Author Topic: Test Drive: 2010 Hyundai Tucson GL AWD  (Read 13187 times)

Offline Autos_Editor

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +91/-560
    • View Profile
Test Drive: 2010 Hyundai Tucson GL AWD
« on: April 30, 2010, 04:09:17 am »

This compact crossover utility vehicle remains a roomy, practical vehicle despite its curvaceous new styling, says editor-in-chief, Greg Wilson. Its new four-cylinder engine is powerful and fuel efficient but not quite as refined as last year's V6, he says.

Read More...

John MacDonald

Re: Test Drive: 2010 Hyundai Tucson GL AWD
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2010, 08:10:33 am »
I sat in one of these on the lot of my local hyundai dealer to see the interior and in particular the pano sun roof.  I think this new Tucson is a very good offering from hyundai but like most vehicles could have done a couple of things better.  What I like is the styling, but I have to say that it look very similar to the Saturn Vue.  I'm prefectly fine with them getting rid of that awful V6 because it was neither powerful or fuel efficient.  The interior is really where you see a dramatic improvement over previous models.  I like this interior better than my new 2010 Santa Fe.  The pano sun roof is definitely a good offering, but the one in the VW Tiguan is still the best I've ever seen.  The interior seemed to me a bit smaller feeling than the previous model but it might be because the roof line has been lowered and at 6"1 I notice head space more than anything else.  I would still say that it has enough room to have 4 average sized men in the vehicle comfortably and 5 in a pinch.  Now on to what I think they should have done to make this a true game changer.  I think they should have put the new 2.4 GDI 4 cylinder engine that's in the new Sonata in this vehicle and give it 198 HP and improved fuel economy.  I think that alone would make this the best compact SUV/CUV on the market.  Now I should mention that they are planning on putting a 2.0L Turbo engine in this vehicle in a years time and that engine should produce somewhere between 260-274 HP, and all that without having any real ding to the fuel efficiency.  In fact if that engine had been offered a couple of months ago there would have been a good chance that we would be driving a Tucson instead of the Santa Fe.  All in all this is a very good compact SUV/CUV that is a real contender in the category and competes with the best of the competition (CRV,Rav4).  Hyundai has come a long way in the past 5 years and I look forward to seeing what they (and Kia) produce over the next decade.

swishguy

« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2010, 09:29:05 am »
I test drove one for 50 miles. It was a 4 cyl awd gls. Nice interior but the deal breaker for me was the jittery ride on mediocre hiways & the road noise. The interior was comfy & well built tho.

Offline BernardP

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +3/-7
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2010, 11:01:18 am »
Nice package at a nice price. Too bad AWD is not available with a manual transmission.
2014 Audi A4 2.0T 6MT

JPDD

« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2010, 11:13:58 am »
Wondering what the real-world fuel economy was on this rig?

Canada Stig

« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2010, 11:39:44 am »
I test drove one as well, about a 20km loop.  On the surface, very nice.  But in mixed driving the onboard computer was showing 11.8L/100km since I started it; a far cry from the official figures and about what a V6 Escape manages (a vehicle that can also tow 3500lbs easily).  I also found it similar to the Santa Fe I drove 2 years ago - nice in many ways but felt "cheap" - a few rattles and squeaks that did not fit a car with 108 km on it (it had been PDI'd, by the way).

Hyundai is definately getting there, but now that they are comparably priced with the CRV/RAV4/Rogue and more than the Escape, I can't see why I would buy one over the competition - still not quite at CRV levels of refinement.

edmontonrocks

« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2010, 12:22:15 pm »
The Tucson is an excellent drive for a compact 4 cyl CUV. When Hyundai puts some programs on it (rebates and aggressive interest rates) it will be a lot less money than the CRV and the RAV. Having a 2 year longer warranty than Honda, Toyota and Ford means a lot with respect of low cost of operation for the first 5 years. This vehicle will be a winner when it comes to value for dollar (what you get for what you pay for).

aknutson

« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2010, 12:48:31 pm »
It's funny because I still hear comparisons of Hyundai with bargain-basement pricing, and it's true they do offer value-leaders in most segments in which they compete, but in my opinion you don't feel it. Interior materials in a new Hyundai are at least on par with Honda and Toyota, in some cases better. The abundance of soft, textured rubbers and plastics used in new Hyundai cars is impressive in its own right. Not only that, they are building these vehicles to be affordable in the long run as well as in the immediate purchase. The new 6-speed auto is a marvel at this price point - according to my sources, it boasts an average of 12% fuel economy improvement, sheds 12 Kg of weight and 62 fewer parts than the old model, plus it's a sealed unit with transmission fluid that is good for the life of the vehicle. They have also improved the quality of the exhaust system for a longer life, and used a more practical single exhaust outlet as opposed to the dual pipes used previously. The engine uses a timing chain which I believe is good for the life of the vehicle.

Overall a great buy, and not just cause it's 'cheap', but because in some respects it actually is a better vehicle than the competition offered for less. With current incentives, the only trouble will be choosing a Tucson or a Santa Fe, which come out very close.

Nelson

« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2010, 12:50:02 pm »
Nice price my butt.
After taking a look at the US pricing for this vehicle for the limited edition, factoring the 6.1% import duty, there is still a $5K difference in pricing. Hyundai (and it's sister company Kia) is ripping Canadians off. It's very sickening.

Jackmac

« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2010, 12:58:40 pm »
While the pricing may be "competitive" i.e.: in line with some other manufacturers, it's still much to high for this type/size of vehicle, and the discrepancy with US pricing is atrocious.  I also take issue with Hyundai's very high delivery/PDI charge - this is nothing more than a method to advertise a lower base price (which Hyundai is still doing in Ontario) and mask about $1000 of the vehicle's price.  The Santa Fe is now a much better value.

thisjhp1

« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2010, 01:24:10 pm »
Nice price my butt.
After taking a look at the US pricing for this vehicle for the limited edition, factoring the 6.1% import duty, there is still a $5K difference in pricing. Hyundai (and it's sister company Kia) is ripping Canadians off. It's very sickening.

Very true. But same can be said for pretty much every other manufacturers.

aknutson

« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2010, 01:53:46 pm »
Nice price my butt.

It's not sickening, it's simple economics. The United States has a smaller physical land mass than Canada yet has over 300 million people - Canada has 33 million, how can you possibly expect car prices to be the same? Theoretically, every Hyundai dealership in the U.S. has 100 times the exposure (and potential sales) as a Canadian dealership! It's amazing we have the prices we do. If you like, you can always move. I'm happy with Canada just the way it is.

Nelson

« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2010, 05:30:21 pm »
Granted there are economies of scale working here both in spreading the canadian head office overhead over few vehicles and the larger purchase power of the us dealers, but what is a fair price discrepancy...I say 5-10%, not the 20% we currently see.

It seems like Hyundai is going about the wrong way. They have these great vehicles coming out, but price them in such a way to leave this bad taste in your mouth. For example, the kia sorrento has a starting price of only $25K. This is a manual version, but you have to pay $28 for an auto. Kia can say they have this great starting price, but we all know this is crap given that most people need to buy auto trans, not the manual. Of course, there is the PDI/freight they are trying to pull.

Offline Minou

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +11/-26
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2018 Mazda 3 GS, 2016 Ford Edge SEL, 2016 Suzuki Burgman 650 Executive
« Reply #13 on: May 01, 2010, 10:44:42 am »
Dear Hyundai Canada,

I just built myself a Tucson GLS FWD automatic with the same equipment (GL auto + Popular Equipment Package in the US) on both the US and Canadian Hyundai websites.

Including delivery/PDI, cost is $28559. in Canada and $22490. in the US.  Or a 1.27 exchange rate if you will.  With the C$ almost at par, the Tucson I'd buy is 4K too expensive in Canada.  Dropping the price 4K to $24559. the exchange rate would be a more acceptable 1.09.

And does it really cost twice what it does to ship a vehicle from Korea to Canada than it costs to ship the same vehicle to the US?  (I know, all other manufacturers are also guilty until our governments end this silly practice once and for all).

But I'm patient.  I still have 2 more years of full warranty coverage on my Sonata that I bought cash with incidentally a 4K rebate in June '07 for my '08.  Hopefully by then, I'll knock the deal I want on a Tucson or Sonata, when both are in the middle of their cycle.

Have a nice day and don't become too complacent/greedy.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2010, 04:12:26 pm by Minou »

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
« Reply #14 on: May 01, 2010, 04:43:43 pm »
If you do not like the pricing do not buy   ::)

Build your own car  ;D

Offline initial_D

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +30/-50
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 01, 2010, 05:42:15 pm »
Dear Hyundai Canada,

I just built myself a Tucson GLS FWD automatic with the same equipment (GL auto + Popular Equipment Package in the US) on both the US and Canadian Hyundai websites.

Including delivery/PDI, cost is $28559. in Canada and $22490. in the US.  Or a 1.27 exchange rate if you will.  With the C$ almost at par, the Tucson I'd buy is 4K too expensive in Canada.  Dropping the price 4K to $24559. the exchange rate would be a more acceptable 1.09.

And does it really cost twice what it does to ship a vehicle from Korea to Canada than it costs to ship the same vehicle to the US?  (I know, all other manufacturers are also guilty until our governments end this silly practice once and for all).

But I'm patient.  I still have 2 more years of full warranty coverage on my Sonata that I bought cash with incidentally a 4K rebate in June '07 for my '08.  Hopefully by then, I'll knock the deal I want on a Tucson or Sonata, when both are in the middle of their cycle.

Have a nice day and don't become too complacent/greedy.

Write to dear Abby would have a better effect.

aknutson

« Reply #16 on: May 03, 2010, 10:32:11 am »
If you do not like the pricing do not buy   ::)

Build your own car  ;D

Thank-you!   :)

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +707/-12389
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Hyundai Genesis 3.8 AWD, 2016 Honda Fit EX-L Navi, 2019 Genesis G80 3.3t Sport, 2021 Honda CB650R, 2023 Honda Monkey
« Reply #17 on: May 03, 2010, 10:39:17 am »
I sure wish these cross-border whiners would stop polluting every single new car thread with their predictable rants about the Canada / US price differential.  It's tiresome, it accomplishes nothing and it contributes nothing to the subject of the thread.  Please give it a permanent rest.

Jaeger
Wokeism is nothing more than the recognition and opposition of bigotry in all its forms.  Bigots are predictably triggered.

Offline ovr50

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +27/-126
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 03, 2010, 11:17:23 am »
I sure wish these cross-border whiners would stop polluting every single new car thread with their predictable rants about the Canada / US price differential.  It's tiresome, it accomplishes nothing and it contributes nothing to the subject of the thread.  Please give it a permanent rest.

Jaeger

+1 Couldn't agree more.
2022 Mazda CX-5 Signature Turbo in Snowflake White Pearl
and
2012 Toyota Camry SE V6 in Alpine White

Nelson

« Reply #19 on: May 03, 2010, 04:19:44 pm »
I would stop complaining when the gov't removes all barriers to full and fair competition by syncing up emissions, safefty and other standards. Like all Canadians, we have made sacrifices to put ourselves into a position where our dollar is strong vis a vis other currencies including the USD.

My so called whining is meant to shame the automakers to the benefit of all consumers. If enuf ppl will stop buying these vehicles like sheep, then we may have a chance to make some real changes.

The car itself is a nice vehicle. I test drove it about a month ago. It rides fairly well, but is a little buzzy on the highway. The backup camera would be nice as a stand alone option.

That said though, the new Sportage would even be nicer. It has heated and cooled seats besides the upcoming turbo engine (from the Sonata).  I believe this engine will give the vw 2.0T engines a good run for it's money.