Author Topic: 2010 Toyota Yaris RS Hatch; Day 1  (Read 33043 times)

Offline bikenut

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +0/-0
    • View Profile
Re: 2010 Toyota Yaris RS Hatch; Day 1
« Reply #80 on: April 30, 2010, 12:29:30 am »
toyota yaris rs 2010 hatch review at canadian driver  day 3

i've always liked c.driver reviews , the reviewer here pointed out the great visability compared to other cars in the segment but what i found interesting is , because the car is so tall , narrow and light , i assume -- the car actually can be buffeted in city traffic when stopped or moving slowly by other cars passing , i thought this might occur on the highway and was not aware it happens in town as well , i've read alot of reviews on the yaris because its extremely short , only an 1 &1/2 longer than the old 2nd gen honda crx and the yaris's great gas mileage , so it's a very nimble car with a super short turning radius making it fun for me , but that buffeting i wasn't aware of in the city which i would find annoying - good review -a point not mentioned in all the other reviews i've read on it

aknutson

« Reply #81 on: April 30, 2010, 08:58:28 am »
Which is worse?
The digital speedometer or the centre-mounted speedo/instrument cluster?
Did anyone even answer my question?
All the answers so far was either the like or hate of the centre-mounted speedo.

Let me rephrase if you have a choice which would you take:
a) centre-mounted speedometer (yaris-style) ? or
b) large digital-type (civic-style) ?

I suppose you could have a centre-mounted digital speedometer...

Can I choose neither? A traditional set of white-faced analogs with a white-text LED digital trip computer for me, set right behind the steering wheel. Otherwise, I'd choose Civic gauges over Yaris...but you all knew that by now  ;D

Offline Schmengie

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +27/-26
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: May 01, 2010, 03:02:09 am »
When we were in the market for a new small car a couple of years ago the Yaris was just a minor blip on our radar, and for lots of reasons. It's biggest drawbacks for us were the lack of back-seat and cargo space, the Fisher-Price hard plastic interior and that horrid center-mounted instrument cluster. A co-worker of mine has an '09 RS and at just under 6 feet tall, I can barely get in the back seat, much less get comfortable. My Versa has room to spare in the back, and it's interior is far more comfortable and uses better materials by an order of magnitude. The only big thing about the Yaris was it's price - a more or less equally equipped Yaris topped out at over $1,000 more than our Versa, and at the time curtain airbags weren't even offered as an option in the Yaris. It was no contest.

If you need something more than a city car with barely adequate room for 2, look elsewhere. There are lots of better cars out there than this over-priced little insect.
' Saw an Alfalfa Romeeo go by - furrin sports car forty feet long, mebbe nine inches high.' - Charlie Farquharson

Offline footlong58

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +12/-3
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2007 Toyota Yaris, 2014 Chevrolet Trax, 2008 Buell, 2005 Yamaha V Star
« Reply #83 on: May 01, 2010, 11:02:43 am »
When we were in the market for a new small car a couple of years ago the Yaris was just a minor blip on our radar, and for lots of reasons. It's biggest drawbacks for us were the lack of back-seat and cargo space, the Fisher-Price hard plastic interior and that horrid center-mounted instrument cluster. A co-worker of mine has an '09 RS and at just under 6 feet tall, I can barely get in the back seat, much less get comfortable. My Versa has room to spare in the back, and it's interior is far more comfortable and uses better materials by an order of magnitude. The only big thing about the Yaris was it's price - a more or less equally equipped Yaris topped out at over $1,000 more than our Versa, and at the time curtain airbags weren't even offered as an option in the Yaris. It was no contest.

If you need something more than a city car with barely adequate room for 2, look elsewhere. There are lots of better cars out there than this over-priced little insect.

Exact same reason I bought my Versa.  The Yaris seemed so cheap.  I liked the nimbleness of it, but it offered much less value for dollar than the Versa. 

Sival

« Reply #84 on: May 03, 2010, 08:33:24 am »
The Versa is basically a compact marketed and priced as a subcompact. The Sedan Versa is just 1 inch shorter than the Mazda 3 and 1 inch longer than the Ford Focus. The hatchback is shorter, but the wheelbase of the car remains within basically 1 inch of most of the compact cars. Yeah, the Versa is a very good deal for the money.

diceman

« Reply #85 on: May 04, 2010, 04:35:54 pm »
After seeing the Fiesta I wouldn't touch this thing with a 10 foot pole. :rofl:

diceman

« Reply #86 on: May 04, 2010, 06:44:59 pm »
After seeing the Fiesta I wouldn't touch this thing with a 10 foot pole. :rofl:

Are you a troll?  Let's see...

• posting about the Fiesta in Yaris thread, with no comments about the Yaris
  • posting without any reasoning as to why you don't like the Fiesta
  • adding a ROFL to your own, non funny, post
  • all posts are as such: "What a piece of crap car."  Nothing but negative comments.

4/4 =100% troll score!

So, you...

• are :censor: up the board
  • have quickly established you are a douche
  • should go away and die in a grease fire
I see your mouth is still runnung wild.This is my favorite:posting without any reasoning as to why you don't like the Fiesta.
Let me clue you in, I like the Fiesta and don't like the Yaris.DUH.

Mitlov

« Reply #87 on: May 04, 2010, 07:18:41 pm »
Saying you like a direct competitor of the Yaris better than the Yaris itself IS a comment on the Yaris, not a trolling post.

As for the lack of reason, come on.  Fiesta versus Yaris.  Do you NEED to explain the reasoning?  It's self-evident.

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +758/-938
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
« Reply #88 on: May 04, 2010, 07:55:49 pm »
Still 3/4, and all of dicemans posts are pretty much identical in nature.

Now go find that grease fire.

diceman

« Reply #89 on: May 04, 2010, 08:11:11 pm »

Mitlov seems like a smart guy you should listen to him. You need all the help you can get.

Offline Rupert

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +49/-160
    • View Profile
« Reply #90 on: May 04, 2010, 08:51:12 pm »
I like this little car and I too like the central speedo cluster location but not this one. It does make sense to glance sideways rather than down through the steering wheel and actually when looking straight ahead the speedo is pretty much still within lateral vision without moving your head. I would prefer a propper round larger dial though similar to the Mini and don't need a tach. The Accent is a pretty neat tough little car though but only two doors. If the price is a lot less I would rather take that. For $20000 I would go for a it.

Offline drederick

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +0/-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: May 04, 2010, 09:41:10 pm »
7.9 L/100km over the regular course of the week but this was with about 4 hours of idling! (who idles for 4 hours? ever heard of shutting the engine off?)

how impressive for such a small car with so little power and cargo room! - in this day and age of increasing fuel costs this type of vehicle puts to SHAME the 8.5l/100kms that the much larger, much more powerful Equinox tested a week or two ago.

No question, the Toyota clearly achieves in a supreme way.
blah blah blah Toyota blah blah blah I feel your pain; you've got a GM, it's worth squat and you owe on it. 

Dude, if the displacment is EXACT, it's not "all new".  The intake is different, the VVT is now on both sets of valves  In the automotive world "all new" often means somewhat different

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7211
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: May 04, 2010, 09:53:31 pm »

Agreed.  I've averaged a mere 6.0L/100kms over the course of 25,000kms.  And I'm not alone.  Check here: http://www.fuelly.com/car/toyota/yaris   and  http://www.fuelly.com/car/toyota/echo 

The Equinox isn't fairing nearly as well..check here:  http://www.fuelly.com/car/chevrolet/equinox
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +391/-634
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Rock'n Rolla Nightstalker
« Reply #93 on: May 04, 2010, 09:53:51 pm »
Sounds like diceman = meow.  Yes you heard it here first.

Offline drederick

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +0/-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: May 05, 2010, 01:36:33 pm »

Agreed.  I've averaged a mere 6.0L/100kms over the course of 25,000kms.  And I'm not alone.  Check here: http://www.fuelly.com/car/toyota/yaris   and  http://www.fuelly.com/car/toyota/echo 

The Equinox isn't fairing nearly as well..check here:  http://www.fuelly.com/car/chevrolet/equinox

Congratulations on your average! gold star worthy indeed! The site you presented is interesting, but, that is about it. No where does it describe the type of travel each person does in their vehicles - could someone just do all hwy - or maybe three people do all hwy and only those three post - so is it really an accurate measure of FE? what is the owners obligation to even post accurate information lol NONE.

As for the Equinox - it seems to be doing pretty darn well on your 'fuelly' site thank you very much. The three 4cy 2010 ones listed have a combined average of 25.8 mpg.......

and the 2010 4cyl Rav4 also has 3 listings with an average of 23.73 mpg

What was your point, again?

diceman

« Reply #95 on: May 05, 2010, 04:54:54 pm »

Congratulations on your average! gold star worthy indeed! The site you presented is interesting, but, that is about it. No where does it describe the type of travel each person does in their vehicles - could someone just do all hwy - or maybe three people do all hwy and only those three post - so is it really an accurate measure of FE? what is the owners obligation to even post accurate information lol NONE.

As for the Equinox - it seems to be doing pretty darn well on your 'fuelly' site thank you very much. The three 4cy 2010 ones listed have a combined average of 25.8 mpg.......

and the 2010 4cyl Rav4 also has 3 listings with an average of 23.73 mpg

What was your point, again?

I think his point is, that he's not to smart.

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
« Reply #96 on: May 05, 2010, 04:57:31 pm »
I think his point is, that he's not to smart.

Doh!  Still can't spell, eh, Meow?

Mitlov

« Reply #97 on: May 05, 2010, 04:59:12 pm »

Nope, at best 1 out of 4.  I don't have a beef with you in general, and I don't really know anything about this "Meow" saga that other people on the forum have mentioned, but I gotta say I think you're in the wrong on this particular situation.

* posting about the Fiesta in Yaris thread, with no comments about the Yaris

Comparing the Yaris to a competitor is commenting on the Yaris.

And what the frak are you doing bringing the Equinox into this thread after criticizing him for mentioning the Fiesta?

posting without any reasoning as to why you don't like the Fiesta

A lot of people didn't explicitly provide their reasons for preferring the Fiesta.  It's because it's self-evident that the Fiesta tramples the equally-expensive Yaris RS in most every category I can think of.

adding a ROFL to your own, non funny, post

I thought he was laughing at the Yaris, not his post.  This car at this price does deserve a laughing smiley.  It does.

all posts are as such: "What a piece of crap car."  Nothing but negative comments.

Can't say I know what his other posts are like.  Maybe he is a rainstorm of negativity.  But who are you to criticize, Mr. "I'm starting a thread about how I don't want people to PM me" and "I'm going to tell someone that they're ':censor: up the board' and are 'a douche' and should 'die in a grease fire' all because they mocked the Yaris RS"?  Talk about negativity...

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: May 05, 2010, 05:09:24 pm »
And what the frak are you doing bringing the Equinox into this thread after criticizing him for mentioning the Fiesta?

Huh?  I reread all my posts in this thread, no mention of the Equinox.  You're delusional.

Can't say I know what his other posts are like.  Maybe he is a rainstorm of negativity.  But who are you to criticize, Mr. "I'm starting a thread about how I don't want people to PM me" and "I'm going to tell someone that they're ':censor: up the board' and are 'a douche' and should 'die in a grease fire' all because they mocked the Yaris RS"?  Talk about negativity...

The whole board is now little more than trolls.  When in Rome...

Mitlov

« Reply #99 on: May 05, 2010, 05:15:14 pm »

Huh?  I reread all my posts in this thread, no mention of the Equinox.  You're delusional.

Sorry, looking again, that was rrocket not you.  It's just a few posts up.

The whole board is now little more than trolls.  When in Rome...

Thanks for reminding me why I should be spending less time here.