Author Topic: Auto Tech: Oxygen sensors  (Read 3104 times)

Offline Autos_Editor

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +91/-560
    • View Profile
Auto Tech: Oxygen sensors
« on: April 21, 2010, 04:03:59 am »

There are two different types of oxygen sensors in a vehicle's exhaust system and both are necessary to keep the engine running properly.  If your engine starts to misfire, it could be a faulty oxygen sensor, says Technical Editor, Jim Kerr.

Read More...

MoDo

Re: Auto Tech: Oxygen sensors
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2010, 08:38:29 am »
My 2000 Toyota Tundra has been chewing up O2 sensors and seems to be a common problem with Tundra's (incl. rusting frames and rack & pinion issues).  The biggest frustration is Toyota Canada charges $300+ for the sensor when the same OEM sensor can be bought on Amazon USA for around $70.  The price differential is so extreme as to be totally unjustifiable.

Offline ax89

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2010, 10:43:33 am »
My 2000 Toyota Tundra has been chewing up O2 sensors and seems to be a common problem with Tundra's (incl. rusting frames and rack & pinion issues).  The biggest frustration is Toyota Canada charges $300+ for the sensor when the same OEM sensor can be bought on Amazon USA for around $70.  The price differential is so extreme as to be totally unjustifiable.

How incredibly frustrating.  I think I would buy them online and either install them myself or find a shadetree mechanic to do it.

I had a 98 BMW 328i that started running quite roughly in the winter of 2001/2002.  Over a period of 4 months, all of the oxygen sensors needed replacing.  Fortunately the car was still under warranty at the time because that would have been a big whack in the wallet otherwise.

Offline blur911

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +244/-779
  • Nasty Weasel
    • View Profile
  • Cars: and bikes by age:BMW, Porsche, Subaru, Suzuki, Suzuki, Mazda, Jaguar, Kawasaki, Porsche, GMC, Suzuki
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2010, 11:50:46 am »
One thing to watch out for around O2 sensors is the use of silicone.  The vapours from it will quickly ruin any O2 sensor in the vicinity.  Keep them well separated.
Mr Pickypants

kirm

« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2010, 01:37:11 pm »
Great article Jim. By your comment on cracked manifolds, I take it that too much O2 causes the sensor to report a lean condition to the computer but I'm curious how that relates to the voltage. Does voltage rise or drop with O2 quantity?