Author Topic: Preview: 2011 Chevrolet Cruze  (Read 25486 times)

Canada Stig

Re: Preview: 2011 Chevrolet Cruze
« Reply #40 on: April 28, 2010, 08:49:14 am »
Many would argue that "the good old days of Honda" are now the "good new days of Mazda and Ford".  Let's face it, cars like the Fiesta, new Focus, Fusion, the Mazda 2,3, and 6 (I know, the mazdas are just Ford clones...but follow along) are what Honda used to be before it started catering to the Canada Pension crowd.

Even the Fit, which is certainly the most interesting car they sell, is outclassed in almost every way by the Fiesta - except in cargo room, which really means "practicality"

I lived in the UK and still am a big fan of TopGear (see my avatar) - when I lived there, and more so now, has a reputation in Europe of being an old person's car - reliable and practical, but dull as dishwater.  Something like a Buick I guess.  I think they've hit that stride here now (ditto Toyota)

Will GM go down this road too?  With this Cruze, all signs point to YES.

CatsEye68

« Reply #41 on: April 28, 2010, 09:05:40 am »
Which sums it up, really. This isn't a car for the enthusiast minority. Instead it's carefully targeted and subtly developed for people who want a good value car that'll look after them without constantly asserting its character on them.

together with an archaic rubber cam timing belt.

Which is, of course, a design characteristic made popular by the Japanese, along with roof rail filler strips and mouse-fur gray interiors. You thought those were great, didn't you?

Offline Ontariodriver

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +39/-239
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 28, 2010, 09:51:00 am »
I guess it is all a matter of taste. I find the Cruze to be as stylish and tasteful a car

Well it does have bangle lines and if this was 2006 then it would be OK. But yes taste is subjective.  :)

I lived in the UK and still am a big fan of TopGear (see my avatar) - when I lived there, and more so now, has a reputation in Europe of being an old person's car

Honda have always been the Buick of the UK. I don't get it. How many old people drive the round space-age looking Civic.

Canada Stig

« Reply #43 on: April 28, 2010, 10:21:39 am »
Not so much the Civic ( a really cool design in Europe - why not here??) but definately the Accord (the Acura TSX here), the Accord Wagon, the CRV, the HRV, and most definately the Jazz (Fit) are old people cars in Europe.  They just aren't on the radar of those under the age of 60.

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +298/-675
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Taos
« Reply #44 on: April 28, 2010, 10:32:36 am »
Not so much the Civic ( a really cool design in Europe - why not here??) but definitely the Accord (the Acura TSX here), the Accord Wagon, the CRV, the HRV, and most definately the Jazz (Fit) are old people cars in Europe.  They just aren't on the radar of those under the age of 60.
Many of the cars in the EU which would be on the radar of the under 60s are not sold here.  (yet)

The faster Focii, Polo GTi, fast Renaults, Alfas, Fiats, etc etc.
The EU model of the FIT ( Jazz) comes with an anemic 1.2 IIRC. The 1.5 is not available there.
The most radical revolutionary will become a conservative the day after the revolution.

Offline drederick

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +0/-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: April 28, 2010, 11:17:48 am »
Which sums it up, really. This isn't a car for the enthusiast minority. Instead it's carefully targeted and subtly developed for people who want a good value car that'll look after them without constantly asserting its character on them.

together with an archaic rubber cam timing belt.  Just going by the review.  Still can't really believe that.  Must be an error.  ??? 

Rubber cam timing belt? What will GM think of next? Maybe they need to learn from the clear market leader and just make this 'Cruze' thing with a 4 speed auto like the ahead of the curve in every way Corolla!

Its clearly evident that if Toyota uses 4speed autos in their cars they are the best compared to the 'archaic' 6speed autos GM is going to offer.

Toyota show GM the true way!
blah blah blah Toyota blah blah blah I feel your pain; you've got a GM, it's worth squat and you owe on it. 

Dude, if the displacment is EXACT, it's not "all new".  The intake is different, the VVT is now on both sets of valves  In the automotive world "all new" often means somewhat different

Jack1059

« Reply #46 on: April 28, 2010, 06:27:07 pm »
Yeah look. I rented one in Australia and drove quite a few kays headed to a job site I had to go to. It was the worst car I've ever driven since 1980 or so. I'm not anti or pro anybody, I read the reviews and had high expectations of the car. But the interior was plasticky and squeaked. The transmission couldnt figure out what it was doing and constantly searched for a gear, unless your were steady on a speed. I suspect this was because the highway gearing was so high, that trying to pass someone meant the car had to downgear through quite a few gears before getting to something decent. Then it revved like I'd floored it until I passed and went through the gears again until settling into its cruise gear. I honestly thought I'd gotten a diesel car, until I had to refuel it. I was shocked at how bad it was given the rave reviews the auto press had given it, and can only guess that the auto press got bought by GM to swoon over it, as the gaps I experienced were simply too large to be missed by anyone.

Mitlov

« Reply #47 on: April 28, 2010, 07:37:38 pm »
Did I read this right?  a timing belt in the 1.8  :o

I thought the industry had moved past rubber cam belts.  :nono:

Doesn't the Tundra 4.7L use a timing belt?

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +310/-6812
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Hobby Car: 15 Mustang Vert, V6, manual, 3.55 lsd; 2024 MDX Aspec; 2022 F150 TREMOR lifted
« Reply #48 on: April 29, 2010, 12:17:29 am »
Did I read this right?  a timing belt in the 1.8  :o

I thought the industry had moved past rubber cam belts.  :nono:

Doesn't the Tundra 4.7L use a timing belt?

In the PAST, yes.  Currently, NO    :)

Offline Ice

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +15/-25
  • 2009 Corolla XRS
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: April 29, 2010, 06:48:15 pm »
Well you HAVE been drinking the GM cool-aid since they announced the "repaid" loans..... ;D

What are the odds of you fitting in a Cruze??
Well it is larger than the Corolla... it's classed as a mid-size by the EPA apparently.

Offline Erik

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +60/-374
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2000 Honda Insight
« Reply #50 on: April 30, 2010, 12:29:26 am »
Well you HAVE been drinking the GM cool-aid since they announced the "repaid" loans..... ;D

Well it is larger than the Corolla... it's classed as a mid-size by the EPA apparently.

Just to clarify what I said above, the seat travel on the Cruze is incredible. I stand 6'4, and with the seat all the way back, it was a stretch to operate the pedals. For the first time in forever, I actually had to move the seat forward to be able to fit comfortably.
"The car is the closest thing we will ever create to something that is alive." - Sir William Lyons

Offline sirAQUAMAN64

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +8/-54
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2001 VW Golf TDI 3Dr 5MT, 2007 VW Golf GTI 6MT, 2008 Saturn Astra XR 5Dr 4AT, 2010 VW Golf Wagon TDI 6MT, 2014 Chevrolet Orlando 2LT
« Reply #51 on: April 30, 2010, 11:23:02 am »

Just to clarify what I said above, the seat travel on the Cruze is incredible. I stand 6'4, and with the seat all the way back, it was a stretch to operate the pedals. For the first time in forever, I actually had to move the seat forward to be able to fit comfortably.

True. While the seat itself is less comfortable than the Golf IMO, it basically has the same seat travel which is refreshing to see for taller folks like us, being 6-4 as well.
AQUAMAN64 also posts on DriverBlogs.com!

Offline Ice

• Drunk on Fuel
  • 2009 Corolla XRS
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: April 30, 2010, 06:24:48 pm »

True. While the seat itself is less comfortable than the Golf IMO, it basically has the same seat travel which is refreshing to see for taller folks like us, being 6-4 as well.
I'm only 5'11 here and I find some cars are difficult to be comfortable in... it must be a nightmare for some of you 6'4.

John Doe

« Reply #53 on: May 01, 2010, 10:28:25 am »

TIMING BELT =  DEAL BREAKER  >:(

Offline Rupert

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +49/-160
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: May 01, 2010, 10:47:53 am »
It depends on the belt chosen. I can't say that this car generates the same degree of enthusiasm in me as the Fiesta does. They are different in size though. Did the article say where these are to be built.

It's good to see the smaller Fiesta getting more raves here.

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +310/-6812
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Hobby Car: 15 Mustang Vert, V6, manual, 3.55 lsd; 2024 MDX Aspec; 2022 F150 TREMOR lifted
« Reply #55 on: May 02, 2010, 08:20:55 pm »
It depends on the belt chosen.

Belt motors aren't a problem for the first owner.  The belt issues; numerous roller bearing, tensioner bearings, water pump bearing, become an issue for owners around year 8.  Consequently, the resale will be quite poor in the wholesale market because virtually all the companies have moved away from this technology and this motor will draw attention.

If this engine is a non interference motor then that will help somewhat.  Must be a recycled Daweoo design they are using temporarily.

Offline Ice

• Drunk on Fuel
  • 2009 Corolla XRS
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: May 02, 2010, 09:15:04 pm »
It depends on the belt chosen. I can't say that this car generates the same degree of enthusiasm in me as the Fiesta does. They are different in size though. Did the article say where these are to be built.

It's good to see the smaller Fiesta getting more raves here.
Totally different class of vehicle.  The Chevy competitor will be the next gen Aveo (we've seen the Aveo RS concept so far).

The Cruze will be up against the 2012 Focus, Civic, Corolla, Mazda3, etc.  So far the Cruze seems to be the bigger more comfortable one... or at least aimed that way.  So trying to take on the Corolla.  The Focus will be more of a Mazda3 or perhaps Civic competitor.

Offline D70

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +13/-153
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 1990 Mazda Miata
« Reply #57 on: August 01, 2010, 02:23:13 pm »
Yeah look. I rented one in Australia and drove quite a few kays headed to a job site I had to go to. It was the worst car I've ever driven since 1980 or so. I'm not anti or pro anybody, I read the reviews and had high expectations of the car. But the interior was plasticky and squeaked. The transmission couldnt figure out what it was doing and constantly searched for a gear, unless your were steady on a speed. I suspect this was because the highway gearing was so high, that trying to pass someone meant the car had to downgear through quite a few gears before getting to something decent. Then it revved like I'd floored it until I passed and went through the gears again until settling into its cruise gear. I honestly thought I'd gotten a diesel car, until I had to refuel it. I was shocked at how bad it was given the rave reviews the auto press had given it, and can only guess that the auto press got bought by GM to swoon over it, as the gaps I experienced were simply too large to be missed by anyone.

I'm afraid that most people who buy GM cars in this category are buying as they would an appliance i.e on price.

They get good transportation for a bargain.

The Cavalier and Optima sell well because of good dealer saturation, advertising and competitive pricing.

Australia is a tough place to sell cars and tougher to drive them.There are far fewer makes and models there compared to most countries because its tough.

The down under Cruze  has been around for a while see photo

http://www.flickr.com/photos/d70w7/4850187436/

While its raced in England, very successfully, it will be interesting to see how well it does in Canada and the USA