Author Topic: HeliDriver's (10-year-old) GTI  (Read 30646 times)

Offline bridgecity

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +126/-182
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 MDX; 2007 Tundra
Re: HeliDriver's (5-year-old) GTI
« Reply #80 on: May 12, 2015, 04:39:44 pm »
Nice, and great work!  Thanks for the update.
Quality is never an accident; it is always the result of high intention, sincere effort, intelligent direction, and skillful execution; it represents the wise choice of many alternatives.

Offline Snowman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +702/-1347
  • “It’s never crowded along the extra mile.”
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Cars: 2012 Audi TT-RS. 2011 Toyota Venza AWD.2004 Honda S2000 Bikes: Giant Defy Avdvanced 0. Giant Talon 29 "hardtail"
« Reply #81 on: May 12, 2015, 04:44:53 pm »
Excellent and great job!

Offline KD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +359/-263
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Frontier Pro-4X, 2013 Lexus GS-350
« Reply #82 on: May 12, 2015, 05:14:57 pm »
Sounds like you bought the right car!  :fiver:

Offline jman72

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +6/-5
  • petrolhead
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 Golf GTI
Re: HeliDriver's new GTI
« Reply #83 on: May 12, 2015, 07:17:16 pm »
Awesome mods and looking great, man... those Alleggeritas suite the car perfectly  :thumbup:

In short, the car is still fantastic. Only 90,000 kms on it, and it's still tight and rattle-free - basically feels like it's brand new. My plan is to keep it at least another five years, but I'm thinking another ten is a real possibility. We'll see how it goes, but so far, so good.

^^^I'm at 96K and this has been my exact experience and feelings as well.

I actually like my shocks better now that they've mellowed out... guess I'm an old fart. I would LOVE to do your brake mods though... the mushy brake pedal is standard on the Mk6 GTI.

Offline Julie

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +359/-366
    • View Profile
  • Cars: nb miata, nc mx-5, e92 m3, mk6 gti
« Reply #84 on: May 12, 2015, 08:12:34 pm »
Heli, thanks for the update. Good to hear you're still loving the car as much and that your mods have turned out great!

I plan to leave my car stock for several years, but maybe when it's time to change some components, I'll refer back to this thread for inspiration!

She still looks terrific.  :thumbup: :cheers:

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7210
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: May 12, 2015, 08:15:31 pm »
^^ yes, dogbone mod is great, and I expect it applies to your TT as well. Best part is that it's only $40 and takes maybe 15 minutes to install! I just got the insert that fills up of the voids in the stock mount, but you can also replace the whole mount with an aftermarket unit.

Angry Chicken:  I already did the dogbone mount on the TT.  It was part of my "make the shifting better" program.  I forget if it was red, yellow or black.  But I did it.  Have a peek and see.

**EDIT**  I found my receipt.  This is what you have: 

http://www.ttstuff.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=TS&Product_Code=EN-151105G&Category_Code=

http://www.ttstuff.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=TS&Product_Code=OEM-DOGBK&Category_Code=
« Last Edit: May 12, 2015, 08:34:43 pm by rrocket »
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline Angry Chicken

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +131/-157
  • Don't get Clucky Angry!
    • View Profile
  • Cars: drei Deutsche
« Reply #86 on: May 12, 2015, 09:22:55 pm »
^^ yes, dogbone mod is great, and I expect it applies to your TT as well. Best part is that it's only $40 and takes maybe 15 minutes to install! I just got the insert that fills up of the voids in the stock mount, but you can also replace the whole mount with an aftermarket unit.

Angry Chicken:  I already did the dogbone mount on the TT.  It was part of my "make the shifting better" program.  I forget if it was red, yellow or black.  But I did it.  Have a peek and see.

**EDIT**  I found my receipt.  This is what you have: 

http://www.ttstuff.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=TS&Product_Code=EN-151105G&Category_Code=

http://www.ttstuff.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=TS&Product_Code=OEM-DOGBK&Category_Code=
Well!  Great info...thanks.  @Helidriver:  my car shifts hard with no wheel hop/judder.  Now I know why.  8)

Offline HeliDriver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +176/-235
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Crosstrek Sport 6MT; 2011 Yukon XL 2500
HeliDriver's (10-year-old) GTI
« Reply #87 on: May 07, 2020, 01:05:34 pm »
It's been another five years, so I guess it's time for another five-year update!

Haven't done as much to the car in the last few years, but did do a few mods. Most notable was a Unitronic ECU flash to Stage 1 back in 2017. Their dyno says it's good for 245HP and 280 Lb*ft of torque, which is a nice little bump from the stock 210 and 207. I'm happy enough with that, and don't have any plans to go further.

A Diesel Geek short shifter was a fun mod, giving nice quick throws, but it didn't totally eliminate a bit of occasional notchiness that I think is just inherent to the transmission. There is a metal shifter cable bracket that I could have bought to replace the stock plastic one, but it was expensive and not part of the kit so I didn't bother. I don't think it's the issue, but might give it a try later. Also installed a clutch bleeder block that's supposed to give a bit quicker clutch action, and a pedal stop to get rid of the dead zone at the end of the pedal travel.

As for reliability over the past ten years, I'd say it's been stellar (but Toyota/Lexus slappies may beg to differ  ;) ) It's never left me stranded, but I've had to do a few minor repairs over the years: rear wheel bearing, parking brake cable, leaking rear-washer hose, and a faulty intake manifold. The manifold would have been covered under an extended warranty (it's a known issue,) but I didn't want to deal with the hassle of taking my modded car to the dealer, and potentially having them charge me a diagnostic fee then denying the warranty. The manifold was only $300, so I just bought one and installed it myself. Also did a carbon cleaning at the same time, which would have been $400-600 if I'd had the dealer do it, so figured I was saving money overall.

One big expense that will have Lexus owners' eyes twitching was replacing the timing chain and tensioner. Again, it's a known issue, and VW will cover it under an extended warranty, but only after the engine skips timing and eats all the valves. The smart thing to do is just to replace the tensioner before it goes bad, but the cost for the whole job was around $2K at a local indie.

At the ten-year mark, I've only got 165,000 km on the car. It still looks and drives like new(ish), so I think I'm just going to hang onto it for the long haul. If I did buy a new car tomorrow, it would probably be another GTI, so not really sure I see the point in spending the $$$. Yeah, the MKVII (and VIII) is probably "better," but "better" these days usually means quieter, more refined, less NVH, while I actually prefer a bit of NVH.  ;D

A BRZ could be a fun alternative, and I keep eyeing them, but not sure I could live with it as a daily driver. Civic Type R is also on the list of potential replacements, but I doubt I'd actually spend the extra $10K over a GTI when it came time to pull the trigger. So, I'm pretty sure the GTI and I will just keep on keeping on... I'll report back in 2025 with the 15-year update! (assuming the site is still around then  :-\  :rofl2: )

« Last Edit: May 07, 2020, 01:07:30 pm by HeliDriver »

Offline bridgecity

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +126/-182
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 MDX; 2007 Tundra
Re: HeliDriver's (10-year-old) GTI
« Reply #88 on: May 07, 2020, 01:16:52 pm »
Nice update Heli.  Car still looks great.

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
« Reply #89 on: May 07, 2020, 01:21:00 pm »
Talk about opening an old thread  8)
Oh wait, it is your thread  ;D

Still looks nice

Also you do know if you want a new car it has to be a Tesla  :rofl2:

Offline 2JDM

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +119/-141
    • View Profile
« Reply #90 on: May 07, 2020, 01:25:33 pm »
Looks great!! The GTI one of my all time favourite cars.

Does the 2.0L Turbo have coil pack issues?

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +117/-442
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Land Rover LR4, Honda Ridgeline, Husqvarna FE501
« Reply #91 on: May 07, 2020, 01:29:25 pm »
This GTI is much more appealing to me than the newer models. Don't feel bad about the timing chain my Land Rover is susceptible to the same and the cost to fix is probably $7k+. Knock on wood lol.

That is a bitchin ride. :thumbup: I don't think a sporty car is in the cards right now as my current demerits are high as is. Province sent me a nice letter to remind me  ;D

Offline HeliDriver

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: May 07, 2020, 01:31:11 pm »
Looks great!! The GTI one of my all time favourite cars.

Does the 2.0L Turbo have coil pack issues?

Not issues like in the older cars, but I don't think it's unheard of. I've never had any issues with mine, but I did swap them out years ago for the upgraded "red top" coils from an R8.  ;D

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +268/-457
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Mazda CX-5
« Reply #93 on: May 07, 2020, 01:34:45 pm »
Nice update.  Sounds like a keeper, for sure.

Offline Bubba

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +382/-442
  • Vice President, Autos.ca Arizona Operations
    • View Profile
    • My photo site
  • Cars: 2013 Toyota Corolla LE
« Reply #94 on: May 07, 2020, 01:43:48 pm »
Thanks for the update.  Car still looks great.
My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government. - Thomas Jefferson

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +255/-769
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 BMW 328i Touring, 1998 Jaguar XJR, 2024 Mini Cooper S
« Reply #95 on: May 07, 2020, 01:44:19 pm »
At the ten-year mark, I've only got 165,000 km on the car. It still looks and drives like new(ish), so I think I'm just going to hang onto it for the long haul. If I did buy a new car tomorrow, it would probably be another GTI, so not really sure I see the point in spending the $$$. Yeah, the MKVII (and VIII) is probably "better," but "better" these days usually means quieter, more refined, less NVH, while I actually prefer a bit of NVH.  ;D

Also faster and better-handling too, though.  :)

I still think the GTI is still pretty much the perfect choice for someone who wants a good balance of performance, handling, fun to drive, comfort, and practicality.

Offline HeliDriver

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: May 07, 2020, 03:12:58 pm »

Also faster and better-handling too, though:)

I still think the GTI is still pretty much the perfect choice for someone who wants a good balance of performance, handling, fun to drive, comfort, and practicality.

Comparing stock to stock, yeah probably. But I think my lightly modded MKVI is probably faster and better handling than a new MKVII. Yeah, I could mod the new one as well, but that’s $$$, and I probably wouldn’t have the balls to do it until the warranty expires anyway.

At least, that’s how I rationalize it to myself.  ;)

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +255/-769
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 BMW 328i Touring, 1998 Jaguar XJR, 2024 Mini Cooper S
« Reply #97 on: May 07, 2020, 03:21:41 pm »

Also faster and better-handling too, though:)

Comparing stock to stock, yeah probably. But I think my lightly modded MKVI is probably faster and better handling than a new MKVII. Yeah, I could mod the new one as well, but that’s $$$, and I probably wouldn’t have the balls to do it until the warranty expires anyway.

At least, that’s how I rationalize it to myself.  ;)

Yeah, fair enough! Definitely nothing wrong with a MkVI. Before I leased my MkVII I was looking for a good used one.

Offline Gurgie

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-518
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Honda Passport Touring
« Reply #98 on: May 07, 2020, 04:46:22 pm »
Nice update, car looks great still. That'd be the hot hatch I'd have in my driveway, always had a soft spot for the GTI. ANNNNNDDDDDD, I have yet to own a VW.

Sent from my SM-G970W using Tapatalk

You live everyday. You only die once....

Offline Scaerio

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +193/-127
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2013 Volvo C30 T5; all my exes: 2005 Suzuki Aerio SE, '02 Renault Clio, '93 Volvo 850 GLT, '78 MB W-123 230
« Reply #99 on: May 07, 2020, 06:12:33 pm »
That's a fine looking car - glad to hear it's still going strong!
I'd rather be car-poor than house-poor...