Author Topic: 2012 Hyundai Accent  (Read 58105 times)

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1255/-7215
    • View Profile
Re: 2012 Hyundai Accent
« Reply #40 on: April 26, 2010, 10:15:23 pm »
FWIW, the base model does have visors...and you can get A/C as a dealer installed option. (So says my salesman friend who works at the Fords by my house)

I'm also annoyed that Ford advertises the Fiesta using the hatch in its advertisements saying that it starts at $12,999....when the hatch does not.

So how expensive is it to purchase an AC unit through your dealer and have them install it?  How much of the $3,000 price difference between a theoretical S hatch and the SE hatch (remember that the $4,000 difference you keep quoting includes the $1,000 extra cost of a hatch over a similarly-equipped sedan) would that eat up?  How much faster would a S hatch with dealer-installed AC depreciate than an SE hatch?  Are you actually saving ANY money in the long run?

The SE hatch is still cheap, and is very reasonably priced for what it offers.  If you want one, just get one and quit worrying about some theoretical trim level that's too stripped from the factory for your tastes anyway.

I'm also annoyed that Ford advertises the Fiesta using the hatch in its advertisements saying that it starts at $12,999....when the hatch does not.

I'll bet the car in the ad also had alloy wheels, which the base car doesn't.  EVERY manufacturer does this.  They quote the price of the cheapest car with that name while showing the most expensive.

But I WANT the most stripped car for my work/beater/winter car.  And I can't get a base hatch.  Period.

It's all a moot point anyways.  I'm not buying one now that I know I can't get a base hatch. $4K is too much extra for just a work car.  FWIW, I would not get A/C anyways.  I don't need it.  I was just pointing that out for others who may care.  I can get a Yaris hatch or a Fit hatch (base of course!) for at least $2,500 less than a Fiesta hatch.  Fiesta might be a better car.....but not worth the premium for just a work car.  Disappointed..because I did ALOT of work for this model and was hoping to get one.
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Mitlov

« Reply #41 on: April 26, 2010, 10:43:24 pm »
But I WANT the most stripped car for my work/beater/winter car.  And I can't get a base hatch.  Period.

It's all a moot point anyways.  I'm not buying one now that I know I can't get a base hatch. $4K is too much extra for just a work car.  FWIW, I would not get A/C anyways.  I don't need it.  I was just pointing that out for others who may care.  I can get a Yaris hatch or a Fit hatch (base of course!) for at least $2,500 less than a Fiesta hatch.  Fiesta might be a better car.....but not worth the premium for just a work car.  Disappointed..because I did ALOT of work for this model and was hoping to get one.

Well Ford is going to lose some sales to people who are buying on price first and foremost, but they're going to gain a bunch of higher-profit sales to people who want a nice subcompact instead of a work vehicle with a touch of lipstick slapped on it.  

Besides, we all know you would have gotten a Yaris anyway ;) because (1) it's a Toyota, and (2) it's cheaper.  The Fiesta would never compete with the Yaris for the "price first and foremost crowd," because the Yaris is a cheaper car than the Fiesta (in both the good and bad senses of the word).

Offline sparky

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 26, 2010, 10:45:41 pm »

The Fiesta may be the best-driving new B-segment car, but the Accent has got to be the best-looking.

The new Accent doesn't do a thing for me, but it sure has a lot of creases. It must be the origami car of the year. I think Hyundai's stylists are trying way too hard. There's still something to be said for simplicity and purity of line.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 26, 2010, 11:06:52 pm »

Well Ford is going to lose some sales to people who are buying on price first and foremost, but they're going to gain a bunch of higher-profit sales to people who want a nice subcompact instead of a work vehicle with a touch of lipstick slapped on it.  

Besides, we all know you would have gotten a Yaris anyway ;) because (1) it's a Toyota, and (2) it's cheaper.  The Fiesta would never compete with the Yaris for the "price first and foremost crowd," because the Yaris is a cheaper car than the Fiesta (in both the good and bad senses of the word).

I'd be all over the Ford if it was cheaper.  I KNOW it's a better car than the Yaris.  And as I said...I did ALOT of work on the Ford..so I'd like to buy one.  I suspect I may wait until I find a used one, demo, etc that I can get for about $12,000K.

I'm a huge fan of the Ford..and Ford's in general.  I'm at "ground zero" in the production process so I immediately see the improvements in quality Ford has made, and I have zero qualms buying a Ford.

Offline Dante

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +33/-97
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 VW GTI DSG, 2011 BMW 328i xDrive 6MT, 2007 Mitsubishi Outlander
« Reply #44 on: April 26, 2010, 11:11:03 pm »
FYI:   A literally stripped off Yaris LE 5-door in Canada is $15,000. A much better equipped Fiesta SE hatch is $16,800. When you get to the Yaris RS, it is MORE expensive and severely lower equipped than the Fiesta SES.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2010, 11:12:37 pm by carcrazy »

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: April 26, 2010, 11:17:05 pm »
Yea...you can get either of these econoboxes to go over $20K if that's your thing.  Me?  Since it is an economy car (beater to some), I like mine to be economy..the cheaper the better.

So I'd take a 3 door Yaris if buying new.  But I just may wait for a used Fiesta....the Echo still has some life left in it!

Offline Dante

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: April 26, 2010, 11:40:16 pm »
Yea...you can get either of these econoboxes to go over $20K if that's your thing.  Me?  Since it is an economy car (beater to some), I like mine to be economy..the cheaper the better.

So I'd take a 3 door Yaris if buying new.  But I just may wait for a used Fiesta....the Echo still has some life left in it!

True, but with most B-cars on the market, you still pay a good chunk of money and get very little. The Fiesta is a game changer. For $20K you get a real car and a good quality one for that matter.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: April 27, 2010, 12:52:29 am »

True, but with most B-cars on the market, you still pay a good chunk of money and get very little. The Fiesta is a game changer. For $20K you get a real car and a good quality one for that matter.

True...but if I had $20K kicking around, I'd buy used...and not B segment.  $20K in a used car gets you a very nice Lexus, BMW, Infiniti, etc..

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +310/-6813
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Hobby Car: 15 Mustang Vert, V6, manual, 3.55 lsd; 2024 MDX Aspec; 2022 F150 TREMOR lifted
« Reply #48 on: April 27, 2010, 03:22:40 am »
FYI:   A literally stripped off Yaris LE 5-door in Canada is $15,000. A much better equipped Fiesta SE hatch is $16,800. When you get to the Yaris RS, it is MORE expensive and severely lower equipped than the Fiesta SES.

If ppl are talking about basic Yaris transportation then it's the 3 Door CE which is $13,900 list.  However, the important part that is not mentioned is the monthly payment.  Yes, vast majority of ppl finance new cars.  :)

Yaris CE, manual tranny, with AC, $500 discount which any buyer can get by just asking, all Ontario taxes, costs $300. per month for 5 long years and I can't see that changing for the summer.  :)

Of course Fiesta is a better vehicle, 8 year reliability still unknown, but for ppl in this segment monthly payments are everything. 

Offline wing

• Big Wig
  • Administrator
  • Carma: +279/-320
  • If you ain't first ... you're last!
    • View Profile
    • Drivesideways
  • Cars: 2009 Lexus ISF, 2009 Lexus LX570,2011 Audi A5 Touring Car
« Reply #49 on: April 27, 2010, 09:06:09 am »
Ford specially talked about not trying to be the cheapest because ... someone will always try to be cheaper.  Ford is going against the Fit and Yaris in similar trim and it does it better at a better.

Now this week I'm in an Yaris, it's $1,500 ish more than a Fiesta SE hatch with Cruise and auto and it doesn't seem to have nearly as many features....

Offline Dante

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: April 27, 2010, 09:08:14 am »

True...but if I had $20K kicking around, I'd buy used...and not B segment.  $20K in a used car gets you a very nice Lexus, BMW, Infiniti, etc..

13K or whatever your target price is buys you a decent used car too, so we are shifting the discussion. We were talking new vs new B-segment car.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2010, 09:28:27 am by carcrazy »

Mitlov

« Reply #51 on: April 27, 2010, 10:58:57 am »
13K or whatever your target price is buys you a decent used car too, so we are shifting the discussion. We were talking new vs new B-segment car.

Exactly.  The "I could get a used X for the price of this new Y" has nothing to do with the specific new car you're talking about.  That argument applies to ANY new car.

Offline Dante

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: April 27, 2010, 11:06:25 am »
Going back to the 2012 Accent, it seems like Hyundai decided to offer a low-tech 4 A/T for the new model. The 1.6L engine seems to be in the cards though.

blownb310

« Reply #53 on: April 27, 2010, 10:20:22 pm »
I hope that Hyundai comes out with a diesel for their smallest model in the future. I too, like bare bones fuel efficient cars.

Mike

Offline Ontariodriver

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +39/-240
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: April 27, 2010, 11:16:07 pm »
I hope that Hyundai comes out with a diesel for their smallest model in the future. I too, like bare bones fuel efficient cars.

Mike

LOL in ya dreams. In NA there never going to be wide spread diesel use. A modern small petrol engine can come pretty close these days. Once you get to full-size diesels make more sense. But little Econoboxes not so much.  ;)

Mitlov

« Reply #55 on: April 28, 2010, 08:46:59 pm »

Mike

I doubt Hyundai will go that route; they seem to be infatuated with hybrids like their Japanese competitors.

But fear not; the VW Polo should hit North America pretty soon, and that's got a couple of super-fuel-efficient diesels.  Also, Fiat-Chrysler might offer a diesel in the Cinqueciento.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: April 28, 2010, 08:51:42 pm »

I doubt Hyundai will go that route; they seem to be infatuated with hybrids like their Japanese competitors.

You mean for out market?  When I was on vacation, I saw plenty of Hyundai diesels...

Mitlov

« Reply #57 on: April 28, 2010, 08:55:57 pm »

You mean for out market?  When I was on vacation, I saw plenty of Hyundai diesels...

Yes, for our market.  Just like Toyota sells diesels in Europe but we're probably never going to see one here, because in North America they're all about hybrid this and hybrid that.

Besides heavy-duty pickups, the only companies which have brought non-luxury diesels to the North American market in recent years are VW (various Golf-platform cars) and Chrysler (Liberty and Grand Cherokee).  VW's definitely not giving up the segment, and I bet Fiat-Chrysler will continue the tradition.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: April 28, 2010, 08:58:00 pm »
^^You forgot SMART.    ;)

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport