Author Topic: 2011 Hyundai Elantra  (Read 133736 times)

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1255/-7215
    • View Profile
Re: 2011 Hyundai Elantra
« Reply #420 on: February 15, 2011, 07:24:22 pm »
$450 is "absurd" for an OE spoiler with integrated brake light?  Since when?  I can remember spending a good deal more than that for OE spoilers from Honda and Nissan in years past.

OK, I admit I don't have a basis to compare it against, but considering the prices of some of their other options I figured it would be similarly out of line.
Anyway, for a compact car, does a spoiler serve any functional purpose?  And what impact, if any, would it have on fuel economy?

Most spoiler serve no real purpose.  Even on the high end cars, they serve no purpose until you reach X km/h.  For example, the gigantic spoiler on my Supra didn't make additional downforce until 160km/h.

Unless it's a HUGE spoiler, most normal spoilers on cars won't hurt your MPG at all.
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +707/-12418
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Hyundai Genesis 3.8 AWD, 2016 Honda Fit EX-L Navi, 2019 Genesis G80 3.3t Sport, 2021 Honda CB650R, 2023 Honda Monkey
« Reply #421 on: February 15, 2011, 07:25:33 pm »
$450 is "absurd" for an OE spoiler with integrated brake light?  Since when?  I can remember spending a good deal more than that for OE spoilers from Honda and Nissan in years past.

OK, I admit I don't have a basis to compare it against, but considering the prices of some of their other options I figured it would be similarly out of line.
Anyway, for a compact car, does a spoiler serve any functional purpose?  And what impact, if any, would it have on fuel economy?

I'd say it rarely serves much of a purpose on any car save a VERY high performnace machine.  On the Elantra it would have zero functional purpose.  I would suspect that any impact on fuel economy would be minimal, but negative.  Hyundai went to pretty significant lengths to reduce drag on the Sonata and Elantra in order to improve fuel economy - my guess would be that sticking a spoiler on the Elantra will increase drag and therefore increase fuel consumption.

Jaeger
Wokeism is nothing more than the recognition and opposition of bigotry in all its forms.  Bigots are predictably triggered.

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +298/-675
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Taos
« Reply #422 on: February 15, 2011, 07:46:03 pm »
There has been a thread on this before. IIRC it contained a discussion on downforce on Wing's S2000 amongst other things.

Spoilers generate drag and use that drag for something... downforce usually on cars. Losing a lot of airspeed quickly on aircraft.
The 2011 F1 cars with a moveable rear wing may gain 20 + kph when the wing is "lowered" into a low drag configuration... and lose many 100's of kilograms of downforce.
The most radical revolutionary will become a conservative the day after the revolution.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #423 on: February 15, 2011, 07:50:18 pm »
There has been a thread on this before. IIRC it contained a discussion on downforce on Wing's S2000 amongst other things.

Spoilers generate drag and use that drag for something... downforce usually on cars. Losing a lot of airspeed quickly on aircraft.
The 2011 F1 cars with a moveable rear wing may gain 20 + kph when the wing is "lowered" into a low drag configuration... and lose many 100's of kilograms of downforce.

As long as it's not surfboard sized, I don't think it will be an issue on the Elantra... ;)

Offline dougjp

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +165/-170
  • Cars: 2019 VW Jetta GLI, 2014 Elantra GT
    • View Profile
« Reply #424 on: February 15, 2011, 07:52:24 pm »

I'd say it rarely serves much of a purpose on any car save a VERY high performance machine.  On the Elantra it would have zero functional purpose.  I would suspect that any impact on fuel economy would be minimal, but negative.  Hyundai went to pretty significant lengths to reduce drag on the Sonata and Elantra in order to improve fuel economy - my guess would be that sticking a spoiler on the Elantra will increase drag and therefore increase fuel consumption.

Jaeger

Exactly. Most of these spoilers don't have any working inverted wing shape, thank heavens because its a FWD car. A working wing at the back would make handling worse. All of them create drag by disrupting airflow, although at highway speeds it wouldn't hurt much. Their practical purpose is exactly the same as a coffee can exhaust tip. Nil.  

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #425 on: February 15, 2011, 08:01:29 pm »
FYI, just because it's a FWD doesn't mean a rear spoiler can't be functional. The extra down-force is key in corners and at high speed. You'll note that FWD cars on touring series have rear spoilers.

All this spoiler talk brings me back to the old SS S/C days  :'(

That wasn't a spoiler.  That was an small airplane wing..... :rofl2:

vdk

« Reply #426 on: February 15, 2011, 08:08:29 pm »
I think when Dave called it an ironing board it was my favorite term of endearment.

Hey, at least the transmission never need replacement  :stfu:

Yes but then the Subie never left you like this in the pouring rain.

Offline Ice

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +15/-25
  • 2009 Corolla XRS
    • View Profile
« Reply #427 on: February 15, 2011, 08:18:15 pm »

I'd say it rarely serves much of a purpose on any car save a VERY high performance machine.  On the Elantra it would have zero functional purpose.  I would suspect that any impact on fuel economy would be minimal, but negative.  Hyundai went to pretty significant lengths to reduce drag on the Sonata and Elantra in order to improve fuel economy - my guess would be that sticking a spoiler on the Elantra will increase drag and therefore increase fuel consumption.

Jaeger

Exactly. Most of these spoilers don't have any working inverted wing shape, thank heavens because its a FWD car. A working wing at the back would make handling worse. All of them create drag by disrupting airflow, although at highway speeds it wouldn't hurt much. Their practical purpose is exactly the same as a coffee can exhaust tip. Nil.  
Actually they do have one functional purpose that some overlook. Some spoilers are handy in figuring out where the decklid of your car ends which makes backing into extremely tight spaces easier. It's like a super poor mans back up camera :)  I don't usually need the spoiler on the back of my Corolla but it does complete the look and it has been handy once or twice since I bought the car. I could have done without personally... but many are less confident than I am and the spoiler may serve said function.

Just not what spoilers are normally named for :)

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-574
  • Profesional Dash Stroker
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Tundra, GTI, Triumph Tiger, KTM, C63 AMG, FZ-09, Triumph Speed Triple, VW Golf Wagon TDI, BMW 535i, Honda CRF250L, Hyundai Genesis Coupe, Mitsubishi Outlander, Lotus Exige, Subaru Impreza, Peugeot 106, BMW Z4, Toyota MR2 MKIII, Ford Sierra Sapphire
« Reply #428 on: February 15, 2011, 09:49:32 pm »

Jaeger

What you want is one of these!

Choosing a car based on reliability is like choosing a wife based solely because she is punctual. There is more to it than that...

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #429 on: February 15, 2011, 09:56:40 pm »
^^I know that car..that was Rado's car.  And it was the fastest FWD track car in the nation.

vdk

« Reply #430 on: February 15, 2011, 10:06:24 pm »
^^I know that car..that was Rado's car.  And it was the fastest FWD track car in the nation.

On what track?

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #431 on: February 15, 2011, 10:10:59 pm »

On what track?

All of them.  It's beat every FWD record on any track it's been on.  Mind you, not a stock Scion. (these records are from 2009)

FWD Record 1:03.623 Phoenix International Raceway, AZ
FWD Record 2.27.xxx Spring Mountain Motorsprots Park Parhump, NV
FWD Record 1:35.989 Carolina Motorsports Park,SC.
FWD Record 1:03.084 Nashville Super Speedway, TN.
FWD Record 1:22.623 Willow Springs, Rosemond, CA. (FWIW, this is 5+ seconds a lap quicker than a 2011 BMW M3 with a professional race driver)
FWD Record 1:30.717 Autobahn Country Club, Joliet, IL
« Last Edit: February 15, 2011, 10:17:38 pm by rrocket »

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-574
  • Profesional Dash Stroker
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Tundra, GTI, Triumph Tiger, KTM, C63 AMG, FZ-09, Triumph Speed Triple, VW Golf Wagon TDI, BMW 535i, Honda CRF250L, Hyundai Genesis Coupe, Mitsubishi Outlander, Lotus Exige, Subaru Impreza, Peugeot 106, BMW Z4, Toyota MR2 MKIII, Ford Sierra Sapphire
« Reply #432 on: February 15, 2011, 10:11:30 pm »

On what track?

In the 24hr Ironing Challenge.

vdk

« Reply #433 on: February 15, 2011, 10:23:18 pm »

On what track?

All of them.  It's beat every FWD record on any track it's been on.  Mind you, not a stock Scion. (these records are from 2009)

FWD Record 1:03.623 Phoenix International Raceway, AZ
FWD Record 2.27.xxx Spring Mountain Motorsprots Park Parhump, NV
FWD Record 1:35.989 Carolina Motorsports Park,SC.
FWD Record 1:03.084 Nashville Super Speedway, TN.
FWD Record 1:22.623 Willow Springs, Rosemond, CA. (FWIW, this is 5+ seconds a lap quicker than a 2011 BMW M3 with a professional race driver)
FWD Record 1:30.717 Autobahn Country Club, Joliet, IL

But how much time would it lose without that ridiculous front spoiler?

vdk

« Reply #434 on: February 15, 2011, 10:26:04 pm »

On what track?

In the 24hr Ironing Challenge.

That's an easy one -- with twice the ironing surface!

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #435 on: February 15, 2011, 10:28:42 pm »

But how much time would it lose without that ridiculous front spoiler?

Alot.  Bear in mind, the car makes a few hundred HP.  So it needs all the help it can get to keep the tires glued down.  The first time out with the set-up, it ran 5 seconds a lap quicker.

Offline Gamefreak

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +3/-5
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 11 Hyundai Elantra GLS 6MT 4dr
« Reply #436 on: February 22, 2011, 07:45:54 pm »
4 weeks and still no car.  Dealership wants $525 for the OEM spoiler.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #437 on: February 22, 2011, 08:30:32 pm »
4 weeks and still no car.  Dealership wants $525 for the OEM spoiler.

Time to take business elsewhere....

vdk

« Reply #438 on: February 23, 2011, 01:27:57 am »
A friend of my girlfriend's bought an Elantra 2 weeks ago. No issues. Go somewhere else.

Offline Gamefreak

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +3/-5
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 11 Hyundai Elantra GLS 6MT 4dr
« Reply #439 on: February 23, 2011, 02:08:20 am »
I find it hard to believe the wait would be any different at another dealership, because they'd just have to order it as well.