Author Topic: 2012 Hyundai Accent  (Read 58114 times)

Mitlov

Re: 2012 Hyundai Accent
« Reply #20 on: April 23, 2010, 04:13:54 pm »
Enough speculation, here's the real thing:

The Fiesta may be the best-driving new B-segment car, but the Accent has got to be the best-looking.

It'll have a 1.6L 120-hp engine in North America, mated to five-speed manual or, regrettably, a four-speed auto (for comparison, the Fiesta has a 5MT and a 6AT).

Full gallery and info:
http://www.autoblog.com/2010/04/23/beijing-2010-2011-hyundai-accent-debuts-as-verna-across-the-pac/

Offline Dante

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +33/-97
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 VW GTI DSG, 2011 BMW 328i xDrive 6MT, 2007 Mitsubishi Outlander
« Reply #21 on: April 23, 2010, 04:26:49 pm »
I think it has better proportions than the Fiesta sedan. It looks good overall IMO.
However, the interior hints to the econobox it's meant to be and I find Fiesta's interior more stylish (especially the Euro models). Also, that lower grill is a cut-and-paste from the NA Fiesta. Ahrrrr... Hyundai can't help it still.

Offline Seafoam

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +89/-202
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 23, 2010, 08:37:09 pm »
 I see a lot of Sonata heritage in the body. Nice
2023 Honda Civic EX-B
2004 Mazdaspeed Miata
2016 Toyota Tacoma SR

Offline Ontariodriver

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +39/-240
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 23, 2010, 09:00:42 pm »
Enough speculation, here's the real thing:

:o Slap himself must'n like Hyundai.  :o

It'll have a 1.6L 120-hp engine in North America, mated to five-speed manual or, regrettably, a four-speed auto (for comparison, the Fiesta has a 5MT and a 6AT).

I don't think that matter if you consider a Corolla. Thats seems to be fine. Really it looks just like a Squash Sonata. 

Offline TopGun

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +43/-165
  • Carbon fibre > Soft touch dash material
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 23, 2010, 09:05:24 pm »

The Fiesta may be the best-driving new B-segment car, but the Accent has got to be the best-looking.

You've flipped!  The Hyundai fever must have you in it's grip.  Ummm...no thanks...the proportions on the Accent (at least in that photo) aren't right, and the formalness of the front-end doesn't match the format or dare I say the purpose/intended segment for the car.  Another overstyled Hyundai.

Me takey this one...

Mitlov

« Reply #25 on: April 23, 2010, 09:06:05 pm »
I don't think that matter if you consider a Corolla. Thats seems to be fine. Really it looks just like a Squash Sonata. 

A four-speed auto is just fine if all you want is basic transportation.  Not so great if you want a nice B-segment car that doesn't feel like every possible corner was cut to save money.

The new Accent's exterior screams "nice B-segmenter," but its interior and transmission scream "basic transportation."  It's got a bit of a split personality, caught between the Fiestas of the world in one hand and the Yarises of the world in the other.

Mitlov

« Reply #26 on: April 23, 2010, 09:08:52 pm »

You've flipped!  The Hyundai fever must have you in it's grip.  Ummm...no thanks...the proportions on the Accent (at least in that photo) aren't right, and the formalness of the front-end doesn't match the format or dare I say the purpose/intended segment for the car.  Another overstyled Hyundai.

Me takey this one...

I was thinking of the Fiesta sedan, whose proportions are all wrong on the back half:

The Fiesta 5-door, on the other hand, is probably the best-looking B-segmenter currently in North America or coming here next year (let's wait and see what North-American-bound 2012 MiTo five-door looks like, though).

EDIT:  Never mind, I think the Fiesta sedan actually does look better than the Accent sedan, though it's still not as nicely-proportioned as the pert Fiesta five-door.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2010, 09:11:00 pm by Mitlov »

Offline 2JDM

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +119/-141
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 23, 2010, 09:11:50 pm »
Props to the Accent. Overstyled now, but won't look aged in a few years.  :thumbup: The Civic right now doesn't look aged, and its over 4 years old.

The Fiesta sedan reminds me of the Versa sedan... :hurl:
« Last Edit: April 23, 2010, 09:14:44 pm by 2hondas »

Offline Cudworthhab

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +5/-4
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Prius V Rav 4 Hybrid
« Reply #28 on: April 23, 2010, 11:36:42 pm »
I was thinking it kinda looked like a Yaris

Offline TopGun

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +43/-165
  • Carbon fibre > Soft touch dash material
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 23, 2010, 11:39:06 pm »
I was thinking of the Fiesta sedan, whose proportions are all wrong on the back half:
EDIT:  Never mind, I think the Fiesta sedan actually does look better than the Accent sedan, though it's still not as nicely-proportioned as the pert Fiesta five-door.

Agreed...on all counts.

Offline Ontariodriver

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +39/-240
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: April 24, 2010, 09:28:49 am »

Agreed...on all counts.

I don't think it was ever design to be with a boot. They seem to do that as after thought. They started doing that back in Orion and Sapphira days. Americans sure love a boot. Canadians seems to like Hatches the most.

Offline MKII

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +19/-83
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 24, 2010, 09:46:26 am »

It'll have a 1.6L 120-hp engine in North America, mated to five-speed manual or, regrettably, a four-speed auto (for comparison, the Fiesta has a 5MT and a "PowerShift" 6 speed, Dual Clutch AT). Fixed that for ya

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1255/-7215
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 26, 2010, 05:32:00 pm »

Agreed...on all counts.

I like the Fiesta hatch too....too bad you can't get a base 5 door for the same as the sedan..$12,999.  If you go to Ford's site, they even show a 5 door in the adverts and it says "Starting at $12,999" which isn't true at all.  If you want the hatch, base price is $16,799.  I think it's ridiculous to have to pony up an additional ~$4K to get the hatch.
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Mitlov

« Reply #33 on: April 26, 2010, 05:58:47 pm »
I like the Fiesta hatch too....too bad you can't get a base 5 door for the same as the sedan..$12,999.  If you go to Ford's site, they even show a 5 door in the adverts and it says "Starting at $12,999" which isn't true at all.  If you want the hatch, base price is $16,799.  I think it's ridiculous to have to pony up an additional ~$4K to get the hatch.

For what it's worth, it's not that the hatch is $4,000 more expensive than a similarly-equipped sedan, it's just that the super-ridiculous stripper version (the Fiesta S) only comes in one body type instead of both.  And by "stripper," we're talking NO compact disc player, NO power door locks, NO power windows, NO sun visors, NO dome lamps, etc.  Would you, personally, buy a Fiesta S over a Fiesta SE, in light of what you're giving up? 

Comparing prices for the SE sedan to the SE hatch, or the SEL sedan versus the SES hatch, they're very close in price ($800 difference in the States, typical for a sedan versus a hatch).

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 26, 2010, 06:04:50 pm »
^^I'd LOVE to have a stripper Fiesta hatch for a to work car.  My Echo is a stripper model and is an awesome work car...

Mitlov

« Reply #35 on: April 26, 2010, 06:16:16 pm »
You'd want a work car without dome lights or sun visors?  Seriously?  I have trouble when some guy who drives a Lexus IS350 complains about paying for a car with sun visors and dome lights, "work car" or otherwise.  Just buy the SE, which is still pretty darned cheap in the grand scheme of things.  The S is like a car that got taken off the assembly line 20% before the end of the line.

The raison d'etre of the Fiesta S is the lowest possible price.  That's why there's no CD player, no frickin dome lights, no frickin' sun visors, etc.  You can make a sedan cheaper than a hatch, so they made the Fiesta S a sedan.  I'm betting that the S will be a statistically-insignificant portion of their sales compared to the SE and the SES/SEL, so there wasn't enough incentive for them to offer the S in more than one body style.  And as long as they were just doing one, they went with the cheapest.

Offline Seafoam

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +89/-202
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 26, 2010, 08:20:26 pm »
 No dome lights or sunvisors . :o
 Are you sure ? I can see the powerlocks and power windows not being standard equipment . Seems kind of strange to me.

Mitlov

« Reply #37 on: April 26, 2010, 08:58:38 pm »
No dome lights or sunvisors . :o
 Are you sure ? I can see the powerlocks and power windows not being standard equipment . Seems kind of strange to me.

http://www.fordvehicles.com/cars/fiesta/compare-models/?models=ssedan|sesedan

Okay, on second glance, the S has a center dome light, but not the map lights or rear dome light of the SE.

By my reading, it does lack sun visors.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 26, 2010, 09:10:27 pm »
You'd want a work car without dome lights or sun visors?  Seriously?  I have trouble when some guy who drives a Lexus IS350 complains about paying for a car with sun visors and dome lights, "work car" or otherwise.  Just buy the SE, which is still pretty darned cheap in the grand scheme of things.  The S is like a car that got taken off the assembly line 20% before the end of the line.

The raison d'etre of the Fiesta S is the lowest possible price.  That's why there's no CD player, no frickin dome lights, no frickin' sun visors, etc.  You can make a sedan cheaper than a hatch, so they made the Fiesta S a sedan.  I'm betting that the S will be a statistically-insignificant portion of their sales compared to the SE and the SES/SEL, so there wasn't enough incentive for them to offer the S in more than one body style.  And as long as they were just doing one, they went with the cheapest.

No..my complaint is if I want a hatch...I can't get a "cheap" one.  I have to pay $4K more for the privilege of having an extra door.  Sure the sedan is available as a cheapie...but the hatch is much cooler IMO..and the one I'd want.  I already looked into leasing one.  But not going to spend an extra $4K (even though I own a Lexus).  Why get a Fiesta sedan when it's equipped like my Echo?  No point.  I want the hatch....

FWIW, the base model does have visors...and you can get A/C as a dealer installed option. (So says my salesman friend who works at the Fords by my house)

I'm also annoyed that Ford advertises the Fiesta using the hatch in its advertisements saying that it starts at $12,999....when the hatch does not.

Mitlov

« Reply #39 on: April 26, 2010, 09:47:11 pm »
FWIW, the base model does have visors...and you can get A/C as a dealer installed option. (So says my salesman friend who works at the Fords by my house)

I'm also annoyed that Ford advertises the Fiesta using the hatch in its advertisements saying that it starts at $12,999....when the hatch does not.

So how expensive is it to purchase an AC unit through your dealer and have them install it?  How much of the $3,000 price difference between a theoretical S hatch and the SE hatch (remember that the $4,000 difference you keep quoting includes the $1,000 extra cost of a hatch over a similarly-equipped sedan) would that eat up?  How much faster would a S hatch with dealer-installed AC depreciate than an SE hatch?  Are you actually saving ANY money in the long run?

The SE hatch is still cheap, and is very reasonably priced for what it offers.  If you want one, just get one and quit worrying about some theoretical trim level that's too stripped from the factory for your tastes anyway.

I'll bet the car in the ad also had alloy wheels, which the base car doesn't.  EVERY manufacturer does this.  They quote the price of the cheapest car with that name while showing the most expensive.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2010, 09:53:00 pm by Mitlov »