Author Topic: 2011 Hyundai Elantra  (Read 133816 times)

ironwood

Re: 2011 Hyundai Elantra
« Reply #320 on: January 30, 2011, 09:42:48 am »
The dealer I went to this week to drive the Ltd is closer than the dealer I got my 06 Sonata from, and the first load of Elantras in were just GLS and up trims.  More are of course on the way, but it sounds like that is were the sales drive will be....at the higher end.  The entry level demand will always be there.  I am seriously considering a trade down to the GLS or LTD Elantra which will fit better in my tight garage space (or should I say up as the 2011 Elantra LTD has many more goodies than my 06 Sonata LTD).  I have been trying to find their bluetooth compatability for Canada, but to no avail.  We need Apple iPhone and Blackberry.  Was told at the dealership....no problem and I would expect so, but I can only find US info on-line and it is linked to carriers.

ironwood

« Reply #321 on: January 30, 2011, 11:28:06 am »
Was just pricing the LTD trim on the Hyundai US site.  It sells for $19,980 vs $22,699 here plus freight of $720 to California vs $1,495 here!  And our dollar is at par!  Ridiculous!  When is this going to change?  The financing rates are also negotiable, not fixed like here, driven by factors such as downpayment and your credit score!  Here, good credit subsidizes poor credit!
« Last Edit: January 30, 2011, 11:31:16 am by ironwood »

CatsEye68

« Reply #322 on: January 30, 2011, 04:39:54 pm »
Spent some time this afternoon on dealership row and looked at some of the offerings. Hyundai dealer had a full range of new Elantras in all trim levels. The base model is $17,500 and they had one sitting there. There seemed to be little difference in appearance inside or out between it and the other models -- the seat upholstery and dash were identical, the only thing I could see different were the style of the plastic hubcaps. Clearly the L model has less "stuff" than the others, but one would think they would try to differentiate the more expensive ones a bit more. There was a Limited with nav sitting there but the price sticker had no numbers on it. It had leather but it had a goofy-looking wavy perforation pattern to it that didn't appeal to me. I notice the headlight and taillight assemblies appear to extend into the fenders about 18"-24" -- wonder what our friend at TTAC will say about that?

The thing about the Elantra that struck me - aside from the tortured sheetmetal - is how small it seemed compared to the competition. It looked more comparable to a Fiesta than a Cruze or Forte or Civic. Maybe that's why its so lightweight. Speaking of Civics, the Honda dealer across the way had them stacked up like cordwood. I wonder if they are selling many these days. The GM dealer down the street had a small number of Cruzes on the lot and the difference between them and the Elantra was striking -- the Cruze looks to be a much more substantial car for not a whole lot more money. Will be interesting to see how it all plays out.

Offline CanuckS2K

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +398/-316
    • View Profile
    • Prestige Auto Detail
  • Cars: 1991 Toyota MR2 Turbo, 2005 Honda S2000, 2014 Infiniti Q50S, 2017 Ford F-150 Lariat
« Reply #323 on: January 30, 2011, 04:51:44 pm »
Passenger volume.....

Cruze 95 sq ft
Elantra 101 sq ft.
Fiesta 85 sq ft

Elantra is definitely not smaller. 
Owner - Prestige Auto Detailing & Hammond River Brewing

Offline Gamefreak

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +3/-5
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 11 Hyundai Elantra GLS 6MT 4dr
« Reply #324 on: January 30, 2011, 05:18:32 pm »
]Maybe that's why its so lightweight

Seeing how it's 180kg (400lbs) heavier than my old car, 'lightweight' is a relative term  :)
« Last Edit: January 30, 2011, 05:29:48 pm by Gamefreak »

Offline 2JDM

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +119/-141
    • View Profile
« Reply #325 on: January 30, 2011, 05:19:25 pm »
The thing about the Elantra that struck me - aside from the tortured sheetmetal - is how small it seemed compared to the competition. It looked more comparable to a Fiesta than a Cruze or Forte or Civic. Maybe that's why its so lightweight. Speaking of Civics, the Honda dealer across the way had them stacked up like cordwood. I wonder if they are selling many these days. The GM dealer down the street had a small number of Cruzes on the lot and the difference between them and the Elantra was striking -- the Cruze looks to be a much more substantial car for not a whole lot more money. Will be interesting to see how it all plays out.

Whats wrong with having a large stock on the best selling car in Canada?  ???

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1255/-7215
    • View Profile
« Reply #326 on: January 30, 2011, 05:32:30 pm »

Whats wrong with having a large stock on the best selling car in Canada?  ???

It happens when people know a new model is coming out the next year..tougher to sell the "old" ones...
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +707/-12418
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Hyundai Genesis 3.8 AWD, 2016 Honda Fit EX-L Navi, 2019 Genesis G80 3.3t Sport, 2021 Honda CB650R, 2023 Honda Monkey
« Reply #327 on: January 30, 2011, 05:33:01 pm »
Passenger volume.....

Cruze 95 sq ft
Elantra 101 sq ft.
Fiesta 85 sq ft

Don't let the facts get in the way.  :)  

Jaeger
Wokeism is nothing more than the recognition and opposition of bigotry in all its forms.  Bigots are predictably triggered.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #328 on: January 30, 2011, 06:13:26 pm »
Passenger volume.....

Cruze 95 sq ft
Elantra 101 sq ft.
Fiesta 85 sq ft

Jaeger

ELANTRA has more: Front Headroom, Front Legroom, Front Shoulder Room, Front Hip Room, Rear Shoulder Room, Rear Hip Room

CRUZE has more: Rear Legroom, Rear Headroom

CatsEye68

« Reply #329 on: January 30, 2011, 06:32:57 pm »
Passenger volume.....

Cruze 95 sq ft
Elantra 101 sq ft.
Fiesta 85 sq ft

Good advice for my New Brunswick friend, as his numbers are completely wrong. Not only does he call the measure "sq ft" -- that would make the Elantra about 10 feet wide -- but the numbers are all wrong even assuming he meant cu. ft. The Elantra, Cruze and Sentra all have the same interior volume numbers. Notwithstanding, it looks smaller than those from the outside. It just looks small.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #330 on: January 30, 2011, 06:43:06 pm »
Passenger volume.....

Cruze 95 sq ft
Elantra 101 sq ft.
Fiesta 85 sq ft

Good advice for my New Brunswick friend, as his numbers are completely wrong. Not only does he call the measure "sq ft" -- that would make the Elantra about 10 feet wide -- but the numbers are all wrong even assuming he meant cu. ft. The Elantra, Cruze and Sentra all have the same interior volume numbers. Notwithstanding, it looks smaller than those from the outside. It just looks small.

You sure about that?  Source?  Everything I read says it's bigger.

http://www.netcarshow.com/hyundai/2011-elantra/

The all-new Hyundai Elantra rides on a 106.3-inch wheelbase, just two-inches longer than the previous generation. Its overall length has increased by 0.9 inches to 178.3 inches, with the 69.9-inch width remaining the same. The height has been lowered by 1.8 inches to 56.5 inches, without affecting headroom. Consequently, Hyundai Elantra maintains its "class above" status when it comes to interior room, in comparison to Honda Civic and Toyota Corolla. In fact, the Hyundai Elantra is so roomy the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) classifies it as a mid-size car, not a compact car like Civic and Corolla.

"Hyundai Elantra's total interior volume of 110.4 cubic feet beats the 2011 Honda Civic sedan, 2011 Nissan Sentra, 2011 Chevrolet Cruze, 2011 Ford Focus and 2011 Toyota Corolla. Surprisingly, it even surpasses the Acura TSX (107.1 cu. ft.), Nissan Maxima (110.0 cu. ft), and VW Passat CC (109.3 cu. ft.) in total interior volume. Ultimately, the long wheelbase allows for compact car efficiency with mid-size car comfort. An example of this is found in the long seat track, delivering best-in-class front seat legroom. Hyundai Elantra's trunk volume at 14.8 cubic feet also beats Civic and Corolla."

Offline dougjp

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +165/-170
  • Cars: 2019 VW Jetta GLI, 2014 Elantra GT
    • View Profile
« Reply #331 on: January 30, 2011, 06:49:39 pm »
Passenger volume.....

Cruze 95 sq ft
Elantra 101 sq ft.
Fiesta 85 sq ft

Wow, that's just wrong advice! Forget the typo (sq ft/cu ft.), do it yourself and see how much bigger the Elantra is inside, front passengers, and so on;

http://www.kbb.com/compare-cars/specs/2006-audi-a4-8-vs-2011-chevrolet-cruze-358863-vs-2011-hyundai-elantra-358889-vs-2011-ford-fiesta-263836

Offline CanuckS2K

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
    • Prestige Auto Detail
  • Cars: 1991 Toyota MR2 Turbo, 2005 Honda S2000, 2014 Infiniti Q50S, 2017 Ford F-150 Lariat
« Reply #332 on: January 30, 2011, 06:53:12 pm »
Passenger volume.....

Cruze 95 sq ft
Elantra 101 sq ft.
Fiesta 85 sq ft

Well my sincerest of apologies as I meant cu. ft, not sq. feet.  Then again, anyone I'm sure knew what I meant.  The passenger volume numbers all came from the same source, so my apologies in advance if I didn't get out to each vehicle physically and verify if their numbers were correct.   ::)

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #333 on: January 30, 2011, 06:54:51 pm »

Well my sincerest of apologies as I meant cu. ft, not sq. feet.  Then again, anyone I'm sure knew what I meant.  The passenger volume numbers all came from the same source, so my apologies in advance if I didn't get out to each vehicle physically and verify if their numbers were correct.   ::)

Yea, well he strolled through the Hyundai lot, so he MUST have all the correct measurements.. :rofl2:

Offline CanuckS2K

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
    • Prestige Auto Detail
« Reply #334 on: January 30, 2011, 06:57:59 pm »
Passenger volume.....

Cruze 95 sq ft
Elantra 101 sq ft.
Fiesta 85 sq ft

Wow, that's just wrong advice! Forget the typo (sq ft/cu ft.), do it yourself and see how much bigger the Elantra is inside, front passengers, and so on;

http://www.kbb.com/compare-cars/specs/2006-audi-a4-8-vs-2011-chevrolet-cruze-358863-vs-2011-hyundai-elantra-358889-vs-2011-ford-fiesta-263836

Your numbers must be wrong.  After all, there is no way that a little Elantra can possibly be bigger inside than the Cruze.   ;D

CatsEye68

« Reply #335 on: January 30, 2011, 07:06:58 pm »

Here is my source, from Hyundai themselves. Notice the mathematical error in the Cruze's column. Hope their engineers take more care than their PR people. :)

http://www.hyundainews.com/assets/Media_Kits/2011_Models/Elantra/UDpress_release_table3.jpg

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #336 on: January 30, 2011, 07:10:38 pm »

Here is my source, from Hyundai themselves. Notice the mathematical error in the Cruze's column. Hope their engineers take more care than their PR people. :)

http://www.hyundainews.com/assets/Media_Kits/2011_Models/Elantra/UDpress_release_table3.jpg

They actually gave the Cruze the benefit of the doubt!  The actual EPA Cruze number is less, at 94.6 for interior space.  But the result is still the same.  LESS interior space than the Elantra.  Nice try though..

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Hyundai Genesis 3.8 AWD, 2016 Honda Fit EX-L Navi, 2019 Genesis G80 3.3t Sport, 2021 Honda CB650R, 2023 Honda Monkey
« Reply #337 on: January 30, 2011, 07:18:04 pm »

Yea, well he strolled through the Hyundai lot, so he MUST have all the correct measurements.. :rofl2:

And he's such an un-biased, reliable source - I'd certainly take his "impressions" over posted measurements - who wouldn't?  :rofl:

Jaeger

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #338 on: January 30, 2011, 07:20:04 pm »

They actually gave the Cruze the benefit of the doubt!  The actual EPA Cruze number is less, at 94.6 for interior space.  But the result is still the same.  LESS interior space than the Elantra.  Nice try though..

Maybe Hyundai should have taken a page from the GM marketing strategy and compared the new Elantra to..... the Cobalt.  ;D

Jaeger

Offline Seafoam

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +89/-202
    • View Profile
« Reply #339 on: January 30, 2011, 07:30:21 pm »

Maybe Hyundai should have taken a page from the GM marketing strategy and compared the new Elantra to..... the Cobalt.  ;D

Jaeger
Ah yes the cobalt.Weren't they stacked up on dealer lots when the cruze was to be introduced?  :P
2023 Honda Civic EX-B
2004 Mazdaspeed Miata
2016 Toyota Tacoma SR