Author Topic: Non-functional Crap Put on Cars  (Read 4753 times)

Offline Bubba

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +382/-442
  • Vice President, Autos.ca Arizona Operations
    • View Profile
    • My photo site
  • Cars: 2013 Toyota Corolla LE
Non-functional Crap Put on Cars
« on: April 07, 2010, 04:25:49 pm »
The owner of this car should have the keys taken from him/her.   ::)  :rofl2:

My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government. - Thomas Jefferson

Offline Rupert

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +49/-160
    • View Profile
Re: Non-functional Crap Put on Cars
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2010, 06:01:28 pm »
For most cars the tachometer is non functional crap. Especially so with automatic cars; when was the last time you looked at it. And when you do, with aoutomatic, what are you going to do with the sighting.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1255/-7217
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2010, 06:04:49 pm »
Yikes!!
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline Scarecrow

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +41/-17
  • Cars on the brain
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Mazda6, Mazda MX-5 Miata (sold), Shelby 427S/C Cobra, Triumph Tiger 750
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2010, 06:14:24 pm »
Nearly all cars with rear-mounted spoilers qualify.  For the most part, these are nothing more than cosmetic affectations.
"Anyone who drives faster than you is a Maniac,
and anyone who drives slower is an Idiot." - George Carlin

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1255/-7217
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2010, 06:21:23 pm »
Nearly all cars with rear-mounted spoilers qualify.  For the most part, these are nothing more than cosmetic affectations.

Yea, but at least most of them are pleasing to the eye.  On the other hand, the one on my Supra was a bit ugly, but it was at least functional (~90 pounds downforce)

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +298/-675
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Taos
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2010, 06:28:29 pm »
For most cars the tachometer is non functional crap. Especially so with automatic cars; when was the last time you looked at it. And when you do, with automatic, what are you going to do with the sighting.
I look at the tachometer all the time on my GTI as it tells me which gear the transmission has selected... which is sometimes difficult to tell as the engine is quiet and the gearchanges are so fast and smooth.

And. Would you expect the manufacturers to change the instrument panel with different gearboxes in the same car? Especially now that the instrument panel is just one big circuit board in a lot of cars.

I would argue that the non-functional crap is the automatic transmission. Who needs one apart from a relatively small number of disabled people?
The most radical revolutionary will become a conservative the day after the revolution.

Offline kard00d

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +3/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2010, 07:11:21 pm »
For most cars the tachometer is non functional crap. Especially so with automatic cars; when was the last time you looked at it. And when you do, with automatic, what are you going to do with the sighting.
I look at the tachometer all the time on my GTI as it tells me which gear the transmission has selected... which is sometimes difficult to tell as the engine is quiet and the gearchanges are so fast and smooth.

And. Would you expect the manufacturers to change the instrument panel with different gearboxes in the same car? Especially now that the instrument panel is just one big circuit board in a lot of cars.

I would argue that the non-functional crap is the automatic transmission. Who needs one apart from a relatively small number of disabled people?

Would you expect manufacturers to put the time/money into only producing automatic-variants for such a small niche in the market?   A lot of cars get better  (posted) mileage now with autos.   Maybe 8-9 years ago I was thinking we could save a lot of gas across the entire 'world fleet' by ditching the autos, since the slight mpg better efficiency of the manuals would probably add up to real savings... but now I'm not so sure...  seems like now the computers can now shift more optimally than people...

Power windows, power seats, dual climate control, satellite radio, CD changers, GPS, backup cameras, On-star, powerliftgates and CARPET could probably be ditched without affecting our lives too much...  maybe the weight and gas savings could save the world?

Well, maybe keep power windows... although I've been in the car where there was only one (removable) window hand crank between the 4 windows and we all got to our destination OK...  just had to be nice to the other passengers so they'd pass you the crank..

Offline Snowman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +702/-1347
  • “It’s never crowded along the extra mile.”
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Cars: 2012 Audi TT-RS. 2011 Toyota Venza AWD.2004 Honda S2000 Bikes: Giant Defy Avdvanced 0. Giant Talon 29 "hardtail"
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2010, 07:14:25 pm »
Manufactures who put non functional cosmetic bits are worse because they should know better. The general population is another story.

DrJay

« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2010, 07:15:05 pm »
In most cases (present company excluded of course) the most useless crap put into cars (these days) are the drivers (yep i sed it) :-*

mp3butt

« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2010, 08:40:09 pm »
fog lights (actually they are more like driving lights)

Useless, but I like them  :P

Offline dr_spock

• Spock
  • Carma: +46/-56
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2010, 10:38:29 pm »
For most cars the tachometer is non functional crap. Especially so with automatic cars; when was the last time you looked at it. And when you do, with aoutomatic, what are you going to do with the sighting.

I do look at mine for fun.   I watch the rpm struggle upwards ever so slowly as my Honda auto goes up a steep hill.   Or if I mashed the pedal to get up to speed and see the rpm stuck above 3000, I'll ease up on the throttle a bit and the auto will upshift and then it cruises around 2000 rpm to save gas. 

Offline DriverJeff

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +181/-628
    • View Profile
    • Echo Bay Media
  • Cars: Whatever I'm assigned for the week + '13 Lexus GX460, '86 Toyota MR2, '18 Kawasaki Z900RS SE, 2021 Jeep Wrangler (GF's)
« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2010, 12:02:32 am »
Huuuuge wheels (esp. chromed ones).  Seriously heavy and often degrading performance once they get into the big 'dubs' plus.
The past:00 BMW M Rdstr, 19 Jetta, 15 Ducati Scrambler, 09 Triumph Bonneville, 98 Boxster, 17 Kawi Z900, 05 LS 430, 99 LS 400, 17 Subaru STI, 14 Triumph STR, 15 WRX, 09 Ducati Monster 1100,  08 335i, 06 Suzuki SV650S, 06 330i, 06 MX-5, 04 Audi A4, 03 Suzuki SV650S, 98 328i, 93 Civic Si, 85 Corolla

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-574
  • Profesional Dash Stroker
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Tundra, GTI, Triumph Tiger, KTM, C63 AMG, FZ-09, Triumph Speed Triple, VW Golf Wagon TDI, BMW 535i, Honda CRF250L, Hyundai Genesis Coupe, Mitsubishi Outlander, Lotus Exige, Subaru Impreza, Peugeot 106, BMW Z4, Toyota MR2 MKIII, Ford Sierra Sapphire
« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2010, 10:06:13 am »

I actually used mine for the first time last night in the pooring rain, worked well at lighting just that bit at each side that was too dark.  I could now see the lines on the road whereas I couldn't before, even with the wipers on full speed.

Choosing a car based on reliability is like choosing a wife based solely because she is punctual. There is more to it than that...

Offline Angry Chicken

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +131/-157
  • Don't get Clucky Angry!
    • View Profile
  • Cars: drei Deutsche
« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2010, 10:55:37 am »

Nope.  They're not like driving lights. Driving lights are intended to come on with the high beams.  It is actually illegal to have more than one low (standard) beam illuminated per side of the vehicle. 

Excerpt from the Highway Traffic Act for Ontario (http://www.e-laws.gov.on.ca/html/statutes/english/elaws_statutes_90h08_e.htm#BK120)
Lamps

Lamps required on all motor vehicles except motorcycles

62.  (1)  When on a highway at any time from one-half hour before sunset to one-half hour after sunrise and at any other time when, due to insufficient light or unfavourable atmospheric conditions, persons and vehicles on the highway are not clearly discernible at a distance of 150 metres or less, every motor vehicle other than a motorcycle shall carry three lighted lamps in a conspicuous position, one on each side of the front of the vehicle which shall display a white or amber light only, and one on the rear of the vehicle which shall display a red light only. R.S.O. 1990, c. H.8, s. 62 (1).

Fog lights can be used to supplement the low beams only.  As TB points out in a separate post, fog lights are very useful in picking out the sides of the road.  Granted they are often used as an automotive fashion accessory (BMW and Pontiac owners, take note!) but that is not their intended use.

http://www.piaa.com/FAQs/FAQs.html
What is the difference between a fog light & a driving light?
Fog lights provide illumination forward of the vehicle that enhances visibility in fog, rain, snow, or dust. Fog lights are intended to be used in conjunction with standard headlamp low beams. Driving lights are mounted to provide illumination forward of the vehicle and intended to supplement the high beam of a standard headlamp system. It is not intended for use alone or with the low beam of a standard headlamp system.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2010, 10:57:53 am by Angry Chicken »

Offline initial_D

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +30/-50
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 08, 2010, 11:06:25 am »
Speedo?

Offline Rupert

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +49/-160
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 08, 2010, 02:27:13 pm »
I thought that most cars are automatic...here anyway. So it is opposite ...the dashes are compromised to facilitate a tachometer for standard shift cars. This means less room for a larger speedo except for the Mini which scores highly in this regard...placing the tach out of the way behind the steering wheel.

If it requires a tachometer to tell you when to change gear then maybe an auto tranny is called for. Taking ones eyes off the road for such an activity is contra-indicated for safety. In the old days we changed gear by sound and vibration and if that can not be done today then artificial sound should be introduced in lower gear engagement.

Requirements for road going auto's are not what racing cars require. It used to be that race cars only had a tach and the road speed was not important...it was always the max possible at that particular road juncture. Anyway, what does reality have to do with anything.

The lower running lights...have never used mine.
Van roof racks (original equipment) not much use for carrying anything. They are actually curved for styling. I take them off and store till I trade. Have not seen many using them over the years. I use stronger straight after market racks that attatch to the roof rails when required to carry a canoe.

Offline blizzard35

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 08, 2010, 03:51:29 pm »
Yeah...how about those stupid "Baby on Board" signs you seen in every mini-van!   ::)

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +471/-416
    • View Profile
  • Cars: since the beginning of Saf timeLOTUS ELAN,STANDARD... 10, MG midget, MGB (2),Mazda Millennia,Hyundai Veloster and 1997 Ford Ranger 2014 Subaru Forester XT
« Reply #17 on: April 08, 2010, 05:06:25 pm »
..Oy not all of us crap on yer shipboxes......some of us have some pride...... :P
Time is to stop everything happening at once

Offline No H2O

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +12/-35
  • Alps Adventurer
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Acura RDX Elite, 1995 Porsche 993 Carrera, 2015 Porsche 911 Carrera 4 GTS and a slew of motorcycles.
« Reply #18 on: April 08, 2010, 10:12:33 pm »
My Ford Mustang (what a mistake that was) had a tachometer without a redline.

So I asked the service advisor at the Ford dealership if I was supposed to rev it up till I saw a piston go flying through the front hood, take notice of the RPM and then back it off a bit.   :rofl:
What you won't find in my car is a coffee, cigarette and a cell phone. What you will find is a driver; imagine that, a driver in a vehicle. What an effing concept!
A car has to do more than just perform; it has to stir your soul!
A true driver's car does not have cup holders.

Offline No H2O

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +12/-35
  • Alps Adventurer
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Acura RDX Elite, 1995 Porsche 993 Carrera, 2015 Porsche 911 Carrera 4 GTS and a slew of motorcycles.
« Reply #19 on: April 08, 2010, 10:17:19 pm »
Those "Baby On Board" signs in the back windows of cars.