Author Topic: 2011 Hyundai Elantra  (Read 133724 times)

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1255/-7215
    • View Profile
Re: 2011 Hyundai Elantra
« Reply #440 on: February 23, 2011, 02:31:58 am »
I find it hard to believe the wait would be any different at another dealership, because they'd just have to order it as well.

No true at all!!  Very wrong.  Since the Elantra is new, it's possible the car you want is on another dealer's lot, but they are unwilling to do a dealer trade (because they know they can sell it themselves) to the lot you are dealing with.

If you like being led around like a puppy dog by a dealer, that's your business.  There are half a dozen Elantra's at my local lot alone..and our lot is teeny.

I have a hard time believing you want some special color/option combo that another dealer does not have..
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline Gamefreak

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +3/-5
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 11 Hyundai Elantra GLS 6MT 4dr
« Reply #441 on: February 23, 2011, 03:25:27 am »
I find it hard to believe the wait would be any different at another dealership, because they'd just have to order it as well.

No true at all!!  Very wrong.  Since the Elantra is new, it's possible the car you want is on another dealer's lot, but they are unwilling to do a dealer trade (because they know they can sell it themselves) to the lot you are dealing with.

If you like being led around like a puppy dog by a dealer, that's your business.  There are half a dozen Elantra's at my local lot alone..and our lot is teeny.

I have a hard time believing you want some special color/option combo that another dealer does not have..

Don't patronize me.  I went to two other dealerships before I bought where I did.
But just to oblige you, I'll call all three of the other dealerships in town tomorrow and see if they have what I want.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1255/-7215
    • View Profile
« Reply #442 on: February 23, 2011, 03:41:15 am »

Don't patronize me.  I went to two other dealerships before I bought where I did.
But just to oblige you, I'll call all three of the other dealerships in town tomorrow and see if they have what I want.

Take advantage of the board.  List what option package/color you're after.  Many members here are near a dealership or frequent them for test drives.  I'll even call my local dealer and see what they have.

And I'm not being patronizing.  It's silly to wait 4 weeks with no definite timetable of when the car you're buying will be in.  Absolutely ridiculous. 

Heck..when you buy a car that has yet to be built, you get a build date, then you get your VIN, then you get the build completion notice, then you get shipping date, then you get delivery date.  You've got ZERO except a dealer who's treating you like a tool....

Offline dougjp

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +165/-170
  • Cars: 2019 VW Jetta GLI, 2014 Elantra GT
    • View Profile
« Reply #443 on: February 23, 2011, 06:47:03 am »
rrocket is right, its gone on too long now, you will have to "do something" more if you want a specific car, and that may mean going further afield. If it was me, I'd give the dealer a few days to give specifics of your delivery timetable at which point the deal is canceled. Of course that will have to be a hand delivered letter, not a phone call.

Just an idea. A quick search shows this dealer in Red Deer and these four in Calgary. You might want to phone them to see what they have.

http://www.garymoehyundai.ca/
http://www.calgaryhyundai.ca/
http://www.crowfoothyundai.ca/
http://www.precisionhyundai.ca/
http://www.thehyundaigallery.ca/

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +707/-12418
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Hyundai Genesis 3.8 AWD, 2016 Honda Fit EX-L Navi, 2019 Genesis G80 3.3t Sport, 2021 Honda CB650R, 2023 Honda Monkey
« Reply #444 on: February 23, 2011, 08:38:19 am »
Gamefreak - you can continue to sulk and feel victimized or you can take the advice of rrocket and others and do something about it.  I've been to two Hyundai dealers recently and both had 6 or 8 Elantras on the lot that I could see.  They are selling well and stock isn't exactly plentiful, but cars are there.  There are only a handful of trim levels and options with this car - I also find it hard to believe that yours sits alone as some unique unobtanium combo.  Speaking of which - what is the colour / trim you are after? 

Jaeger
Wokeism is nothing more than the recognition and opposition of bigotry in all its forms.  Bigots are predictably triggered.

Offline conwelpic

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +85/-815
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2020 Mazda CX-30 GS FWD - Snowflake white
« Reply #445 on: February 23, 2011, 01:36:16 pm »
just got back from the Toronto Auto Show and sat in a Elantra Ltd - very impressed!  The dullest vehicle I sat in at the show was the Toyota Corolla  :(, that's not to say I sat in all the vehicles.  The worst vehicle I sat in was the Dodge Caliber  ???
« Last Edit: February 24, 2011, 03:32:55 pm by conwelpic »

ironwood

« Reply #446 on: February 23, 2011, 05:03:33 pm »
It's on my short list and I'm waiting until the first of March to see if Hyundai has more attractive financing offers.....but I saw a white GLS parked next to a new Sonata in a mall parking lot yesterday, and it looked a lot smaller than I recall in the showroom....but it's always like that....they appear bigger in the showroom.

Offline TopGun

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +43/-165
  • Carbon fibre > Soft touch dash material
    • View Profile
« Reply #447 on: February 24, 2011, 11:52:01 am »
just got back from the Toronto Auto Show and sat in a Elantra Ltd - very impressed!  The dullest vehicle I sat in at the show was the Toyota Corolla  :(, that's not to say I say in all the vehicles.  The worst vehicle I sat in was the Dodge Caliber  ???

I'm 100% positive I'll get the eye roll when I say I just don't see what the big deal is.  Is it competitive - sure.  Will people now consider it as an alternative to the Civic/Corolla/Mazda3 - sure.  Will it sell if it's cheaper than all of them - sure...that's proven.  And to that...job well done.

At the show with Erik yesterday, he saw the bumper colour was not matched to the body, inconsistent panel gaps, some pretty bad orange peel paint, and yes...lots of hard plastic in the interior like everyone else.  The Cruze had a way nicer interior.

The one vehicle that Chrysler had there that they chose not to invest in was the Caliber - everything else on the Chrysler floor?  Now THAT was impressive.

Offline Erik

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +60/-374
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2000 Honda Insight
« Reply #448 on: February 24, 2011, 12:06:09 pm »
just got back from the Toronto Auto Show and sat in a Elantra Ltd - very impressed!  The dullest vehicle I sat in at the show was the Toyota Corolla  :(, that's not to say I say in all the vehicles.  The worst vehicle I sat in was the Dodge Caliber  ???

I'm 100% positive I'll get the eye roll when I say I just don't see what the big deal is.  Is it competitive - sure.  Will people now consider it as an alternative to the Civic/Corolla/Mazda3 - sure.  Will it sell if it's cheaper than all of them - sure...that's proven.  And to that...job well done.

At the show with Erik yesterday, he saw the bumper colour was not matched to the body, inconsistent panel gaps, some pretty bad orange peel paint, and yes...lots of hard plastic in the interior like everyone else.  The Cruze had a way nicer interior.

The one vehicle that Chrysler had there that they chose not to invest in was the Caliber - everything else on the Chrysler floor?  Now THAT was impressive.

Yup. Totally agreed. Sure Hyundai puts a lot of value into their cars, but you can also see where the money is taken out. Nothing I saw at the show had as much hard plastics. Hyundai also wins the "paint it with a roller" award for the worst paint finishes I have seen in years. The amount of Orange Peel was incredible.

No, there is nothing wrong with Hyundai's product. They make a good quality, inexpensive car in various sizes. But I sure don't see what the big deal is.
"The car is the closest thing we will ever create to something that is alive." - Sir William Lyons

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
« Reply #449 on: February 24, 2011, 12:13:00 pm »
 Hyundai also wins the "paint it with a roller" award for the worst paint finishes I have seen in years. The amount of Orange Peel was incredible

Can you notice a new trend when you see one  ::)  :rofl2:

Offline Erik

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #450 on: February 24, 2011, 12:45:47 pm »
Hyundai also wins the "paint it with a roller" award for the worst paint finishes I have seen in years. The amount of Orange Peel was incredible

The trend being that he commented on what I saw and I agreed with it?

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
« Reply #451 on: February 24, 2011, 01:09:03 pm »

The trend being that he commented on what I saw and I agreed with it?

The Orange Peel trend   ;D

Offline Erik

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #452 on: February 24, 2011, 01:31:40 pm »
Never realized that I was important enough that my observations would constitute a trend.... :D

Offline TopGun

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +43/-165
  • Carbon fibre > Soft touch dash material
    • View Profile
« Reply #453 on: February 24, 2011, 01:56:26 pm »
The amount of Orange Peel was incredible.

Gotta have a picture for proof!

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +310/-6813
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Hobby Car: 15 Mustang Vert, V6, manual, 3.55 lsd; 2024 MDX Aspec; 2022 F150 TREMOR lifted
« Reply #454 on: February 24, 2011, 02:10:59 pm »

You're in a small market with a high demand vehicle.  Just gotta wait it out.  Could be tomorrow or 2 more months.

Offline blizzard35

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #455 on: February 24, 2011, 02:51:58 pm »
Found this take on Hyundai interesting......thoughts?  Discuss amongst yourselves!

http://autos.sympatico.ca/Jeremy-Cato-Blog/8073/hyundai-now-a-world-beater

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-574
  • Profesional Dash Stroker
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Tundra, GTI, Triumph Tiger, KTM, C63 AMG, FZ-09, Triumph Speed Triple, VW Golf Wagon TDI, BMW 535i, Honda CRF250L, Hyundai Genesis Coupe, Mitsubishi Outlander, Lotus Exige, Subaru Impreza, Peugeot 106, BMW Z4, Toyota MR2 MKIII, Ford Sierra Sapphire
« Reply #456 on: February 24, 2011, 11:42:26 pm »
Found this take on Hyundai interesting......thoughts?  Discuss amongst yourselves!

http://autos.sympatico.ca/Jeremy-Cato-Blog/8073/hyundai-now-a-world-beater

I'm surprised at the survey results!

Choosing a car based on reliability is like choosing a wife based solely because she is punctual. There is more to it than that...

Offline conwelpic

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +85/-815
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2020 Mazda CX-30 GS FWD - Snowflake white
« Reply #457 on: February 25, 2011, 09:50:14 am »
some interior shots I took of the Elantra at the Toronto Auto Show

this one was in a Limited model

Offline Gamefreak

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +3/-5
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 11 Hyundai Elantra GLS 6MT 4dr
« Reply #458 on: March 29, 2011, 10:11:56 pm »
Car was getting prepped today: it'll be ready tomorrow.  For those that care, that's 64 days after I signed the deal.  I decided against a spoiler for now until they have one in stock, and I can see what the rear visibility is like from inside.

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-574
  • Profesional Dash Stroker
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Tundra, GTI, Triumph Tiger, KTM, C63 AMG, FZ-09, Triumph Speed Triple, VW Golf Wagon TDI, BMW 535i, Honda CRF250L, Hyundai Genesis Coupe, Mitsubishi Outlander, Lotus Exige, Subaru Impreza, Peugeot 106, BMW Z4, Toyota MR2 MKIII, Ford Sierra Sapphire
« Reply #459 on: March 29, 2011, 10:26:54 pm »
Car was getting prepped today: it'll be ready tomorrow.  For those that care, that's 64 days after I signed the deal.  I decided against a spoiler for now until they have one in stock, and I can see what the rear visibility is like from inside.

For what you've put up with I'd ask for a free spoiler!  And a night with the manager's daughter!