Author Topic: HeliDriver's (10-year-old) GTI  (Read 30640 times)

Offline jamie1

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +22/-20
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Acura TSX, 2014 Jeep Cherokee Limited ADI,2007 Mazda MX-5 Miata PRHT GT
Re: HeliDriver's new GTI
« Reply #60 on: May 24, 2010, 01:23:08 pm »
Little late to the party,but congats on the new wheels.
Enjoying the Alberta advantage

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +298/-675
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Taos
« Reply #61 on: May 24, 2010, 01:25:00 pm »
^^
Needs 40 more hp and I would agree 100%
Which is why many people chip the GTI within minutes of getting it!
The most radical revolutionary will become a conservative the day after the revolution.

Offline HeliDriver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +176/-235
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Crosstrek Sport 6MT; 2011 Yukon XL 2500
« Reply #62 on: May 24, 2010, 02:18:09 pm »
^^
Needs 40 more hp and I would agree 100%
Which is why many people chip the GTI within minutes of getting it!

I'll be leaving mine stock. 200 HP and 207 lb*ft is plenty for a FWD car, IMO.

There's already a touch of torque steer when you lay into it: if I wanted more, I would have bought a Mazdaspeed3.

Offline HeliDriver

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: July 31, 2010, 01:52:48 am »
I finally got the car to the track today, and all I can say is: Wow!

As much as I love the fantastic ride/handling balance on the street, I was a little concerned that the GTI would be overly soft for the track. Well, not to worry - sure, it moves around a bit more than might be ideal, but the compliance really helps on the bumpy track and grip is still outstanding.

I was also amazed at how well balanced it is: it's super eager to rotate with throttle-lift on turn-in, and will settle into a sweet four-wheel drift on neutral throttle at the limit. Oh sure, you can get it to understeer if you screw up bad enough, but when driven smoothly and within its limits it's supremely tossable, catchable and balanced.

The brakes held up fine for the afternoon, but I'll admit that the soft pedal wasn't confidence inspiring. I did notice a bit of fade in the second session (braking from 195 km/h to around 120 km/h for corner 1), but they came back right away so I just decided to go easy on the brakes for the rest of the afternoon. With some new pads and a bit more seat time to see how the brakes hold up, I'm pretty sure 200 km/h is attainable on the front straight.

Other than that, the only thing I really miss is a harness. Even with the grippy cloth and the decent bolstering, I was getting tossed around in there like a rag doll.

Oh, and I forgot to mention the other cars out today: Mustang SVT Cobra, 964 911, 997 Carrera S, 997 Turbo, E46 M3, Dinan E46 M3, E92 M3, and a Skyline GT-R (the new one!). I talked with the 911 Turbo driver, and he said he was hitting 260 km/h at the end of the straight!

And, for the record, the little GTI was completely at home running with this crowd. In the last session, I managed to hang with two of the Porsches and the Skyline for three laps: of course, they'd leave the GTI in the dust on the straight, but I'd keep reeling them in again in the corners. Sweet!

vdk

« Reply #64 on: July 31, 2010, 01:57:15 am »
.Glad to hear you took it to the track.

Offline Julie

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +359/-366
    • View Profile
  • Cars: nb miata, nc mx-5, e92 m3, mk6 gti
« Reply #65 on: July 31, 2010, 08:19:43 am »
I finally got the car to the track today, and all I can say is: Wow!

As much as I love the fantastic ride/handling balance on the street, I was a little concerned that the GTI would be overly soft for the track. Well, not to worry - sure, it moves around a bit more than might be ideal, but the compliance really helps on the bumpy track and grip is still outstanding.

I was also amazed at how well balanced it is: it's super eager to rotate with throttle-lift on turn-in, and will settle into a sweet four-wheel drift on neutral throttle at the limit. Oh sure, you can get it to understeer if you screw up bad enough, but when driven smoothly and within its limits it's supremely tossable, catchable and balanced.

The brakes held up fine for the afternoon, but I'll admit that the soft pedal wasn't confidence inspiring. I did notice a bit of fade in the second session (braking from 195 km/h to around 120 km/h for corner 1), but they came back right away so I just decided to go easy on the brakes for the rest of the afternoon. With some new pads and a bit more seat time to see how the brakes hold up, I'm pretty sure 200 km/h is attainable on the front straight.

Other than that, the only thing I really miss is a harness. Even with the grippy cloth and the decent bolstering, I was getting tossed around in there like a rag doll.

Oh, and I forgot to mention the other cars out today: Mustang SVT Cobra, 964 911, 997 Carrera S, 997 Turbo, E46 M3, Dinan E46 M3, E92 M3, and a Skyline GT-R (the new one!). I talked with the 911 Turbo driver, and he said he was hitting 260 km/h at the end of the straight!

And, for the record, the little GTI was completely at home running with this crowd. In the last session, I managed to hang with two of the Porsches and the Skyline for three laps: of course, they'd leave the GTI in the dust on the straight, but I'd keep reeling them in again in the corners. Sweet!

Great review! Do you do track days once in a while, or more regularly?

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +391/-634
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Rock'n Rolla Nightstalker
« Reply #66 on: July 31, 2010, 08:57:50 am »
Great report! Glad to hear the GTi is still a great track performer. Curious to hear how the brakes are once you change the OE pads which is something most people complain about.

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-574
  • Profesional Dash Stroker
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Tundra, GTI, Triumph Tiger, KTM, C63 AMG, FZ-09, Triumph Speed Triple, VW Golf Wagon TDI, BMW 535i, Honda CRF250L, Hyundai Genesis Coupe, Mitsubishi Outlander, Lotus Exige, Subaru Impreza, Peugeot 106, BMW Z4, Toyota MR2 MKIII, Ford Sierra Sapphire
« Reply #67 on: July 31, 2010, 09:39:19 am »
Great review!

Choosing a car based on reliability is like choosing a wife based solely because she is punctual. There is more to it than that...

Offline HeliDriver

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: July 31, 2010, 11:02:02 am »
Great review! Do you do track days once in a while, or more regularly?

Between Solo 1 racing (time trials) and lapping days, I used to get out 8-10 times per season, but haven't gone at all for the past five years.

I figured I needed to get the GTI out on the track at least once to see what she'll do, but I don't think I'll start tracking it regularly. As good as the car is, it still needs a few tweaks to be really at home on the track (a racing harness is a must, IMO).

It's a slippery slope once you start down that road...

Offline initial_D

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +30/-50
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: July 31, 2010, 01:13:33 pm »
Awesome!  :thumbup: :thumbup:

In the mean time and between time, could use tape as a temp fix?

Offline HeliDriver

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: July 31, 2010, 08:29:41 pm »
:laugh: Straight out of the Red Green racing handbook: duct tape yourself to the seat!

Oh, and I forgot to mention my fuel economy for the afternoon: 23.3 L/100 km.   :o

Offline Arctic_White

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +18/-1483
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: August 01, 2010, 12:20:33 pm »
:laugh: Straight out of the Red Green racing handbook: duct tape yourself to the seat!

Oh, and I forgot to mention my fuel economy for the afternoon: 23.3 L/100 km.   :o

The price was worth the admission.  :)

Great track review, btw!

Offline HeliDriver

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
HeliDriver's new GTI
« Reply #72 on: May 12, 2015, 11:39:26 am »
Well, it's been just over five years with the GTI, so figured I'd post a bit of an update...

In short, the car is still fantastic. Only 90,000 kms on it, and it's still tight and rattle-free - basically feels like it's brand new. My plan is to keep it at least another five years, but I'm thinking another ten is a real possibility. We'll see how it goes, but so far, so good.

Except for the summer tires and wheels, I've kept the car bone-stock up until now. But in the last year or so, I've noticed the dampers getting a little weak, so thought I'd swap them out and maybe do a few small mods while I was at it.

So, installed Koni Sports all around, replaced the strut bearings and strut mounts with stiffer ones from an Audi TT, replaced the control arm bushings with ones from an Audi S3, added a dogbone mount insert to tighten up the engine/tranny mount, and did the brakes with Centric rotors, Hawk HPS 5.0 pads, and a Tyrolsport caliper bushing kit to replace the stock rubber bushings and tighten up the brake feel.

I've been somewhat reluctant to mod the car because it's so good to start with, and I really didn't want to mess up the ride/handling/comfort/performance balance the stock car manages so well. Happily, the mods turned out fantastic! The car is still just as comfortable, but I'm amazed at how much slop has been taken out of the driving experience.

At stock power levels, wheel hop was never an issue, yet there was always a bit of juddery unpleasantness when accelerating on bumpy pavement, especially when turning. I always just chalked it up to FWD suckiness, but am very pleased that the S3 bushings (and possibly TT strut mounts) have about 95% eliminated this. The car just lays down power smoothly now, with none of the judder and unpleasant feedback through the wheel. And that's another neat thing about the car - there are plenty of parts upgrades out of the VAG OE parts bin, so you can mod/upgrade while still keeping an OE feel (no rock-hard and squeaky polyurethane bushings, for example.  :P )

And I'm also super happy with the dogbone insert. It tightens up one of the main engine/tranny mounts and takes out some of the slop in the shifter when driving hard. Extra vibration is the trade off, but I'm happy to find that it's pretty marginal. In fact, it's just enough vibration to give the car a bit of extra life and character that it was missing before.

And of course, the new brakes are a big improvement. From the beginning, I was never that happy with the mushy pedal. Whether it was the new pads or the bushing kit, brake feel is now much improved. The pedal is solid, with none of that original mushy feel and long travel (and yes, I had bled the brakes before.)

Overall, I'm happy to say that I'm now enjoying the car even more than I did when it was new. Part of me thinks maybe I should have done these mods five years ago, but in a way I'm also happy I waited - it's like having a brand new car again and a fun way to rekindle the romance a bit. Maybe I'll go stage 1 for her tenth birthday. ;)

It looks pretty much exactly like it did five years ago, but may as well throw in a crappy pic anyway...

« Last Edit: May 12, 2015, 11:41:33 am by HeliDriver »

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +391/-634
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Rock'n Rolla Nightstalker
« Reply #73 on: May 12, 2015, 11:51:58 am »
And of course, the new brakes are a big improvement. From the beginning, I was never that happy with the mushy pedal. Whether it was the new pads or the bushing kit, brake feel is now much improved. The pedal is solid, with none of that original mushy feel and long travel (and yes, I had bled the brakes before.)

Must be a VW thing and here I thought it was just my car that was like that.

Great update and smart mods. :thumbup:

Offline Angry Chicken

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +131/-157
  • Don't get Clucky Angry!
    • View Profile
  • Cars: drei Deutsche
Re: HeliDriver's (5-year old) GTI
« Reply #74 on: May 12, 2015, 12:28:17 pm »
Wow.  +1 !

Got to like those Koni Sports!  That dog-bone mount sounds like a great idea too.  I (long story) have the OEM pads on my car right now, but absolutely the Hawk HPS make a BIG difference and I will be going back to them as soon as the other ones wear out.

Looks great and now time to take it out on the track like you said back here on July 31 2010:

Between Solo 1 racing (time trials) and lapping days, I used to get out 8-10 times per season, but haven't gone at all for the past five years.

I figured I needed to get the GTI out on the track at least once to see what she'll do, but I don't think I'll start tracking it regularly. As good as the car is, it still needs a few tweaks to be really at home on the track (a racing harness is a must, IMO).

It's a slippery slope once you start down that road...
And yes, I agree!

Offline HeliDriver

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
Re: HeliDriver's (5-year-old) GTI
« Reply #75 on: May 12, 2015, 01:18:40 pm »
^^ yes, dogbone mod is great, and I expect it applies to your TT as well. Best part is that it's only $40 and takes maybe 15 minutes to install! I just got the insert that fills up of the voids in the stock mount, but you can also replace the whole mount with an aftermarket unit.

Offline Firm

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +232/-1072
  • Urban Hick
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 XKR, 2007 DTS, 2006 Escalade, 2000 Sonoma ZQ8,1996 Firebird, 1996 Firebird Formula, 1985 Trans Am, 1984 Camaro, 1978 MGB x2
« Reply #76 on: May 12, 2015, 01:27:54 pm »
Nice to see that you're in it for the long haul and clearly still love your car :) It's a great looking car btw...

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +255/-769
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 BMW 328i Touring, 1998 Jaguar XJR, 2024 Mini Cooper S
« Reply #77 on: May 12, 2015, 01:53:16 pm »
It's a great looking car btw...

Yeah, the MkVI is leaps and bounds better looking than the MkV.

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-574
  • Profesional Dash Stroker
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Tundra, GTI, Triumph Tiger, KTM, C63 AMG, FZ-09, Triumph Speed Triple, VW Golf Wagon TDI, BMW 535i, Honda CRF250L, Hyundai Genesis Coupe, Mitsubishi Outlander, Lotus Exige, Subaru Impreza, Peugeot 106, BMW Z4, Toyota MR2 MKIII, Ford Sierra Sapphire
« Reply #78 on: May 12, 2015, 02:41:13 pm »
Awesome, good work!

Offline Flinter

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +44/-30
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 BMW 128i, 2017 Kia RIO EX, 2014 Toyota Tacoma 4WDGMC Sierra
« Reply #79 on: May 12, 2015, 04:05:46 pm »
Thanks for the update and I'm glad to hear that the GTI has treated you well over the last 5 years.

Thumbs up on your very tasteful mods.