Author Topic: Steering You Right: The rising costs of motorcycle insurance and registration  (Read 20619 times)

Offline Autos_Editor

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +91/-560
    • View Profile
The cost of registering a motorcycle in Quebec has skyrocketed because the provincial government is subsidizing its no-fault accident insurance plan to help defray medical costs for victims of motorcycle accidents, reports lawyer Jordan Charness.
Read More...

Offline pickles

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +0/-0
    • View Profile
"muffler placed at the rear and angled upward "

"rear wheel driven by a chain"

"two disc brakes in front and one disc brake in the back"

I been riding motorcycles for over 30 years.  All mufflers are place at the rear are they not?????  Odd looking if you had a muffler facing towards the front.

Well you can have rear wheel driven by belt but are do they suspect it's safer if you "had the front wheel driven by chain"

It is safer to "have no brakes"................ to go back to the days of cables and drum brakes.

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +298/-675
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Taos
They want a horizontal muffler, shaft drive, no engine fairing, a high windshield  and one brake at each end.  I am no motorcyclist but doesn't this describe one of the earlier BMW twins?

Or... for these evil motorcyclists to move out of Quebec to Ontario.

A thought occurs... What would Montreal traffic be like with 500,000 little Honda cycles like any other 3rd world city...fun I'd think.
The most radical revolutionary will become a conservative the day after the revolution.

Offline ax89

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +0/-0
    • View Profile
If Quebec wants to surcharge vehicle registrations to cover medical costs, etc, they should be surcharging cars and trucks, not motorcycles.

Surcharging motorcycle owners is like blaming the victim.

I and several friends drove motorcycles in our university days - it was the only transportation we could afford (other than the bus).  Only one person had an accident - and that was a car driver who ran a red light right when he had a green, with the resulting collision.  However there were many close calls, every one of those was the result of a car driver pulling out in front of a motorcycle when it wasn't safe to do so.

It's always easier to blame the motorcycle rider in a serious accident - they usually can't fight back because they are often dead (unfortunately).

priggly

Motorcycles are a menace to their drivers and the drivers of cars.  Motorcycle drivers commonly flaunt the rules of the road, weaving in and out of traffic and routinely violating lane change standards.  They are also frequently injured, maimed and killed and represent a disproportional cost to the health care system, way out of proportion to their numbers.

They ought to be charged at least ten times the registration that drivers of cars pay.  Quite frankly, they are a marker of a third world status country and have no place in Canada.  They should, in short, be banned altogether.  The roads would then be much safer for car drivers.

Offline blur911

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +244/-779
  • Nasty Weasel
    • View Profile
  • Cars: and bikes by age:BMW, Porsche, Subaru, Suzuki, Suzuki, Mazda, Jaguar, Kawasaki, Porsche, GMC, Suzuki
Motorcycles are a menace to their drivers and the drivers of cars.... Blah, blah, blah, I'm scared of life...blah blah blah........ They should, in short, be banned altogether. 

Personally I think trolls should be banned altogether.
Mr Pickypants

priggly

Personally I think trolls should be banned altogether.

Then you wouldn't be here posting your tripe, now would you?
« Last Edit: April 19, 2010, 11:34:41 am by priggly »

speedygonzales

What an ignorant post!  I've been commuting by motorcycle for the last 7 years every day between May and October.  I surely do not fit into the criteria you have outlined as being a motorcyclist.  In fact, using your logic since the cell phone ban, I've seen numerous motorists disregard the law and in turn place my life in danger.  I propose banning all four wheeled vehicles since a select minority choose to ignore the law.  Just wait until fuel hits $3.00/L and people start looking for alternate forms of fuel efficient transportation. Scooters and motorcycles will grow in popularity and then once peoples concentration is on riding instead of reading, texting and applying lip stick, accidents in general will decline.

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +471/-416
    • View Profile
  • Cars: since the beginning of Saf timeLOTUS ELAN,STANDARD... 10, MG midget, MGB (2),Mazda Millennia,Hyundai Veloster and 1997 Ford Ranger 2014 Subaru Forester XT
Priggly is still on his Learners Permit............... ;D
Time is to stop everything happening at once

Calvin

Wow...priggly...I've never actually signed up, even as a regular reader...but for a guy with only 5 posts, you shoulda called yourself something else.  Little bit of a d-bag considering (referring to your second comment).  And your point sucks - I've been on both sides, and I know I've had some close calls with bikes before too...but it was because they were behind the a-pillar and I didn't see them.  My fault.  On the flip side, I remember distinctly riding my V-Max in Winnipeg and people so obviously squeezing me on Portage Ave (no way I could have been driving like an idiot with the rush hour traffic) that I wondered if I had a permanently etched middle finger on my back.  Bikes are by nature quicker than cars, but papa dipstick in his mini van raced me to every light and when I put my blinker on to turn in front of him, because I needed to get to the right lane, he gunned his engine so I couldn't possibly unless I wanted to become a hood ornament and then no doubt blamed for the accident - it was probably you, you...d!#$*#.  People like you are far more dangerous than people who ride motorcycles.  Banning you would make the roads safer for bikers...and other car drivers too.  Enough with you...

As for the whole insurance thing, here in Mb they've raised the premiums so high too I got out of it.  My brother only insures his bike the 2-3 weeks he actually rides, whether that's 3 days this weekend and a week over Sturgis is how he works it out.  No more personal use for him as far as taking it to work and such.  He can't afford it.  I've heard the person in charge at MPI has much the same attitude as prig up there.  Which is why our rates have skyrocketed out of control too.  Alberta seems to be the place to be if you want to ride.  For now.  I'd love to ride to work, it's only 35 km one way, and I'd save a ton on fuel, but the cost to ride outweighs the cost to ride if ya know what I mean.  Too bad really.

Offline blur911

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +244/-779
  • Nasty Weasel
    • View Profile
  • Cars: and bikes by age:BMW, Porsche, Subaru, Suzuki, Suzuki, Mazda, Jaguar, Kawasaki, Porsche, GMC, Suzuki
Yup, once insurance got too crazy my GPZ900R became a garage queen that only occasionally gets out to the dragstrip.  In Ontario you cannot get a policy for when you actually ride the bike, they only have annual policies.

Insurance cost far outweigh the gas price difference of getting 6L/100km with the bike vs 16L/100km with the F150.
Ahhh, insurance companies doing their bit for climate change.

priggly

Driving a car is dangerous enough.  Anyone driving a motorcycle either has a death wish or, judging by your comical retorts, is terminally stupid.

When the authorities scrape what is left of you motorcycle "enthusiasts" up off the asphalt, don't say you weren't warned.

Bluethumb

What's your problem "priggly", bad experience on a motorcycle? If we want to generalize, we can just go ahead and assume that anyone that would use the name "priggly" is a pretentious, self serving know-it-all who's probably more of a danger on the road than 99% of the population. There are numerous people that have been safely driving motorcycles for decades.  Like and modes of transportation, there are people that abuse the privilege of driving. People that drive motorcycles are generally MORE aware of their surroundings, because being oblivious gets you killed. It usually translates into people that do their shoulder checks in cars as well, because they're used to it, not like the friggen Tim Hortons sipping drones like yourself who, we can assume, don't use signal lights, or check blind spots.
     As for the insurance issue, that's nothing but a tax grab and there's no justification for it. It should be challenged in court as to it's validity. Quebec is going to kill the industry there, as funny as it is, because Bombardier is based there. They won't stop with motorcycles, just watch, they'll put the recreation industry in the ground with these stupid rates.  Ban smoking, it burns billions of dollars in health care costs, far more than what they're claiming here. If they want to fix the problem, limit CC's of beginners, take mandatory driver training courses, and graduated licenses.  People get hurt on bikes usually to lack of experience, and getting on a bike that is far to powerful for their skill levels.

Offline Sir Osis of Liver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1376/-1726
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 KTM DUKE 390, 2019 VW Jetta GLI 35th Anniversary
Driving a car is dangerous enough.  Anyone driving a motorcycle either has a death wish or, judging by your comical retorts, is terminally stupid.

When the authorities scrape what is left of you motorcycle "enthusiasts" up off the asphalt, don't say you weren't warned.

A d-bag is a d-bag whether on two wheels or four.

Just because you don't have the balls and/or skill to ride, don't denigrate those who do. I've been riding for close to 30 years on dirt and street. No accidents so far.

Of course on a bike, you have to be aware of your surroundings and you don't get to play with a Blackberry, read the Post, shave, slather on makeup or yak endlessly on the cell phone like almost every cage driver I see commuting.
On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.

H. L. Mencken

Offline toolatecrew

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +16/-25
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2013 Ford Focus Titanium 5 speed with Handling Pack, 2007 Nissan Senta 6 speed
Quebec is just screwy anyways tying up insurance and registration costs. But they have to be different.

As far as costs of motorcycle insurance going up you have to pay to play. Insurance works by them charging premiums high enough to offset the payouts. If payouts on Motorcycle claims are high costs are going to be high plain and simple. If people want to drive bikes that's fine. I don't have an issue with most riders who are very courteous. But high powered sport bikes driven on the street are very likley to have a rider involved in a high speed accident.

Seems that there are fewer people who want to putt putt around on a 1300 cc bike that goes 0-100 in less than 4 seconds than there are who actually want to GET TO 100 in less than 4 seconds.  Its unfortunate this spills over to other bikes and riders but its simple physics. You drive a motorbike 160 mph on the road and fall off the injuries are bad.

They are simply doing the math.

Bluethumb

I can't agree with your logic toolatecrew, there are far more serious and fatal car collisions than there are bike accidents.  The math is plainly "aimed" at a certain motorist group. There's risk to everyone on the roads, doesn't matter what you're driving.  You can't tell me that the payout on a $13,000 bike is more than when soccer mom wraps her BMW SUV around a pole while talking on a cell phone.  The injuries of people crashing cars are 160Km/h are no better than a bike.  Like I said, instead of putting people off of bikes with outrageous insurance premiums, look to Europe and get some friggen information before you rape people with stupid knee jerk reactions. Man I hate insurance companies.

Boff

It does cost more to insure motorcyclists, yet inattentive and incompetent car drivers are so much to blame for this. I wonder if the Quebec gov't actuaries went and calculated the fraction of claims paid out that were traced to the fault of the motorcyclist? I doubt it. More likely, they are picking on motorcyclists because it is politically expedient.

priggly

There is ignorance and then there is willful ignorance and then again there is stupidity.  You motorcycle "enthusiasts" fit all three categories.  You also appear to possess a very large amount of collective denial.  Whistling in the dark is not a very good survival strategy.

If you can function through your childish anger and immaturity, go to the NHTSA website and do a search for "motorcycles traffic safety facts," and carefully consider what it tells you. 

Change your ways while you still can.

bluethumb

Priggly, I fail to see your connection between stupidity and motorcyclists. I clearly see the link between your distain and ignorance though. The only person being childish here is clearly you with your off-handed comments about people that have a different opinion and interests than you.  There's no denial about the fact that there are motorcycle accidents, it's plainly obvious, if there's a motor in it there's going to be accidents. There's lots of car accidents too compared to air travel, so should we all go out and get a f***ing airplane? I could call you an idiot, but I don't know your background, so I'll save my opinions. 

Offline overtakeyouintheleftlane

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +2/-0
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2003 Pontiac Grand AM (sent for scrap), 2006 Subaru Impreza Wagon (sold) and a 2015 Hyundai Santa Fe Sport, 2017 Hyundai Accent GL sedan
priggly - Yeah, I've seen it too, however that's the minority. If you want to compare motorcyclists to cars, I'd say I see 1/10 stupid bikers and 7-8/10 stupid car drivers. The biker has to be safer (and they are) as they are more likely to get hurt/killed. Take note that their bikes ALWAYS have their full lighting on all the time and generally wear very bright clothing. I see it everyday at 5am and at 10pm, cars driving with only DRL's or parking lights or no lights whatsoever. How dumb are they? Very dumb. How dangerous is that? Very dangerous. At least the biker stays visible.

I never had a problem with a biker in 12 years of driving. They never do 50km/h in the merge lane to merge on the 401 which is 100km/h. A biker never endangers me like that. They get up to highway speed quickly which is what I like. Someone with common sense. Now most car drivers I encounter attempt to merge way too slow for highway speeds. God, I hate those car drivers.

I'd say the car drivers are the dangerous ones.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2010, 06:26:44 pm by overtakeyouintheleftlane »