Author Topic: HeliDriver's (10-year-old) GTI  (Read 30652 times)

Offline Patrick_D1

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +100/-104
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2024 GTI, 2024 Tiguan R-Line Black
Re: HeliDriver's (10-year-old) GTI
« Reply #100 on: May 07, 2020, 07:11:38 pm »
I think the MK6 GTI holds up fairly well even today.

Back when I started with VW, I needed two vehicles ASAP. This is a uniquely first-world problem within the industry, where when people with only company cars switch from one OEM to another, they need to find an interim solution until new ones can be ordered and delivered.

In my case, they found a brand new Jetta for my wife to drive, but no second loaner vehicle seemed readily available at the office for me. After assuring them that the new Director was not a prima donna and would in fact happily drive anything with wheels, my colleague mumbled something along the lines of "well, there is that old Golf..."

"That old Golf" turned out to be a 2010 3-door GTI base model in German spec, an old prototype that could not be sold and was kept around since a) it runs fine and costs us nothing and b) could be occasionally useful. Apparently it's not often thought of for new staff because it's got a manual gearbox and, sadly, few people know how to drive them anymore. Needless to say, I was thrilled - any GTI is cool, and I had never driven a manual MK6 before. And what a car! The interior materials are high quality, the car is quick even by current standards, and the chassis is spot on. I enjoyed it for a few days before my wife's Sportwagen was delivered.

When we get back to the office (one day?), I'll probably ask for the keys at some point and take it for a few days.

Manual gearbox evangelist. Die-hard automotive and motorsport enthusiast. Often found covered in mud.

Offline HeliDriver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +176/-235
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Crosstrek Sport 6MT; 2011 Yukon XL 2500
« Reply #101 on: May 07, 2020, 07:39:16 pm »
^^ Oh, nice! I see it's even got the base, 17" Denvers.  :rofl2:  I've still got them and happily use them for winters. Even my summers are 17", because light weight > looks. Mine is a base car as well (only got the tech package so I could get the upgraded stereo).

I'm a huge fan of the base GTI. I wouldn't even splurge for an upgraded stereo if I had to do it again: just give me the lightest, cheapest version there is. Have to have the manual, and of course a GTI isn't a GTI without plaid cloth.

Not so sure that a loaded GTI for $38K is such a great deal, but thankfully the base car has everything I want for $31K. That seemed to me like a good deal back in 2010, and probably an even better deal today. It's pretty amazing that the sticker on mine was $29,675 (plus $1,990 for the tech package) ten years ago, and the newer car is still only $30,845 today. Pretty sure that the features (or lack thereof  :rofl2: ) are comparable.

Offline 2JDM

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +119/-141
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: May 07, 2020, 07:44:53 pm »
I think the MK6 GTI holds up fairly well even today.

Back when I started with VW, I needed two vehicles ASAP. This is a uniquely first-world problem within the industry, where when people with only company cars switch from one OEM to another, they need to find an interim solution until new ones can be ordered and delivered.

In my case, they found a brand new Jetta for my wife to drive, but no second loaner vehicle seemed readily available at the office for me. After assuring them that the new Director was not a prima donna and would in fact happily drive anything with wheels, my colleague mumbled something along the lines of "well, there is that old Golf..."

"That old Golf" turned out to be a 2010 3-door GTI base model in German spec, an old prototype that could not be sold and was kept around since a) it runs fine and costs us nothing and b) could be occasionally useful. Apparently it's not often thought of for new staff because it's got a manual gearbox and, sadly, few people know how to drive them anymore. Needless to say, I was thrilled - any GTI is cool, and I had never driven a manual MK6 before. And what a car! The interior materials are high quality, the car is quick even by current standards, and the chassis is spot on. I enjoyed it for a few days before my wife's Sportwagen was delivered.

When we get back to the office (one day?), I'll probably ask for the keys at some point and take it for a few days.

Cool! How many kms would a car like that have?

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +117/-442
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Land Rover LR4, Honda Ridgeline, Husqvarna FE501
« Reply #103 on: May 07, 2020, 08:01:36 pm »
Since my one and only VW experience was meh (2003 Passat 1.8T 5 speed resprung with thicker sway bars) I am thinking Patrick should send me a GTI long term demo to bring me back into the fold.

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +391/-634
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Rock'n Rolla Nightstalker
« Reply #104 on: May 07, 2020, 10:16:52 pm »
It's been another five years, so I guess it's time for another five-year update!

Great update :thumbup:

My opinions are similar to yours with my MKV which just roller over 280,000 kms. It still pulls just as hard, actually harder than when new thanks to the +1 tune I had done around 80K.

Offline Patrick_D1

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +100/-104
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2024 GTI, 2024 Tiguan R-Line Black
« Reply #105 on: May 07, 2020, 10:37:26 pm »
Cool! How many kms would a car like that have?

If memory serves, this one only had about 65K on it.

Offline revalations

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +101/-329
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Chrysler Lebaron
« Reply #106 on: May 08, 2020, 12:38:14 am »
Aged so well, classic design. Looks great!

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +296/-1312
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Toyota Venza Limited, 2016 Kia Sorento EX AWD
« Reply #107 on: May 08, 2020, 10:09:56 am »
Aged so well, classic design. Looks great!
yea, i've always like Golfs (my very first car was a Rabbit, which is just what Golfs were called here in their first iteration).
When you've lost the argument, admit defeat and hit the smite button.

Offline HeliDriver

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
HeliDriver's (10-year-old) GTI
« Reply #108 on: January 14, 2023, 03:59:31 pm »
Well, that's it. GTI has sold.  :'(

Twelve years and nine months of fun and trouble-free ownership. 190,000 km and change. Had some maintenance snags at the end, but that was pretty much my own damned fault. Think I'll hang up my wrenches after that debacle.  :-\

Anyway, car still looks decent and drives really nice. I'm sure it's got lots of good years left in it.

These are the last pics I took for the ad. Didn't even give it much effort, just a quick wash and a bit of an interior wipe down. Gave it maybe 15 minutes of effort and the car still looks great, IMO. Interior is basically immaculate, although I'd never say that in the ad.  ;)

« Last Edit: January 14, 2023, 04:09:33 pm by HeliDriver »

Offline Layne

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +4764/-4509
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: January 14, 2023, 04:13:15 pm »
Damn.  It looks almost new!  I like it when someone takes pride in ownership.

I may have missed it - what are you buying now?

Offline HeliDriver

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: January 14, 2023, 04:18:23 pm »

Ordered a manual Crosstrek back in July. Just got an email yesterday that it's due in Calgary this weekend and should be ready for delivery next week.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7210
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: January 14, 2023, 04:24:39 pm »

Ordered a manual Crosstrek back in July. Just got an email yesterday that it's due in Calgary this weekend and should be ready for delivery next week.
Congrats on the sale and new car
« Last Edit: January 14, 2023, 04:41:38 pm by rrocket »
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline HeliDriver

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: January 14, 2023, 04:34:34 pm »
^^ Thanks! New Show 'n Shine coming soon!

Oh, and in an odd coincidence, the guy who bought it drove up here in a Crosstrek. What are the odds? Must have been a sign.

Offline Dante

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +33/-97
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 VW GTI DSG, 2011 BMW 328i xDrive 6MT, 2007 Mitsubishi Outlander
« Reply #113 on: January 14, 2023, 04:37:09 pm »
Well, that's it. GTI has sold.  :'(

Twelve years and nine months of fun and trouble-free ownership. 190,000 km and change. Had some maintenance snags at the end, but that was pretty much my own damned fault. Think I'll hang up my wrenches after that debacle.  :-\

Anyway, car still looks decent and drives really nice. I'm sure it's got lots of good years left in it.

Congrats on the quick sale! Car looks pretty good even after all these years.... well taken care of...

You are not alone having to deal with issues last minute before sale. Same happened to me with my Mazda3 years ago. Car had zero issues for 8+ years and 146K km when.... as I was getting ready to post it for sale, the radiator fan went bad, drained the battery plus I put a small dent on the right front fender as I put it in the garage one night.... :censor: happens....

Offline JohnnyMac

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +111/-460
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda CR-V Sport, 2022 Honda Civic Si, 2020 Toyota Rav4 Hybrid XLE (traded in), 2020 VW Jetta GLI (Traded in), 2010 Hyundai Santa Fe Limited (sold), 2016 VW Golf R (Sold)
« Reply #114 on: January 14, 2023, 04:45:37 pm »
Great timing and doesn’t sound like much of a hassle.  Hope you got a very nice sum for it.  Nearly a decade and 190,000kms is certainly getting your moneys worth.

I’d say congrats on the new incoming ride but it’s like the 40th Crosstrek bought on here this year (exaggerating of course).  It’s too bad they don’t offer it with a fruitier engine (WRX or even BRZ would have been nice).  May it give you as many trouble free miles and years.  Bonus points for getting a manual.

Offline HeliDriver

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: January 14, 2023, 05:00:19 pm »
Yeah, the sale process wasn't too painful. First listed it just before New Year's for $10,900. I thought that was probably a bit high, but figured what the heck.

Didn't get much interest, just a few guys who were obviously looking to pay wholesale ($5000-7500) and flip the car. Got an email saying "The car is perfect! I need it for my son and will pay cash!" I call the guy and now the car is for his nephew and he needs to check with his brother-in-law on the price...  ::)

Anyway, I lowered the price to $9,900 after a week but still didn't get much interest.

The only email I got from a "real" buyer was the one I ended up selling to. It was easy from start to finish. Ended up taking $8,000 for the car, and threw in my set of O.Z. summer wheels and tires. Summer tires were pretty worn, but you could probably sneak another season out of them if you're careful in the rain. The wheels are lightweight and super nice (new, they're $600 each!), but had a bit of peeling paint and minor curb rash that I'd touched up.

Anyway, I'm happy with how it went. Also happy not to waste time on Kijiji trying to sell the rims for maybe $500-600 in the spring.

Before Covid, I'd figured this was a $6,000 car. I know the used-car situation has changed since then, but I'm still happy with the price I got.

Offline Layne

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +4764/-4509
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: January 14, 2023, 05:03:53 pm »

Perfect time for drifting!

Offline HeliDriver

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: January 14, 2023, 05:06:38 pm »

Perfect time for drifting!

Ha Ha! Two weeks ago would have been the perfect time!

It was plus ten here yesterday and all the snow is melting.  :'(

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +255/-769
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 BMW 328i Touring, 1998 Jaguar XJR, 2024 Mini Cooper S
« Reply #118 on: January 14, 2023, 05:53:24 pm »

Seems like a downgrade.  :P Think you'll keep it for 12 years too?

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +117/-442
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Land Rover LR4, Honda Ridgeline, Husqvarna FE501
« Reply #119 on: January 14, 2023, 06:03:08 pm »
A good 10 year ride. That was a great price, I should have bought it a few days ago when I was up buying the Volvo but I guess it was still in pieces at that point.  ;D