Author Topic: 2011 Hyundai Elantra  (Read 133872 times)

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +471/-416
    • View Profile
  • Cars: since the beginning of Saf timeLOTUS ELAN,STANDARD... 10, MG midget, MGB (2),Mazda Millennia,Hyundai Veloster and 1997 Ford Ranger 2014 Subaru Forester XT
Re: 2011 Hyundai Elantra
« Reply #180 on: November 28, 2010, 01:33:40 pm »
Rex Charleston............................STAND UP........................
Time is to stop everything happening at once

Offline Shnak

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +8/-49
  • New toy! :)
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 Hyundai Sonata Limited, 2006 Kia Sportage
« Reply #181 on: December 02, 2010, 01:43:34 pm »
Hyundai launches Save the Asterisks campaign for 40-mpg Elantra
http://www.autoblog.com/2010/12/02/video-hyundai-launches-save-the-asterisks-campaign-for-40-mpg-e/

The Korean automaker notes that some competitors create a special trim level for certain models that's designed specifically to score a great fuel mileage rating from the EPA, while the other volume trim levels return a few miles per gallon less across the board. Since Hyundai won't name names, we'll do it for them: Chevrolet Cruze (Eco) and Ford Fiesta (SFE). Every single version of the 2011 Elantra, however, will achieve 40 mpg, as Hyundai likes to keep reminding us. No asterisks required.

That's great marketing!  ;D

Offline Erik

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +60/-374
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2000 Honda Insight
« Reply #182 on: December 02, 2010, 01:47:11 pm »
Very sharp marketing on their part.
"The car is the closest thing we will ever create to something that is alive." - Sir William Lyons

Offline Shnak

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: December 06, 2010, 09:31:09 am »
Great write-up on the Elantra:
http://www.autoblog.com/2010/12/06/first-drive-2011-hyundai-elantra/

With the next-generation Honda Civic and 2012 Ford Focus on the horizon, the 2011 Hyundai Elantra will be facing some stout competition in the future, but right now, the little sedan has the bones to be king of the compact roost.

Offline Bubba

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +382/-442
  • Vice President, Autos.ca Arizona Operations
    • View Profile
    • My photo site
  • Cars: 2013 Toyota Corolla LE
« Reply #184 on: December 06, 2010, 09:51:15 am »
Great write-up on the Elantra:
http://www.autoblog.com/2010/12/06/first-drive-2011-hyundai-elantra/

With the next-generation Honda Civic and 2012 Ford Focus on the horizon, the 2011 Hyundai Elantra will be facing some stout competition in the future, but right now, the little sedan has the bones to be king of the compact roost.

It looks damn good in dark blue.  I wonder when they hit the dealers.
My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government. - Thomas Jefferson

Offline moontune

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +1/-0
    • View Profile
    • www.tonymoon.com
  • Cars: Lots
« Reply #185 on: December 06, 2010, 10:17:00 am »
Early January but will post when the first one actually does arrive?

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +707/-12418
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Hyundai Genesis 3.8 AWD, 2016 Honda Fit EX-L Navi, 2019 Genesis G80 3.3t Sport, 2021 Honda CB650R, 2023 Honda Monkey
« Reply #186 on: December 06, 2010, 10:21:25 am »
Good article.  I found the comments about the manumatic shifting of the 6 speed auto very interesting as it clearly  impressed as being very quick shifting in manual mode.  I would't describe the manumantic shifting in either the Sonata or Genesis to be particularly quick.  Not bad, by any means, but no better than you'd basically expect.

Jaeger
Wokeism is nothing more than the recognition and opposition of bigotry in all its forms.  Bigots are predictably triggered.

Offline Dante

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +33/-97
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 VW GTI DSG, 2011 BMW 328i xDrive 6MT, 2007 Mitsubishi Outlander
« Reply #187 on: December 06, 2010, 10:33:52 am »
^^^

Question is, does it hold the gear to red line or does it change by itself at lower points? This is how I think most if not all Hyundai manumatics worked in the past.

Offline Shnak

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: December 06, 2010, 10:38:46 am »
Am I the only one who couldn't care less about manumatic shifting and how responsive it is, or isn't? Really, I've had that feature in 4-5 cars now, and can count on one hand how many times I've used it. I've used it once in the Sportage when I was carrying like ~700kgs of bags of rocks to keep it in 3rd, basically using it like an overdrive. I've never needed to use it in the Sonata and I don't remember using it in the Jetta either. What's the point? If I wanted a manual car, I would've bought one!

Offline conwelpic

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +85/-815
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2020 Mazda CX-30 GS FWD - Snowflake white
« Last Edit: December 06, 2010, 11:14:19 am by conwelpic »

Offline Guy

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +481/-1227
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Mustang Mach-E Premium, 2019 Volvo XC40 Momentum
« Reply #190 on: December 06, 2010, 11:24:09 am »
Am I the only one who couldn't care less about manumatic shifting and how responsive it is, or isn't? Really, I've had that feature in 4-5 cars now, and can count on one hand how many times I've used it. I've used it once in the Sportage when I was carrying like ~700kgs of bags of rocks to keep it in 3rd, basically using it like an overdrive. I've never needed to use it in the Sonata and I don't remember using it in the Jetta either. What's the point? If I wanted a manual car, I would've bought one!

I use it mostly for very spirited driving :) and in the winter in very slippery conditions. I don't like the car to downshift unexpectedly on me in a very slippery on or off ramp for example. I also use it to upshift early for better traction on the snow.

BTW great car from Hyundai again, they are really on a roll. I think they are ahead of all the japanese manufacturers now. Just my opinion, please don't shoot!!!
« Last Edit: December 06, 2010, 11:27:19 am by Guy »

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +290/-389
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 12 Mazda 5 GT 6MT
« Reply #191 on: December 06, 2010, 11:45:16 am »

It's the car manufacturer's attempt to get more manual transmission diehards to finally fork over the extra $1,300 to get an automatic. An automatic transmission in a small car can almost double the car manufacturer's profits and almost double the salesperson's commission.

I ain't buying it though, for the time being, I may have to get an automatic eventually as I plan to get a hybrid or electric second car... but I would never get an automatic internal combustion engine only vehicle.

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +707/-12418
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Hyundai Genesis 3.8 AWD, 2016 Honda Fit EX-L Navi, 2019 Genesis G80 3.3t Sport, 2021 Honda CB650R, 2023 Honda Monkey
« Reply #192 on: December 06, 2010, 11:45:32 am »

I doubt you're the only one, but clearly there is a market demand for this feature.  What's the point?  The point is it allows for some additional cotrol at the driver's choice.  You may not wish it, others do.  I don't know how much I'd use such a feature - my last several cars were all manuals.  But it if IS offered, I would rather it work well - as in, responsive and fast.  Where is really makes little sense is when the manumatic shifting is slow and syruppy.

I wouldn't likely use it in a Sportage, either.

Jaeger

Offline Shnak

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: December 06, 2010, 11:56:58 am »

It's the car manufacturer's attempt to get more manual transmission diehards to finally fork over the extra $1,300 to get an automatic. An automatic transmission in a small car can almost double the car manufacturer's profits and almost double the salesperson's commission.

I ain't buying it though, for the time being, I may have to get an automatic eventually as I plan to get a hybrid or electric second car... but I would never get an automatic internal combustion engine only vehicle.

I understand that, but out of the ~90% who do buy vehicles with automatic transmissions, how many of them would turn around and grab the manual transmission instead if the automatic transmission didn't have a manual mode? I'd bet that number would be really really low. It only makes sense in sporty vehicles with sporty transmissions, like the GTI. The rest of the time, not so much. I mean, I'm not really against the inclusion of this feature, but as I said before, it's only because I see them as overdrives. And as such, responsiveness isn't really that important.

And regarding the hybrid/electric, you could get a CR-Z... I think it's the only hybrid vehicle available with a manual transmission.

Offline Dante

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: December 06, 2010, 12:01:05 pm »
I have A/T with manual mode in both my cars and I use them occasionally (just like Guy). I would rather have this option since I'm stuck with an A/T, although I wish I could buy a proper manual.

If it's there, it better work well and not all the cars implement this functionality the same. Perhaps the new Elantra works fine, although I see Hyundai still implements the down/up shifts in the counterintuitive order; not a big deal but just saying.

Regardless, the new Elantra sounds better and better as more info rolls in.

Offline Shnak

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #195 on: December 06, 2010, 12:04:58 pm »
I have A/T with manual mode in both my cars and I use them occasionally (just like Guy). I would rather have this option since I'm stuck with an A/T, although I wish I could buy a proper manual.

If it's there, it better work well and not all the cars implement this functionality the same. Perhaps the new Elantra works fine, although I see Hyundai still implements the down/up shifts in the counterintuitive order; not a big deal but just saying.

Regardless, the new Elantra sounds better and better as more info rolls in.

Sure, if a feature is included, might as well make it as good as possible, no arguments there.

I'm curious about the counterintuitive order? What's wrong about pushing the shifter to go up a speed and pulling on it to go down a speed?

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: December 06, 2010, 12:10:50 pm »
I understand that, but out of the ~90% who do buy vehicles with automatic transmissions, how many of them would turn around and grab the manual transmission instead if the automatic transmission didn't have a manual mode? I'd bet that number would be really really low. It only makes sense in sporty vehicles with sporty transmissions, like the GTI. The rest of the time, not so much. I mean, I'm not really against the inclusion of this feature, but as I said before, it's only because I see them as overdrives. And as such, responsiveness isn't really that important.

And regarding the hybrid/electric, you could get a CR-Z... I think it's the only hybrid vehicle available with a manual transmission.

Well I rented a VW Jetta and Mazda 3 from Zip Car, both automatic with manual mode... once in awhile when I needed to really accelerate I would go into manual mode, but most of the time it would stay in automatic mode... I find manual mode to be more cumbersome to use than a real manual transmission, just like a manual focus in a non DSLR camera is more cumbersome to use, although some cameras offer tap to focus now which is still not as good as a real manual focus but better than most point and shoots, so perhaps the automatic transmission with manual mode can evolve as well.

Manual transmission shifter:

R 1 3 5
|-|/|/|
   2 4 6

First gen automatic transmission shifter with manual mode:

P
R
N M-
D-|
   M+

Second gen automatic transmission with manual mode?

P
R
N 1 3 5
D-|/N/|
   2 4 6

Do this and I MIGHT give up my clutch.

Offline Dante

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: December 06, 2010, 12:18:22 pm »
I'm curious about the counterintuitive order? What's wrong about pushing the shifter to go up a speed and pulling on it to go down a speed?

It's not wrong, but it's counterintuitive. "Up" should be pull and "down" should be push.

Offline Shnak

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: December 06, 2010, 12:21:59 pm »

It's not wrong, but it's counterintuitive. "Up" should be pull and "down" should be push.

Why? On a manual transmission, you're also pushing to go from 2 to 3, ie. pushing to go up a gear. Up=up a gear, Down=down a gear. I really don't see how counterintuitive it is.

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: December 06, 2010, 12:34:55 pm »

I prefer this as well, as in a real manual transmission I pull to upshift to 2nd gear. I believe the Mazda is shift up-up shift down-down which I don't like.