Author Topic: 2011 Hyundai Elantra  (Read 133883 times)

Offline tortoise

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +236/-453
    • View Profile
Re: 2011 Hyundai Elantra
« Reply #200 on: December 06, 2010, 12:57:19 pm »

Why? On a manual transmission, you're also pushing to go from 2 to 3, ie. pushing to go up a gear. Up=up a gear, Down=down a gear. I really don't see how counterintuitive it is.

I think the conventional wisdom on this is that the shift lever motion mimics the acceleration felt in the car.  If you're coming into a corner and want to downshift you'll be decelerating.   Vise-versa, if you're up-shifting you're most likely accelerating.  It makes sense to me, but then again I really don't get these systems for 99% of normal driving.
Only the slow and dim know where they're going in life, and seldom is it worth the trip. - Tom Robbins.

Offline Shnak

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +8/-49
  • New toy! :)
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 Hyundai Sonata Limited, 2006 Kia Sportage
« Reply #201 on: December 06, 2010, 01:04:54 pm »

Why? On a manual transmission, you're also pushing to go from 2 to 3, ie. pushing to go up a gear. Up=up a gear, Down=down a gear. I really don't see how counterintuitive it is.

I think the conventional wisdom on this is that the shift lever motion mimics the acceleration felt in the car.  If you're coming into a corner and want to downshift you'll be decelerating.   Vise-versa, if you're up-shifting you're most likely accelerating.  It makes sense to me, but then again I really don't get these systems for 99% of normal driving.

Ok, sure. In any case, it's no big deal and I'd get used to either way pretty quickly. I certainly wouldn't even point this out as a problem when reviewing a car, that's for sure.

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +707/-12418
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Hyundai Genesis 3.8 AWD, 2016 Honda Fit EX-L Navi, 2019 Genesis G80 3.3t Sport, 2021 Honda CB650R, 2023 Honda Monkey
« Reply #202 on: December 06, 2010, 01:11:43 pm »
It's not wrong, but it's counterintuitive. "Up" should be pull and "down" should be push.

I prefer this as well, as in a real manual transmission I pull to upshift to 2nd gear. I believe the Mazda is shift up-up shift down-down which I don't like.

And then you PUSH to upshift from 2nd to 3rd.  You PULL to downshift from 4th to 3rd, then PUSH to downshift from 3rd to 2nd.  I have never understood the claim that a push or pull is inherently more connected to an up versus downshift.

Surely one quickly adjusts to whatever the manumatic setup is in your daily driver.

Jaeger
« Last Edit: December 06, 2010, 01:14:32 pm by Jaeger »
Wokeism is nothing more than the recognition and opposition of bigotry in all its forms.  Bigots are predictably triggered.

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +471/-416
    • View Profile
  • Cars: since the beginning of Saf timeLOTUS ELAN,STANDARD... 10, MG midget, MGB (2),Mazda Millennia,Hyundai Veloster and 1997 Ford Ranger 2014 Subaru Forester XT
« Reply #203 on: December 06, 2010, 01:15:21 pm »
what happens when U push and pull on the twisties........... :shuffle: :fall:
Time is to stop everything happening at once

Offline Dante

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +33/-97
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 VW GTI DSG, 2011 BMW 328i xDrive 6MT, 2007 Mitsubishi Outlander
« Reply #204 on: December 06, 2010, 01:24:22 pm »
It's not wrong, but it's counterintuitive. "Up" should be pull and "down" should be push.

I prefer this as well, as in a real manual transmission I pull to upshift to 2nd gear. I believe the Mazda is shift up-up shift down-down which I don't like.

Yep. I find it more natural. It follows the direction of the intertial force.

Offline Dante

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: December 06, 2010, 01:34:31 pm »
I certainly wouldn't even point this out as a problem when reviewing a car, that's for sure.

It is not a "problem" with Elantra or Hyundai in particular. It was an observation on my end as it is one thing I check out on these A/T w/Manual mode trannies.
I would not single-out Hyundai for this as many manufacturers implement this feature the same way. Others got it "right" (e.g. Mazda, Mitsu on the Evo w/SST but not on the Outlander  >:()

Offline Shnak

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: December 06, 2010, 01:46:41 pm »
I certainly wouldn't even point this out as a problem when reviewing a car, that's for sure.

It is not a "problem" with Elantra or Hyundai in particular. It was an observation on my end as it is one thing I check out on these A/T w/Manual mode trannies.
I would not single-out Hyundai for this as many manufacturers implement this feature the same way. Others got it "right" (e.g. Mazda, Mitsu on the Evo w/SST but not on the Outlander  >:()

Would that be enough to make you not want to buy a vehicle, though?

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +298/-675
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Taos
« Reply #207 on: December 06, 2010, 01:54:56 pm »
I agree with carcrazy. My GTI DSG is backwards as well. Push to go up pull to go down. Should be the other way.

Pull == 1->2  3->4  5->6        Push 6->5   4->3  2->1

So I just use the paddles, never the lever but as a manual transmission driver for many decades I'd rather use the lever.
The most radical revolutionary will become a conservative the day after the revolution.

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +290/-389
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 12 Mazda 5 GT 6MT
« Reply #208 on: December 06, 2010, 02:00:15 pm »
I'm not a fan of sequential shifting period. I seriously want a hybrid P-R-N-D and with H-gate shifter manual mode.

Offline Dante

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #209 on: December 06, 2010, 03:57:00 pm »

Would that be enough to make you not want to buy a vehicle, though?

Not even close. LOL… I have an Outlander with the upside-down arrangement. It's an annoyance at most and every car has its own share of those.
Since we are at it, changing gears on its own when in the Manual mode is another annoyance (more severe though but still not a deal-breaker for me if everything else is good),  as well as having to move the shifter away from the driver versus towards the driver when switching to the Manual mode.

The next weird thing now is having a button on the shifter to do the up/down shifts in manual mode – new Focus and I believe the new BMWs (5-Series). I'm not a fun of this arrangement either.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2010, 04:01:16 pm by carcrazy »

Offline 2JDM

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +119/-141
    • View Profile
« Reply #210 on: December 06, 2010, 04:32:58 pm »
The automatic manual mode was VERY useful today, in the blizzard conditions we are experiencing. VSA/DTC off button was useful too. ;)

Offline G0dspd

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +11/-4
  • Vroum Vroum
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: December 06, 2010, 05:25:04 pm »
2013 Hyundai Elantra Touring going five-door, leaving the wagon train behind
http://www.autoblog.com/2010/12/06/2013-hyundai-elantra-touring-going-five-door-leaving-the-wagon/

Fear not, hatchback fans. According to Hyundai CEO John Krafcik, the next-generation Hyundai Elantra Touring will debut in late 2012 as a 2013 model. Krafcik tells Autoblog that while the Elantra sedan is styled specifically for the American market, the Elantra Touring is being penned with European customers in mind. The company sells a long-roof version of the Elantra in the old country under the i30 banner, but from what we understand, American buyers will get a taste of the next-generation vehicle in about two years.
The Elantra Touring design actually came out of our California studio. We're going to go with the shorter five-door hatchback bodystyle instead of the larger wagon style we have now."...

Smart move by Hyundai.
"Can we make this quick? I have to give a banana to Annie's Boobs."

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +290/-389
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 12 Mazda 5 GT 6MT
« Reply #212 on: December 06, 2010, 05:31:25 pm »
My manual foot operated clutch comes in handy everyday. :D

Offline Shnak

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: December 06, 2010, 05:47:29 pm »
http://www.autoblog.com/2010/12/06/2013-hyundai-elantra-touring-going-five-door-leaving-the-wagon/

Fear not, hatchback fans. According to Hyundai CEO John Krafcik, the next-generation Hyundai Elantra Touring will debut in late 2012 as a 2013 model. Krafcik tells Autoblog that while the Elantra sedan is styled specifically for the American market, the Elantra Touring is being penned with European customers in mind. The company sells a long-roof version of the Elantra in the old country under the i30 banner, but from what we understand, American buyers will get a taste of the next-generation vehicle in about two years.
The Elantra Touring design actually came out of our California studio. We're going to go with the shorter five-door hatchback bodystyle instead of the larger wagon style we have now."...

Smart move by Hyundai.

It's probably a good move as in most people prefer a hatchback than a wagon, but I think it sucks. We need more wagons on the market, and the Touring has been selling well, in great part because it's one of the very few affordable wagons. Now that it'll be just another hatch, I'm not sure what's going to differentiate it from everything else out there...

Offline Shnak

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: December 06, 2010, 05:48:12 pm »
My manual foot operated clutch comes in handy everyday. :D

Ugh! Don't get me started on those!!  :P

Offline Ice

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +15/-25
  • 2009 Corolla XRS
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: December 06, 2010, 06:46:03 pm »

Smart move by Hyundai.

It's probably a good move as in most people prefer a hatchback than a wagon, but I think it sucks. We need more wagons on the market, and the Touring has been selling well, in great part because it's one of the very few affordable wagons. Now that it'll be just another hatch, I'm not sure what's going to differentiate it from everything else out there...
I know what you mean. I'm a little disappointed to hear that but I sort of figured it would happen anyways. I imagine the styling will be pretty cool given what the sedan looks like so there is that... maybe they will entice with a real sport edition with a small turbo or something like that :)  Or there is the upcoming Veloster.

Offline blur911

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +244/-779
  • Nasty Weasel
    • View Profile
  • Cars: and bikes by age:Honda, BMW, Porsche, Subaru, Suzuki, Suzuki, Mazda, Jaguar, Kawasaki, Porsche, GMC, Suzuki
« Reply #216 on: December 07, 2010, 11:32:10 am »

That's how it seems to work best. ;D
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eSJ-HzNWJGM
Mr Pickypants

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Hyundai Genesis 3.8 AWD, 2016 Honda Fit EX-L Navi, 2019 Genesis G80 3.3t Sport, 2021 Honda CB650R, 2023 Honda Monkey
« Reply #217 on: December 08, 2010, 03:40:33 pm »
If anyone wants to take a break from the up/down debate, here's a first drive review:

http://www.insideline.com/hyundai/elantra/2011/2011-hyundai-elantra-first-drive.html

Jaeger

Offline conwelpic

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +85/-815
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2020 Mazda CX-30 GS FWD - Snowflake white
« Reply #218 on: December 08, 2010, 11:34:58 pm »
another first drive review from Autoguide (couldn't find that it had already been posted)

http://www.autoguide.com/manufacturer/hyundai/2011-hyundai-elantra-review-first-drive-1480.html

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: December 09, 2010, 08:38:22 am »
^^^ Good review.  I look forward to the next batch of comparison tests that pit the Cruze and Elantra against the existing competition.  I expect both to do well.

Jaeger