Author Topic: Preview: 2011 Chevrolet Cruze  (Read 25510 times)

Offline Autos_Editor

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +91/-560
    • View Profile
Preview: 2011 Chevrolet Cruze
« on: April 26, 2010, 04:04:32 am »

On sale later this year, the 2011 Chevrolet Cruze is "going to shake up a compact segment that's generally been the domain of the imports," says Assistant Editor Jil McIntosh. "It's a mini-Malibu," she says, "and that's a good thing."

Read More...

vgtech

Re: Preview: 2011 Chevrolet Cruze
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2010, 08:50:16 am »
Thanks for the article on what is such an important new car for GM. It is refreshing to see a journalist use the easier-to-understand MPG along with the metric equivalent. Speaking of fuel economy, 48mpg highway and 32 mpg city is what the Cobalt achieves and is nowwhere close to hybrid numbers. Perhaps there is an error.

CDF

« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2010, 10:29:38 am »
I sat in a pre-production version at the Calgary Auto Show and was underwhelmed by the interior and very plain exterior. That car had tiny little alloy wheels that appeared to be 14" in size and purchased from the local Canadian Tire. Happily, in these pictures, the Cruze looks very handsome, especially the interior. It does bear a striking resemblance to the Acura CSX from behind though.

I think the 1.4 turbo is going to be a big draw in this class. While horsepower numbers are so-so, that fat torque band, available so low in the rev range, will make these car very nimble, especially around town. Add to that the expected high fuel economy, and the current sales leaders (Civic, Corolla, Mazda3) are going to gave some serious competition.

Offline sirAQUAMAN64

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +8/-54
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2001 VW Golf TDI 3Dr 5MT, 2007 VW Golf GTI 6MT, 2008 Saturn Astra XR 5Dr 4AT, 2010 VW Golf Wagon TDI 6MT, 2014 Chevrolet Orlando 2LT
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2010, 10:48:58 am »
As the author wrote, the Cruze has very generous seat travel which even I was surprised at - VW Golf-like with tonnes of room for long legged drivers. Think the size of the vehicle overall, being a bit bigger, is near perfect for many.

As boring as it looked at first, it is growing on me. The photos of the black model with larger alloys and a dash of chrome really help.

I'm hoping the 1.4L provides the fuel economy / driveability compromise that's lacking in gas 4-cyls currently found in diesels.

But, where's my hatch or wagon variant?!
« Last Edit: April 26, 2010, 10:51:29 am by sirAQUAMAN64 »
AQUAMAN64 also posts on DriverBlogs.com!

aknutson

« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2010, 12:17:24 pm »
The black car in the photos with what I am assuming is an uplevel trim (probably LTZ) looks quite handsome, but I think some of the other manufacturers are doing a better job of pushing the boundaries - i.e. 2012 Focus, new Hyundai styling, etc. That being said, I'm sure it will be another progressive step forward for GM in this segment. I remember the vast difference between the Cavalier and the Cobalt, so if this is again that much better than a Cobalt, it will be a sure bet for the masses.

Offline Spec5

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +8/-30
  • Give me 3 pedals or no pedals!
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 1987 Pontiac Firebird, 1999 Pontiac Sunfire GT, 1992 Ford Taurus SHO, 1989 Pontiac Bonneville, 2003 Nissan Sentra SE-R Spec V, 2007 Hyundai Tucson, 2012 Honda Odyssey EX, 2016 Honda CRV SE
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2010, 01:45:30 pm »
Looks like a really sharp little car to me. I've been pretty pessimistic about this vehicles release but this is the first time I've seen good photos of it and I must say it looks very nice indeed. The interior looks very Malibuesque which is a good thing. Hopefully it will continue to surprise!

I'm a little bit surprised that they're going to offer 2 more vehicles under this one.
My other Honda is an MP4-31!

Mitlov

« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2010, 01:47:02 pm »
This review was posted about the same time as the Fiesta review.  The Fiesta review has 43 comments so far; this has five.  And that, I think, is the Cruze's problem.  While it might be competent and pleasant, nobody is actually excited about it.

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +298/-675
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Taos
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2010, 01:56:23 pm »
This review was posted about the same time as the Fiesta review.  The Fiesta review has 43 comments so far; this has five.  And that, I think, is the Cruze's problem.  While it might be competent and pleasant, nobody is actually excited about it.
For me, Jil's review did not tell me want I'd want to know about the car. Wing's review told me stuff about the Fiesta that I am interested in.   Also there is nothing apart from a picture on GM Canada's website whereas Ford has a full build and price.

Soooooooooooooooooooooo  the Cruze is just vaporware for now.
The most radical revolutionary will become a conservative the day after the revolution.

Offline chrischasescars

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +19/-31
  • The Voice of Reason
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2010, 02:04:14 pm »
Thanks for the article on what is such an important new car for GM. It is refreshing to see a journalist use the easier-to-understand MPG along with the metric equivalent. Speaking of fuel economy, 48mpg highway and 32 mpg city is what the Cobalt achieves and is nowwhere close to hybrid numbers. Perhaps there is an error.

There's no error; Jil's quoted what GM told her.
I used to work here.

Offline sailor723

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +416/-1000
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '17 BMW X5 Xdrive35i, '11 BMW 328iXdrive,
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2010, 02:46:42 pm »
For me, Jil's review did not tell me want I'd want to know about the car. Wing's review told me stuff about the Fiesta that I am interested in.   Also there is nothing apart from a picture on GM Canada's website whereas Ford has a full build and price.

Soooooooooooooooooooooo  the Cruze is just vaporware for now.

I think the point is that Ford has done a much better job generating "buzz" about the new Fiesta. Until reading this article I would have been hard pressing to even recall the name of the new GM.
Old Jag convertible...one itch I won't have to scratch again.

Offline Dante

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +33/-97
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 VW GTI DSG, 2011 BMW 328i xDrive 6MT, 2007 Mitsubishi Outlander
« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2010, 02:53:59 pm »
There is nothing exciting really about this car as I believe GM did not mean to make it exciting at all, just a Corolla fighter.
On the other hand, Ford made every effort to make the Fiesta a stand-out car in its segment and get people excited about it.

Offline toolatecrew

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +16/-25
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2013 Ford Focus Titanium 5 speed with Handling Pack, 2007 Nissan Senta 6 speed
« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2010, 03:48:45 pm »
The Cruze is just a Volt without the fancy powertrain isn't it?

Its just my theory but its seems that a lot of the reasources, hype etc that should go to a volume seller like the Cruze have been diverted to the Volt. For Ford the Fiesta and Focus will be front and center. That's what the excitment will be.

The Cruze almost seems an afterthought while GM waits for the Volt (and their IPO)

hemusbull

« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2010, 03:54:38 pm »
This car is poised to have just mediocre success, I think. It is far from the generations of (European) Fiestas' culture coming finally in North America. It is not comparable with Corollas/Civics in term name's image, as well. Simply one more GM semi-fake product (at least this one is not rebadged Daewoo or Suzuki). But it could begin new tradition in building domestic small car - something GM never did successfully. The second issue in my mind is the expected reliabilty - traditional weak point of GM small cars. And not the last one is the fun factor - if they do not take on board younger people from Civics and Mazda3s there willd be just limited sales. And sales are vital for the small vehicles with thin profit margin.

Offline toolatecrew

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2013 Ford Focus Titanium 5 speed with Handling Pack, 2007 Nissan Senta 6 speed
« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2010, 03:59:15 pm »
This car is poised to have just mediocre success, I think. It is far from the generations of (European) Fiestas' culture coming finally in North America. It is not comparable with Corollas/Civics in term name's image, as well. Simply one more GM semi-fake product (at least this one is not rebadged Daewoo or Suzuki). But it could begin new tradition in building domestic small car - something GM never did successfully. The second issue in my mind is the expected reliabilty - traditional weak point of GM small cars. And not the last one is the fun factor - if they do not take on board younger people from Civics and Mazda3s there willd be just limited sales. And sales are vital for the small vehicles with thin profit margin.

I don't think they are aiming at "fun factor". I think this is squarley aimed at Corrola and to an extent Civic. The idea is to give a midsized "feel" kind of a mini Malibu at a compact price with compact economy. The Malibu certainly would never be called fun buts its a good car. I expect its selling points to be that its roomy, quiet, doesn't feel like a penalty box and isn't expensive.

aknutson

« Reply #14 on: April 26, 2010, 04:09:10 pm »
I think leaving out any kind of wagon/hatchlet is a signal that GM is not intending for this to be a sporty number. It is just an American (and Canadian) bread-and-butter sedan, and that might not be a bad thing. There are so many excellent compact, sporty hatches out there that anybody in the market has a veritable smorgasbord of choices, but the aging 'boomers will be looking for something competent, traditional, reliable and...kind of plain. Maybe 'boring' is the newest niche, there's an interesting thought.

Offline Seafoam

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +89/-202
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 26, 2010, 08:46:51 pm »
 I think it will sell well. Atleast as good as the Cobalt and G5 that it replaces ,which sold really well in Canada.
One thing I am curious about though. Why is everyone comparing it to the fiesta ? The fiesta competes with the accent,fit yaris does it not?
2023 Honda Civic EX-B
2004 Mazdaspeed Miata

Offline toolatecrew

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 26, 2010, 09:29:35 pm »
I think it will sell well. Atleast as good as the Cobalt and G5 that it replaces ,which sold really well in Canada.
One thing I am curious about though. Why is everyone comparing it to the fiesta ? The fiesta competes with the accent,fit yaris does it not?

Those Cobalt G5 sales really need to be taken with a grain of salt unless one wants to totally ignore the large number sold to fleets/rental car compaines and the incentive dollars used to sell the rest.

The market dynamic is very different now. All indications is that they expect this to sell on its merits at higher prices than Cobalt.

Offline sacrat

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +21/-64
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2018 Ford Escape Titanium; 2014 Ford Fusion Titanium AWD;2014 Hyundai Elantra GL ; 2012 Infiniti G37X
« Reply #17 on: April 26, 2010, 10:50:54 pm »
... but the aging 'boomers will be looking for something competent, traditional, reliable and...kind of plain. Maybe 'boring' is the newest niche, there's an interesting thought.

Actually aging boomers don't tend to buy boring cars as they (me) don't want to feel old. Remember the salesman's adage "You can sell a young person's car to an old person, but you can't sell an old person's car to a young person.."
Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity. Martin Luther King, Jr.

Offline sacrat

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +21/-64
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2018 Ford Escape Titanium; 2014 Ford Fusion Titanium AWD;2014 Hyundai Elantra GL ; 2012 Infiniti G37X
« Reply #18 on: April 26, 2010, 11:04:20 pm »
the Cruze looks very handsome, especially the interior. It does bear a striking resemblance to the Acura CSX from behind though.

I think the 1.4 turbo is going to be a big draw in this class. While horsepower numbers are so-so, that fat torque band, available so low in the rev range, will make these car very nimble, especially around town.

I noticed those CSX tailights right away , but then decided that the back view looks nice enough.

I also think that GM salesmen will be wise to let potential customers test drive this thing before mentioning the engine size. Many buyers will associate small displacement with negative memories of older underpowered small cars

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +310/-6812
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Hobby Car: 15 Mustang Vert, V6, manual, 3.55 lsd; 2024 MDX Aspec; 2022 F150 TREMOR lifted
« Reply #19 on: April 27, 2010, 01:49:21 am »
The base LS uses a 1.8-litre four-cylinder, which I didn’t get to drive (the vehicles at the event were pre-production models, and the company said no LS models are available yet), with a choice of six-speed manual or six-speed automatic transmission. Its tentative specs are 136 horsepower and 123 lb-ft of torque.

The powerplant is a combination of fuel- and cost-effectiveness: a cast-iron block, used to keep the cost and vibration down, is small enough that its weight isn’t a problem; dual variable valve timing, a variable-displacement oil pump and an electronic thermostat improve efficiency; weight savings include a composite-material intake manifold and hollow camshaft; a timing chain reduces maintenance (the 1.8-litre uses a belt), as do long-life spark plugs and coolant; and while direct injection may have added even more of an edge, the Cruze’s sequential-port system saves money in a segment where cost is everything.

Did I read this right?  a timing belt in the 1.8  :o

I thought the industry had moved past rubber cam belts.  :nono:

GM needs to bring this vehicle to market with ONE engine.  Just make it the right one, the first time.  They went down this road with the current gen Malibu offering a 4 speed transmission or an upgrade to a six speed mated to the same engine.  The 4 speed is crap and the 6 speed works well, but it's very confusing to buyers and doesn't do the name plate any favours.