhauled the current WRX just a year after its release to fix some widely-criticized shortcomings, people applauded their fast response.  Why wouldn't this be the same?

Offline TopGun

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2010, 12:11:06 pm »
When Subaru overhauled the current WRX just a year after its release to fix some widely-criticized shortcomings, people applauded their fast response.  Why wouldn't this be the same?

Ask Jaeger!

Offline ovr50

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +27/-126
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2010, 12:39:30 pm »
I am not at all surprised by GM doing this. In my mind, the space station interior was the one weak point in an otherwise neat package. Good for GM for recognizing their missing the boat on the interior. I would still prefer the new Mustang, but the Camaro-enthusiasts will be pleased, no doubt.  :)
2022 Mazda CX-5 Signature Turbo in Snowflake White Pearl
and
2012 Toyota Camry SE V6 in Alpine White

Offline whistler

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +1/-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2010, 04:15:22 pm »

Wasn't the Malibu all-new in 2008?

It was, and it got great press in 2008. Now it is falling to the bottom of the list in just about every comparo because everyone else got better and GM has done nothing. It went from having very little fleet sales at launch to filling the Enterprise and Discount lots.

All it would take are little things like an integrated stereo, maybe a nav system option, maybe throw in the DI engine and a face lift and the car would be back at the top again. Instead it sits at the bottom and sells to fleets and old people with GM credit cards.

So?  It's replaced with the Cruze next year.  And as for minimal changes in the past six years, let's play "spot the differences" between a 2003 Corolla and a 2009 Corolla. 

Heres the biggest difference here: The Corolla was a good car in 2003, and was still pretty good in 2008 (the 2009 was a whole new model BTW). It didn't need any updates to stay competitive and sell at near MSRP for its entire run.

I'm not saying they should have updated the Cobalt just for the sake of updating it, but they should have at least fixed its glaring faults.

I've sat in the Cruze and while a major step ahead of the Cobalt, from a qualitative standpoint (sitting in the car and observing the interior, I haven't driven one), it will face the same problems as the Cobalt when it finally hits the market. Just decent when it comes out, lackluster within a year.

The Cobalt in 2005 was cramped, uncomfortable, had a poor quality rattle filled interior, and looked dated from day 1. The Cobalt was near the bottom of the class when it came out, and has had no updates since then while just about everyone else (at least the imports) was already better in 2005 and has had a face lift or full redesign since then. So, they get dumped into rental fleets and sold at fire sale prices. I've driven MANY of them, I worked at a rental agency where we'd get them in by the truckload at ridiculously low prices, and even the customers complained about them. I now work in government where we have another fleet full of fire sale priced G5s and Cobalts which are SEs and LTs which I believe were bought for something like 12-13k (with a sticker 9-10k higher than that).

They work fine in that application, but they could not go head to head in a retail environment with a Civic, Corolla, or 3 on day one of sales, let alone 6 years later with not one improvement.

I am applauding them, I just want to know why they are so quick to update and fix a halo car that only has a limited customer base, while their bread and butter cars which COULD sell hundreds of thousands to REAL retail customers rot away without any changes for whole life cycles.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2010, 04:22:35 pm by whistler »

Offline TopGun

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2010, 04:42:53 pm »
It was, and it got great press in 2008. Now it is falling to the bottom of the list in just about every comparo because everyone else got better and GM has done nothing.

When I read the last comparo in MotorTrendy, they praised the handling...they just thought the back seat was too tight...and it wasn't anywhere near as appliance like as they think a sedan should be.  Screw 'em.

I am applauding them, I just want to know why they are so quick to update and fix a halo car that only has a limited customer base, while their bread and butter cars which COULD sell hundreds of thousands to REAL retail customers rot away without any changes for whole life cycles.

Good point.  The autoextremist, whom I've taken quite a liking to, makes a great case that GM marketing is in bad shape...and not getting much better with their Chevy tagline "Excellence for all".

May 5, 2010
In search of Chevrolet’s soul.
By Peter M. De Lorenzo
http://www.autoextremist.com/current/?currentPage=1