Author Topic: 2011 Hyundai Elantra  (Read 133756 times)

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-574
  • Profesional Dash Stroker
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Tundra, GTI, Triumph Tiger, KTM, C63 AMG, FZ-09, Triumph Speed Triple, VW Golf Wagon TDI, BMW 535i, Honda CRF250L, Hyundai Genesis Coupe, Mitsubishi Outlander, Lotus Exige, Subaru Impreza, Peugeot 106, BMW Z4, Toyota MR2 MKIII, Ford Sierra Sapphire
Re: 2011 Hyundai Elantra
« Reply #380 on: February 02, 2011, 12:06:20 am »
Cool cars!

Choosing a car based on reliability is like choosing a wife based solely because she is punctual. There is more to it than that...

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +707/-12418
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Hyundai Genesis 3.8 AWD, 2016 Honda Fit EX-L Navi, 2019 Genesis G80 3.3t Sport, 2021 Honda CB650R, 2023 Honda Monkey
« Reply #381 on: February 02, 2011, 05:53:25 am »
I'm not typically one to defend the Feline Optic one...but I gotta say that I'm not why sure his quote warrants this commentary.  I mean hey, it's an observation on buying a new car...I think it sucks too and I didn't even have to pay it.

Viewed in isolation - or in the context of the posts of a more balanced contributor.... maybe.  Viewed in the context of the near endless stream of import bashing that has defined this particular contributor (under his new name and his old)... c'mon.

Jaeger
Wokeism is nothing more than the recognition and opposition of bigotry in all its forms.  Bigots are predictably triggered.

CatsEye68

« Reply #382 on: February 02, 2011, 07:13:39 am »
I'm not typically one to defend the Feline Optic one...but I gotta say that I'm not why sure his quote warrants this commentary.  I mean hey, it's an observation on buying a new car...I think it sucks too and I didn't even have to pay it.

Viewed in isolation - or in the context of the posts of a more balanced contributor.... maybe.  Viewed in the context of the near endless stream of import bashing that has defined this particular contributor (under his new name and his old)... c'mon.

You confuse "import bashing" with "contributor criticism", particularly those contributors *cough* who make the same posts over and over again. I guess you also missed my positive comments about the Civic, VW, Saab, and the Buick Regal, all imports.

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +290/-389
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 12 Mazda 5 GT 6MT
« Reply #383 on: February 02, 2011, 11:23:17 am »
Great duo, MTD. :) Let's see some snowy parking lot drifting action!

Offline Gamefreak

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +3/-5
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 11 Hyundai Elantra GLS 6MT 4dr
« Reply #384 on: February 02, 2011, 08:10:17 pm »
So, 8 days after I signed the deal to purchase my car, they now have no idea where one is.  They might know on Tuesday, which at that point will be 14 days after I signed the deal.  I understand that Hyundai isn't manufacturing many vehicles with the manual transmission, it's a new model with low inventory, and that I only want it in one colour, but two weeks (or more!) to simply locate a vehicle?

Offline Ice

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +15/-25
  • 2009 Corolla XRS
    • View Profile
« Reply #385 on: February 02, 2011, 08:41:31 pm »
So, 8 days after I signed the deal to purchase my car, they now have no idea where one is.  They might know on Tuesday, which at that point will be 14 days after I signed the deal.  I understand that Hyundai isn't manufacturing many vehicles with the manual transmission, it's a new model with low inventory, and that I only want it in one colour, but two weeks (or more!) to simply locate a vehicle?
How upfront were they with you about a possible wait time. When I got my Corolla it was the first couple of months of the new model (like you) and the XRS with auto (and especially manual) were extremely rare at that point. They said it could be 6-8 weeks. It ended up being about 7 which was bang on.

Offline Gamefreak

• Enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #386 on: February 02, 2011, 09:21:15 pm »
How upfront were they with you about a possible wait time. When I got my Corolla it was the first couple of months of the new model (like you) and the XRS with auto (and especially manual) were extremely rare at that point. They said it could be 6-8 weeks. It ended up being about 7 which was bang on.

When I signed the deal with them last week, I thought they'd have it this week.  Talking to them today, the one they thought was in Vancouver either didn't materialize or was already spoken for, so they now say they might have it next week.  At no point did they ever mention 6-8 weeks, so I hope they're not stringing me along into a 7 week wait like you experienced.

Offline Ice

• Drunk on Fuel
  • 2009 Corolla XRS
    • View Profile
« Reply #387 on: February 02, 2011, 11:26:02 pm »

When I signed the deal with them last week, I thought they'd have it this week.  Talking to them today, the one they thought was in Vancouver either didn't materialize or was already spoken for, so they now say they might have it next week.  At no point did they ever mention 6-8 weeks, so I hope they're not stringing me along into a 7 week wait like you experienced.
In my case I was ok with it because they were upfront. It was actually factory ordered from Cambridge as one didn't exist yet. In your case.... if they say next week then they should have a solid line on something.

ironwood

« Reply #388 on: February 03, 2011, 10:27:42 am »
Well...so much for the Elantra!  Had an appointment this aft to deal for a Limited, but they have just jacked financing rates on Hyundai's 'build and price' as of Feb 1 and it blows it out of the water for me.  I'd be looking at another $30/35/mo.  Confirmed what I saw on line with dealer and cancelled.  Back to the drawing board.

I see that.  So the financing rate has gone from 3.35% in December, to 2.99% for January, to 3.79% for February.

It was the leasing rates I was looking at....they have gone from 1.9/48 mo. and 2.9/60 mo. to 2.9/48 mo. and 4.59/60 mo as of Feb 1.  I was considering leasing the Limited overr 60 months and the change in rates adds nearly $30/mo to the financing......so I'm starting to consider all my other options, including waiting to see the Optima.

Offline Gamefreak

• Enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #389 on: February 04, 2011, 01:01:23 am »
The Hyundai Elantra sedan was the best-selling passenger car overall in January, as well as the best-selling vehicle in the compact segment, according to Hyundai Auto Canada. The model sold 2,253 units in January, versus 2,146 Toyota Corollas and 1,142 Honda Civics.

Certainly good news for Hyundai, but I don't know enough about the industry to judge whether this is surprising, or just to be expected with the introduction of a new model.  I also wonder what the breakdown was between 2010 & 2011 models.
Has anyone actually seen an ad for the Elantra on tv yet?  I saw the sheep ad (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4UZeewRUfsI) once, but that's it.

Offline conwelpic

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +85/-815
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2020 Mazda CX-30 GS FWD - Snowflake white
« Reply #390 on: February 04, 2011, 09:55:56 am »
here a couple of ads for the Super Bowl on the Elantra and one on the Sonata Hybrid

/Hyundai Wants You To Snap Out Of It With Its Super Bowl Commercials [w/VIDEO]

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +471/-416
    • View Profile
  • Cars: since the beginning of Saf timeLOTUS ELAN,STANDARD... 10, MG midget, MGB (2),Mazda Millennia,Hyundai Veloster and 1997 Ford Ranger 2014 Subaru Forester XT
« Reply #391 on: February 04, 2011, 12:01:07 pm »
..I want those olde cell phones and phonographs and Unicycles...screw self satisfied  Geoff BRIDGES.......................cain't he like  pic wether he wants to be a COW_A_BOY or a COUNTRY-Like-SINGER......don't see him an Elantra whateffer which way he leans.......... :rofl2:..

« Last Edit: February 04, 2011, 12:03:32 pm by safristi »
Time is to stop everything happening at once

Offline Gamefreak

• Enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #392 on: February 06, 2011, 02:28:10 am »
I wanted a car with better mileage than my 01 Civic, and that narrowed the field quite a bit.  I also wanted a 6-speed manual, as noise/revs were high in highway driving on the Civic too.  I didn't want a diesel because the majority of my driving is a 20 minute commute to/from work, and diesels take forever to heat up in the dead of winter.  I looked at the Cruze, but only the manual Eco actually had better mileage, and the Elantra beat that in city driving anyway.

I forgot to mention that I didn't want a tire repair system, but an actual spare tire in case the tire is damaged in a way that sealant can't fix (i.e. the sidewall that went recently on my Civic).  Does anyone know if the spare is full-sized or just a temporary?  Still no word on where my new car is yet...
Going by the conversation here http://www.hyundai-forums.com/t58579-spare-tire.htm, Americans don't even have a spare tire as an option.

Offline MTD

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +9/-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #393 on: February 06, 2011, 03:48:28 am »
I ended up switching my colour choice to black. There were no white ones with the options I wanted in the area and I dont want to wait for one to get shipped or come in on their next order. I dont think Ive ever even seen a manual one either. They all seem to be autos. A very popular car indeed. The few times Ive been to my dealer, there are alot of people looking and test driving them. I have still yet to see one on the street though.

The car does have a spare tire with jack/kit in the trunk. I didnt take a real good look at it, but its probably a temp. I dont think Ive ever owned a car that had a full size spare. The temp in my Genesis is pretty funny looking. 18" in diameter and alloy, but only about 4" wide. I looks like a wagon wheel.

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-574
  • Profesional Dash Stroker
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Tundra, GTI, Triumph Tiger, KTM, C63 AMG, FZ-09, Triumph Speed Triple, VW Golf Wagon TDI, BMW 535i, Honda CRF250L, Hyundai Genesis Coupe, Mitsubishi Outlander, Lotus Exige, Subaru Impreza, Peugeot 106, BMW Z4, Toyota MR2 MKIII, Ford Sierra Sapphire
« Reply #394 on: February 06, 2011, 08:19:44 am »
The temp in my Genesis is pretty funny looking. 18" in diameter and alloy, but only about 4" wide. I looks like a wagon wheel.

If I could get 4 of them with snows on I'd never get stuck again!

Offline Gamefreak

• Enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #395 on: February 08, 2011, 07:35:46 pm »
I visited the dealership again today, two weeks to the day after signing the deal.  Not surprisingly, they have no idea where the car is.  Two weeks?  Four weeks?  Who knows!
They tried to upsell me on an automatic but to hell with that.

Offline dougjp

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +165/-170
  • Cars: 2019 VW Jetta GLI, 2014 Elantra GT
    • View Profile
« Reply #396 on: February 08, 2011, 07:46:49 pm »
And the news keeps coming, and now its getting interesting for those "left out here" who are excited by other than fuel economy. Alas, some torque and reasonable power to go with light weight! I hope there's a 6 speed manual to go with that.

http://www.hyundai-blog.com/index.php/2011/02/08/2012-hyundai-elantra-coupe-release-date-announced/

Offline Ice

• Drunk on Fuel
  • 2009 Corolla XRS
    • View Profile
« Reply #397 on: February 08, 2011, 07:50:49 pm »
And the news keeps coming, and now its getting interesting for those "left out here" who are excited by other than fuel economy. Alas, some torque and reasonable power to go with light weight! I hope there's a 6 speed manual to go with that.

http://www.hyundai-blog.com/index.php/2011/02/08/2012-hyundai-elantra-coupe-release-date-announced/
Oh .. so that's cool! The Civic Si in the crosshairs now too eh?

Offline EV Dan

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +480/-383
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '21 Venzaurus
« Reply #398 on: February 08, 2011, 08:12:58 pm »

Oh .. so that's cool! The Civic Si in the crosshairs now too eh?

"Hyundai engineers will apply a gasoline direct injection -GDI technology and turbocharger to the existing powerplant, which means more power than now. Expect the 1.8L engine to churn out around 210 horsepower.

The 2012 Hyundai Elantra Coupe will also get a dual-clutch transmission (DCT), which debuted recently in the 2012 Hyundai Veloster 3 door coupe."

:skid:  Is there any corresponding Korean car on that market or will it be exclusively NA? Time to register elantracoupe.com and make a dedicated thread here  :)
Give a man a fish, he eats for a day. Teach the man to fish and he wakes you up at 5 in the morning.

Offline koun_g7

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #399 on: February 11, 2011, 12:00:54 pm »
Hi, I'm new here.

I'm starting to see the new Elantra on the road, it sure is a looker. And now with the exiting news of a coupe, it really looks like Hyundai is bringing their A game.

By the looks of it, my next car will probably be korean.