Author Topic: 2011 Hyundai Elantra  (Read 133792 times)

Offline conwelpic

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +85/-815
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2020 Mazda CX-30 GS FWD - Snowflake white
Re: 2011 Hyundai Elantra
« Reply #60 on: August 03, 2010, 10:47:55 am »
Tuesday, August 3, 2010
Hyundai Announces New Elantra Launch in US for Later This Year

http://www.thecarblogger.net/

Offline Ice

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +15/-25
  • 2009 Corolla XRS
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: August 03, 2010, 04:09:38 pm »
It looks good although the power plant seems a tad bit on the weak side... still the fuel economy should be incredible. Maybe the torque curve or a lighter weight will save it. I think the design language works better on this car than even on the Sonata. It has a really nice look to it from several angles.

Offline Dante

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +33/-97
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 VW GTI DSG, 2011 BMW 328i xDrive 6MT, 2007 Mitsubishi Outlander
« Reply #62 on: August 03, 2010, 04:13:21 pm »
I would venture to guess that in North America it will be offered with a 2.0L GDI good for around 170 hp.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2010, 05:02:23 pm by carcrazy »

Offline conwelpic

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +85/-815
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2020 Mazda CX-30 GS FWD - Snowflake white
2011 Hyundai Elantra On Sale By End Of Year
« Reply #63 on: August 04, 2010, 09:35:07 am »
August 4th
Hyundai is working on a brand new version of its Elantra sedan that we can confirm today will go on sale at the end of the year as a 2011 model. We’ve already seen it on a number of occasions testing in prototype form, although so far it’s always been heavily camouflaged, but the South Korean version of the car, the Avante, was recently launched overseas.

Hyundai has ambitious plans for its new Elantra compact sedan, with as many as 400,000 annuals sales predicted by 2012. This shouldn’t be too much of a problem considering its decisively more upmarket look and feel.

Compared to the previous generation Elantra, the new 2011 model has been enlarged by one inch and the axles are now two inches further apart. Key details include a sloping, coupe-like profile, tapered back headlights and a square rump. Prototypes of the car have been spotted testing in both South Korea and the U.S., often alongside rival models like the Honda Civic and Kia Forte.

Power is expected to come from Hyundai’s latest 2.4-liter direct-injection four-cylinder engine matched to a six-speed automatic transmission. A smaller 1.6-liter unit may also be available.

http://www.thecarconnection.com/marty-blog/1047933_2011-hyundai-elantra-on-sale-by-end-of-year

Offline EV Dan

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +480/-383
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '21 Venzaurus
Re: 2011 Hyundai Elantra On Sale By End Of Year
« Reply #64 on: August 04, 2010, 09:46:02 am »
August 4th
Hyundai is working on a brand new version of its Elantra sedan that we can confirm today will go on sale at the end of the year as a 2011 model. We’ve already seen it on a number of occasions testing in prototype form, although so far it’s always been heavily camouflaged, but the South Korean version of the car, the Avante, was recently launched overseas.

Hyundai has ambitious plans for its new Elantra compact sedan, with as many as 400,000 annuals sales predicted by 2012. This shouldn’t be too much of a problem considering its decisively more upmarket look and feel.

Compared to the previous generation Elantra, the new 2011 model has been enlarged by one inch and the axles are now two inches further apart. Key details include a sloping, coupe-like profile, tapered back headlights and a square rump. Prototypes of the car have been spotted testing in both South Korea and the U.S., often alongside rival models like the Honda Civic and Kia Forte.

Power is expected to come from Hyundai’s latest 2.4-liter direct-injection four-cylinder engine matched to a six-speed automatic transmission. A smaller 1.6-liter unit may also be available.

http://www.thecarconnection.com/marty-blog/1047933_2011-hyundai-elantra-on-sale-by-end-of-year

I suppose the engine choice will be similar to the Koup - 2.0 and 2.4 for the top model, possibly with DI.
Give a man a fish, he eats for a day. Teach the man to fish and he wakes you up at 5 in the morning.

Offline Ice

• Drunk on Fuel
  • 2009 Corolla XRS
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: August 04, 2010, 08:34:53 pm »
Woa... so... latest 2.4L...that's the DI engine right?  So 200hp Elantra?  That thing would be screaming along if that was the case. Or do they mean the 2.4L in the Tucson.  Still super fast I guess but less "cool" without the DI :)

I'm really curious what they will do.

Offline dougjp

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +165/-170
  • Cars: 2019 VW Jetta GLI, 2014 Elantra GT
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: August 04, 2010, 08:44:35 pm »
Woa... so... latest 2.4L...that's the DI engine right?  So 200hp Elantra?  That thing would be screaming along if that was the case. Or do they mean the 2.4L in the Tucson.  Still super fast I guess but less "cool" without the DI :)

I'm really curious what they will do.

+1. However I'm expecting what they could do and what they actually do will be different. I'm hoping for a turbo manual tranny in the MS3 ball park. However just as the Sonata base 4 cyl trumps the competition, I expect just that normally aspirated motor will be the upscale Elantra choice. As long as a manual tranny is available, it might be of interest.

Offline Ice

• Drunk on Fuel
  • 2009 Corolla XRS
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: August 05, 2010, 10:37:30 pm »
Even if they managed a 150-160hp with say 150lb/ft of torque... in a 2.0L DI or something like that I think it'd be very good power and no doubt very good fuel economy.  Ford's 2.0L DI is somewhere near that (just a bit lower).

Bryson

« Reply #68 on: September 15, 2010, 03:35:40 am »
Tuesday, August 3, 2010

When they say US does that mean canada as well? Can someone confirm or deny, will the avante be sold in canada before the end of the year?

Offline Ontariodriver

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +39/-240
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: September 15, 2010, 06:46:48 am »
Tuesday, August 3, 2010

When they say US does that mean canada as well? Can someone confirm or deny, will the avante be sold in canada before the end of the year?

Should be here as well. I can't see them keeping the old Elantra on the road.

Bryson

« Reply #70 on: September 15, 2010, 09:21:01 am »
Tuesday, August 3, 2010

It's just that in other tech industries such as cell phones for example, canada tends to lag behind our american neighbors by a few months. Since I am unfamiliar with the automotive industry I was just wondering if that would be the case as well. I do really like the styling of the avante and I'm ready to buy a car any day now especially with most dealers offering rebates on their 2010 models. Also, my local hyundai dealer said that the 2011 elantra coming out is the old model and that the 2012 coming out sometime around april would be the redesigned avante. If he lied to me to try to close the sale, that would really :censor: me off.

Offline Ice

• Drunk on Fuel
  • 2009 Corolla XRS
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: September 15, 2010, 09:59:59 am »
Tuesday, August 3, 2010

It's just that in other tech industries such as cell phones for example, canada tends to lag behind our american neighbors by a few months. Since I am unfamiliar with the automotive industry I was just wondering if that would be the case as well. I do really like the styling of the avante and I'm ready to buy a car any day now especially with most dealers offering rebates on their 2010 models. Also, my local hyundai dealer said that the 2011 elantra coming out is the old model and that the 2012 coming out sometime around april would be the redesigned avante. If he lied to me to try to close the sale, that would really :censor: me off.
In the automotive industry supply is usually tighter so it's just a matter of there being no previous gen Elantras available after a certain point and the shipments will be of the new model.  Canada and US usually get simultaneous or near simultaneous release in most cases that I can think of. Someone feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

In the electronics world we often just don't get things or if we do sometimes they are months or years behind schedule. With cell phones the real reason behind some of that is that it's our phone carriers are their networks being ready to handle certain types of phones or not. There can be huge supplies of older models still in the supply line so they can keep the older models being sold.

ironwood

« Reply #72 on: October 16, 2010, 07:12:29 pm »
So...what's the latest on when we might see the new Elantra in the showrooms?

Offline Ice

• Drunk on Fuel
  • 2009 Corolla XRS
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: October 16, 2010, 11:27:44 pm »
All I've read is early 2011... nothing more than that. They are starting production in the US so I'm not sure if the delay is caused by that or it's just normal. We still don't know what engine(s) the Elantra is shipping with. In Korea it's the 1.6L DI but rumors have it that the US/North America version might have more power.

Offline Vinnie35

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +0/-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: October 27, 2010, 05:10:51 pm »
All I've read is early 2011... nothing more than that. They are starting production in the US so I'm not sure if the delay is caused by that or it's just normal. We still don't know what engine(s) the Elantra is shipping with. In Korea it's the 1.6L DI but rumors have it that the US/North America version might have more power.

Hmmmmm....maybe a 2.4l with 198hp. That would be nice!! I'm a big VW fan and i've never been a hyundai fan but this car may just change my mind. Best looking car in its class hands down!!!

Offline dougjp

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +165/-170
  • Cars: 2019 VW Jetta GLI, 2014 Elantra GT
    • View Profile
« Reply #75 on: October 27, 2010, 06:15:06 pm »
I wonder if this story, and the comments that follow, are accurate or just people's imagination. I hear that all will become known November 17 at the Los Angeles Auto Show.

http://www.leftlanenews.com/hyundai-elantra-2011.html

The story talks about a 200 HP turbo which is either a new smaller displacement engine, or imagination. I can't see why they don't just put the standard Sonata engine in there with its 200 HP as the optional Elantra engine, like Mazda does with its 4 cylinder Mazda6 base engine in the Mazda3. Turbo would be better though (except for the torque steer)!

The other exciting thing is the possibility it may weigh only 2,650 lbs., as it does in Korea.

Offline Angry Chicken

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +131/-157
  • Don't get Clucky Angry!
    • View Profile
  • Cars: drei Deutsche
« Reply #76 on: October 27, 2010, 06:43:06 pm »
Just looking at the interior and exterior pics tells me that Hyundai "gets it".  Honda and Toyota would do well to find out what Hyundai's secret sauce is.  Talk about a reversal of roles! 

I remember when the new Hyundai "H" logo came out, some people thought that it was a flagrant attempt by Hyundai to copy Honda.

Offline moontune

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +1/-0
    • View Profile
    • www.tonymoon.com
  • Cars: Lots
« Reply #77 on: October 27, 2010, 08:37:31 pm »
Well I drove this new Elantra today and I was very impressed.

Offline Ice

• Drunk on Fuel
  • 2009 Corolla XRS
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: October 27, 2010, 08:43:47 pm »
Well I drove this new Elantra today and I was very impressed.
That's all you are going to write? Must have been in South Korea since the North American version hasn't even been formally unveiled.

Anyone know if they intend to keep the Touring version going as well?

Offline moontune

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +1/-0
    • View Profile
    • www.tonymoon.com
  • Cars: Lots
« Reply #79 on: October 27, 2010, 08:48:54 pm »
No it was in Kitchener! I am just a cheasy salesperson that everyone wants to pick on so do not say much. I must say though, since selling Hyundai for a few years now they really are getting more and more exciting.