Author Topic: HeliDriver's (10-year-old) GTI  (Read 30657 times)

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +391/-634
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Rock'n Rolla Nightstalker
Re: HeliDriver's new GTI
« Reply #40 on: May 05, 2010, 06:41:37 am »
The brake pedal is soft, and has quite a bit of travel, but once you get used to it, the brakes themselves have plenty of bite. And the pedals are perfectly spaced for heel and toeing.

I was hoping they fixed that with the newer model, oh well. A lot of threads I read on GTI boards say that the pads they ship with (MKV at least) are crap and just changing them makes a difference. I wonder if that is still the same?

Nice pictures and the colour of the car looks great with the overcast skies.

Offline toolatecrew

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +16/-25
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2013 Ford Focus Titanium 5 speed with Handling Pack, 2007 Nissan Senta 6 speed
« Reply #41 on: May 05, 2010, 06:51:42 am »
Two words CLEAR CORNERS

The body colored wheels look great with the grey/ The only thing that disturbs the clean flow is those stupid orange corners. I also wish VW would just stop with the jacked up ride height and big fender gap. If we wanted that we'd buy a Tiguan.

Every time I see that interior it makes me want to trade in my MKV!

Offline Julie

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +359/-366
    • View Profile
  • Cars: nb miata, nc mx-5, e92 m3, mk6 gti
« Reply #42 on: May 05, 2010, 01:21:43 pm »
Great pics!  Love that nav shot.

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +298/-675
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Taos
« Reply #43 on: May 05, 2010, 01:36:19 pm »
Two words CLEAR CORNERS

The body colored wheels look great with the grey/ The only thing that disturbs the clean flow is those stupid orange corners. I also wish VW would just stop with the jacked up ride height and big fender gap. If we wanted that we'd buy a Tiguan.

Clear corners?  You mean those little reflectors on the front fenders?  or that you can see the Amber  turn signal bulbs through the clear plastic?   
The most radical revolutionary will become a conservative the day after the revolution.

Offline toolatecrew

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +16/-25
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2013 Ford Focus Titanium 5 speed with Handling Pack, 2007 Nissan Senta 6 speed
« Reply #44 on: May 05, 2010, 03:02:35 pm »
Two words CLEAR CORNERS

Clear corners?  You mean those little reflectors on the front fenders?  or that you can see the Amber  turn signal bulbs through the clear plastic?   

Tinted or smoked corners if you must.

I've got clears on my Maxima and you can't see the bulbs unless you get very close. Those two little rectangles of orange on the front bumper drive me crazy.

vdk

« Reply #45 on: May 05, 2010, 03:02:45 pm »
Two words CLEAR CORNERS

I think the smoked ones would look better.  ;D

Offline HeliDriver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +176/-235
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Crosstrek Sport 6MT; 2011 Yukon XL 2500
« Reply #46 on: May 05, 2010, 03:08:03 pm »
I really must be getting old, because the ride height looks just fine to me. I suppose a half inch lower would be perfect, but any more is just too much, IMO. I'll drive it for a bit, but suspect that I will be perfectly happy leaving it stock.

Same with the orange corner markers: they look perfectly fine to my eye. :)

Offline ovr50

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +27/-126
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: May 05, 2010, 03:13:16 pm »
I'm with you, HeliDriver, on both counts. The ride height looks fine to me; and as to the orange corner markers, I have those on my car, and many on the M3 forums yak about changing them out to body colored markers; but I don't even notice them now after owning the car for some months. Much ado about nothing, IMO.  ;)

BTW, I am old (chronologically) so maybe that explains my lack of excitment over orange corner markers.  ??? ;)
2022 Mazda CX-5 Signature Turbo in Snowflake White Pearl
and
2012 Toyota Camry SE V6 in Alpine White

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +391/-634
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Rock'n Rolla Nightstalker
« Reply #48 on: May 05, 2010, 03:14:30 pm »
I really must be getting old, because the ride height looks just fine to me. I suppose a half inch lower would be perfect, but any more is just too much, IMO. I'll drive it for a bit, but suspect that I will be perfectly happy leaving it stock.

I think its the angle of the photo as I thought 2010 got a 10mm (?) drop compared to the 2009. When I go in for servicing I can see the difference right away on the new GTI's.

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +298/-675
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Taos
« Reply #49 on: May 05, 2010, 03:28:20 pm »

I think its the angle of the photo as I thought 2010 got a 10mm (?) drop compared to the 2009. When I go in for servicing I can see the difference right away on the new GTI's.

I thought so as well. Since our bumper standards became the same as the US  that in late 2008 the GTIs became the same height as the US ones.

As for the Amber... lighting standards are what they are and if those parts need to be Amber then thats OK by me.   Now RED rear indicators get me annoyed...that some "stylist" should be able to dictate to engineers.

vdk

« Reply #50 on: May 05, 2010, 04:25:54 pm »

Yeah me too. It might be the 17s also.

Offline Angry Chicken

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +131/-157
  • Don't get Clucky Angry!
    • View Profile
  • Cars: drei Deutsche
« Reply #51 on: May 06, 2010, 08:23:47 am »
Nice.  Same colour as my brother's new GTI.  I love the upholstery on those things.  "Joyous" comes to mind.

Offline sirAQUAMAN64

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +8/-54
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2001 VW Golf TDI 3Dr 5MT, 2007 VW Golf GTI 6MT, 2008 Saturn Astra XR 5Dr 4AT, 2010 VW Golf Wagon TDI 6MT, 2014 Chevrolet Orlando 2LT
« Reply #52 on: May 20, 2010, 11:37:21 am »
Golf GTI driver, how are you liking the car now that you've had more time behind the wheel?
AQUAMAN64 also posts on DriverBlogs.com!

Offline HeliDriver

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: May 20, 2010, 07:14:00 pm »
I've got 2,500 kms on the car now and I'm absolutely loving it! It may not be a fantastic sports car, and it may not even be a great "hot hatch", but to me it is just about the perfect all-round car. Honestly, even if money was no object, there isn't another car on the market today (in Canada) that would fit my needs better - and for $32,000 (financed at 0%), I think it's a hell of a value.

The cabin is a great place to spend time: supremely comfortable, attractive, functional and expensive-feeling. The hatchback practicality is perfect for all my mundane daily chores: grocery shopping, taking the dog to the park, hauling bikes, skis, cardboard to the recycling depot... . There's plenty of room for four people, and the car cruises quietly and effortlessly at 120 km/h (and far, far beyond  ;) ).

And, of course, it's just plain fun to drive while doing all of the above.

Having said all that, I do have some reservations. It's probably just because I was so used to the Civic, but the GTI does sometimes strike me as being too refined. (Of course, the Civic was noisy, somewhat harsh riding, and not especially comfortable. Can't have it all, I guess.)

The shifter has nice, short throws, and snicks positively through the gears, but gives an odd sensation of not being connected to anything. It's almost as if it shifts too easily: while the Civic's shifter may not have been as smooth or precise, it did feel like it was actually connected to something mechanical down there: the GTI feels like shifting a video game console.

The steering is somewhat the same. It always gives plenty of feedback as to what the tires are doing, and it has great on-centre feel, but there's nevertheless something a little artificial in the way it does its job. It weights up nicely as cornering forces build, but sometimes feels overly light and sensitive on turn-in.

The suspension does strike me as giving almost a perfect balance between ride and handling. There is a bit of body lean, but it's hardly excessive, and the car takes a stable set throughout the corner. Well, there is a tiny bit of float at times, but again, it's hardly excessive. It would be easy enough to tighten things up a notch (like I'd done with my Civic), but I really doubt the tradeoff would be worth it.

The car will obviously understeer at the limit (and you really feel its extra 500 lbs over the Civic when it does), but otherwise the car feels nicely balanced and especially eager to rotate with just a modest lift of the throttle. Lateral grip is simply outstanding - comparable to what I remember my Civic was like on its (admittedly skinnier) R-compounds.

Even with the stock suspension, the car is ridiculously quick and easy to drive. Which I guess is really my overall impression: that the car is almost too fast, too capable, too refined, and simply too easy. Not that I'm complaining, but it does have me wondering.

For example, the other day I was cruising down one of my favourite winding roads at a relaxed 7/10ths pace. I wasn't working hard and the car wasn't working hard, yet when I looked down at the speedometer, I was shocked to see that I was doing more than double the speed limit! Which got me wondering "what is the point of having all this performance potential if you can't use half of it without going to jail?" (And then I started wondering what could possibly be the point of owning an M3 or 911, but maybe I'll pose that question in another thread  :) ).

So, to get a better idea of what the car is really capable of, I've got a track day booked for July 30th. I'll be able to give it a proper flogging then, but in the meantime I'm content to simply enjoy listening to the fantastic stereo while driving to work and the grocery store at sane speeds. (Well, aside from the occasional off-ramp taken at three-times the speed posted on the yellow sign.  >:D )

Offline Julie

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +359/-366
    • View Profile
  • Cars: nb miata, nc mx-5, e92 m3, mk6 gti
« Reply #54 on: May 20, 2010, 08:25:36 pm »
Heli, thanks for your 2,500 km review!  Sounds like a helluva car, and really glad to hear you're enjoying it.  :D

Yes, the power in my car is a waste, waste too.  But dontcha love owning such a fine piece of engineering ?  ;)

Offline Flinter

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +44/-30
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 BMW 128i, 2017 Kia RIO EX, 2014 Toyota Tacoma 4WDGMC Sierra
« Reply #55 on: May 23, 2010, 01:15:29 pm »
Thanks for the 2500km update HeliDriver. The GTI certainly appears to be an excellent blend of performance, luxury, and utility. I also appreciate you pointing out the areas of the car that you feel are not "ideal". Even the best cars have some room for improvement.

Sounds like you are happy with your choice. I hope the GTI continues to impress in the months and years to come.  :)

Offline Ice

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +15/-25
  • 2009 Corolla XRS
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: May 23, 2010, 02:45:15 pm »
I test drove a regular Golf and afterwards I was insanely jealous at how much smoother the Golf is over my Corolla.  How is the ride in the GTI versus a regular Golf (If you have a comparison). I imagine it's harsher with lower profile tires and a sportier setup but I'm curious what the feel is like.  Sounds very smooth despite the sporting intentions.

Also I found my Corolla (2.4L 2AZ-FE engine) pulls very hard off the line whereas the more powerful I5 that the regular Golf has (mine has 158hp this has 170hp) feels slower off the line but speeds up quickly in the middle. What does the Turbo feel like?

Offline HeliDriver

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: May 23, 2010, 11:58:38 pm »
I've never driven a regular Golf, so can't comment on the difference in ride. The suspension on the GTI isn't overly stiff (IMO), but the 45-series tires do give a pretty good thump-thump over irregular pavement. Still not harsh, though.

And the turbo four pulls pretty strongly right from 2,000 rpms, although it does come on stronger through the mid range (around four grand). It also doesn't run out of breath at higher revs, and pulls strongly right to redline. It's a fantastic little engine, IMO!

But... I'm not sure if it's turbo lag or a drive-by-wire throttle issue (I think it's the latter), but the car will bog really bad if you give it gas from idle in first gear. Even my torqueless Civic would happily take full throttle from a rolling idle in first. In the GTI, I've had to get used to slipping the clutch a bit when starting out in first to keep the revs around two grand. Not really a big deal, though.

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-574
  • Profesional Dash Stroker
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Tundra, GTI, Triumph Tiger, KTM, C63 AMG, FZ-09, Triumph Speed Triple, VW Golf Wagon TDI, BMW 535i, Honda CRF250L, Hyundai Genesis Coupe, Mitsubishi Outlander, Lotus Exige, Subaru Impreza, Peugeot 106, BMW Z4, Toyota MR2 MKIII, Ford Sierra Sapphire
« Reply #58 on: May 24, 2010, 12:50:14 am »
A great car, spec'd exactly as I would have it too!

Good choice, well done!

Choosing a car based on reliability is like choosing a wife based solely because she is punctual. There is more to it than that...

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +471/-416
    • View Profile
  • Cars: since the beginning of Saf timeLOTUS ELAN,STANDARD... 10, MG midget, MGB (2),Mazda Millennia,Hyundai Veloster and 1997 Ford Ranger 2014 Subaru Forester XT
« Reply #59 on: May 24, 2010, 11:56:26 am »
every review of the GTi...gives it a BIG thumbs UP.....docile grocery getter then Canyon burner..almost a 1 car fits all vehicle...........but then tpl new this eons ago!!!...my only beef (apart from jerky :-[)..is that it still looks like my '70's RABBIT.......... :think:
Time is to stop everything happening at once