Author Topic: First Drive: 2011 Ford Fiesta  (Read 71567 times)

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +758/-938
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
Re: First Drive: 2011 Ford Fiesta
« Reply #20 on: April 26, 2010, 10:38:26 am »
I priced out an SE hatch with cold weather package and automatic, and at just over $19K, that seems like a LOT of car for the dough.  I think this trim level will be the volume seller.

The sedan looks dowdy compared to the hatch, at least in pics.

Offline wing

• Big Wig
  • Administrator
  • Carma: +279/-320
  • If you ain't first ... you're last!
    • View Profile
    • Drivesideways
  • Cars: 2009 Lexus ISF, 2009 Lexus LX570,2011 Audi A5 Touring Car
« Reply #21 on: April 26, 2010, 10:52:06 am »
I believe the Mazda2 will have a 1.5L engine?  Many believe the Mazda2 and Fiesta are the same car but Ford and Mazda are not partnering anymore so they differ quite a bit.

Mitlov

« Reply #22 on: April 26, 2010, 10:57:27 am »
I'll definitely add this to my list to replace the Sentra. Though the old "never buy the first version" is making me very wary.

This exact car has been on sale in Europe since model year 2008.  It's new HERE, but not actually new.  Any first-year design defects will have been sorted over there. 

Anyway, I seriously want one of these.  I should probably wait for the Focus for the extra space, but the Fiesta just exudes cool, and the price (both base and as I would like it equipped) is awesome.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2010, 10:59:07 am by Mitlov »

Offline Dante

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +33/-97
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 VW GTI DSG, 2011 BMW 328i xDrive 6MT, 2007 Mitsubishi Outlander
« Reply #23 on: April 26, 2010, 10:59:28 am »
I believe the Mazda2 will have a 1.5L engine?  Many believe the Mazda2 and Fiesta are the same car but Ford and Mazda are not partnering anymore so they differ quite a bit.

Mazda2 has 1.5L indeed. It has been confirmed a while back and it's on Mazda's web site.
Not the same car, but I beleive they still share the platform while each company tweaks it on their own. The powertrains are totally different though.
Definitelly, not the same cars.

Offline Dante

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 26, 2010, 11:02:31 am »
I'll definitely add this to my list to replace the Sentra. Though the old "never buy the first version" is making me very wary.

This exact car has been on sale in Europe since model year 2008.  It's new HERE, but not actually new.  Any first-year design defects will have been sorted over there. 

Not exactlly the same car. It's said that the common content is only about 60%. Besides, the N/A cars are made in a different plant that never made this car before.
I would expect some bugs for the first production runs as they may still have calibration and training issues. Probably some of the parts suppliers are different too.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2010, 11:04:51 am by carcrazy »

Offline Schmengie

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +27/-26
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 26, 2010, 11:51:25 am »
The new Fiesta, especially the hatch, looks like a very appealing vehicle. One thing, though - I sure hope that plasti-chrome Cylon mask on the center stack is a delete option. ;D
' Saw an Alfalfa Romeeo go by - furrin sports car forty feet long, mebbe nine inches high.' - Charlie Farquharson

Offline T.W

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +1/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 26, 2010, 12:00:21 pm »
Is it Green?

Yes........very. ;)

Mitlov

« Reply #27 on: April 26, 2010, 12:02:12 pm »

Not exactlly the same car. It's said that the common content is only about 60%. Besides, the N/A cars are made in a different plant that never made this car before.
I would expect some bugs for the first production runs as they may still have calibration and training issues. Probably some of the parts suppliers are different too.

I thought the "60%" figure was comparing parts in common between the Mazda2 and the Fiesta, not the North American Fiesta and the European Fiesta?

The North American Fiesta has a slightly-revised safety structure, tweaked suspension, different tires, and a marginally-different front fascia, but is otherwise the same (same drivetrain, same interior, same chassis except as noted above, same exterior except as noted above).  There's no way that 40% of the parts for the North American model are unique.

I'd give the plant workers a couple months to remember they're no longer building the F-150 (manufacturing defects), but I wouldn't hold off for a year or so like I normally do with an all-new car so that design defects can be sorted out.

Mitlov

« Reply #28 on: April 26, 2010, 12:04:00 pm »
Is it Green?

Yes........very. ;)

And it has room in the back for a zebra head behind your 2.2 chlldren!

Mitlov

« Reply #29 on: April 26, 2010, 12:04:39 pm »
The new Fiesta, especially the hatch, looks like a very appealing vehicle. One thing, though - I sure hope that plasti-chrome Cylon mask on the center stack is a delete option. ;D

True, bu at least it's not a new Honda/Acura where the ENTIRE CAR looks like a Cylon  ;D

Mitlov

« Reply #30 on: April 26, 2010, 12:05:56 pm »
Okay, two questions, one for the reviewer, one a rhetorical question for Ford:

(1)  The review mentioned that the car was underpowered.  Other reviews have said the same thing.  However, 120 horsepower pushing 2500 lbs compares just fine to other cars in its class, and is better than many.  Is this a gearing problem, a torque problem, or are the Fiesta's competitors equally "underpowered"?

(2)  Ford, no manumatic controls of a dual-clutch transmission?  Just "D" and "L" in a dual-clutch transmission?  Seriously, what the frak?  It doesn't matter to me personally, since I'd get the 5MT, but that's a bizarre oversight.

Offline Dante

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 26, 2010, 12:15:06 pm »

I thought the "60%" figure was comparing parts in common between the Mazda2 and the Fiesta, not the North American Fiesta and the European Fiesta?

The North American Fiesta has a slightly-revised safety structure, tweaked suspension, different tires, and a marginally-different front fascia, but is otherwise the same (same drivetrain, same interior, same chassis except as noted above, same exterior except as noted above).  There's no way that 40% of the parts for the North American model are unique.

Nope, the 60/40 is Fiesta N/A vesus Fiest EU.

The interior IS NOT the same as I mentioned in a previous post. It may LOOK the same but it is not. Every major component is different - dash, centre console, seats, door panels.

Offline wing

• Big Wig
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Drivesideways
« Reply #32 on: April 26, 2010, 12:17:17 pm »
1) I think it is equally underpowered when compared to the competition.  Ford chose San Francisco to launch the car -- you know the hilly city... it was pretty apparent that was a bad choice.

2) Actually I sat down across from the Manager of the powershift transmission group at dinner and we had a long conversation about this.  He REALLY REALLY wanted to include a paddle shift or some type of option but a few factors meant it wasn't going to happen.  One of course was cost and then that was really offset by market research.  They did a lot of research in this apparently and paddle shifters came out really really low on the list of things people wanted.  They want low cost, good on gas, comfortable and fun to drive.  Paddle shift was not something the masses want as much as we want it.

Thankfully in "low" mode it is more like "sport" mode and on a long auto-x course proved to work better than the paddles on the Honda Fit.

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +707/-12390
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Hyundai Genesis 3.8 AWD, 2016 Honda Fit EX-L Navi, 2019 Genesis G80 3.3t Sport, 2021 Honda CB650R, 2023 Honda Monkey
« Reply #33 on: April 26, 2010, 12:17:28 pm »
Okay, two questions, one for the reviewer, one a rhetorical question for Ford:

(1)  The review mentioned that the car was underpowered.  Other reviews have said the same thing.  However, 120 horsepower pushing 2500 lbs compares just fine to other cars in its class, and is better than many.  Is this a gearing problem, a torque problem, or are the Fiesta's competitors equally "underpowered"?

(2)  Ford, no manumatic controls of a dual-clutch transmission?  Just "D" and "L" in a dual-clutch transmission?  Seriously, what the frak?  It doesn't matter to me personally, since I'd get the 5MT, but that's a bizarre oversight.

Good questions both.  The subjective lack of power is, for me, one of the more troubling aspects of early reviews.  My wife's Fit is no powerhouse (understatement), but it always feels resposive, eager and quick.  A lot of this is down to the very free-revving nature of the motor and the relatively short gearing of the 5 speed manual.  And yes, this comes with the corresponding downside of high revs and more engine noise at freeway speeds.  But around town the thing feels like a little sports car.  I would have expected no less of the Ford.

Jaeger
Wokeism is nothing more than the recognition and opposition of bigotry in all its forms.  Bigots are predictably triggered.

Offline Dante

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 26, 2010, 12:28:42 pm »
If the power/power delivery is anywhere near the manual Euro model I drove last year, I would find it perfectly adequate (and I like my cars peppy). The variable here is the dual-clutch and NA calibration perhaps. Sure, it's not a 300 hp V6 engine on a 2600 lbs car, but not underpowered at all. 0-60 in mid 8s as some media outlets estimate is not slow for this class.
In any case, I anticipate a software update within the first year.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2010, 12:35:03 pm by carcrazy »

Offline Bubba

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +382/-442
  • Vice President, Autos.ca Arizona Operations
    • View Profile
    • My photo site
  • Cars: 2013 Toyota Corolla LE
« Reply #35 on: April 26, 2010, 12:52:59 pm »
I'm picking nits here, but I don't like the fact Speed Control is not a stand alone option.  To get it, you must purchase either the Sport Appearance Package ($450) or the Super Fuel Economy Package ($500).
My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government. - Thomas Jefferson

Offline MKII

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +19/-83
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 26, 2010, 12:54:53 pm »
this reviewer seems to think the 1.6L 120hp is quite OK.
"To begin with, it’s a freaking rocketship by the standards of the class. I ran the auto-tranny Toyota Yaris and “automatic” dual-clutch Fiesta back-to-back in short-distance acceleration tests. At the same spot in the road that the Yaris is reaching 50mph, the Fiesta is nearly at sixty. The Fit runs it much closer, but Ford’s decision to fit continuously-variable valve timing on the 1.6L Duratec has gifted it with more area under the horsepower curve than the Fit’s 1.5L VTEC mill, and the Honda’s sixty-pound or so weight advantage isn’t enough to close the gap."
http://www.speedsportlife.com/2010/04/26/2011-fiesta-first-look-ford-bets-big-on-its-first-no-excuses-small-car/

Offline wing

• Big Wig
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Drivesideways
« Reply #37 on: April 26, 2010, 12:57:51 pm »
I'm picking nits here, but I don't like the fact Speed Control is not a stand alone option.  To get it, you must purchase either the Sport Appearance Package ($450) or the Super Fuel Economy Package ($500).

Typically the sub-compact class doesn't even offer cruise.  And even the compact class doesn't offer it on the base model.

Offline wing

• Big Wig
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Drivesideways
« Reply #38 on: April 26, 2010, 12:59:30 pm »
One thing that was very apparently is because the vehicle is so solid you do not "feel" the speed.  At one point I was doing 60mph around bend with signs indicating I should be travelling 25mph!

Mitlov

« Reply #39 on: April 26, 2010, 01:18:31 pm »
Given Wing's clarification that the power is, in his opinion, a problem with the entire class of cars in terrain like San Francisco, not a problem with the Fiesta specifically when compared to its B-segment competitors, I'm not worried.  Particularly since I prefer the 5MT and three pedals lets you get a lot out of a small-displacement engine.

I'm particularly excited by the excellent sound insulation/solid feel.  Oftentimes, particularly with small cars, you have to choose between good sound insulation and communicative driving.  It's nice to have a car that offers both.