Author Topic: First Drive: 2011 Ford Fiesta  (Read 71596 times)

Offline Spec5

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +8/-30
  • Give me 3 pedals or no pedals!
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 1987 Pontiac Firebird, 1999 Pontiac Sunfire GT, 1992 Ford Taurus SHO, 1989 Pontiac Bonneville, 2003 Nissan Sentra SE-R Spec V, 2007 Hyundai Tucson, 2012 Honda Odyssey EX, 2016 Honda CRV SE
Re: First Drive: 2011 Ford Fiesta
« Reply #40 on: April 26, 2010, 01:29:07 pm »
I'm particularly excited by the excellent sound insulation/solid feel.  Oftentimes, particularly with small cars, you have to choose between good sound insulation and communicative driving.  It's nice to have a car that offers both.

This in my opinion is huge. It will go a long way to making small cars not feel so cheap. Hopefully this practice will propagate throughout the rest of the industry.
My other Honda is an MP4-31!

Offline Winterpeg

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +8/-10
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '07 Chev Malibu LT V6
« Reply #41 on: April 26, 2010, 01:38:44 pm »
The LED strips are DRL not foglight or headlights.

There is an aftermarket armrest available from EU. I'm not sure if it fits the NA version as the center floor console may be different. Perhaps they'll make one for NA too.

Yes agree with CarCrazy.....Can-do with those armrests from Europe and they will make a BIG difference in relaxed driving.
Working the "graveyard" shift I use my cruise all the time to work and having a place to rest my arm is paramount baby.
A Canadian Winter pkge, Six speed auto, EU Focus like handling.................Did Christmas come early this year?
There is one bugaboo here with me......those rear seats do not fold completely flat. The cargo area is not as useful as in the Honda Fit (class leader in that respect) but this is where test drives come to play........sign me up thank you.    ;)
Have Car......Will Travel

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +298/-675
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Taos
« Reply #42 on: April 26, 2010, 01:50:43 pm »
I'm picking nits here, but I don't like the fact Speed Control is not a stand alone option.  To get it, you must purchase either the Sport Appearance Package ($450) or the Super Fuel Economy Package ($500).

I wondered where these packages came from. I didn't see them on Ford.ca.   Then I went back...I'd started with the right hand side of the model list and that Fiesta has all that stuff.   Phew!    I think that just for convenience I'd just buy the SES hatch and not worry about missing something. Its still dirt cheap. ( Actually I will wait for the Focus to see if they have one with at least the GTI's power to weight )
The most radical revolutionary will become a conservative the day after the revolution.

Offline Spec5

• Auto Obsessed
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 1987 Pontiac Firebird, 1999 Pontiac Sunfire GT, 1992 Ford Taurus SHO, 1989 Pontiac Bonneville, 2003 Nissan Sentra SE-R Spec V, 2007 Hyundai Tucson, 2012 Honda Odyssey EX, 2016 Honda CRV SE
« Reply #43 on: April 26, 2010, 02:27:35 pm »
( Actually I will wait for the Focus to see if they have one with at least the GTI's power to weight )

Not likely in the first model year. Perhaps next.

Mitlov

« Reply #44 on: April 26, 2010, 02:36:36 pm »
( Actually I will wait for the Focus to see if they have one with at least the GTI's power to weight )

Not likely in the first model year. Perhaps next.

Yeah, first year will likely be just the super-fuel-efficient, 150 horsepower naturally-aspirated direct-inject engine.  I suspect the year after that, we'll have a Focus ST, an ecoboost GTI-fighter with power in the low 200s (previous generation used the Volvo T5 engine from the S40/C30, but given the sale of Volvo, expect a Ford-developed ecoboost engine for the MkIII Focus).  The insanity-on-wheels 300+ horsepower Focus RS (which hunts the EVO and STI and actually did a great job of it in the last generation, despite the lack of AWD) will follow soon after that.

Offline Spec5

• Auto Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: April 26, 2010, 03:10:12 pm »
Yeah, first year will likely be just the super-fuel-efficient, 150 horsepower naturally-aspirated direct-inject engine.  I suspect the year after that, we'll have a Focus ST, an ecoboost GTI-fighter with power in the low 200s (previous generation used the Volvo T5 engine from the S40/C30, but given the sale of Volvo, expect a Ford-developed ecoboost engine for the MkIII Focus).  The insanity-on-wheels 300+ horsepower Focus RS (which hunts the EVO and STI and actually did a great job of it in the last generation, despite the lack of AWD) will follow soon after that.

I had read/heard somewhere that they would never do a Focus ST in NA because it would steal too many sales from the Mustang as its performance would be quite similar and that such a Focus would cost in the low 30s - very near Mustang GT territory. It would be nice though if they actually did build it. And considering the new V6 in the base Mustang maybe it is in the cards.

Mitlov

« Reply #46 on: April 26, 2010, 03:31:26 pm »

I had read/heard somewhere that they would never do a Focus ST in NA because it would steal too many sales from the Mustang as its performance would be quite similar and that such a Focus would cost in the low 30s - very near Mustang GT territory. It would be nice though if they actually did build it. And considering the new V6 in the base Mustang maybe it is in the cards.

Do you mean Focus ST or Focus RS?  A Focus ST would be a GTI competitor; it'd be just like a Volvo S40 T5 or C30 T5 without the Swedish badge--refined and communicative and pleasantly fast without being bonkers.  I think it'd appeal to a very different group than the Mustang (how many people really cross-stop the Mustang and the GTI?).  For the Focus RS, though, I think those concerns are very valid.

Offline toolatecrew

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +16/-25
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2013 Ford Focus Titanium 5 speed with Handling Pack, 2007 Nissan Senta 6 speed
« Reply #47 on: April 26, 2010, 03:39:54 pm »
The new Fiesta, especially the hatch, looks like a very appealing vehicle. One thing, though - I sure hope that plasti-chrome Cylon mask on the center stack is a delete option. ;D

True, bu at least it's not a new Honda/Acura where the ENTIRE CAR looks like a Cylon  ;D

And exactly what is WRONG with looking like a Cylon? Tell me you wouldn't like to find something like this in your garage?

« Last Edit: April 26, 2010, 03:44:02 pm by toolatecrew »

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +298/-675
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Taos
« Reply #48 on: April 26, 2010, 03:50:01 pm »

Do you mean Focus ST or Focus RS?  A Focus ST would be a GTI competitor; it'd be just like a Volvo S40 T5 or C30 T5 without the Swedish badge--refined and communicative and pleasantly fast without being bonkers.  I think it'd appeal to a very different group than the Mustang (how many people really cross-stop the Mustang and the GTI?).  For the Focus RS, though, I think those concerns are very valid.

I think they should make a Focus ST  with 210 bhp or thereabouts, just a bit faster than the GTI... not too lethal. BUT there should be some emissions ( and warranty)  legal parts available for those who want to make a Focus RS.  The sort of parts that one can get for GTIs from APR. ECU, fuel pump, injectors, manifolds etc. Let the aftermarket deal with big brakes and noisy exhausts.

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +758/-938
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
« Reply #49 on: April 26, 2010, 03:59:59 pm »
Ford is really getting its mojo back, and I hope it sacks up enough to take on Subaru with some cool AWD products.  They certainly have the know-how from the WRC days.

aknutson

« Reply #50 on: April 26, 2010, 04:15:04 pm »
Ford is really getting its mojo back, and I hope it sacks up enough to take on Subaru with some cool AWD products.  They certainly have the know-how from the WRC days.

Well, that would eliminate some of the traction-related problems in a tarted-up FWD ST version. Although I love the idea of a nimble, tossable hot-hatch, the skittering, bouncing, spinning front-wheels on hard takeoff's are just no fun. At least in the one's I've driven - maybe cars have gotten better since I was behind the wheel of one of a powerful FWD'er.

Mitlov

« Reply #51 on: April 26, 2010, 04:32:22 pm »

Well, that would eliminate some of the traction-related problems in a tarted-up FWD ST version. Although I love the idea of a nimble, tossable hot-hatch, the skittering, bouncing, spinning front-wheels on hard takeoff's are just no fun. At least in the one's I've driven - maybe cars have gotten better since I was behind the wheel of one of a powerful FWD'er.

Things have gotten a LOT better, particularly at Ford with the "revoknuckle" in the MkII Focus RS:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dTY3NS1ardE

Offline Ontariodriver

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +39/-239
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: April 26, 2010, 04:49:18 pm »
I have always maintain that Euro cars are better. This proves the point. Fords knows it too. Finally in NA your starting to get a modern domestic non Japanese cars. I hope they as good as the counter parts reliability wise. Fiesta have always been great cars for quiet a few years now. The NA Focus was a very shaky start. The manufacturing here seems to be iffy. VW is casing point. I'd love the loud Euro colors too. Hopefully the days of gray and beige are gone too.

Mitlov

« Reply #53 on: April 26, 2010, 04:54:31 pm »
I have always maintain that Euro cars are better. This proves the point. Fords knows it too. Finally in NA your starting to get a modern domestic non Japanese cars. I hope they as good as the counter parts reliability wise. Fiesta have always been great cars for quiet a few years now. The NA Focus was a very shaky start. The manufacturing here seems to be iffy. VW is casing point. I'd love the loud Euro colors too. Hopefully the days of gray and beige are gone too.

We'll get those flashy colors, including the same bright green as the one Jeremy Clarkson drove:

I personally like the greys and blues (not so much beige), particularly a gunmetal grey.  What Ford calls "Monterey Grey Metallic."  But this blue is really nice too:

« Last Edit: April 26, 2010, 04:59:32 pm by Mitlov »

Mitlov

« Reply #54 on: April 26, 2010, 05:19:43 pm »
Something I've been wondering, James: is there any difference between the suspension in the (North American) Fiesta SES hatchback and the (North American) Fiesta SEL sedan?  The names would make me think that the SES is more sport-tuned, but I haven't read anything like that in any of the reviews.

Offline wing

• Big Wig
  • Administrator
  • Carma: +279/-320
  • If you ain't first ... you're last!
    • View Profile
    • Drivesideways
  • Cars: 2009 Lexus ISF, 2009 Lexus LX570,2011 Audi A5 Touring Car
« Reply #55 on: April 26, 2010, 06:19:07 pm »
Not that Ford indicated....

Offline Dante

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +33/-97
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 VW GTI DSG, 2011 BMW 328i xDrive 6MT, 2007 Mitsubishi Outlander
« Reply #56 on: April 26, 2010, 06:42:53 pm »

I think they should make a Focus ST  with 210 bhp or thereabouts, just a bit faster than the GTI... not too lethal. BUT there should be some emissions ( and warranty)  legal parts available for those who want to make a Focus RS.  The sort of parts that one can get for GTIs from APR. ECU, fuel pump, injectors, manifolds etc. Let the aftermarket deal with big brakes and noisy exhausts.

I think the first engine option we'll get for the Focus is the 1.6L EcoBoost good for about 180 hp. I'm not sure if we are getting anything beyond that. If any, it will probably be 2015 MY (2-3 years after launch).

Offline potvin

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +0/-6
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: April 26, 2010, 06:43:46 pm »
3 door model with ecoboost engine please!

Offline sacrat

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +21/-64
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2018 Ford Escape Titanium; 2014 Ford Fusion Titanium AWD;2014 Hyundai Elantra GL ; 2012 Infiniti G37X
« Reply #58 on: April 27, 2010, 12:15:50 am »
Here's why things might not be as rosy as we think (and Ford hopes).

"The Yaris is the hardest hit of the subcompacts in Canada, but there is plenty of pain to go around. In essence, the subcompact car market has collapsed this year (2009) in Canada, says auto analyst Dennis DesRosiers in a note to clients.

Subcompact sales were down 27.9 per cent in September and are off 25.9 per cent for the year.

In sharp contrast to subcompacts, DesRosiers points out that sales of large/luxury/sport vehicles were up 4.1 per cent in September and are down only 6.4 per cent on the year in a market that is off 14.3 percent.

Top 10 cars through September 2009"

1) Honda Civic
2) Toyota Corolla
3) Mazda3
4) Hyundai Elantra
5) Hyundai Accent
6) Toyota Yaris
7) Ford Focus
8) Toyota Matrix
9) Nissan Versa
10) Ford Fusion.

http://autos.sympatico.ca/Jeremy-Cato-Blog/1643/the-top-10-in-canada

Note that our beloved Honda Fit is nowhere to be seen. As good as it is, it suffers from a premium price tag in a segment that is totally price conscious. Also gas prices have stabilized about 30% below their historic highs, so people have reverted somewhat to old buying habits
Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity. Martin Luther King, Jr.

Offline Sir Osis of Liver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1376/-1726
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 KTM DUKE 390, 2019 VW Jetta GLI 35th Anniversary
« Reply #59 on: April 27, 2010, 12:40:51 am »
Gasoline prices were spiking at $1.40 or so in 2008, then dropped way down in 2009, no real wonder sub-compact sales were off.

Currently, prices are edging back up. If the economy really strengthens, we could be back up to the $1.40 range in no time.

« Last Edit: April 27, 2010, 12:43:55 am by Sir Osis of Liver »
On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.

H. L. Mencken