Author Topic: Preview: 2011 Chevrolet Cruze  (Read 25484 times)

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +298/-675
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Taos
Re: Preview: 2011 Chevrolet Cruze
« Reply #20 on: April 27, 2010, 05:52:55 am »
... but the aging 'boomers will be looking for something competent, traditional, reliable and...kind of plain. Maybe 'boring' is the newest niche, there's an interesting thought.

Actually aging boomers don't tend to buy boring cars as they (me) don't want to feel old. Remember the salesman's adage "You can sell a young person's car to an old person, but you can't sell an old person's car to a young person.."

Exactly right!    Being in ones '60s is bad enough without having to drive a Toyota Cruze.
The most radical revolutionary will become a conservative the day after the revolution.

Offline overtakeyouintheleftlane

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +2/-0
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2003 Pontiac Grand AM (sent for scrap), 2006 Subaru Impreza Wagon (sold) and a 2015 Hyundai Santa Fe Sport, 2017 Hyundai Accent GL sedan
« Reply #21 on: April 27, 2010, 01:58:05 pm »
I dunno, doesn't appeal to me. Engine is too small = too slow/noisy. I would rather pay more for gas for the extra passing power and acceleration ability.

I don't believe American car companies in general make good small cars. They are good for mid-large cars, trucks, etc. Small cars is not their strength. I would rather take a Japanese or Korean car if I want a small car.

Offline Erik

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +60/-374
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2000 Honda Insight
« Reply #22 on: April 27, 2010, 02:19:05 pm »
I dunno, doesn't appeal to me. Engine is too small = too slow/noisy. I would rather pay more for gas for the extra passing power and acceleration ability.

I don't believe American car companies in general make good small cars. They are good for mid-large cars, trucks, etc. Small cars is not their strength. I would rather take a Japanese or Korean car if I want a small car.

I missed your road test of the car.  ;D

What were you comparing it to when you said it was too slow/noisy?
"The car is the closest thing we will ever create to something that is alive." - Sir William Lyons

Offline Erik

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 27, 2010, 02:20:40 pm »
This review was posted about the same time as the Fiesta review.  The Fiesta review has 43 comments so far; this has five.  And that, I think, is the Cruze's problem.  While it might be competent and pleasant, nobody is actually excited about it.

Or that could be just a problem with this forum and a new GM product. :)

Offline overtakeyouintheleftlane

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +2/-0
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2003 Pontiac Grand AM (sent for scrap), 2006 Subaru Impreza Wagon (sold) and a 2015 Hyundai Santa Fe Sport, 2017 Hyundai Accent GL sedan
« Reply #24 on: April 27, 2010, 02:22:42 pm »
Just small cars in general in my experience, when the engine is small it's too slow to get up to highway speeds quickly, passing power sucks and the engines are just louder. Not my cup of tea.

What small cars have been good from the big 3? I believe the Focus was worth considering if I were to consider a small American car, however that strength lies with Japanese/Korean car companies.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2010, 02:24:34 pm by overtakeyouintheleftlane »

Canada Stig

« Reply #25 on: April 27, 2010, 02:22:59 pm »
This car has been in Europe for a while - I think this UK review says it all.  An OK car if you want cheap motoring and don't love driving.  Sort of like...a Cobalt...a Cavalier...  Sorry, compared to the Fiesta and Focus coming from Ford, can't see this one winning too many Civic/Corolla/Golf owners over.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/motoring/carreviews/smallcars/5686651/Chevrolet-Cruze-review.html

Offline Erik

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 27, 2010, 02:28:41 pm »
This car has been in Europe for a while - I think this UK review says it all.  An OK car if you want cheap motoring and don't love driving.  Sort of like...a Cobalt...a Cavalier...  

Or a Corolla.... :)

From the test you linked:

Which sums it up, really. This isn't a car for the enthusiast minority. Instead it's carefully targeted and subtly developed for people who want a good value car that'll look after them without constantly asserting its character on them.

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +310/-6812
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Hobby Car: 15 Mustang Vert, V6, manual, 3.55 lsd; 2024 MDX Aspec; 2022 F150 TREMOR lifted
« Reply #27 on: April 27, 2010, 07:50:32 pm »
Which sums it up, really. This isn't a car for the enthusiast minority. Instead it's carefully targeted and subtly developed for people who want a good value car that'll look after them without constantly asserting its character on them.

together with an archaic rubber cam timing belt.  Just going by the review.  Still can't really believe that.  Must be an error.  ??? 

Offline Ontariodriver

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +39/-239
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 27, 2010, 11:17:38 pm »
Is me or does GM always just seem to just miss the mark. GM's cobalt/Pursuit/G5 were decent but dated quickly. The Ion I never understood the thinking there. It's shame really tho. This car should have come out 3-5 years ago and a similar design to volt should really be the next gen Cruze IMO. Oh well I guess these cars will sell mostly to rental fleets and private buys with heavy discount. The back end looks cheap too IMO. I'm sure it will be a decent non wow product.

Offline Erik

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 27, 2010, 11:20:48 pm »
Is me or does GM always just seem to just miss the mark. GM's cobalt/Pursuit/G5 were decent but dated quickly. The Ion I never understood the thinking there. It's shame really tho. This car should have come out 3-5 years ago and a similar design to volt should really be the next gen Cruze IMO. Oh well I guess these cars will sell mostly to rental fleets and private buys with heavy discount. The back end looks cheap too IMO. I'm sure it will be a decent non wow product.

Don't sell it short before you sit in it. Likely the most comfortable small car all 6'4 of my has ever been in. Loads of room. And, oh joy of bliss, lots of high quality interior plastics. MUCH nicer interior than the new Corolla I was just in.

Offline Zoo

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +1/-0
  • Always hungry..
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2006 HHR, 2007 Yaris, 1981 CB 750 Custom
« Reply #30 on: April 27, 2010, 11:26:34 pm »
Interesting... I sat in the Cruze at the Toronto Auto Show and it was loaded to the max; leather seats and all.

I thought it seemed like a nice car but until I test drive one or rent one for a weekend I will reserve judgement on it.

I sat in a pre-production version at the Calgary Auto Show and was underwhelmed by the interior and very plain exterior. That car had tiny little alloy wheels that appeared to be 14" in size and purchased from the local Canadian Tire. Happily, in these pictures, the Cruze looks very handsome, especially the interior. It does bear a striking resemblance to the Acura CSX from behind though.

I think the 1.4 turbo is going to be a big draw in this class. While horsepower numbers are so-so, that fat torque band, available so low in the rev range, will make these car very nimble, especially around town. Add to that the expected high fuel economy, and the current sales leaders (Civic, Corolla, Mazda3) are going to gave some serious competition.

Offline Zoo

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +1/-0
  • Always hungry..
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2006 HHR, 2007 Yaris, 1981 CB 750 Custom
« Reply #31 on: April 27, 2010, 11:29:27 pm »
Interesting comments...

At the Toronto Auto Show the Fiesta was very well promoted and it was almost impossible to walk past the Ford booth without noticing the signage for the Fiesta. The Cruze was almost hidden at the G.M. booth. It was parked on the other side of a display wall with no signage calling attention to it. Because I am interested in smaller cars I noticed that it was not a Cobalt and took a closer look. Nice car but very unfortunate that it was so poorly displayed there.

This review was posted about the same time as the Fiesta review.  The Fiesta review has 43 comments so far; this has five.  And that, I think, is the Cruze's problem.  While it might be competent and pleasant, nobody is actually excited about it.
For me, Jil's review did not tell me want I'd want to know about the car. Wing's review told me stuff about the Fiesta that I am interested in.   Also there is nothing apart from a picture on GM Canada's website whereas Ford has a full build and price.

Soooooooooooooooooooooo  the Cruze is just vaporware for now.

I think the point is that Ford has done a much better job generating "buzz" about the new Fiesta. Until reading this article I would have been hard pressing to even recall the name of the new GM.

Offline Ontariodriver

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +39/-239
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 27, 2010, 11:34:04 pm »
Don't sell it short before you sit in it.

I think the outside design is really important it's becoming more and more paramount. Just look what is coming. The Ford Focus looks fab. The Civic is dating nicely. If the Accent is anything go by the Elantra is going to look pretty nice. I think the Cruze just misses the mark. I'm sure I feel like a majority of people. The outside design is really important and it is what gets you inside the car. This car has it's work cut out and it's discounting that will be bring people in to try this car. The Focus is what people will want. It looks good. should drives great. Going by the NA MK1 and 2 and looks decent even in the Interior that you won't bother coming back to Cruze unless price really is what talks to you.

Offline Erik

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 27, 2010, 11:35:43 pm »
Don't sell it short before you sit in it.

I think the outside design is really important it's becoming more and more paramount. Just look what is coming. The Ford Focus looks fab. The Civic is dating nicely. If the Accent is anything go by the Elantra is going to look pretty nice. I think the Cruze just misses the mark. I'm sure I feel like a majority of people. The outside design is really important and it is what gets you inside the car. This car has it's work cut out and it's discounting that will be bring people in to try this car. The Focus is what people will want. It looks good. should drives great. Going by the NA MK1 and 2 and looks decent even in the Interior that you won't bother coming back to Cruze unless price really is what talk to you.

I guess it is all a matter of taste. I find the Cruze to be as stylish and tasteful a car as can be found in the class. I like the simple clean lines. I do not like the Hyundai Sonata ish over done styling with lots of lumps and bumps and folds that go no where.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7210
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 27, 2010, 11:38:10 pm »
^^So you must like the Corolla then?
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline Erik

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 27, 2010, 11:45:38 pm »
^^So you must like the Corolla then?

Ummm, let me think about that.....
NO!

It has crap quality interior plastics, and you all know how important that is to me. I DON'T fit into it, which is a MAJOR issue. And it is dull to look at. Nothing stylish an tasteful about a Corolla. TO be honest, I don't know the last time I saw a Corolla that was stylish and tasteful. Bland and uninspired is usually how they look.

Their have been some great Corollas tho. I would put this homely looking thing in the top ten best cars EVER made:

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 27, 2010, 11:48:53 pm »
Well you did say "I like the simple clean lines" which the Corolla certainly is.  I mean..if the Cruze is  "stylish and tasteful" as can be for the class, the Corolla has to be right up there.  Seriously...the Cruze and Corolla are both a bit dull to look at IMO and are nowhere near as nice as what can be found in the class....

Offline Erik

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 27, 2010, 11:56:51 pm »
And here I think it is damn fine looking. Has to be the upmarket one with the big wheels tho.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 28, 2010, 12:04:04 am »
Well you HAVE been drinking the GM cool-aid since they announced the "repaid" loans..... ;D

What are the odds of you fitting in a Cruze??

Offline Erik

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 28, 2010, 02:02:33 am »
Well you HAVE been drinking the GM cool-aid since they announced the "repaid" loans..... ;D

What are the odds of you fitting in a Cruze??

One of the things i LOVED about the Cruze was the legroom. It the first car since my Old Mercedes where I had to move the seat forward to be able to comfortably operate the pedals. I don't remember the last time I was as comfortable in a car anywhere near the size. (The old CRX had lots of legroom too. Ah, the good old days of Honda!)