Author Topic: Steering You Right: The rising costs of motorcycle insurance and registration  (Read 20615 times)

Offline Sir Osis of Liver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1376/-1726
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 KTM DUKE 390, 2019 VW Jetta GLI 35th Anniversary
There is ignorance and then there is willful ignorance and then again there is stupidity.  You motorcycle "enthusiasts" fit all three categories.  You also appear to possess a very large amount of collective denial.  Whistling in the dark is not a very good survival strategy.

If you can function through your childish anger and immaturity, go to the NHTSA website and do a search for "motorcycles traffic safety facts," and carefully consider what it tells you. 

Change your ways while you still can.

Care to point out the collective denial?

Bikers know what they do is dangerous. They're just willing to accept higher risk than the majority. It's obvious that you are terribly risk averse, fine. That's your choice, it's not mine. That doesn't make me stupid or living in denial.

On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.

H. L. Mencken

Offline takwu

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +0/-1
    • View Profile
I think the first issue is to separate 1st party insurance and 3rd party.

I don't know about Quebec, but here in BC you're only required to get 3rd party insurance for car or bike.

The argument for this increase in insurance rate is based on riders injuries.  If the accident was the rider's own fault, it would be covered by his own life/health insurance, not his bike insurance.  If it was another driver/rider's fault, it would be covered by 3rd party insurance of that other driver/rider.

Either way, that shouldn't affect 3rd party insurance rate of the injured rider.

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +758/-938
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
priggly,

Offline whaddaiknow

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +185/-4812
    • View Profile
Priggly is not stupid, just ignorant and someone hiding behind the internet to compensate for his certain inabilities or shortcomings.

Just a few years ago, I was scared s..tless to even come close to a motorcycle. In my 30's, I decided to give it a shot a took a motorcycle safety course. I fell in love with it. Outside of getting a new hobby, it gave me the satisfaction of overcoming my own fear and learning a new skill.

Did it make me a safer driver? You betcha. I agree with a lot of posters here. I never fail to check my blind spot. I actually understand why bikers tend to occupy the left lane (not because it is the fast lane, you moron, but because it reduces the chances of getting hit by a cell phone yapping prick at least from one side).

I learned why we have 3 yellow dots on many controlled intersections. NONE of the car drivers I asked who don't ride bikes knew what they were for and the majority never even noticed they existed! Do you know what they are for, priggly?

I don't speed anymore because no matter how fast you think you are, you are not a match for a liter bike.

I have 3 kids so I know I have to be safe in order to stay alive because I have something to live for. Now if I can't afford it anymore, I would regrettfully get out of the sport but it's unfortunate that the govmnt, instead of doing their homework and promoting safer driving, chooses the  the most direct way to account for their ignorance.

Be safe.

Offline PJungnitsch

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +170/-337
    • View Profile
    • Travel in Africa
  • Cars: Subaru Crosstrek, Lexus RX350, Evolve Carbon, Biktrix Juggernaut, Yamaha TW200
Here's a pretty cool series of photos 'Anatomy of a Highside':

http://www.triumph675.net/forum/showthread.php?t=40391

My accident last fall was apparently similar, although from locking the back brake and swerving around a deer rather than overgunning it.

First major injury in 24 years of motorcycle riding though, and some summers I ride every day. The horse riders I know are far more prone to damaging themselves.

fl

Normally, I spend an average of $500 per week-end while riding my motorcycle (sometime more sometime less). If you multiply that  $500 by the number of my friends who ride with me ( we are a groupe of 10 riders) that represent a serious  amount of money per season. Our contribution goes to the restaurant, hotel, gaz station and others. On top of that, the government collect the share of taxe...

Given the stupidity of the Québec SAAQ and the lack of respect toward the motorcyclist community, my friend and I have decided that we will not ride in this province any more so the government wont collect my taxes ( too bad for the restaurant and hotel . we will spend our money in new angland where the road and in much better condition anyway.

So you wont see me and my friends in those demonstration. Our way to protest is to spent our money where we are welcome...in the USA. By the way I am still cover the the no fault program even if i ride in the states....

Ha ha ha.

FL ;)

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +310/-6812
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Hobby Car: 15 Mustang Vert, V6, manual, 3.55 lsd; 2024 MDX Aspec; 2022 F150 TREMOR lifted
Ontario is becoming brutal.

Essentially you are paying 4x that of a car.

6 month usage at best and on average, low kms.

I've quit and so has my son.

Currently, I've settled on getting scr*wed over for my sled and ATV instead.

For liability only, my sled costs me about $15. each time I take it out.  ::)   

Offline PJungnitsch

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +170/-337
    • View Profile
    • Travel in Africa
  • Cars: Subaru Crosstrek, Lexus RX350, Evolve Carbon, Biktrix Juggernaut, Yamaha TW200
I just paid my insurance at $131 for the year, PL/PD with Wawanesa (who scales down the premium with bike size). Initial quote was only 97 but mandatory jump to the same 2 mill coverage as my truck drove it up some. The write-off I had last year apparently made little difference. Registration was 38.00 until Jan 31.

It's not just the smaller bike either, Jevco (who doesn't scale) was willing to renew my Vstrom, collision and all perils, at 440.00 for the year.

Glad I live in Alberta.

Bluethumb

Reengineering of business - processes
« Reply #28 on: April 20, 2010, 05:05:39 pm »
The process of these changes should occur with the use of a specific method that would allow such changes with maximum efficiency.

Of all the currently existing methods in this area the most progressive, radical and universal is the reengineering of business - processes. BPR is a trend that emerged at the junction of two different areas - governance (management) and information. That is why re-engineering requires new specific means of representation and processing of information problem, understandable as managers and developers of information systems. Such tools require the integration of the key achievements of information technology and associated tools to support reengineering.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2011, 12:23:09 pm by Bluethumb »

vdk

I think the first issue is to separate 1st party insurance and 3rd party.

I don't know about Quebec, but here in BC you're only required to get 3rd party insurance for car or bike.

The argument for this increase in insurance rate is based on riders injuries.  If the accident was the rider's own fault, it would be covered by his own life/health insurance, not his bike insurance.  If it was another driver/rider's fault, it would be covered by 3rd party insurance of that other driver/rider.

Either way, that shouldn't affect 3rd party insurance rate of the injured rider.

That might not be true. At least in Ontario, in case of an accident the insurance company has to pay for your hospitalization.

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Hobby Car: 15 Mustang Vert, V6, manual, 3.55 lsd; 2024 MDX Aspec; 2022 F150 TREMOR lifted
In Ontario the bike owner's insurance company must pay all their rehabilitation costs to $100,000 and pay replacement income based on 40K annual income indefinitely regardless of fault.

If the bike owner has private insurance, the private insurer pays first, but that still doesn't lower the rate.

bike from MB

If you think insurance for motorcycles is high in Quebec you should check out here in Manitoba where we too have only gov't rin insurance and no competition. I ride a a bmw 2005 k1200s which I admit is quick but let me mitigate the perceived threat level to insurance companies.....I am 56, riding snice 17,  never had an at fault accident, no moving violatons in 25+ years and my insurance bill for this bike with the max 25% good driver discount is approx $2500. Quebec insurance rates sound pretty good to me.

Insurance here is simply another tax. From it Police depts recieve some funding, donations are made to various places, they even funded truck driver training one year. Staffers in some MLA's offices are paid by MPI (Manitoba Public Insurance). MPI admits to having $2 billion in their rainy day fund.....this extracted from a province of 1.2 million people.

kirm

Motorcycles are a menace to their drivers and the drivers of cars.... Blah, blah, blah, I'm scared of life...blah blah blah........ They should, in short, be banned altogether. 

Personally I think trolls should be banned altogether.

ROTFLMAO!!!!!!! Especially "Blah, blah, blah, I'm scared of life...blah blah blah". Oh man, I've laughed for the day!

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
I am 56, riding snice 17,  never had an at fault accident, no moving violatons in 25+ years and my insurance bill for this bike with the max 25% good driver discount is approx $2500.

Well that is extreme.  Seems to me that your government just wants bikes off the streets.  In Ontario, your situation would cost about $900 plus $100 in new TAX !!!!!coming this summer.

Offline DarkHelmet

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +0/-1
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '10 Golf 2.5 5-spd, '06 X-Trail BV
I'm 45, and been riding for 25+ yrs.  No claim/accidents.  One year of coverage on a 2008 1600 cruiser = approx. $650.00.  Sure glad biking is just a recreation and not a necessity.

Offline blur911

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +244/-779
  • Nasty Weasel
    • View Profile
  • Cars: and bikes by age:BMW, Porsche, Subaru, Suzuki, Suzuki, Mazda, Jaguar, Kawasaki, Porsche, GMC, Suzuki
I'm 45, and been riding for 25+ yrs.  No claim/accidents.  One year of coverage on a 2008 1600 cruiser = approx. $650.00.  Sure glad biking is just a recreation and not a necessity.

Is that including collision and comprehensive? 

Including those would double my Ontario rates over just having PL PD.
Mr Pickypants

bike from MB

That is full coverage, $5 million liability (that costs 35/yr), $100 deductable for collision, theft, all perils etc, administrative fees and plate(about 70 I think).
Last year I had a written quote from Primmum insurance when it looked like I might end up in Calgary for $571 for similar coverage. Last time I checked Primmum was not a registered charity so I must guess that they figure they will make money on me at that price. What does that tell you about Manitoba Public Insurance? Most other provinces are no more than half that $2500 or quite a bit less.

EAD

All i have to say is thank god i don't live in Quebec. I have my own issues with owning a motorcycle in other provinces but this cinched the deal for me... i think i might even go through Maine next time i head out east...... just so i don't get dinged for some weird sport bike traveling through Quebec tax

Offline blur911

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +244/-779
  • Nasty Weasel
    • View Profile
  • Cars: and bikes by age:BMW, Porsche, Subaru, Suzuki, Suzuki, Mazda, Jaguar, Kawasaki, Porsche, GMC, Suzuki
. i think i might even go through Maine next time i head out east...... just so i don't get dinged for some weird sport bike traveling through Quebec tax

No Kidding, apparently every time I tow my bikes through Quebec I am risking a $200 fine for not purchasing some Quebec insurance for towing things that have wheels. ?? ???