Author Topic: First Drive: 2011 Ford Fiesta  (Read 71597 times)

Mitlov

Re: First Drive: 2011 Ford Fiesta
« Reply #80 on: April 27, 2010, 08:27:00 pm »
Wonder if those are the bolt on parts from the UK Fiesta S1600??

No, the S1600 is merely an appearance package (except for the not-yet-released Mountune engine upgrades), and doesn't appear to involve a short-throw shifter, exhaust, or suspension work.

http://www.autoblog.com/2010/04/26/ford-uk-gets-new-tarted-up-fiesta-s1600/

Based on the popular Fiesta Zetec-S – with a generous standard specification that includes alloy pedals and Quickclear windscreen – the sporty Fiesta S1600 interior adds heated, stitched leather sports seats with standard side-airbags, leather steering wheel, handbrake cover and gearknob, plus Motorsport-branded floor mats and scuff plates.

On the outside, the sporting pedigree is made clear, through a comprehensive body-styling kit that includes a unique front bumper with flared lower valence panel, extended side skirts, large rear spoiler and rear diffuser, finished with 17-in, white alloy wheels (16-in on diesel models). The newcomer's special paint finish is available in Frozen White or Performance Blue, with contrasting motorsport stripes.

The Fiesta S1600 is the biggest joke since the Mugen Fit.  EDIT:  An even bigger joke, because at least the Mugen Fit has a sport exhaust and a short-throw shifter, even if it doesn't have engine or suspension upgrades.

http://automobiles.honda.com/fit/mugen-accessories.aspx

carsncars

« Reply #81 on: April 27, 2010, 08:31:12 pm »
The regular mini is dog slow

Hmm... if the Fiesta is comparable, I don't think I would mind it given the 6-speed stick. Now, if it's Smart slow, that... I don't want.

Offline wing

• Big Wig
  • Administrator
  • Carma: +279/-320
  • If you ain't first ... you're last!
    • View Profile
    • Drivesideways
  • Cars: 2009 Lexus ISF, 2009 Lexus LX570,2011 Audi A5 Touring Car
« Reply #82 on: April 27, 2010, 08:34:24 pm »
God no nothing is smart slow that thing is anaemic

Mitlov

« Reply #83 on: April 27, 2010, 08:38:02 pm »
The regular mini is dog slow

Hmm... if the Fiesta is comparable, I don't think I would mind it given the 6-speed stick. Now, if it's Smart slow, that... I don't want.

Fiesta has a FIVE-speed stick or a six-speed dual-clutch.

carsncars

« Reply #84 on: April 27, 2010, 10:16:52 pm »

Fair enough... as long as they're well spaced I really don't mind five. I really wish the PowerShift had paddles, though--with that, I might be tempted.

Offline sacrat

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +21/-64
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2018 Ford Escape Titanium; 2014 Ford Fusion Titanium AWD;2014 Hyundai Elantra GL ; 2012 Infiniti G37X
« Reply #85 on: April 28, 2010, 03:18:20 am »
I find the shouts for more power a bit ridiculous here...where do you go with this. Providing souped up versions to perenial abusers only leads to warrenty claims and one wonders if this leads to any profits at all. The road is not a race track. Just match the drive train and power to the weight of the car in normal use. No limitations on good suspension.

Actually the power issue is relative. I grew up in Windsor, ON where the garbage dump was the largest hill.The Fiesta'a power to weight ratio would be fine there. I've lived the last 30 years in Calgary where the mountainous terrain would give the Fiesta similar challenges to those mentioned in the article being tested near San Francisco.
Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity. Martin Luther King, Jr.

Mitlov

« Reply #86 on: April 28, 2010, 11:41:17 am »

Fair enough... as long as they're well spaced I really don't mind five. I really wish the PowerShift had paddles, though--with that, I might be tempted.

I agree, at least for the SES/SEL model.  The lack of paddles or a tap-to-shift function on the stick is excusable for me on the SE and especially the S (due to their low price points), but the SES/SEL?  Come on, guys.

Luckily, I prefer three pedals, so the issue is academic for me.

EDIT:  I did see that the Volkswagen Polo 1.2 TSI lacks a manumatic function for its dual-clutch transmission as well, so at least the Fiesta won't be alone in this oversight when the Polo arrives on this side of the Pond.  Still no excuse (for either brand).

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +298/-675
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Taos
« Reply #87 on: April 28, 2010, 12:22:20 pm »

I agree, at least for the SES/SEL model.  The lack of paddles or a tap-to-shift function on the stick is excusable for me on the SE and especially the S (due to their low price points), but the SES/SEL?  Come on, guys.

Luckily, I prefer three pedals, so the issue is academic for me.

EDIT:  I did see that the Volkswagen Polo 1.2 TSI lacks a manumatic function for its dual-clutch transmission as well, so at least the Fiesta won't be alone in this oversight when the Polo arrives on this side of the Pond.  Still no excuse (for either brand).
The annoying thing is that as the manumatic function only needs two switches and a wire or two it isn't even expensive to do.
Maybe for the Fiesta and the Polo someone will hack it and find where the computer needs a pulse to canhe gear and inwhat direction for up and down...
The most radical revolutionary will become a conservative the day after the revolution.

Offline wing

• Big Wig
  • Administrator
  • Carma: +279/-320
  • If you ain't first ... you're last!
    • View Profile
    • Drivesideways
  • Cars: 2009 Lexus ISF, 2009 Lexus LX570,2011 Audi A5 Touring Car
« Reply #88 on: April 28, 2010, 12:23:52 pm »
This assumes the software has an outside interrupt input.  I suspect it does though :P

Offline Rupert

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +49/-160
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: April 28, 2010, 12:30:26 pm »
The weight of the Accent is 100LB less than the Fiesta and has 110 HP so that the Fiesta with a 120 HP engine has a little better power to weight ratio than the Accent. Since the Accent has a nicely matched engine and drive train I would think that the Fiesta would be a bit better, having more ratios. As for the rest of the above... I don't know why car companies waste time and effort on this stuff. Personally I think that they should just produce a nice car with a well matched power train and decent suspension and stand at just that. Has anyone done a study on warrenty work required on up-rated higher power versions.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2010, 05:02:10 pm by Rupert »

Mitlov

« Reply #90 on: April 28, 2010, 03:37:10 pm »
The weight of the Accent is 100LB less than the Fiesta and has 110 HP so that the Fiesta with a 120 HP engine has a little better power to weight ratio than the Accent. Since the Accent has a nicely matched engine and drive train I would think that the Fiesta would be a bit better, having more ratios. As for the rest of the above...do it yourself... I don't know why car companies waste time and effort on this stuff. Personally I think that they should just produce a nice car with a well matched power train and decent suspension and stand at just that. Has anyone done a study on warrenty work required on up-rated versions. It's a small car for pete's sake.

I like leather upholstery and heated seats, a sunroof, and premium sound.  If I'm happy with the Fiesta's powertrain and handling, why should I have to drop twice as much money to buy a 328i just to get those features?  It's not good for my wallet and it's not good for the environment.

A car shouldn't automatically be equipped as a basic-transportation penalty-box just because it's small and light.

Offline Rupert

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +49/-160
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: April 28, 2010, 04:56:45 pm »
I was refering to the power aspects only. I think well matched is enough and wonder what profits there are to be had in going further than this.

Mitlov

« Reply #92 on: April 28, 2010, 05:00:03 pm »
I was refering to the power aspects only. I think well matched is enough and wonder what profits there are to be had in going further than this.

I think that for the mass-market, 120 hp in this segment is just fine.

But a Fiesta with a turbocharged "ecoboost" engine has been caught testing, and I think that'll be great for driving enthusiasts.  Think of it as a Cooper S without the tackiness.

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +758/-938
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
« Reply #93 on: April 28, 2010, 07:03:44 pm »
We've had the Corolla laden up with gear and on the steep passes on the Icefields Parkway, the 132hp is not thrilling, but more than enough to stay at, or above, the posted.

I think the Fiesta embodies the spirit of the original Mini more than the new Mini.  An affordable (NOT the new Mini) fun to drive little package.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7210
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: April 28, 2010, 07:06:16 pm »
^^yea...I was shocked at how much a Mini can cost...
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline 2JDM

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +119/-141
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: April 28, 2010, 07:24:24 pm »

A base Mini can easily hit 30k, with a few options.  :o

Dragon75

« Reply #96 on: April 28, 2010, 07:55:13 pm »
I sat in it at the Vancouver auto show and was not impressed. :o

Offline G0dspd

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +11/-4
  • Vroum Vroum
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: April 28, 2010, 08:14:11 pm »

My cousin bought a 2009 Mini Cooper S with all the bells and whistles.  I didn't do a check list but from what I remember it was loaded.  Anyway, the final price was almost 40 000$ before taxes.  :o  She lives in Toronto and she likes the vehicle's size.  I'm not sure she knows what the S stands for but she loves it to death.  :P
"Can we make this quick? I have to give a banana to Annie's Boobs."

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7210
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: April 28, 2010, 08:16:39 pm »

My cousin bought a 2009 Mini Cooper S with all the bells and whistles.  I didn't do a check list but from what I remember it was loaded.  Anyway, the final price was almost 40 000$ before taxes.  :o  She lives in Toronto and she likes the vehicle's size.  I'm not sure she knows what the S stands for but she loves it to death.  :P

Sucker?   ;D

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +471/-416
    • View Profile
  • Cars: since the beginning of Saf timeLOTUS ELAN,STANDARD... 10, MG midget, MGB (2),Mazda Millennia,Hyundai Veloster and 1997 Ford Ranger 2014 Subaru Forester XT
« Reply #99 on: April 29, 2010, 03:29:48 pm »
"S"UBPRIME MORTGAGES.....................man that sachs ???
Time is to stop everything happening at once