Author Topic: Test Drive: 2010 Ford Transit Connect XLT  (Read 8892 times)

Offline Autos_Editor

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +91/-560
    • View Profile
Test Drive: 2010 Ford Transit Connect XLT
« on: April 08, 2010, 04:07:23 am »

An ideal vehicle for such urban concerns as flower shops, pizza joints, couriers and rat exterminators, the Transit Connect has a huge cargo area and 'is surprisingly enjoyable to drive,' says reviewer, Peter Bleakney.

Read More...

Morgan

Re: Test Drive: 2010 Ford Transit Connect XLT
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2010, 08:43:35 am »
If it could tow even a light load (2,000 lbs), I'd be interested but . . . what's it rated in for in Europe?? 

They often have a different view on towing.

Offline 2JDM

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +119/-141
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2010, 12:15:12 pm »
I have seen quite a few of these already. Excellent, efficient light cargo hauler. Props to Ford on bringing it to North America.

Offline Winterpeg

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +8/-10
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '07 Chev Malibu LT V6
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2010, 01:46:35 pm »
Yes, kudos for Ford ....great little cargo carrier....great idea.   ;)
Have Car......Will Travel

Dan

« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2010, 01:49:31 pm »
Goes to show you that you dont need a gas guzzler to move around cargo...great move by Ford

Offline Bubba

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +382/-442
  • Vice President, Autos.ca Arizona Operations
    • View Profile
    • My photo site
  • Cars: 2013 Toyota Corolla LE
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2010, 05:38:04 pm »
I talked to a parts driver for Piston Ring earlier this week and he loves the Transit.  Plenty of room and all the cargo is safe and dry inside.
My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government. - Thomas Jefferson

John

« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2010, 06:30:22 pm »
Why do we not get the diesel engines that are available ANYWHERE else?

Offline Rupert

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +49/-160
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2010, 05:22:41 pm »
I like this a lot and like the first poster am interested in towing. If a version could be fitted with enough power and torque to get a tow rating of 3500 LB. it would perhaps also have appropriate GCWR to have enough in hand for a 2000 LB or a litle more trailer. Maybe a diesel would do the job. Asking too much maybe.
Anyway it would be a boon for those who like to tour on a budget.
In between trips it would be a great vehicle to have around for general use. Much better than a pick-up mostly.

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +298/-675
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Taos
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2010, 06:49:44 pm »
Why do we not get the diesel engines that are available ANYWHERE else?

Because, and this should be a sticky maybe, the EPA set emission standards that made no allowance for the different combustion characteristics of Diesel and compression ignition vs Gasoline and spark ignition.  Canada took on these standards "as is".  The other major set of emissions regulations are the ECE standards which have been adopted in several other parts of the world.  These are just about as strict as the EPA but they DO allow for the different characteristics of Diesel engines.

Should Canada have taken the EPA standards? Yes for Gasoline engines but for diesels they probably should have taken the ECE standards.    Sooner or later all these standards will merge into a single  grams of carbon per kilometer and grams of Nitrogen oxides and hydrocarbons per kilometer standard anyway, maybe in 5-6 years.
The most radical revolutionary will become a conservative the day after the revolution.

Mitlov

« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2010, 04:00:44 am »
The Transit Connect makes sooooooo much sense for small businesses.  I think it's going to do great for them.

But I wish they had made something along the lines of the Transit Connect Family One a production model.  Spruce up the interior and add a panoramic sunroof and you have a super-roomy, versatile, unique family hauler that's also easy on the wallet.  Heck, make the Escape Hybrid powertrain an available option (god knows you have room for the batteries in the back) and watch them fly off the lots.  And what a wonderful car for someone who has a special needs child or a disabled adult in the family.  You can walk around in back without stooping.  That's one of the things that I loved about the Element, is how I could move around freely in that big box in back.

It might also sell to the Scion "rave on wheels" crowd (especially if you make a 500-watt fancy-name sound system an available option).  The Transit Connect is so utilitarian in design that it's cool, or something like that.

JeffyBoy

« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2010, 12:50:58 pm »
(I know I'm late to the party and probably nobody is going to read this but.......)  First, I'll preface this by saying that I'm a Ford guy, and I really like this vehicle on its own.  But I seem to be the only person around that thinks it's WAY too expensive.  $28,229 for the "passenger" version is a lot of coin.  I know it is a uniquely-positioned vehicle, but I can't help but think why someone wouldn't rather buy a stripper Dodge Caravan for only $20,945 (can most likely be had for even less at the dealer), take the back seats out, and you'd have exactly the same carrying capacity (Transit = 135.3 ft³, Caravan = 143.8 ft³).  The Caravan wouldn't be as tall inside, probably, but it would be pretty close.  Yes, the Transit has a 4-cyl and will undoubtedly be more fuel-efficient than the Caravan, but making up the $8-10K difference between the two purchase prices in fuel savings alone would take a long time...

newsie23

« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2010, 01:12:51 pm »
I think a 4 passenger version, ie rear bucket seats, would allow a sheet of plywood to 'stand up' in the back!

Offline Ice

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +15/-25
  • 2009 Corolla XRS
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2010, 06:46:06 pm »
(I know I'm late to the party and probably nobody is going to read this but.......)  First, I'll preface this by saying that I'm a Ford guy, and I really like this vehicle on its own.  But I seem to be the only person around that thinks it's WAY too expensive.  $28,229 for the "passenger" version is a lot of coin.  I know it is a uniquely-positioned vehicle, but I can't help but think why someone wouldn't rather buy a stripper Dodge Caravan for only $20,945 (can most likely be had for even less at the dealer), take the back seats out, and you'd have exactly the same carrying capacity (Transit = 135.3 ft³, Caravan = 143.8 ft³).  The Caravan wouldn't be as tall inside, probably, but it would be pretty close.  Yes, the Transit has a 4-cyl and will undoubtedly be more fuel-efficient than the Caravan, but making up the $8-10K difference between the two purchase prices in fuel savings alone would take a long time...
I wonder if part of the difference is importing the vehicle from the factory where they make them in Turkey.  Not sure.

Offline Snowman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +702/-1347
  • “It’s never crowded along the extra mile.”
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Cars: 2012 Audi TT-RS. 2011 Toyota Venza AWD.2004 Honda S2000 Bikes: Giant Defy Avdvanced 0. Giant Talon 29 "hardtail"
« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2010, 06:56:23 pm »
how long before one is lowered with a set of 20's mounted

Online rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7214
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 13, 2010, 07:06:36 pm »

I'm waiting for someone to make this into a compact RV...
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline Bubba

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +382/-442
  • Vice President, Autos.ca Arizona Operations
    • View Profile
    • My photo site
  • Cars: 2013 Toyota Corolla LE
« Reply #15 on: April 13, 2010, 07:13:08 pm »

Offline mrthompson

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +70/-42
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Honda CR-V (The Green Machine)
« Reply #16 on: April 14, 2010, 09:33:59 am »
I like that, except for the step bars.