Author Topic: First Drive: 2011 Ford Fiesta  (Read 71555 times)

Offline Autos_Editor

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +91/-560
    • View Profile
First Drive: 2011 Ford Fiesta
« on: April 26, 2010, 06:41:21 am »

James Bergeron is happy to report that the North American Ford Fiesta hasn't been "dumbed down" from its European version. Scheduled to go on sale in June, the new Fiesta is fun to drive, quiet and competitively priced, he says.

Read More...

Sweetadad

thanks for the post
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2010, 06:50:32 am »
nice post. thanks.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2010, 11:17:11 pm by Sweetadad »

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +298/-675
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Taos
Re: First Drive: 2011 Ford Fiesta
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2010, 07:21:45 am »
I guess we really have to hope that the initial production is not plagued by bugs and does not have to be recalled. The first Focus suffered greatly from this and its reputation never quite recovered.   If, however this Fiesta is good from the start it will give the new Focus a boost when it comes next year.   If Ford gets buyer confidence with this car it will be a great thing for them in NA.

That engine is an ugly thing with all that pressed sheet metal...needs a VW or BMW-like nice looking engine cover.
The most radical revolutionary will become a conservative the day after the revolution.

Offline CanuckS2K

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +398/-316
    • View Profile
    • Prestige Auto Detail
  • Cars: 1991 Toyota MR2 Turbo, 2005 Honda S2000, 2014 Infiniti Q50S, 2017 Ford F-150 Lariat
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2010, 07:26:13 am »
It's great to see a European car brought over here virtually unchanged.  Finally!!

If I was in the market for a car in this class, a Fiesta hatchback would be my first choice hands down.  IMO, Ford is going to sell a ton of these here in NA!!  
Owner - Prestige Auto Detailing & Hammond River Brewing

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +391/-634
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Rock'n Rolla Nightstalker
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2010, 07:26:33 am »
Sounds like a glowing review and should be a hit. I think I might actually take one of these out for a spin to see for myself.

Also available, for the first time in any Ford vehicle, is the company’s new six-speed Powershift automatic transmission, a dual-clutch gearbox that is a first for the class.

I wonder if Ford will be using this transmission in any other of their cars in the future?

...starting at $12,999 for the four-door S model. The S model is Canada’s “stripper” model and is expected to be a low-volume seller, but it still comes with an impressive list of standard features such as seven airbags, including a drivers knee airbag, anti-lock brakes and electronic stability control, and tilt and telescopic steering wheel.

Nice to see on a base level car. Great job.

The Winter Package adds heated seats and heated mirrors for $350

Nice to have a separate option for heated seats. Another plus.

The SES model (five-door, $18,899) and SEL model (four-door, $18,199) add class-exclusive features such as push-button start, heated leather seats, LED headlights, Sync Bluetooth connectivity audio system and optional moonroof ($1,200).

LED headlights? This must be a first for any affordable car.

James, did you get a chance to drive the car at night to see how good/bad these are?

Offline Rupert

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +49/-160
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2010, 07:53:04 am »
Did I read...'pricing lower here than in the US'...sign me up.

Quiet interior in a small car...sign me up

Superior handling...sign me up.

The Accent has been a marvelous little car and the company deserves loyalty from me for that, when I trade in the near future but still this looks great and pricing that reflects parity. Don't need a center arm rest; I prefer the space.

One thing though...I hope that this vehicle is not going to be stripped of flare and tire sizes for less costly versions. This is wrong thinking in my opinion and it might be noted that Hyundai avoided this practice largely and did well. Keep the upgrades under the skin. This means that there will not be an eyesore version for potential buyers to keep seeing.

Best bit of news in a long time. Good for Ford.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2010, 08:00:03 am by Rupert »

aknutson

« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2010, 08:32:00 am »

The SES model (five-door, $18,899) and SEL model (four-door, $18,199) add class-exclusive features such as push-button start, heated leather seats, LED headlights, Sync Bluetooth connectivity audio system and optional moonroof ($1,200).

LED headlights? This must be a first for any affordable car.

James, did you get a chance to drive the car at night to see how good/bad these are?
[/quote]

I think this is referring to the LED strip on the front fascia that replaces the fog lights, and therefore should not be called 'headlights' by the author. From all the photos I've seen of the headlight assembly, it is a traditional projector-beam assembly, with LED turn signals built into the headlamp housing, and outer LED 'foglights' that I doubt do much more than add visual interest. Considering Audi was charging $8,000 for their LED headlight option on the R8, I'm skeptical that Ford could engineer this for a sub-compact entry.

Offline wing

• Big Wig
  • Administrator
  • Carma: +279/-320
  • If you ain't first ... you're last!
    • View Profile
    • Drivesideways
  • Cars: 2009 Lexus ISF, 2009 Lexus LX570,2011 Audi A5 Touring Car
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2010, 08:33:16 am »
^ I'll look into this, I read it on the spec sheet, didn't get to try...

I did find it odd to say the least, perhaps Ford's wording is misleading.

EDIT: I don't have the spec sheet here with me but I believe you are correct.   I'll fix that.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2010, 08:38:04 am by wing »

aknutson

« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2010, 08:40:25 am »
I am truly excited about this little car - in my mind, it's bringing a whole new level of quality and sportiness to this segment, and I hope it lives up to these expectations. I priced out a loaded SES on the Ford.ca website with all options except automatic and it still came in under $22K CAD, so that's pretty good. I like the design of the mini but the interior is just a little too wonky for my liking, and the price tag for a base model starts where the Fiesta tops out.

The only things that leave me unimpressed are the useless chrome surrounds around the LED 'fog lights' that look positively cheap, and I wish the SES model had sportier 5-spoke alloys rather than sharing the relatively pedestrian design of the other models. These are minor complaints though, considering what Ford has done here it is still an impressive car and I look forward to taking one out for a spin. But Ford, now that you have the magnificent chassis and excellent quality, where's our turbo ST version!? Pleeease!

Offline MKII

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +19/-83
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2010, 08:52:40 am »
The only things that leave me unimpressed are the useless chrome surrounds around the LED 'fog lights' that look positively cheap, and I wish the SES model had sportier 5-spoke alloys rather than sharing the relatively pedestrian design of the other models. These are minor complaints though, considering what Ford has done here it is still an impressive car and I look forward to taking one out for a spin. But Ford, now that you have the magnificent chassis and excellent quality, where's our turbo ST version!? Pleeease!

I understand Ford will offer a black housing for the lower LED driving light as well
http://fiestafaction.com/forums/2011-fiesta-facts/31385-fiesta-se-sedan-photos-mexico-7.html#post35664

Offline Dante

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +33/-97
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 VW GTI DSG, 2011 BMW 328i xDrive 6MT, 2007 Mitsubishi Outlander
« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2010, 08:59:02 am »
The LED strips are DRL not foglight or headlights.

There is an aftermarket armrest available from EU. I'm not sure if it fits the NA version as the center floor console may be different. Perhaps they'll make one for NA too.

Offline wing

• Big Wig
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Drivesideways
« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2010, 09:05:05 am »
The seats are different as well, slightly wider and use different adjustments -- I'm thinking one of those flip down arm rests would make a huge difference.

Offline Dante

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2010, 09:12:05 am »
The seats are different as well, slightly wider and use different adjustments -- I'm thinking one of those flip down arm rests would make a huge difference.

Agreed (hence I was searching the Internet for this accessory few months back).

Have you noticed if the front cupholder are now usable? The EU version has a pair of shallow holes which cannot hold any type of cup.

Which trims did you sit in (hatchback)? Did you sit in the back? Are the rear headrests adjustable? Do you have to raise them to sit confortable? They are definitelly different from the EU version based on the pictures and I know I had to raise them in the EU car.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2010, 09:15:37 am by carcrazy »

Offline wing

• Big Wig
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Drivesideways
« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2010, 09:16:25 am »
Our timeline was so tight I barely had time to get photos!  I sat in the back for a second maybe but didn't play with the headrests.  I only drive the hatchback in both manual an auto form.

Offline Dante

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 26, 2010, 09:26:47 am »

The only things that leave me unimpressed are the useless chrome surrounds around the LED 'fog lights' that look positively cheap, and I wish the SES model had sportier 5-spoke alloys rather than sharing the relatively pedestrian design of the other models.

I have exactlly the same issues, but they are fixable.

As MKII mentioned, black bezels for the LED lights are available. I don't like the 16" alloy design either and I don't think I want the 17" option although I like the design, plus they are $2000.

There are many choices available in EU so I will be buying a set from there if I decide to go for the Fiesta. I hope the bolt pattern is the same so the EU wheels would fit.
Now I'm tempted by the 16" 15-spoke design.

Again, if I decide to go for the Fiesta (vs Focus/Golf), my choice would be SES hatch in Magenta with the following mods:
1. Add armrest
2. Remove chrome bezel around the gearshifter or replace with silver painted or black/grey.
3. Replace chrome LED bezel with black (or paint body color)
4. Replace the 16" alloy with 15-spoke EU design.

« Last Edit: April 26, 2010, 09:28:38 am by carcrazy »

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +707/-12389
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Hyundai Genesis 3.8 AWD, 2016 Honda Fit EX-L Navi, 2019 Genesis G80 3.3t Sport, 2021 Honda CB650R, 2023 Honda Monkey
« Reply #15 on: April 26, 2010, 09:59:42 am »
All I can say is that this looks to be a SERIOUSLY well thought out entry.  Looks great inside and out and seems to drive great as well.  While the bright neon colours make for dramatic photography, I do hope it is at least offered in some saner tones as well.  Lime green, explosive orange and nuclear lemon yellow might be fun for a couple months, but beyond that, I'm not sure.

And while it is laudable that Ford has offered a class-exclusive DSG-type 6-speed gearbox, I can't help but feel that the manual drivers have been short changed with a 5 speed only.  No doubt this explains the better fuel economy rating of the auto versus manual.

No question that this is a terrific job by Ford.  If it sells well (and it certainly should) then perhaps we can look forward to more transplanted (and not "dumbed down" Euro models in the future.

Jaeger
Wokeism is nothing more than the recognition and opposition of bigotry in all its forms.  Bigots are predictably triggered.

RnR

« Reply #16 on: April 26, 2010, 10:11:55 am »
The only caution in the statement that the Fiesta starts off less than it does in the US is that the Fiesta pricing is $12,999 + Freight of about $1,400 in Canada = $14,400, while the $13,320 price in the US includes Freight and it also includes air conditioning. You can't get air in Canada until you step up to the $16,000 + Freight SE price level = $17,400. So, I'd hardly call this "underneath the US positioning".

Offline toolatecrew

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +16/-25
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2013 Ford Focus Titanium 5 speed with Handling Pack, 2007 Nissan Senta 6 speed
« Reply #17 on: April 26, 2010, 10:12:53 am »
I'm really excited about this car and the upcoming Focus.

Hatchbacks are where its at as far as I'm concernered in this segment. I'm really hoping ofr one of these used in a couple years as the replacment for our 2nd car which will be 12 years old by then. Ford has been doing well in quality latley and if they can carry it over here I can't see why they wouldn't be competing with the Fit for top dog in this segment.

I agree with some comments above..I wish Ford would stop providing that horrible green color for press photos.

Offline sirAQUAMAN64

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +8/-54
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2001 VW Golf TDI 3Dr 5MT, 2007 VW Golf GTI 6MT, 2008 Saturn Astra XR 5Dr 4AT, 2010 VW Golf Wagon TDI 6MT, 2014 Chevrolet Orlando 2LT
« Reply #18 on: April 26, 2010, 10:23:55 am »
Really love the styling, content, seats, pricing is okay but starts high for the hatch - options list is fantastic though, sportiness/economy, etc... but there are three things that bug me. 1, some of the options look like afterthoughts onto a car originally designed for a price, such as the heated seat button on the side of the seat, etc. 2, along with being busy some of the interior bits are cheap... but that's to be expected at this price and think they do beat most competitors. 3, it's just too small in the rear seat (adequate up front). Know it's a subcompact but it really is confining. For a couple or short drivers it'd be fine, but I couldn't downsize to this and was wishing I could. Hatch space is again adequate. And man that sedan looks awkward with its' rear in the air.

If it rides as well, as quiet, and returns the fuel economy stated none of the above will matter.

When I think about the other entries in this segment, Fiesta's at the head of the class unless you really do need the interior space of the Fit or want an under $15K hatch.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2010, 10:42:00 am by sirAQUAMAN64 »
AQUAMAN64 also posts on DriverBlogs.com!

Offline Dante

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 26, 2010, 10:33:52 am »
I was reading the Fiesta reviews on other websites and boy oh boy, they have some inept comments. Overall, they are all positive reviews, but still.

MT states that the interior is unchanged from the EU car - hell, I don't think there is any major piece that hasn't changed: dash, door panels, seats, floor console. They look similar to the untrained eye, but to a jurnalist that supposedlly sat in the EU car?
The Automobile Magazine states the engine is 1.5L... Duh....