Author Topic: 2011 Hyundai Elantra  (Read 133719 times)

ironwood

2011 Hyundai Elantra
« on: April 22, 2010, 08:52:37 am »
Has anyone any new information on the new Hyundai Elantra sedan and Touring version besides the camoflaged winter testing pix from before Christmas.  Haven't heard a thing about what may be coming in several months.

Offline Ice

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +15/-25
  • 2009 Corolla XRS
    • View Profile
Re: 2011 Hyundai Elantra
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2010, 05:16:06 pm »
Haven't heard a word.  Some rumors and whatnot and of course the spy photos but nothing since then.

I wasn't sure if both the Elantra and Elantra Touring were going to be redesigned at the same time or the Touring would come later.  We just got the Touring a year or two ago so it's still "new" on our shores even if it isn't a new car.

Offline Ontariodriver

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +39/-240
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2010, 08:57:36 pm »
Mostly likely next year. We seen the Accent. That looks ready. So within a year for the Elantra.

Here is a speculative rendering.

Offline Ontariodriver

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2010, 09:19:22 am »

Thats really nice. They all seem to be smaller Hyundai Sonata styling. This one seem to have more calmer front however.

Offline sirAQUAMAN64

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +8/-54
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2001 VW Golf TDI 3Dr 5MT, 2007 VW Golf GTI 6MT, 2008 Saturn Astra XR 5Dr 4AT, 2010 VW Golf Wagon TDI 6MT, 2014 Chevrolet Orlando 2LT
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2010, 10:28:02 am »
Stunning once again.
AQUAMAN64 also posts on DriverBlogs.com!

Offline Dante

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +33/-97
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 VW GTI DSG, 2011 BMW 328i xDrive 6MT, 2007 Mitsubishi Outlander
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2010, 11:21:13 am »
It looks good. Independent suspension or torsion beam? What would be the engine choices in North America? Hatch version coming?

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +391/-634
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Rock'n Rolla Nightstalker
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2010, 11:25:43 am »
The pics look great and would love to see a wagon version based on that.

Offline EV Dan

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +480/-383
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '21 Venzaurus
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2010, 11:26:16 am »
It looks good. Independent suspension or torsion beam? What would be the engine choices in North America? Hatch version coming?

The new generation of Hyundai Elantra, also known as Avante in some markets, has been unveiled during the Busan Motor Show in Korea revealing a much better design than before along with new engine and technologies. Following the new ‘fluidic sculpture’ design language, the 2011 Elantra also features a sleek and curvy body which is not that pretty to be honest but comparing to the old models, it’s a huge improvement.

The all-new Elantra is powered by the latest editoin of Hyundai’s 1.6L Gamma Gasoline Direct Injection engine which delivers 140 hp. This front-wheel-drive car comes with an automatic six-speed gearbox and it’s said to be 10 percent more fuel efficient. Apart from direct injection, this engine also features Dual Continuously Variable Valve Timing, a Variable Induction System and exotic anti-friction coatings such as CrN Physical Vapor Deposition (PVD) coating and Diamond Like Carbon (DLC) coating.

The new Elantra also comes with a rich list of equipments and features which is not common for a compact sedan. It includes HID (High Intensity Discharge) headlamps, LED combination lamps in the rear, heated rear seats, puddle lamps and a color TFT LCD information display nestled in the gauge cluster.

Pricing and availability of the 2011 Hyundai Elantra for different markets will be announced later.

Not sure if NA will get a different engine... 2.0 naturaly aspirated GDI would be nice...
Give a man a fish, he eats for a day. Teach the man to fish and he wakes you up at 5 in the morning.

Mitlov

« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2010, 11:54:08 am »
No manual transmission?  Am I reading that right?!  Looks really nice, but if Hyundai is not offering a manual on this car, I don't care how it drives.  You really need a manual to get the fun out of a small-displacement C-segment car.

I would love to see a sporty model with the 200-horsepower DI engine from the Sonata and a 6MT.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2010, 11:56:10 am by Mitlov »

Offline drederick

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +0/-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2010, 12:04:31 pm »
Damn that IS nice!
blah blah blah Toyota blah blah blah I feel your pain; you've got a GM, it's worth squat and you owe on it. 

Dude, if the displacment is EXACT, it's not "all new".  The intake is different, the VVT is now on both sets of valves  In the automotive world "all new" often means somewhat different

Offline Dante

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2010, 12:10:53 pm »
The new Elantra will certainly sell well in Canada at least, but I'm curious if it will steal sales from Corola/Cruze type or Mazda3/Civic?

Mitlov

« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2010, 12:21:18 pm »
The new Elantra will certainly sell well in Canada at least, but I'm curious if it will steal sales from Corola/Cruze type or Mazda3/Civic?

I'm curious too.  The new Sonata has proven to be a segment leader in objective performance, but it lags behind the Accord and Fusion (and presumably Mazda6) in terms of communicative driving experience.  I'm wonderin whether this will also be a case where the Elantra walks all over the Focus/Civic/Mazda3 in terms of closed-course performance testing, but isn't as fun to drive at an 8/10ths pace on a back road.

Offline Dante

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2010, 12:43:31 pm »

I'm curious too.  The new Sonata has proven to be a segment leader in objective performance, but it lags behind the Accord and Fusion (and presumably Mazda6) in terms of communicative driving experience.  I'm wonderin whether this will also be a case where the Elantra walks all over the Focus/Civic/Mazda3 in terms of closed-course performance testing, but isn't as fun to drive at an 8/10ths pace on a back road.

I don't know if Sonata is a truly a segment leader in objective performance if you factor in more than 0-60 mph time. There are still conflicting reports out there (just read the IL Sonata Ltd Auto Full-Test). Based on the paper stats? Maybe.
My impression is that, while Hyundai is making waves adopting and implementing modern technologies in their cars, the execution is not quite up there yet. Sure, the engine is great, the tranny is great, the chassis may have all the goods, but when it comes to putting them together and make them act like one entity, they don't quite get it as good as they should.
Of course we don't know anything about Elantra right now, but we can speculate for fun ... My gut feeling is that they will not walk over new Focus/Civic/Mazda3 in any way.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2010, 12:45:39 pm by carcrazy »

Mitlov

« Reply #13 on: April 29, 2010, 01:38:31 pm »
Yes, Virginia, there really is a Santa Claus 6MT:

Offline Wolverine

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +2/-0
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Ford Focus sedan 2008 1.6 Flexfuel
« Reply #14 on: April 29, 2010, 01:39:19 pm »
IMHO it looks A LOT better than the melted Sonata.
"If you wanna make the world a better place take a look at yourself and make a change."

Mitlov

« Reply #15 on: April 29, 2010, 01:48:32 pm »
IMHO it looks A LOT better than the melted Sonata.

Yeah, this and the Tucson are the most successful applications of Hyundai's new styling language.

Offline Ontariodriver

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 29, 2010, 10:19:06 pm »
No manual transmission?  Am I reading that right?! 

Then you shouldn't have to pay extra for it.

I'm wonderin whether this will also be a case where the Elantra walks all over the Focus/Civic/Mazda3

:rofl:

Offline whistler

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +1/-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 04, 2010, 11:48:44 am »
No manual transmission?  Am I reading that right?! 

Then you shouldn't have to pay extra for it.

Why not? Why should you have to automatically pay more for the automatic (no pun intended :D).

These days, most people buy autos. Manuals are becoming more of a niche that less and less people buy. This isn't 1960 anymore where the manual is the "standard" transmission and an auto is a high priced luxury feature.

If most people buy a certain trim, the are building more of that trim, and stocking more of that trim at dealers, and therefore it should become cheaper. If the manual is becoming more of the specialty item being built in smaller numbers and being more of a special order option, why shouldn't its price reflect that.

goonboy

« Reply #18 on: July 12, 2010, 12:04:47 am »
Wow.  What an amazing looking car.  Easily the best and most expensive looking car in it's class.  More tastefully done than the overly styled Mazda 3.  Check out those gorgeous looking 18 or 19 inch rims in the photos above. 

In terms of mechanics and standard equipment the Elantra blows it's competition out of the water.  HID, heated rear sights, DGI and 6 speed auto in a subcompact car?  Absolutely outrageous. 

Mazda really kicked their game up while Toyota and Honda fell asleep sitting on their laurels during the mid 2000's.  Now it is Hyundai's turn and they are cranking out winner after winner.  My next car will either be the Elantra or the Sonata Turbo.  Hyundai has intelligently started to go a little more upscale in it's designs and differentiate from it's Kia operations.

I am truly proud to call myself a Korean.  Way to go Hyundai! Daehan mingook manse!
« Last Edit: July 12, 2010, 12:08:21 am by goonboy »

Offline Ice

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +15/-25
  • 2009 Corolla XRS
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 12, 2010, 12:37:01 am »
Wow.  What an amazing looking car.  Easily the best and most expensive looking car in it's class.  More tastefully done than the overly styled Mazda 3.  Check out those gorgeous looking 18 or 19 inch rims in the photos above. 

In terms of mechanics and standard equipment the Elantra blows it's competition out of the water.  HID, heated rear sights, DGI and 6 speed auto in a subcompact car?  Absolutely outrageous. 

Mazda really kicked their game up while Toyota and Honda fell asleep sitting on their laurels during the mid 2000's.  Now it is Hyundai's turn and they are cranking out winner after winner.  My next car will either be the Elantra or the Sonata Turbo.  Hyundai has intelligently started to go a little more upscale in it's designs and differentiate from it's Kia operations.

I am truly proud to call myself a Korean.  Way to go Hyundai! Daehan mingook manse!
Actually you're forgetting about the 2012 Focus which will probably show up around the same time.  Same features. We haven't heard specifically but I would be surprised about HIDs, not sure about heated rear seats (that'd be interesting even on the Elantra), and Dual Clutch 6 speed with a Direct Inject engine are all parts of the new Focus.

The Civic is old now and we know nothing about it's replacement except that Honda changed course mid stream. The Corolla is kind of old as it is... seeing as the design was out in 2007 in Europe and things have moved quickly (I own one of these cars :)) so Toyota better be designing a revolution at this point :)  We'll see what happens in the segment... quite a few solid competitors. We'll see what consumers ultimately jump for.