Author Topic: 2011 Kia Sorento EX-V6; Day 1  (Read 24579 times)

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +471/-416
    • View Profile
  • Cars: since the beginning of Saf timeLOTUS ELAN,STANDARD... 10, MG midget, MGB (2),Mazda Millennia,Hyundai Veloster and 1997 Ford Ranger 2014 Subaru Forester XT
Re: 2011 Kia Sorento EX-V6; Day 1
« Reply #20 on: April 01, 2010, 02:08:27 pm »
..in my daze tha BACK SEATS were fer snoggin...not snuggin................lets jest Kall 'em wot they are BOGUS selling points or BEER BOX HOLDERS............. :think: :thumbup: :banana: :light: :drool: :fall:
Time is to stop everything happening at once

Offline Shnak

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +8/-49
  • New toy! :)
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 Hyundai Sonata Limited, 2006 Kia Sportage
« Reply #21 on: April 01, 2010, 02:32:33 pm »
Okay, so is Kia's implementation of the 3rd row seats in the Sorento any worse than what Toyota did in their RAV4, Hyundai in their Santa Fe, etc.? Wouldn't that be useful information? How about compared to the Kia Rondo?

EDIT: here's another reviewer who was miraculously able to battle through the PITA that is sitting in the 3rd row seats... http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/review-2010-kia-sorento/#more-349236
The third row is very low to the floor, as is often the case, and my 5-9 self barely fits. For transporting kids, though, there’s more than enough space.

There... if 5'9" adults can fit in the 3rd row seats, and space is more than enough for kids,, I'd say Kia's made a good decision to include those extra seats in the Sorento. Sounds like they could be useful on occasion. I'm not entirely sure I'd pick 3rd row seats over a big hole in the floor to put more cargo, but that's me. I'm sure many others would prefer having that option.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2010, 02:44:27 pm by Shnak »

Offline wing

• Big Wig
  • Administrator
  • Carma: +279/-320
  • If you ain't first ... you're last!
    • View Profile
    • Drivesideways
  • Cars: 2009 Lexus ISF, 2009 Lexus LX570,2011 Audi A5 Touring Car
« Reply #22 on: April 01, 2010, 04:16:04 pm »
My head touched the headliner.  In order to get in, I had to push the front seat forward quite a bit, flip the seat and then get in.  The flipping of the seat is a two step process that is nearly impossible once you are sardined into the back.  Can I fit, yes, would I want to be in the vehicle while moving now.

Now my question to you.

If 2 other reviewers already told you this information why did I have to?  I told you information they decided to omit and what I feel to be more valuable.  If you went to a dealership they would say, "Hey look at this, flip boom and you are in the back."  You'll love it, then you'll get home and find out that you can only do that on the passenger side because the salesman smartly didn't direct to the driver's side, and the seats were setup to not get stuck. 

I like to point out things you won't notice in a 10 minute test drive or a dealership showroom.  If you found the info other places that's great they chose to tell you that which IMO is pointless.  Everyone knows these seats suck.

I don't remember how bad the santa Fe was I haven't tested in in forever, I've never been given a Rav4 with the third row, Toyota is smart they know they are useless so they give me a car I won't complain about ;)

Offline dutch

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +24/-15
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 GMC Acadia, 2015 Toyota Corolla S
« Reply #23 on: April 01, 2010, 04:17:38 pm »
..in my daze tha BACK SEATS were fer snoggin...not snuggin................lets jest Kall 'em wot they are BOGUS selling points or BEER BOX HOLDERS............. :think: :thumbup: :banana: :light: :drool: :fall:

LOL!!   ;D

Really, in most of the SUV's the third row is useless - one of my friends has a Pathfinder with the 3rd row - the only time the seats have been up is when he bought it. If you really need to be able to transport enough people to need the third row seats (or require extra room for "snoggin") buy a minivan
« Last Edit: April 01, 2010, 04:19:19 pm by dutch »

Offline libraman

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +1/-4
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 01, 2010, 04:52:31 pm »
I would get a manual. Probabaly better than the auto in real world tests.

No matter how much I try, I just don't enjoy using auto trannys.

Offline Winterpeg

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +8/-10
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '07 Chev Malibu LT V6
« Reply #25 on: April 01, 2010, 06:02:15 pm »
So the 3rd row seats are a "touchy" issue eh.....
At least this Sorento looks ok...it's leaps and bounds over the last generation in that department.    ;)
Have Car......Will Travel

Offline Dante

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +33/-97
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 VW GTI DSG, 2011 BMW 328i xDrive 6MT, 2007 Mitsubishi Outlander
« Reply #26 on: April 01, 2010, 06:13:59 pm »
The 3rd row in anything but the large full-size SUVs (or should I say XXL SUVs) is useless; think Sequoia for exaample.
Even if  you can get in there, or even if the kids seem to be confortable in the 3rd row, I don't think it's very safe place to put them. The rear seats are usualy very, very close to the hatch; think a serious rear-end accident.
IMO, the 3rd row seats shouldn't even be mentioned in these reviews other than as negative becasue they add unnecessary weight to the car.

Offline wing

• Big Wig
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Drivesideways
« Reply #27 on: April 01, 2010, 08:01:39 pm »
I agree the third row has your head about 6" from the glass.

Carl_NDelta

« Reply #28 on: April 01, 2010, 08:33:49 pm »
So.... just how firm are those front seats?  I've read that the Chev Traverse and and Buick Enclaves are very comfortable.  Seats, sound system and headlight illumination are critical for the long drives I do several times a year.

One thing I read about the Sante Fe is that you cannot dim the instrument panel low enough for comfortable night driving.  Does the Kia suffer from the same control?

Offline whaddaiknow

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +185/-4812
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 01, 2010, 09:09:50 pm »
The 3rd row in anything but the large full-size SUVs (or should I say XXL SUVs) is useless; think Sequoia for exaample.
Even if  you can get in there, or even if the kids seem to be confortable in the 3rd row, I don't think it's very safe place to put them. The rear seats are usualy very, very close to the hatch; think a serious rear-end accident.
IMO, the 3rd row seats shouldn't even be mentioned in these reviews other than as negative becasue they add unnecessary weight to the car.

Excellent point! I've had the Mazda5 with the 3rd row and would never ever put a living thing in the 3rd row for that particular reason. If you happen to be rearended, the 3rd row occupants simply have no chance!!! Especially if hit by a pickup truck with a high bumper to strike right into the rear hatch. No room!

That's exactly why, when purchasing the Santa Fe, I specifically told the salesman not to even bother offering me the third row:

1) useless for adults
2) totally unsafe for anyone so I would ask you to shoot me dead right on the spot if you ever see me put a child there.

Great review, wing.

Offline wing

• Big Wig
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Drivesideways
« Reply #30 on: April 01, 2010, 09:36:34 pm »
So.... just how firm are those front seats?  I've read that the Chev Traverse and and Buick Enclaves are very comfortable.  Seats, sound system and headlight illumination are critical for the long drives I do several times a year.

One thing I read about the Sante Fe is that you cannot dim the instrument panel low enough for comfortable night driving.  Does the Kia suffer from the same control?

The front seats seem very comfortable the elbow rest is a little harsh though but I have felt comfortable besides that while driving, they do not seem overly firm to me at all.

I  had no issue with the dimming of the dash it actually is not overly bright at all.

Offline chrischasescars

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +19/-31
  • The Voice of Reason
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 01, 2010, 10:10:20 pm »

Well an Edmunds' reviewer could do it...

http://www.edmunds.com/kia/sorento/2011/review.html
Pros

decent-sized third-row seat

Did Edmunds turn itself into an automotive comedy site as an April Fools joke? That third row seat is anything but "decent-sized."

From my first drive article on the Sorento: "The optional third row seat is usable, though barely, by adults; the bigger problem is gaining access to the third row, a feat not to be attempted by those of limited flexibility."

Like James said, my head touched the headliner too, and I'm 5'7" on a good day; I wouldn't put my 5'2" mom back there (mainly cos I actually like her).

A third row seat that's decent-sized for kids is not decent-sized by any general definition. My opinion? The third-row seating in compact/mid-sized SUVs is a pointless expense. The cramped extra seating doesn't make up for the cargo space it occupies, even when folded away.
I used to work here.

Offline chrischasescars

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +19/-31
  • The Voice of Reason
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 01, 2010, 10:14:28 pm »

I noticed the dash lighting issue in the Santa Fe, actually. My issue was that the blue radio display didn't dim as much as I'd have liked it to, and the glare was distracting on unlit/rural roads. Now, that was in a 2007 model, so I can't say if they've improved on that. And come to think of it, I noticed the same thing in a 2007 Elantra, too, I think it was.

aknutson

« Reply #33 on: April 05, 2010, 12:26:36 pm »

I noticed the dash lighting issue in the Santa Fe, actually. My issue was that the blue radio display didn't dim as much as I'd have liked it to, and the glare was distracting on unlit/rural roads. Now, that was in a 2007 model, so I can't say if they've improved on that. And come to think of it, I noticed the same thing in a 2007 Elantra, too, I think it was.

Re: Santa Fe vs. Sorento and interior lighting...

I notice the same thing with our '10 Santa Fe - the main display on the center console is backlit in bright blue (as are the rest of the controls), but also note that the speedo/gauge cluster is backlit in white, so you can turn down the interior lights quite dim and still have an easily visible gauge cluster. It can be offending if left on maximum brightness, and I wish the center display was a little dimmer, but it's not a deal-breaker. Speaking of lighting, it is worth mentioning that the headlights on the Santa Fe (as with perhaps many other new cars) is excellent - the breadth of vision that the projector beams provide is noticeably better than that on typical reflector-style headlights, and the crisp beam cutoff looks sharp and prevents offending light from blinding oncoming drivers. I'm sure the Sorento would be similar.

The interior of the Santa Fe is aimed at a more luxury-oriented buyer as opposed to the sportier Sorento. For instance, they use fake wood-coloured trim in the Santa as opposed to the black finishes in the Sorento. The whole dash layout and passenger space in the Santa Fe, especially with tan interior is very bright and airy, whereas the Sorento is darker, sportier, and meant to be a little more aggressive - choosing between these two vehicles is really a matter of preference as the mechanicals are almost identical. As some have mentioned, pricing is a little hotter on the Hyundai, which to me makes it an attractive deal, considering it has all the new hardware that the Kia gets under the sheetmetal.

On a functional note, the C-pillar on the Sorento looks as though it would cause a significant blind spot, whereas rearward visibility is excellent in the Santa Fe through the larger windows. Regardless, this vehicle is dead-easy to park - turning radius is what one would expect of a svelte midsize sedan, which is to be expected considering the real meat-and-potatoes of this CUV are in fact the Sonata/Magentis sedans. It just seems odd being able to make such a tight turn in a vehicle this large...yet another pleasant feature of CUV's as opposed to SUV's. 

Offline dutch

• Learner's Permit
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 05, 2010, 05:44:07 pm »
day 3???

Offline wing

• Big Wig
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Drivesideways
« Reply #35 on: April 05, 2010, 07:07:10 pm »
Coming soon, we took Friday and Monday as holidays just like the Govies!

goonboy

« Reply #36 on: April 05, 2010, 09:32:32 pm »
I don't know how the Sorento performs in relation to the Santa Fe which I was impressed with, but all I can say is I normally like most of Kia's lineup, but from a styling standpoint, the Sorento gets a thumbs down.

Why?  First of all, the exterior styling flat out looks dated.  In particular, the front end.  Smoked/tinted head lamp lenses?  Sorry, you are talking very early 2000's.  The rear end? Just plain boring.  The interior?  Very cheap and drab looking.  Way too much black and lots of hard, cheap looking plastic at that.  Also,  any time you use red quartz LED for your display, it instantly reeks of 'el cheapo' unless maybe you are taking in an Audi.  The Sorento looks cheaper that it actually is.  The Santa Fe on the other hand, is slightly pricier, but so much classier looking inside and out. 

Offline Shnak

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +8/-49
  • New toy! :)
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 Hyundai Sonata Limited, 2006 Kia Sportage
« Reply #37 on: April 06, 2010, 08:49:30 am »

Pros

Did Edmunds turn itself into an automotive comedy site as an April Fools joke? That third row seat is anything but "decent-sized."

From my first drive article on the Sorento: "The optional third row seat is usable, though barely, by adults; the bigger problem is gaining access to the third row, a feat not to be attempted by those of limited flexibility."

Like James said, my head touched the headliner too, and I'm 5'7" on a good day; I wouldn't put my 5'2" mom back there (mainly cos I actually like her).

A third row seat that's decent-sized for kids is not decent-sized by any general definition. My opinion? The third-row seating in compact/mid-sized SUVs is a pointless expense. The cramped extra seating doesn't make up for the cargo space it occupies, even when folded away.

How does that sentence even make sense?! "decent-sized" can mean a number of things; decent-sized compared to other offerings in this segment, decent-sized for kids, decent-sized for short trips, etc. Because you can't fit adults doesn't mean they're not usable at all.

I wouldn't have a use for a 5+2 SUV right now... but maybe later on when I have a couple of kids that are involved in activities and need to carry some of their friends around on occasion. I don't see anything wrong with having two extra seats if you need them. If you don't, fold them into the floor and that's it. You do lose a bit of space into the floor, but really, how useful are those 6" deep plastic bins every maker puts there instead of fold-away 3rd row seats? Not very much.

Offline dutch

• Learner's Permit
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 06, 2010, 09:08:52 am »
Coming soon, we took Friday and Monday as holidays just like the Govies!

driving different cars, lots of holidays........  Where do we sign up? ;)

aknutson

« Reply #39 on: April 06, 2010, 11:00:43 am »

Pros

How does that sentence even make sense?! "decent-sized" can mean a number of things; decent-sized compared to other offerings in this segment, decent-sized for kids, decent-sized for short trips, etc. Because you can't fit adults doesn't mean they're not usable at all.

I wouldn't have a use for a 5+2 SUV right now... but maybe later on when I have a couple of kids that are involved in activities and need to carry some of their friends around on occasion. I don't see anything wrong with having two extra seats if you need them. If you don't, fold them into the floor and that's it. You do lose a bit of space into the floor, but really, how useful are those 6" deep plastic bins every maker puts there instead of fold-away 3rd row seats? Not very much.

Actually those bins are awesome - use them all the time for small stuff that would typically roll around in the back. Mind you, if you did have the 3rd row seats, you could just rest stuff in the seats, so I suppose it's a moot point. One comment though is that I'm always concerned about rear-passenger safety in vehicles that try to maximize rear-passenger occupancy in hatchback-style vehicles. It may be a little safer because the Sorento rides higher than a typical hatchback car or wagon, but with the third row set up, the rear passengers have the back of their heads awfully close to the rear glass where there isn't a lot of structure to protect in a rear-end collision. Like I said, it's a little bit protectionist to think along these lines, and I'm not the guy that avoids buying vehicles because 'what if', but the 3rd row has always made me nervous for that reason. Minivans typically have a whole bunch of room behind the 3rd row, so if you really need to haul people and safety is a concern, I would think that or a bigger SUV would be a better option.