Author Topic: 2011 Hyundai Elantra  (Read 133856 times)

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +707/-12418
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Hyundai Genesis 3.8 AWD, 2016 Honda Fit EX-L Navi, 2019 Genesis G80 3.3t Sport, 2021 Honda CB650R, 2023 Honda Monkey
Re: 2011 Hyundai Elantra
« Reply #260 on: December 20, 2010, 03:44:27 pm »
^^^ Pontiac-style body-cladding??  On an Elantra?? 

Jaeger
Wokeism is nothing more than the recognition and opposition of bigotry in all its forms.  Bigots are predictably triggered.

Offline Sir Osis of Liver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1376/-1726
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 KTM DUKE 390, 2019 VW Jetta GLI 35th Anniversary
« Reply #261 on: December 20, 2010, 09:32:52 pm »
I don't think this review from Car and Driver has been posted

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/car/10q4/2011_hyundai_elantra_limited-short_take_road_test

The Elantra is not without faults, though. The new engine makes the kind of high-pitched racket at high rpm that barges into your ear canals screaming, “Hey, I’m still an economy car!” And the Elantra’s ride is unnecessarily stiff and noisy.

These are shrill reminders that, underneath all the dramatic bodywork and luxury-car equipment, this Hyundai remains an economy car, one with no shortage of strong competitors. These include the two new American-brand entries, both of which have more sophisticated NVH control and ride-and-handling attributes. But the Elantra sure is a looker.

That was not expected.
On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.

H. L. Mencken

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1255/-7215
    • View Profile
« Reply #262 on: December 20, 2010, 09:42:02 pm »

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/car/10q4/2011_hyundai_elantra_limited-short_take_road_test

The Elantra is not without faults, though. The new engine makes the kind of high-pitched racket at high rpm that barges into your ear canals screaming, “Hey, I’m still an economy car!” And the Elantra’s ride is unnecessarily stiff and noisy.

These are shrill reminders that, underneath all the dramatic bodywork and luxury-car equipment, this Hyundai remains an economy car, one with no shortage of strong competitors. These include the two new American-brand entries, both of which have more sophisticated NVH control and ride-and-handling attributes. But the Elantra sure is a looker.

That was not expected.

So they criticize the Cruze for having a marshmallow Corolla-esque handling and they don't want a firm ride in the Elantra.  What exactly are they looking for??
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

• Car Crazy
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
« Reply #263 on: December 20, 2010, 09:44:35 pm »

That was not expected.

So they criticize the Cruze for having a marshmallow Corolla-esque handling and they don't want a firm ride in the Elantra.  What exactly are they looking for??

Focus!

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #264 on: December 20, 2010, 09:47:14 pm »
I haven't read anything about the USDM Focus yet....

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Hyundai Genesis 3.8 AWD, 2016 Honda Fit EX-L Navi, 2019 Genesis G80 3.3t Sport, 2021 Honda CB650R, 2023 Honda Monkey
« Reply #265 on: December 20, 2010, 10:00:43 pm »
Extracting the single negative comment in the entire review is..... entirely expected.

Jaeger

• Car Crazy
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
« Reply #266 on: December 20, 2010, 10:06:39 pm »
Extracting the single negative comment in the entire review is..... entirely expected.

Jaeger

Whatever, what was the term you used? Oh yes, the ever so delightful "Slappy" moniker. ::)

I didn't expect it. Hyundai has been doing very well at covering their bases. I don't necessarily agree with reviewers and their opinions. I haven't formed an opinion at all because I haven't driven it.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #267 on: December 20, 2010, 10:14:57 pm »

Jaeger

Whatever, what was the term you used? Oh yes, the ever so delightful "Slappy" moniker. ::)

I didn't expect it. Hyundai has been doing very well at covering their bases. I don't necessarily agree with reviewers and their opinions. I haven't formed an opinion at all because I haven't driven it.

You didn't expect that cars that sell for $15K would have SOME issue with them?  Are you really shocked that any of these entries (Cruze, Elantra, Civic, Corolla) would have some ugly $15K car traits?  I'm not shocked at all...

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #268 on: December 20, 2010, 10:22:04 pm »
You didn't expect that cars that sell for $15K would have SOME issue with them?  Are you really shocked that any of these entries (Cruze, Elantra, Civic, Corolla) would have some ugly $15K car traits?  I'm not shocked at all...

Neither am I.  And as between too firm and too marshmallow in the ride department, I'll take the former.

Jaeger

• Car Crazy
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
« Reply #269 on: December 20, 2010, 10:25:30 pm »

The C&D quote seemed especially harsh. Much more so than I was expecting after hearing how quiet the others were.

Offline dougjp

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +165/-170
  • Cars: 2019 VW Jetta GLI, 2014 Elantra GT
    • View Profile
« Reply #270 on: December 20, 2010, 10:41:20 pm »
Its early days, "first drives". And as to the scribes writing them, does anyone believe every one will be objective? In the group, there are bound to be Detroit apologists, quasi lobbyists, GM haters, import haters and lovers, you name it. And there will be smart ass writers trying to wow with words, say things that stand out and/or create controversy just because it turns them on to be like that. Like this C&D guy.

Offline mmret

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +240/-570
    • View Profile
« Reply #271 on: December 20, 2010, 10:57:25 pm »
Does that silvery plastic on the center stack bother anyone else?
You can't just have your characters announce how they feel.
That makes me feel angry!

Present: 15.5 V60 T6 + Polestar, 17 MDX
Sometimes Borrow: 11 GLK350
Dark and Twisted Past: 13 TL AWD, 07 Z4 3.0si, 07 CLK550, 06 TSX, 07 Civic, 01 Grandma!

CatsEye68

« Reply #272 on: December 21, 2010, 07:02:04 am »
Its early days, "first drives". And as to the scribes writing them, does anyone believe every one will be objective? In the group, there are bound to be Detroit apologists, quasi lobbyists, GM haters, import haters and lovers, you name it. And there will be smart ass writers trying to wow with words, say things that stand out and/or create controversy just because it turns them on to be like that. Like this C&D guy.

What is striking is the contrast between this and the puff piece that MT produced that was referenced earlier. Given that these are introductory articles, that usually are all sweetness and light regardless of the flaws in the vehicle in question, this one stands out as a red flag. I suppose it is possible that this is Saint Hyundai's bridge too far. Time will tell.

Offline Dante

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +33/-97
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 VW GTI DSG, 2011 BMW 328i xDrive 6MT, 2007 Mitsubishi Outlander
« Reply #273 on: December 21, 2010, 07:22:08 am »
Does that silvery plastic on the center stack bother anyone else?

Yes, me, a bit.

Offline Ontariodriver

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +39/-240
    • View Profile
« Reply #274 on: December 21, 2010, 08:26:31 am »

Jaeger

Yer. It's really over style. But works.

I love the way people think 15K is cheap. I don't remember the Civic/Focus having any ugly traits. Nor even the Corolla for that matter. 

Offline Shnak

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +8/-49
  • New toy! :)
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 Hyundai Sonata Limited, 2006 Kia Sportage
« Reply #275 on: December 21, 2010, 08:45:04 am »

That was not expected.

Funny, Canadian Driver's own First Drive has a whole different take than this caranddriver reviewer:

Out on the road, the Elantra impresses with its refinement. For one thing, it is very quiet inside for a small car. The noise generated by engine, tires and the rushing air are all at low levels. For another, it handles very well (at least with the 17-inch rubber on the Limited), with crisp turn-in and flat cornering. Indeed, it could almost be called sporty, although Hyundai is not (yet) positioning the Elantra along those lines. Still, with its light weight, well-tuned suspension, a willing engine and an automatic gearbox that doesn’t strangle it, the Elantra entertains on a level with the two sporty leaders in the class, Honda Civic and Mazda3. We must say, however, that the electric power steering does not get with the program in terms of road feel and linearity as well as a good hydraulic system does.

I don't see much negative in that paragraph. Very quiet, handles very well, crisp turn-in, flat cornering, willing engine, well-tuned suspension, automatic gearbox that doesn't stangle the engine, entertains on the same level as the Civic and Mazda3. Only real negative is the electric power steering isn't as communicative as he hoped.

Offline tortoise

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +236/-453
    • View Profile
« Reply #276 on: December 21, 2010, 09:36:49 am »
We all know to take reviews with a grain of salt and let our own a$$ be the guide.

I wonder if the difference in comments about the ride and handling had to do with where the test took place.  That Canadian Driver car was tested in California (with notoriously smooth roads) and the C&D was probably tested in Michigan (home of C&D).

Maybe they're both right.

And further, Jim Kenzie had to say this:

The twisty, hilly roads due east of San Diego offer lots of opportunities to evaluate every aspect of a car’s capabilities, except perhaps ride quality — the roads are too well-maintained.

The engine is reasonably quiet; wind noise is also well-contained, although there is some whirr from those tires.

He also griped that the steering was too light.
Only the slow and dim know where they're going in life, and seldom is it worth the trip. - Tom Robbins.

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #277 on: December 21, 2010, 09:44:18 am »
Jaeger

Yer. It's really over style. But works.

I don't see it as overstyled at all.  And I REALLY don't see anything resembling the craptastic Pontiac-styled body cladding of years past.  I mean, I can see why some people wouldn't like the Elantra's blend of curves and creases - just as I can see how some others might think the Elantra makes the Cruze look like a shipping crate.  But there is nothing in the Elantra that, to my eye, evokes the ridiculous plastic clad midsections of Grand Ams and Bonnevilles and such.

Jaeger

smallcar

« Reply #278 on: December 21, 2010, 12:05:19 pm »
I own a 2003 Civic, started to look for a new car last month.  I heard of the new Elantra and began to read the reviews.  I got more excited about the car as more good reviews were coming out.

Last week the salesman called me that they just got the new Elantra in.  I went in to the dealership, saw it and sat in it.  Everything was great just as the reviews said, the look, inside cabin, features and all.  It even has a spare tire that those in the US don't have. 

I asked him if I could test drive one.  He had a brand new demo, a GL automatic.  I started the car, turned on the 2 stage heated seat, adjusted a few things and slowly pulled out of the parking lot.

I pressed on the gas pedal gradually.  I couldn't believe myself when I heard the loud engine noise because many of the reviews said the car is quiet.  Even after the car had warmed up, it still was very noisy when it was over 3000 rpm or so.  It appeared to me the engine was making a huge effort to accelerate the car.  It was definitely noisier than the Civic and Mazda 3.  I was so disappointed.  I was all ready to buy it.  Then the Car and Driver review came out and I couldn't agree with it more.

How can so many first drive reviewers said the car is quiet?  Do they make better ones for California?  The demo I drove was brand new, only a few km on it.  Will it get better after a few thousand kms?  Is this 'Nu' engine inferior to the GDI engine they put in the Avante in Korea?

I like everything else the Elantra is offering, now I have to decide if I can bear with this engine.

Offline MKII

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +19/-83
    • View Profile
« Reply #279 on: December 21, 2010, 12:59:52 pm »

That was not expected.

Focus!

Don't be too sure, I guarantee both Car & Driver, and Motor Trend will beat every negative detail be it small or large to over shadow any positive aspects of the new Focus.
I predict they will make many references to the terrible Contour experience, with the so small rear seat area etc, and will be many references to Oh My God is Ford crazy thinking they can sell a "Focus" with a premium price tag, what the hell is Mr.Mulally smoking cause I want some, types of comments. :rofl2: :rofl2: :rofl2: :rofl2: :rofl2: :rofl2: