Author Topic: 2011 Hyundai Elantra  (Read 133861 times)

Offline Shnak

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +8/-49
  • New toy! :)
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 Hyundai Sonata Limited, 2006 Kia Sportage
Re: 2011 Hyundai Elantra
« Reply #280 on: December 21, 2010, 01:12:22 pm »
I own a 2003 Civic, started to look for a new car last month.  I heard of the new Elantra and began to read the reviews.  I got more excited about the car as more good reviews were coming out.

Last week the salesman called me that they just got the new Elantra in.  I went in to the dealership, saw it and sat in it.  Everything was great just as the reviews said, the look, inside cabin, features and all.  It even has a spare tire that those in the US don't have. 

I asked him if I could test drive one.  He had a brand new demo, a GL automatic.  I started the car, turned on the 2 stage heated seat, adjusted a few things and slowly pulled out of the parking lot.

I pressed on the gas pedal gradually.  I couldn't believe myself when I heard the loud engine noise because many of the reviews said the car is quiet.  Even after the car had warmed up, it still was very noisy when it was over 3000 rpm or so.  It appeared to me the engine was making a huge effort to accelerate the car.  It was definitely noisier than the Civic and Mazda 3.  I was so disappointed.  I was all ready to buy it.  Then the Car and Driver review came out and I couldn't agree with it more.

How can so many first drive reviewers said the car is quiet?  Do they make better ones for California?  The demo I drove was brand new, only a few km on it.  Will it get better after a few thousand kms?  Is this 'Nu' engine inferior to the GDI engine they put in the Avante in Korea?

I like everything else the Elantra is offering, now I have to decide if I can bear with this engine.

Well that's disappointing. Maybe reviewers mean the car is quiet once at speed? Did you take it on a highway, and if you did, how was the tire/road/wind noise level?

Offline dougjp

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +165/-170
  • Cars: 2019 VW Jetta GLI, 2014 Elantra GT
    • View Profile
« Reply #281 on: December 21, 2010, 01:40:29 pm »
I own a 2003 Civic, started to look for a new car last month.  I heard of the new Elantra and began to read the reviews.  I got more excited about the car as more good reviews were coming out.

Last week the salesman called me that they just got the new Elantra in.  I went in to the dealership, saw it and sat in it.  Everything was great just as the reviews said, the look, inside cabin, features and all.  It even has a spare tire that those in the US don't have. 

I asked him if I could test drive one.  He had a brand new demo, a GL automatic.  I started the car, turned on the 2 stage heated seat, adjusted a few things and slowly pulled out of the parking lot.

I pressed on the gas pedal gradually.  I couldn't believe myself when I heard the loud engine noise because many of the reviews said the car is quiet.  Even after the car had warmed up, it still was very noisy when it was over 3000 rpm or so.  It appeared to me the engine was making a huge effort to accelerate the car.  It was definitely noisier than the Civic and Mazda 3.  I was so disappointed.  I was all ready to buy it.  Then the Car and Driver review came out and I couldn't agree with it more.

How can so many first drive reviewers said the car is quiet?  Do they make better ones for California?  The demo I drove was brand new, only a few km on it.  Will it get better after a few thousand kms?  Is this 'Nu' engine inferior to the GDI engine they put in the Avante in Korea?

I like everything else the Elantra is offering, now I have to decide if I can bear with this engine.

My suggestion? Go and try again, however wait until they have BOTH a GLS and a Limited model, test them back to back.

The reason is I read the base car weighs 2,661 lbs., whereas the loaded model is 2,877 lbs., big difference considering there is only one engine. Maybe part of that is the automatic and airco compressor, however could it be the better models, that have been provided in some of the reviews, have more sound deadening?

http://www.autoguide.com/manufacturer/hyundai/2011-hyundai-elantra-review-first-drive-1480.html

Offline Sir Osis of Liver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1376/-1726
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 KTM DUKE 390, 2019 VW Jetta GLI 35th Anniversary
« Reply #282 on: December 21, 2010, 02:14:51 pm »

Don't be too sure, I guarantee both Car & Driver, and Motor Trend will beat every negative detail be it small or large to over shadow any positive aspects of the new Focus.
I predict they will make many references to the terrible Contour experience, with the so small rear seat area etc, and will be many references to Oh My God is Ford crazy thinking they can sell a "Focus" with a premium price tag, what the hell is Mr.Mulally smoking cause I want some, types of comments. :rofl2: :rofl2: :rofl2: :rofl2: :rofl2: :rofl2:

It's funny how (mostly) minor negatives get amplified as cars get better and more similar across the board. It's almost as if they are trying to create controversy in order to generate interest and possibly sales! ;D
On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.

H. L. Mencken

Offline MKII

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +19/-83
    • View Profile
« Reply #283 on: December 21, 2010, 04:22:19 pm »

Don't be too sure, I guarantee both Car & Driver, and Motor Trend will beat every negative detail be it small or large to over shadow any positive aspects of the new Focus.
I predict they will make many references to the terrible Contour experience, with the so small rear seat area etc, and will be many references to Oh My God is Ford crazy thinking they can sell a "Focus" with a premium price tag, what the hell is Mr.Mulally smoking cause I want some, types of comments. :rofl2: :rofl2: :rofl2: :rofl2: :rofl2: :rofl2:

It's funny how (mostly) minor negatives get amplified as cars get better and more similar across the board. It's almost as if they are trying to create controversy in order to generate interest and possibly sales! ;D

The change over at C/D from Csaba Csere to Eddie Alterman has not IMO changed anything, still the same drivel on and on.

If you ever have a chance to listen to Autoline when they have one of these yoyo's on it gives one a clue why C/D is what it is.

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
« Reply #284 on: December 28, 2010, 03:55:55 pm »
If your over 180 cm (6 ft) you cannot really sit in the back :o

Offline conwelpic

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +85/-815
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2020 Mazda CX-30 GS FWD - Snowflake white
« Reply #285 on: December 28, 2010, 07:12:59 pm »
just in case you missed it, there is the full details on this new model

http://www.hyundaicanada.com/Pages/showroom/Showroom.aspx?model=Elantra

Offline Bubba

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +382/-442
  • Vice President, Autos.ca Arizona Operations
    • View Profile
    • My photo site
  • Cars: 2013 Toyota Corolla LE
« Reply #286 on: December 28, 2010, 07:50:57 pm »
just in case you missed it, there is the full details on this new model

http://www.hyundaicanada.com/Pages/showroom/Showroom.aspx?model=Elantra

Make mine a...
    * Province MB
    * Car Model 2011 Elantra
    * Trim Level ELANTRA GL 6 Speed Manual
    * Transmission Manual
    * Exterior Colour Venetian Red
    * Interior Colour Grey Cloth

Price $17,999

EXTERIOR ACCESSORIES
Block Heater – $204.95
Mud Guard Kit - Front – $71.45
Mud Guard Kit - Rear – $71.45

Accessories $347.85

Delivery $1,495

Total $19,481.85

My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government. - Thomas Jefferson

Offline Vinnie35

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +0/-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #287 on: January 07, 2011, 09:24:47 am »
Anyone test drive yet? Hows the drive? Gas mileage?

ironwood

« Reply #288 on: January 08, 2011, 04:41:14 pm »
Just came back from my Hyundai dealer, and sat in the new Elantra GLS sitting next to a new Sonata Limited.  Didn't have time for a test drive...just wanted a quick look and the brochure.  I expected to be overwhelmed, but I wasn't.  It is not as big as some comments would suggest.....at least with a Sonata right beside it.  Back seat head room might be a little compromised for 6 footers.  Dash and stack are really upscale.  Ergonomics seem perfectly fine.  Back seat looked spacious enough, but I only looked and didn't sit. Nice exterior lines.  But the big plus has to be the features....ran down specs for the GLS in the brochure while sitting in it and for roughly $20K it is loaded.  Step up to the Limited and it is almost a little Lexus minus a few frills.  Underwhelmed by size, and haven't driven it, but those were my first impressions.  Will try to go back this week for a drive.

Forgot to mention the trunk....surprisingly large, but the pass through is a little restricted by angling-in panels at the top.  But 60/40 split would accomodate skiis or snowboards well.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2011, 12:31:20 pm by ironwood »

Offline Vinnie35

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +0/-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #289 on: January 19, 2011, 12:32:34 pm »
Just came back from my Hyundai dealer, and sat in the new Elantra GLS sitting next to a new Sonata Limited.  Didn't have time for a test drive...just wanted a quick look and the brochure.  I expected to be overwhelmed, but I wasn't.  It is not as big as some comments would suggest.....at least with a Sonata right beside it.  Back seat head room might be a little compromised for 6 footers.  Dash and stack are really upscale.  Ergonomics seem perfectly fine.  Back seat looked spacious enough, but I only looked and didn't sit. Nice exterior lines.  But the big plus has to be the features....ran down specs for the GLS in the brochure while sitting in it and for roughly $20K it is loaded.  Step up to the Limited and it is almost a little Lexus minus a few frills.  Underwhelmed by size, and haven't driven it, but those were my first impressions.  Will try to go back this week for a drive.

Forgot to mention the trunk....surprisingly large, but the pass through is a little restricted by angling-in panels at the top.  But 60/40 split would accomodate skiis or snowboards well.

Thanks, I've yet to go to the dealer cause I'm a sucker and usually end up being there talking price for about 3 hours. Motoring 2011 will be testing this car this Saturday Jan.22 on TSN. Will be watching.

Offline dougjp

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +165/-170
  • Cars: 2019 VW Jetta GLI, 2014 Elantra GT
    • View Profile
« Reply #290 on: January 22, 2011, 07:36:46 am »

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +471/-416
    • View Profile
  • Cars: since the beginning of Saf timeLOTUS ELAN,STANDARD... 10, MG midget, MGB (2),Mazda Millennia,Hyundai Veloster and 1997 Ford Ranger 2014 Subaru Forester XT
« Reply #291 on: January 22, 2011, 08:29:12 am »
 ::) Hey quit dissing my G/F........................ :shuffle:
Time is to stop everything happening at once

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +707/-12418
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Hyundai Genesis 3.8 AWD, 2016 Honda Fit EX-L Navi, 2019 Genesis G80 3.3t Sport, 2021 Honda CB650R, 2023 Honda Monkey
« Reply #292 on: January 28, 2011, 08:37:56 am »
Okay - got to take a top-of-the-line model out for a test drive - here are a few thoughts.

Exterior - Yes, subjective, but I think it is just gorgeous.  Flowing lines, pleasing proportions, nice stance - "sporty elegance" might describe the design theme.

Interior - Wow.  VERY nice.  Again, mine was the top tier model, but this was a really nice place to be. 7" nav / multifunction touch screen dominates - in a good way.  Very crisp graphics and sharp colours.  Made the unit in my Altima look very yester-tech.  Center stack was very well organized and pleasing, both from aesthetic and functional points of view.  The Cruze made a similarly good impression interior wise (also a fully loaded model), though I found the seats in the Elantra more comfortable.  The ones in the Cruze weren't bad at all - I just never got them quite right and gave up after some prolonged fiddling.  The Elantra is very spacious for a compact. I've read statements to the effect that it offers more interior space than an ES350 or a Maxima, and while I don't know whether that's true, I can say that the front driver / passenger space seems ample.  I sat "behind myself" in the rear seat and again thought that this was a very comfortable place to be.  Good leg and hip room.  At 5' 10", I found headroom to be just fine, despite the sloping roof line.  But someone 6' 2" may have a different impression.

The Drive - engine feels stronger than the numbers suggest.  It took me a while to figure out overall what I was REALLY liking about the drive, because it was an element that impacts almost all aspects of experience - this is a pretty lighweight car.  Contrary to the mass = quality approach of some (I don't need to name names, do I?) Hyundai clearly made lightness a design goal, and it gives this car a nimble feeling that reminded me of my wife's Fit - though not to the same degree. The engine is quick-revving and eager, and the 6 sp. auto is very responsive to the demands of your right foot.  You definitely get some engine noise in the upper rev ranges, but otherwise it's pretty quiet - particularly on the highway.  I did not notice much in the way road and wind noise.  The ride is on the firm side with the 17" rims, but not harsh by any stretch.  Those looking for a soft, floaty ride will probably still gravitate toward a Corolla.  Steering was okay - there's no sports sedan level of feedback, but neither was it overboosted to the point of lifelessness.  Handling was good.

Price with every available option was $24k and change.  May seem like a lot, but you can spend nearly $6k more on a loaded Cruze.  And of course, you don't need to go whole hog on the options list.

Overall - a very solid car that should do very well indeed. In a way, it's bugging me that I drove this, because if I were to be brutally honest, this is all the car I really need.  And I actually prefer the styling inside and out to the Sonata (though I still really like the Sonata a lot).

I haven't driven much of the contemporary competition for the Elantra, so I can't say where it fits - but I can say that it is a car I could live with quite easily.  Good thing the auto show is coming - I may have to check out some of the newer compact offerings just to further complicate my purchase decision.

Jaeger

Wokeism is nothing more than the recognition and opposition of bigotry in all its forms.  Bigots are predictably triggered.

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
« Reply #293 on: January 28, 2011, 05:00:00 pm »
 I sat "behind myself" in the rear seat and again thought that this was a very comfortable place to be.  Good leg and hip room.  At 5' 10", I found headroom to be just fine, despite the sloping roof line.  But someone 6' 2" may have a different impression.

At over 180 cm (6ft) I found it lacking and forget about sitting in the rear
But it is a nice looking car

ironwood

« Reply #294 on: January 28, 2011, 08:04:20 pm »
Jaeger....I've just come back from test driving the Limited with NAV, and I have to tell you I am salivating!  I came a little skeptical about drivability and ride, but all I can say is it is absolutely georgeous inside and out.....is loaded with features that you would have to pay $30K+ to get a year ago, and it drives and handles great!  I also sat in an LTD in the showroom, desert bronze with tan leather interior....a magnificent looking machine!  That would be my choice!  Actually handled quite well with it's low profile all-seasons in snow.....but up here you would need winter tires.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2011, 08:09:54 pm by ironwood »

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Hyundai Genesis 3.8 AWD, 2016 Honda Fit EX-L Navi, 2019 Genesis G80 3.3t Sport, 2021 Honda CB650R, 2023 Honda Monkey
« Reply #295 on: January 28, 2011, 10:14:23 pm »
That tan leather interior is really sharp.  I kinda wish the Sonata Turbo came with that interior colour - my last 5 or 6 cars have all had dark grey / black interiors.  But back to the Elantra - it's a real positive sign that the compact segment is seeing trim levels and interior quality on par with near luxury vehicles.  The up-level Elantra and Cruze really make a strong positive impression in this respect, and the upcoming Focus looks pretty good, too.  Honda better bring their A-game with the interior of the new Civic, because it has been left well and truly behind by the newer segment entries.

I really just drove the Elantra on a lark, but it impressed me well enough that I want to take it out again and really put it under potential purchase scrutiny.

Jaeger

Offline Gamefreak

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +3/-5
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 11 Hyundai Elantra GLS 6MT 4dr
« Reply #296 on: January 29, 2011, 12:50:54 am »
Hi guys:
I've been reading articles and following the forums for some time and thought I'd finally sign up.  I signed the deal on an indigo blue '11 Elantra GLS manual on Tuesday: it should arrive from Vancouver next week.  The GL had pretty much everything I wanted except for the alloys, and the GLS had enough other features to justify the additional $1800. The XM subsription is only for 3 months, but I doubt I'll be using it much anyway.

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #297 on: January 29, 2011, 06:26:41 am »
Congrats!  Why not tell us a little bit anout what led to your choice - what other vehicles you tested and why you chose this one.  The XM may grow on you - it did for me. 

Jaeger

ironwood

« Reply #298 on: January 29, 2011, 09:42:37 am »
A couple more thoughts from having taken a spin in the Limited trim yesterday.  While I think it's a lot of car for the money, a couple of things bugged me.  Just a temporary spare...but that is usual for compacts today, and the reality is I haven't had a flat in at least 15 years!  The trunk is generous, but the rear seats don't fold flat.  The pass through is a bit restricted and not as wide as a couple of other 2011 compacts I've looked at.  But that's all....the top end Elantra sedan is a fine automobile!

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #299 on: January 29, 2011, 10:07:51 am »
While I think it's a lot of car for the money, a couple of things bugged me.  Just a temporary spare...but that is usual for compacts today, and the reality is I haven't had a flat in at least 15 years!

I've had a full size spare in my Altima for 4 years - hauling all that extra weight around in the trunk, day in day out - and never needed it.  And if I did, a smaller, lighter more compact temporary spare would get me to a repair - which I'd have to do anyway.  I'm happy Hyundai decided to save the weight and the space. A mounted 17" tire aint small and aint light.

The trunk is generous, but the rear seats don't fold flat. 

I can think of few sedans where the rear seats fold truly flat. 

Jaeger